Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does Will Wright still have any input on The Sims?

I remember this guy being such a pioneer and deeply passionate about the franchise but I don’t hear much about him these days? I did see somewhere he left Maxis officially to move onto some other EA projects around 2009 but I find it hard to believe, he wouldn’t still have some input / give feedback about the direction of the Sims franchise? Can anyone inform me about this,

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    This is the last interview I saw with him. I can't remember what he said about imput. I think he leaves it alone now! He's developing Proxi and that's not out yet.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Proxi+will+wright+interview&&view=detail&mid=BBAB84721DD14D7EDDC5BBAB84721DD14D7EDDC5&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=Proxi+will+wright+interview&FORM=HDRSC3
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    I don't think he's been involved with the Sims series since the original. There were references to him in TS2 (the Wright-shaped head), but he had gotten deeply involved with Spore at that point.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited August 2020
    He was heavily involved in the development of The Sims 1, you know since it was his idea and game. During the Sims 2 development he was mainly working on Spore, overlooking the Sims 2 team and giving advice but didn't develop or direct the development of the game. There were massive issues with the development of Spore and with EA wanting to market it in a way that didn't follow Wright's ideas and he was really upset over it.
    He started working on new projects on his own around 2008 and left not only Maxis but EA and the mainstream industry as a whole. He never worked on any other EA project again after this and he has gone underground since then.
    He is now working on a small project called "proxi".
    He has absolutely no input in the game since he left the company and was not involved at all in either The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, which is sad because they are techically his games and Maxis was his company along with another colleague.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited August 2020
    He's like most inventors, on to the next thing and leave the past ones for others to work on. He's more interested in the ideas.

It looks as if he's having more problems with Proxi, as he was hinting at it coming out in the Fall of 2019 in that interview. He's so far ahead of his time in thinking of new things it might be impossible to go through with it at the moment without huge backing.

I hope the US government doesn't find it as he was talking about that episode (film)? of Star Trek with people living complete lives, then coming back to their present one to find it was all false. Was that the Ribbon and Bridge one? Implanting false memories? That's what the Lensmen in the E E Smith "Lensman" series did with some of their baddies.
    Simburian wrote: »
    He's like most inventors, on to the next thing and leave the past ones for others to work on. He's more interested in the ideas.

I still think it's kind of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that they didn't give him a special thanks in the credits of the game, or mention him at all...

I still think it's kind of 🌺🌺🌺🌺 that they didn't give him a special thanks in the credits of the game, or mention him at all...

Totally agree. Maybe they are a bit ashamed of what they've done to it?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

I still think it's kind of 🌺🌺🌺🌺 that they didn't give him a special thanks in the credits of the game, or mention him at all...

He has no input in the game. Why would they give him credit? 😂😂

@PlayerSinger2010 'Cause he invented the Sims? And the game is called Sims?
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    I wonder what he thinks of the sims 4
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

But he hasn't had any input in the game since the original.

It's like fanfiction: You don't have to credit the author if you're writing a Game of Thrones or Harry Potter fic. Everyone knows who created it.
    edited August 2020

But he hasn't had any input in the game since the original.

It's like fanfiction: You don't have to credit the author if you're writing a Game of Thrones or Harry Potter fic. Everyone knows who created it.

@PlayerSinger2010 You don't have to but it's a good nod to the person who helped generate billions of dollars to your company and without whom you wouldn't have the job you have.
    Also with fan fiction nobody earns money, it's clear that it's made by a fan. With the Sims 4 it's a different story, they don't have to mention him but it would be real nice if they actually did.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    He's done other things. Just go to YouTube and search Will Wright. I just found stuff from 3 months ago. Have not watched them yet. I don't think he has any input anymore. He left EA in 2009.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Resounding NO. Mr Wright washed his hands of this game years ago and honestly could not care less what EA does with it. When EA botched SimCity they got Mr Wright to share how wonderful he thought it was. He peaked in the 90’s and frankly hasn’t done anything noteworthy since. These days I question his judgement. He probably finds Sims 4 wonderful just like the failed SimCity he claimed was so great.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited August 2020
    Eeh? How did he peak in the 90's when The Sims came out in 2000?

