Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I didn't watch the announcement show, just quickly watched the trailer. I liked the world, I think it looked cool, and so did the many creatures. So, I enjoyed the trailer, and at this early stage it's all I can refer to. I'm sure there are features in there that we do not know of yet.

My biggest concern is whether all who visits Batuu will be doomed to live the rest of their lives as a Star Wars fan, or if say a scientist can go to Batuu on business (simmers can imagine anything, right?), and returning back home without a sign of SW. I think it would be cool having a lab/greenhouse on that planet. If there is a market, it might be cool traveling up there to sell your cowplant and what not. But if you need to swing your laser sword on every trip it seems like a wasted opportunity.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    rinre33 wrote: »
    In summary: ugh :s

•from what it looks like it's another vacation like world. The build looks super out of place in Willow Creek.
    •(I don't know of this si the case) but seems like another story driven, strangerville pack
    •doesn't look like much for toddlers, kids or elders...again.
    •super unusable assets outside of the theme of the pack
    •I'm confused about what we saw in the trailer, like what is this pack actually about outside of the theme?? Do we learn to be jedi?? Is it a theme park? New life states or no???

I'm a bit disappointed, but let's see what else we learn I guess..

A german gamechanger thinks the aliens are all just masks and nothing else. Their hands are normal and everything about them seems normal, so they are most likely masks and not life stages. Townies will show up wearing those and it will be annoying. I am not even getting this for free.
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    I will have a nightmare about stormtroopers roaming around Willow Creek
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I dont hate Star Wars, but this is a total rip off of that game, do they have no one with any actual ideas anymore? The whole thing is a rip off and even if I was not boycotting buying any other packs until bugs are finally fixed, i would still not buy this if for no other reason than principle.

I cant believe they did this instead of expanding on already existing Aliens, or their world. And yes, if they did it right they could have created another world that could be considered another part of Sixam, whether you had the other game packs needed for the other parts or not. It could have been done, they have a wormhole to get to that one.

Well if they had created a wormhole to get from another area, that could take you to more of their world, even a different name, where their world exists and Aliens walk freely( not Star Wars style) and you can get to it with a connecting area that is thru basegane. Give the already existing Aliens more attention, and add extra things if you have the other packs, you know incentives for others to want the other packs , I dont understand why they did this. Definitely not getting it, not even if they gave it for free
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    They could have made a space themed pack with references to star wars but still Sims specific. This is just too immersion breaking. Really really bad idea. Overt cash grab. They have NO shame left it seems.

SO I guess it's canon now that The Sims and Star Wars take place in the same FICTIONAL UNIVERSE. This has tremendous implications.

As far as I understand, batuu will be a normal world, right next to Willow Creek and Oasis Spings... It will not be a vacation world. And there will be sims like Rey and Kylo Ren just walking around...

I guess Star Wars is just part of the sims now.
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I'm usually open minded about Sims packs but for this I'm out (1st pack I'll be missing), aside from ONE hairstyle there will be nothing else I could see myself using.

My other gripes for this:

1/ I get that the Sims isn't a franchise to cater solely for my needs and some people will like this....but really? We get to drive a millennium falcon over a standard car? We get an R2D2/BB8 droid over non object babies? Is this honestly what is high on the priority list??

2/ I actually like the original star wars trilogy and even if I wanted to merge my love of the Sims and Star Wars....given the basic-ness of the Sims base game is this *really* going to deliver a decent star wars experience? Will Sims be mortal enemies after a lightsabre duel or will they just go back to the standard happy interactions? Are you going to actually explore Battuu or is this just going to be another small world, obvious set dressing and limited/barely furnished lots?

I'm not angry with the team, this is clearly the agenda straight from EA rather than Maxis. Nor am I surprised really. Just one big massive m'eh!

Good luck to those who do buy it but after the disappointment of Realm of Magic I'm steering well clear of this one!
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    “With The Sims, we’ve always strived to create content that takes players’ imaginations beyond their limits to tell fun and unique stories in the game, and with The Sims 4 Star Wars: Journey to Batuu, they’ll be able to take their Sims on an adventure to the edge of the galaxy,” Lyndsay Pearson, the executive producer of The Sims, said in a statement. “We’re such big Star Wars fans, and set out to create an authentic and immersive Star Wars experience for players that also embodies the self-expression and deep storytelling possibilities with The Sims.”

