Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaids deserve a pack

1235...Next

Comments

• JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Yes !
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    Merfolk aren’t common in video games. Male representation and use gender correct terminology even less so. And before someone jumps on me, I respect those who prefer the non-binary pronouns by using those pronouns in reference to them. It does matter to me that male gender terms are used in reference to me because that’s my preference. Mermaid is not an appropriate gender-neutral term when merfolk or merperson are actual gender neutral terms that exist. And technically, Sirens are half-bird women in mythology while merfolk include mermen, mermaids, and merpeople that are half-human half fish. This should clarify the misused terms in the game in the most effective way possible. I can share a picture of the game seemingly being incapable of consistency with terms by switching back and forth between male and female pronouns with a merman sim. Gender customization is a feature and more it shouldn’t be this random.

As for gameplay, the dried scales moodlet still gets stuck until I travel to a different lot, enter CAS, or trigger the moodlet a second time. A patch should be included to fix this, and I think they could make the most of it by patching in improvements to merfolk.

Right now, Merfolk have a large number of abilities. They can call:
    Rainstorms
    Thunderstorms
    Clear Skies

This ability comes with the Season’s Expansion pack, and it also no implies that they can add to merfolk when a pack adds new features. Weather in relation to seasons isn’t a thing until seasons is installed.

Siren’s Lullaby
    Aegean’s Question: Tense Moodlet
    Charmer’s Lullaby: Flirty Moodlet
    Inspiring Berceuse: Inspired Moodlet
    Night’s Requiem: Sad Moodlet

Aquatic Lure: Improves the quality of caught fish

Summon Ocean Threat: Makes a sim afraid of the ocean, triggers a tense moodlet, and depleted energy risking drowning by energy failure.

Siren’s Call: Depletes all of another sim’s motives/ needs to fill all of a mer’s needs.

Can call a unique Azure Dolphin companion
    Can sunbathe in the ocean
    Can sleep in the ocean

Mermaid’s Kiss lets a sim spend more time underwater without drowning.

Merfolk can talk to fish.

Things that can be added:

Call Snow Storm, Blizzards, and Windy Weather.

Siren Songs that cause other moodlets like Bored, Focused, Confident, Happy, Energetic, and Playful.

A new pack could create a vacation destination similar to Granite Falls and Selvadorada. This destination could feature an island resort related to Sulani as well as a substantial underwater reef and other diving attractions like a shipwreck and underwater cave.

Also, the Hidden Trait that can only be inherited by the children of Island Elementals could have added abilities related to Wind and Water.

Right now, Sulani Mana gives sims the ability to Summon Lava Bombs that can start fires or give plants the Gift of Sulani that enhances the quality of plants by one level.

I like how these occult’s have abilities with cool downs and depletes a need to use different abilities. I just want to do more with my MerSims.

I also agree about them using the term merfolk. One thing I wish they would have added was a death by dehydration. That’s something that really happens with sea life & seeing how the sims became caring about the environment I’m surprised that didn’t actually make it into the game
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I wrote this in another discussion, but I think it would be helpful here. I apologize if anything is repeated.

The merfolk would be better if you could explore underwater and had a level system similar to celebrities, vampires, and spellcasters.

Don’t get me wrong, weather manipulation, moodlet manipulation, the siren call, summon ocean threat, and aquatic lure are all great abilities. However, you could easily break the abilities into groups and make them stronger. Ocean Mastery, Sea Shanty Mastery (Or Siren Mastery even though Sirens and Merfolk are separate but similar mythical creatures), and Weather Mastery could be a nice breakdown. Abilities based on reputation could be included.

Ocean Mastery could focus on things like the Aquatic Lure, Fishing, and Summon Ocean Threat. I do know of a hidden trait that makes traversing the ocean in a boat easier. Maybe it could also remove the sad moodlet from eating and catching fish.

The Siren tier could focus on the Siren’s Call, Siren’s Lullaby, and the singing skill. The singing skill and other musical skills could be improved faster. Things like singing Karaoke could have unique moodlets and impact other sims more.

Weather Mastery could impact how often a sim can change the weather. Instead of just summoning Rain, a Thunderstorm, and Clear Skies, a sim can summon more unique weather patterns, summon lightning like when you get supercharged and summon wind. Both wind and rain can be very helpful for building skills and maintaining different things like a garden. Maybe a mersim with a bad reputation can summon unique weather like Monsoons and Heat Waves.

Abilities would still tap into hydration to use and passive perks might affect this. Weaknesses could be a tendency to dry out faster, require spending time in the ocean (Changing into merform and interacting with sea creatures similar to the Azure Dolphin relationship bar), having a song affect a sim in an unintended way if certain conditions are met.

I can see this being added to the game with an expansion pack similar to the Jungle and Outdoors one. There could be a vacation destination centered around the sea, diving, sailing, and music. This place could be an extension of Sulani, and an option to follow your sim underwater could be made available.

One last edit, I understand that movement underwater can be a challenge. Kingdom Hearts 1: Atlantica and Neverland had a lot of controversy over the controls. I actually picked up on the controls intuitively and enjoyed the gameplay. I think with the right user testing, the Sims can include something similar or better.