But IIRC he was a consultant on The Sims 2 and that was the last game he had anything to do with.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
    edited August 2020

But IIRC he was a consultant on The Sims 2 and that was the last game he had anything to do with.

@WaytoomanyUIDs He peaked in the 90's because he is also the creator of SimCity and SimCity came before the Sims and made him a loooot of money
    I think he did peak later though because the Sims 1 is probably his best work.

I'm sure he likes SimCity and the Sims 4 because he has said several times he is a person that gets bored easily and moves to new projects very fast so he admires the fact that the Sims team has developed his original idea so much. Though I'm sure he doesn't approve of the marketing and the DLC.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2020

That doesn't mean anything since he sold The Sims to EA.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

The entire concept of The Sims was created and pitched to Maxis in the 90’s. The final product releasing in Feb 2000 is irrelevant. That’s the last game he worked on, a consultant is for professional guidance. He didn’t make any decisions pertaining to development of Sims 2, that would be on the producers.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    No but he did do an interview when the Sims turned 20:
    https://www.gamesradar.com/the-making-of-the-sims/

I don't think he peaked in the 90s. He is just working on Proxi now which deals more with human psychology than the Sims 4 does these days and continues his Sims Online type dream:
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/357666/Will_Wright_returns_to_GDC_this_year_with_a_talk_you_wont_want_to_miss.php

He also called the SimCity 2013 launch EA's botched game and he predicted the reaction:
    https://www.theverge.com/2013/5/8/4311780/original-simcity-creator-will-wright-calls-ea-botched-launch-inexcusable

So no input but he doesn't shy away from calling EA out either.

This was interesting too and in a way Sims 4 is starting to break the society mold once again too at least with talk. We will see with time how these inclusive patches pan out more this year:
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-sims/the-sims-gender-sexuality

I think Sims 4 does play it safe in keeping the game in a 1950s housewife girl mold. They need to branch out with gameplay with that because it conflicts with the original Sims.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    This is the last interview I saw with him. I can't remember what he said about imput. I think he leaves it alone now! He's developing Proxi and that's not out yet.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Proxi+will+wright+interview&&view=detail&mid=BBAB84721DD14D7EDDC5BBAB84721DD14D7EDDC5&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=Proxi+will+wright+interview&FORM=HDRSC3
    Thanks for sharing. I watched this interview and I was just thinking...... imagine if the computer could put in every memory that each of your sims have as they live their sim life and memories would change and influence their wants, and their personality changed along with it. Or if you could input memories into an adult sim you created and those memories influence and create new memories, and your sims had Real AI!!

Will Wright is a genius. I can understand why he moves from one thing to the next. I have that kind of personality too, I get board too easily. I find it hard to follow one action to it’s conclusion, it I find something more interesting I will change courses, I can’t remember what it’s called, but I’m not a linear thinker/doer..... I dart all over. There is a name for it, I can’t remember what it was though. I just wish I had the genius and creativity of his mind!
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing. I watched this interview and I was just thinking...... imagine if the computer could put in every memory that each of your sims have as they live their sim life and memories would change and influence their wants, and their personality changed along with it. Or if you could input memories into an adult sim you created and those memories influence and create new memories, and your sims had Real AI!!

Will Wright is a genius. I can understand why he moves from one thing to the next. I have that kind of personality too, I get board too easily. I find it hard to follow one action to it’s conclusion, it I find something more interesting I will change courses, I can’t remember what it’s called, but I’m not a linear thinker/doer..... I dart all over. There is a name for it, I can’t remember what it was though. I just wish I had the genius and creativity of his mind!

Grasshopper mind?
    One unable to concentrate on any single subject for long.

I prefer the term Lateral Thinking though!
    Lateral thinking is a manner of solving problems using an indirect and creative approach via reasoning that is not immediately obvious. It involves ideas that may not be obtainable using only traditional step-by-step logic. De Bono

I should think the latter would get tired soon of a game that plods along a bit that Sims 4 does some times. <3

• VodkaVodka Posts: 25 Member
    edited August 2020
    He left before 3 and while it didn’t show that much in 3 it certainly 🐸🐸🐸🐸 does in 4. The rejects they keep in the Sims 4 teams are rejects for a reason.

Jean skirt on a pair of jeans L O L

But really there is no creativity with in 4. It’s all ooh I like this idea lets just dump it into 4 because why not.