The Sims has also evolved over time with each new expansion, giving players lots of new stuff to experiment with, build, and design. And while there have been Star Wars cosmetics and other tie-ins in the past, The Sims hasn’t had something at the scale of a full expansion pack before. Thanks to developer Maxis being owned by Star Wars video game licensee EA, Journey to Batuu is a partnership that it seems has been a long time coming.

That's why we got it!

Nothing they do could ever surprise me.
    - Babies are objects
    - Dogs don't have doghouses because they were going for realism and "nobody uses dog houses in 2020"
    - No diving boards
    - No terrain water
    - No cars
    - etc, etc, etc

But they wanted Star Wars, so waaa-lahhh, we get a pack that the majority of sims players didn't want.

I really, really, REALLY hope the sales are astronomically low for this pack. It would serve them right!

But, as someone else said ... they will probably have included cool build tools, like maybe curved walls or spiral stairs, and then people will buy it just for those things and EA will think it's a hit and then make more stupid packs!

As much as I have wanted spiral staircases, even if they add those in this pack I will still say no to buying it. So that won't be enough to get me to pay twenty dollars for this one. And as others have said, who wants storm troopers and other alien types walking around every neighborhood? They told us that wouldn't happen with RoM, but it did. We had witches riding around on brooms everywhere, and random Sims being given the Spellcaster trait. I can visualize all the problems this pack could bring with it just because I have been down this road before with almost every pack since Seasons was released. And Lyndsay Pearson's statement about the team members being big Star Wars fans? They don't play Sims4 as much as the fans do, so who are they trying impress? Themselves, or the people paying for these packs? Ya, I'd like to see the sales numbers for this pack hit an all-time low, too. I wonder how long EA will wait before it goes on sale for half price.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Darth Landgraab "Johnny, I'm your father."

Johnny Zestwalker "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    Even my dad, a huge Star Wars fanboy, found it unnecessary and silly. He thinks Star Wars should just be left as is now.
    edited August 2020
    Sjofn wrote: »
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    That or...make it a separate game like Sims Medieval was and let the stuff in that pack stay in that game only. My biggest gripe here is that it's not going to mesh well all with other game content. So much of it is going to look out of place, and even worse you'll have randoms start wearing the Star Wars cloths all about town. I really wish it were its own game. I would buy it, honestly I would. but throwing this into the mix of an established game is a mistake.

Yeah, if this were a Sims Medieval-type thing, I'd probably buy it. But as a Game Pack ... it clashes WAY too much with everything else. I'm passing on this one.

I'd get a medieval pack, definitely, even though I wouldn't play in the middle ages. I'd use the items for my every day gameplay :) I am sure it would bring a lot of stuff to Off the Grid

I actually see myself getting ANY pack but this, haha
    beville wrote: »
    What a bad joke :p sorry 2020 packs are the worst of all packs!!

I happen to like Nifty Knitting; my painter Sim is making a bunch of money from selling her paintings on Plopsy, as well as making some cool household items (now that the autonomous knitting is drastically toned down, it's a fun pack). And the Free Love NAP made things a lot more fun around the dorms when she was at UBrite -- a lot more flirting, kissing and such, yet no extra romantic interests (she did meet her boyfriend in the dorm, they're now sharing an apartment in San Myshuno). This one just looks like it might be a bit clunky.

I really like knitting too! :)

Me too, I voted for it and I really enjoy it :)
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    The traler of the game pack has more dislikes than likes.
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    Heck it should have been vacation Renaissance pack ! I would have tolerated looking at dragons at least. 😆
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

The consensus appears to be quite negative. Even the Game Changers weren’t positive :D
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    Heck it should have been vacation Renaissance pack ! I would have tolerated looking at dragons at least. 😆

After the Star Wars reveal I would love to have dragons more than any of this stuff xD

• DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I'm mind blown. I laughed whenever I saw anyone predicting that it was going to be a Star Wars pack... Like, there was no way they would actually do that!

... And they've done that. They've gone and done exactly that.

I try to see the good in every pack. I try to withhold as much judgement before it's released/before we know what it's really about. Buuut... I know enough. It's an actual Star Wars pack. Not even just themed similarly. I like Star Wars. I don't need it in my Sims game, though.