You know how there’s a sage for the different spellcaster schools. It would be cool if merfolk could discover a place that can allow them to enhance their mermadic abilities via the Ocean, Siren, and Weather Mastery. Merfolk that choose a school might have more abilities via the options from their natural abilities.

Merfolk with Ocean Mastery might be able to fish and eat fish without negative moodlets, build relationships with more unique marine life they summon like the Azure Dolphin, and they can gain a boost to the fishing skill as well as navigate the ocean with ease.

The Siren Mastery could unlock songs that can induce more moodlets. Right now, a mermaid can only make other sims sad, tense, flirty, and inspired. There’s the focused, angry, embarrassed, confident, playful, bored, and different variations with different extremes. A passive boost to the singing skill with unique moodlets sims experience when playing an instrument, singing, or listening to songs or played music.

Weather Mastery could cause snow in the summer, summon lightning strikes (useful for collectibles and it’s cool), cause a heat wave in the winter, summon wind, and location unique weather anywhere like monsoons.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Yes !
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    I wrote this in another discussion, but I think it would be helpful here. I apologize if anything is repeated.

The merfolk would be better if you could explore underwater and had a level system similar to celebrities, vampires, and spellcasters.

Don’t get me wrong, weather manipulation, moodlet manipulation, the siren call, summon ocean threat, and aquatic lure are all great abilities. However, you could easily break the abilities into groups and make them stronger. Ocean Mastery, Sea Shanty Mastery (Or Siren Mastery even though Sirens and Merfolk are separate but similar mythical creatures), and Weather Mastery could be a nice breakdown. Abilities based on reputation could be included.

Ocean Mastery could focus on things like the Aquatic Lure, Fishing, and Summon Ocean Threat. I do know of a hidden trait that makes traversing the ocean in a boat easier. Maybe it could also remove the sad moodlet from eating and catching fish.

The Siren tier could focus on the Siren’s Call, Siren’s Lullaby, and the singing skill. The singing skill and other musical skills could be improved faster. Things like singing Karaoke could have unique moodlets and impact other sims more.

Weather Mastery could impact how often a sim can change the weather. Instead of just summoning Rain, a Thunderstorm, and Clear Skies, a sim can summon more unique weather patterns, summon lightning like when you get supercharged and summon wind. Both wind and rain can be very helpful for building skills and maintaining different things like a garden. Maybe a mersim with a bad reputation can summon unique weather like Monsoons and Heat Waves.

Abilities would still tap into hydration to use and passive perks might affect this. Weaknesses could be a tendency to dry out faster, require spending time in the ocean (Changing into merform and interacting with sea creatures similar to the Azure Dolphin relationship bar), having a song affect a sim in an unintended way if certain conditions are met.

I can see this being added to the game with an expansion pack similar to the Jungle and Outdoors one. There could be a vacation destination centered around the sea, diving, sailing, and music. This place could be an extension of Sulani, and an option to follow your sim underwater could be made available.

One last edit, I understand that movement underwater can be a challenge. Kingdom Hearts 1: Atlantica and Neverland had a lot of controversy over the controls. I actually picked up on the controls intuitively and enjoyed the gameplay. I think with the right user testing, the Sims can include something similar or better.

You know how there’s a sage for the different spellcaster schools. It would be cool if merfolk could discover a place that can allow them to enhance their mermadic abilities via the Ocean, Siren, and Weather Mastery. Merfolk that choose a school might have more abilities via the options from their natural abilities.

Merfolk with Ocean Mastery might be able to fish and eat fish without negative moodlets, build relationships with more unique marine life they summon like the Azure Dolphin, and they can gain a boost to the fishing skill as well as navigate the ocean with ease.

The Siren Mastery could unlock songs that can induce more moodlets. Right now, a mermaid can only make other sims sad, tense, flirty, and inspired. There’s the focused, angry, embarrassed, confident, playful, bored, and different variations with different extremes. A passive boost to the singing skill with unique moodlets sims experience when playing an instrument, singing, or listening to songs or played music.

Weather Mastery could cause snow in the summer, summon lightning strikes (useful for collectibles and it’s cool), cause a heat wave in the winter, summon wind, and location unique weather anywhere like monsoons.

The only problem with adding some type of school are the people who would disagree with it not being available or fair to those who paid for island living & having to buy any other paywall to get things that should of been in island living in the first place. The only way I can see it work for everyone is if they offer it in a free update & only thing that would be locked behind the pack would be the new CAS & BB.

Also merfolks can technically eat fish & go fishing without a sad mood if they don’t have child of the ocean. That’s why your merfolk gets sad. Also if you have it traited your merfolk would be sad if they see a fish mounted on a wall
  • _natalie_natalie Posts: 582 Member
    People can always use CC and mods. DLC for DLC is not a good thing.

People who play on PC can. People who play on console cannot.
    She/Her. 👩🏻
    PlayStation. 🎮
    United Kingdom. 🇬🇧
    Justin wrote: »
    The only problem with adding some type of school are the people who would disagree with it not being available or fair to those who paid for island living & having to buy any other paywall to get things that should of been in island living in the first place. The only way I can see it work for everyone is if they offer it in a free update & only thing that would be locked behind the pack would be the new CAS & BB.

Also merfolks can technically eat fish & go fishing without a sad mood if they don’t have child of the ocean. That’s why your merfolk gets sad. Also if you have it traited your merfolk would be sad if they see a fish mounted on a wall

I think my merfolk usually have the Child of the Ocean trait, so that would explain the moodlet. I still like using that trait regardless.

Even if the schools wouldn't work, they could at least patch in more things that could make gameplay more interesting. Right now, I would be happy if the Call Rainstorm ability resulted in snow fall if the temperatures are freezing. Right now, the ability warms up things in the winter to cool temperatures and causes rain. I understand that Sulani doesn't experience snow, but part of me wishes merfolk had more options to influence the weather. Imagine the story telling that could come with Sulani Freezing over. At least, I don't think merfolk can't call snow for this reason.

Expanding into new locations like underwater lots would be amazing, but the mechanics required for a well made underwater lot might warrant the extra cost. I've played games that have a playable merman (Sora from Kingdom Hearts) in an underwater world. Doing something like that isn't a simple thing, and it might be harder to do in a way that people will be happy with if it isn't its own pack. I would be fine with paying a little bit extra if it means they put more time into creating an underwater counterpart to Sulani. While Sulani is a call out to Polynesian Culture, I think the pack they make could create underwater lots accessible through dive spots. There could be underwater "neighborhoods" that can be like the underwater counterpart to the islands. Underwater Mua Pel'Am, Underwater Lani St. Taz, and the Underwater Ohan' ali Town could be connected to the pool of water located near the Sand Bar. These could be merfolk neighborhoods connected to each other and the dive spots in the island neighborhoods. These neighborhoods could make it possible to have merfolk live in a lot where they do not need to change into human form and still meet their needs. The pack could include unique items that are functional underwater. Normal non-mer sims could visit these neighborhoods by discovering them. The Mermaid's Kiss ability could be used to help human sims stay in the merworld or underwater longer. The Beach Cave could give sims the first clue to where the merfolk live, and from there they would have to explore the dive spot and the waterfall location to uncover the other clues. After finding all the clues, they get a map to the hidden neighborhoods from the underwater dive spots. Merfolk created in CAS could have automatic access to these locations because they are naturally born merfolk. They could include new tail styles and merfolk themed clothing. I think all of this would be worth spending money for a pack.
    _natalie wrote: »

I play sims on the console, and if I'm being honest, I wouldn't want to use mods or CC even if I played on a PC. For me, it's one of those things where I have no judgement on those who like CC and Mods, but I hope that the developers don't use that as an excuse to not create something for me as a player. I've purchased every single pack. I don't think it's too much to ask for.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I have another idea!
    I'm thinking zombies, It could be a game pack focusing on ghost mostly, supernatural careers like the grim reaper and ghost busters, adding items like spirit boards, crystal ball, sims can become zombies (resurrection went wrong)
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I have another idea!
    _natalie wrote: »

I know, which is why I see console as a subpar product.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I have another idea!
    Actually keeping the mermaids in the Island Living exp is fine but the mermaids do need a HUGE update. Like maybe giving them an overhaul like they could learn new spells like the same system as the Spell casters and Vampires have also giving us the option to turn off the annoying humming and dolphin call when they are on shore.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I have another idea!
    Not before they make aliens better they don't.

Even then, I don't think either should get a separate pack. They should be improved within their own packs. Otherwise we have a my first pet stuff situation where you buy dlc for dlc which...I don't think would go over super well.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    I have another idea!
    They should just give us extra features for the mermaids in a free patch! You guys already paid enough for it!!!

• IObelleIObelle Posts: 136 Member
    I have another idea!
    I'd like improvements to come in a free patch for Island Living.
    Children, and maybe even toddlers, should get fins when in water.
    I mean, children can swim just as much as teens-elders, so it's just dumb that they don't have fins!
    There Are No Plantsims In The Sims 4
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I have another idea!
    Honestly and even though I have a more realistic style of gameplay I did play with mermaids, and I think they’re lacking. Basically all they can do is swim (not underwater), call other mermaids and dolphins, talk to fish and drown sims.

I would have liked underwater lots and swimming underwater. Now an entire GP would be a bit too much I guess.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    No !
    It's time for an Underwater Atlantis World for Merfolks to live in.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I have another idea!
    Instead of giving us a mermaid pack, I wish they would give us a fully fleshed out vacation pack with underwater lots that our mermaids and other Sims could dive in, like Island paradise had. I know we have Island living already, but I don't consider that a vacation pack. As for updates to mermaids themselves, any updates should be added into a patch for the Island living expansion pack, not something that we have to pay extra for. Honestly underwater lots should be added in that way as well, but I hold no hopes they would ever do that.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited September 2020
    Like... if they enhance them through another pack amongst other features, the way TS3 did with vampires, I'm down; otherwise nope.
    Mermaids have never been the more 'fleshed-out' supernatural. They probably 'scale' at 3 in that regards.