This is going to be an extremely hard pass from me. I guess they did warn us they were doing something never done in The Sims before...
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member

That would be amazing!
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2020
    How did someone seriously pitch a Star Wars pack and others actually thought it was a good idea instead of bursting out laughing?

That's because whoever pitched it came from the Walt Disney company and no one laughed knowing very well Disney can revoke their Star Wars game rights whenever they want.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • bellagorillabellagorilla Posts: 6,891 Member
    I'm a Trekkie, never have been able to watch Star Wars no matter how many times people have poked and prodded me. I just don't care for the series. So when the icon leak happened, I was really hoping it was anything but Star Wars. General space themed I would've loved (Strangerville would be great for Firefly, right?). But this? No. No no no no no.

This is such a cash-grab from EA and I can't see it as anything but that. Are they even listening to us anymore? Seriously, Star Wars already has games of it's own, we don't need this. I'm not buying this--even on sale. No one gift it to me--I never want to own it. Let's hope the next one is something better...
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
    logion wrote: »
    They could have made a space themed pack with references to star wars but still Sims specific. This is just too immersion breaking. Really really bad idea. Overt cash grab. They have NO shame left it seems.

SO I guess it's canon now that The Sims and Star Wars take place in the same FICTIONAL UNIVERSE. This has tremendous implications.

As far as I understand, batuu will be a normal world, right next to Willow Creek and Oasis Spings... It will not be a vacation world. And there will be sims like Rey and Kylo Ren just walking around...

It looks more like a vacation world, even the description talks about "visiting" and "going there", not living/moving.
    edited August 2020
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    “With The Sims, we’ve always strived to create content that takes players’ imaginations beyond their limits to tell fun and unique stories in the game, and with The Sims 4 Star Wars: Journey to Batuu, they’ll be able to take their Sims on an adventure to the edge of the galaxy,” Lyndsay Pearson, the executive producer of The Sims, said in a statement. “We’re such big Star Wars fans, and set out to create an authentic and immersive Star Wars experience for players that also embodies the self-expression and deep storytelling possibilities with The Sims.”

The Sims has also evolved over time with each new expansion, giving players lots of new stuff to experiment with, build, and design. And while there have been Star Wars cosmetics and other tie-ins in the past, The Sims hasn’t had something at the scale of a full expansion pack before. Thanks to developer Maxis being owned by Star Wars video game licensee EA, Journey to Batuu is a partnership that it seems has been a long time coming.

That's why we got it!

Nothing they do could ever surprise me.
    - Babies are objects
    - Dogs don't have doghouses because they were going for realism and "nobody uses dog houses in 2020"
    - No diving boards
    - No terrain water
    - No cars
    - etc, etc, etc

But they wanted Star Wars, so waaa-lahhh, we get a pack that the majority of sims players didn't want.

I really, really, REALLY hope the sales are astronomically low for this pack. It would serve them right!

But, as someone else said ... they will probably have included cool build tools, like maybe curved walls or spiral stairs, and then people will buy it just for those things and EA will think it's a hit and then make more stupid packs!

As much as I have wanted spiral staircases, even if they add those in this pack I will still say no to buying it. So that won't be enough to get me to pay twenty dollars for this one. And as others have said, who wants storm troopers and other alien types walking around every neighborhood? They told us that wouldn't happen with RoM, but it did. We had witches riding around on brooms everywhere, and random Sims being given the Spellcaster trait. I can visualize all the problems this pack could bring with it just because I have been down this road before with almost every pack since Seasons was released. And Lyndsay Pearson's statement about the team members being big Star Wars fans? They don't play Sims4 as much as the fans do, so who are they trying impress? Themselves, or the people paying for these packs? Ya, I'd like to see the sales numbers for this pack hit an all-time low, too. I wonder how long EA will wait before it goes on sale for half price.

I am certain there won't be spiral stairs in that pack as the trailer would have shown them if they were. Also if they come with it they will probably be patched in too in a plain version like ladders were.
    bixters wrote: »

The consensus appears to be quite negative. Even the Game Changers weren’t positive :D

Haha, yes, lots of them don't seem too excited. :D
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    logion wrote: »

It looks more like a vacation world, even the description talks about "visiting" and "going there", not living/moving.

That's the sense I get too. You just visit and "return home". That's what I am most disappointed about. I wanted a space themed world to live on.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2020
    bixters wrote: »

And the GameChangers who are excited are pretty much saying "I don't care, I love star wars." ...