Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ANOTHER Competitor to The Sims 5?!?? People of the Newbery

Comments

• shikirabookshikirabook Posts: 8 New Member
    https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/ivy-foliage-pack-4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1QIya0xKPc

Appears to be the exact same premade tool, circle around the cursor and all. He's just hiding his UI. As you can see, you can paint it on and surface. If there were say, an actual implementation of the tool in his game and not yet another demonstration of a tool he just bought off the store, then sure. This video is not gameplay, nor is it proof of his own work.

Again, yet another suggestion. He should build that house from scratch on camera as well as place furniture.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I don't understand anything about game development but reading all of this makes me think on how The Sims is a great game...
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    I don't understand anything about game development but reading all of this makes me think on how The Sims is a great game...

At least the Sims builds everything from scratch. 😬
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    People don't often realize how complicated a game like The Sims is. Even TS4 has a lot of things running under the hood

"Pretty much every game these days has open world. Why can't TS4 have it as well?"
    Not to defend the lack of open world since they were able to do it with TS3, but this comparison isn't valid. Games like Skyrim, RDR, and The Witcher only have ONE player character who has no free will AI, and the NPCS are nameless people who run fixed AI scripts. In The Sims 3, you could switch among 8 characters who could be anywhere on the map, so the game had to simulate up to 8 different areas at a time, filled with NPCs who are fully realized sims themselves, with their own traits, AI, and character data. GTA V had 3 protagonists, sure, but after a while, the game doesn't have to remember anything about the other two that you're not controlling. Whenever you'd switch, the game would randomly pick a predefined scenario for the protagonist that you're switching to, in order to present the illusion that they're living lives on their own. Imagine if TS3 forgot whatever offscreen sims were doing, and when you switched back to them, they were doing something else randomly.

You can't exactly cobble something together in just a few months and say that it'll be a life simulator with a reasonable amount of depth by the following year.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    uJydDSL.jpg
    VtEi930.jpg

If you combine these two information it means that he currently has enough content for 17.5 - 20 GB of disk space which is more than the TS4 base game. Sorry but I don‘t believe it.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    uJydDSL.jpg
    VtEi930.jpg

If you combine these two information it means that he currently has enough content for 17.5 - 20 GB of disk space which is more than the TS4 base game. Sorry but I don‘t believe it.

The 4GB RAM requirement is even more unbelievable for me. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    DeKay wrote: »
    uJydDSL.jpg
    VtEi930.jpg

The 4GB RAM requirement is even more unbelievable for me. XD

He's using the Unreal Engine that is scalable to allow games to be played on a wide variety of computers. The Borderlands series uses UE and my old computer that has 4gb RAM can play them - the graphics have to be set low though and the look of those games aren't as good as on a powerful computer.

GTA V is 75gb and still playable on my old computer, again just not as good looking.

But I do agree that his minimum requirements might be unrealistic. UE4 is better suited to computers with greater than 4gb RAM at minimum.

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

You also have to realize that you can't really compare other games content size to TS4. TS4 uses EXTREMELY low poly models, as in mobile game size. Unless a game is an actual "low poly" game, it will most definitely have assets that are much higher than TS4's standard models. A "Low Poly" asset in most games is around 10K, TS4s game assets are on average of about 500 poly per game tile. That alone will bloat up the size of the game, plus if they use high res textures, that will bloat it up as well.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited August 2020
    Do they plan to add more skintones ?

A lot of Black skins are missing in the preview

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

They also don't have proper skin tones for Asians, but this doesn't ever seem to be an issue for anyone. I don't think you or anyone should turn this game into a platform for social justice. It would just be nice to play the game in peace without any of that.

Regardless, the skintones are ridiculous and they should fix it. This is not ''social justice'', is it too hard to create games where non caucasian people can be happy? But like I always say, society doesn't care about non caucasian people so I'm not surprised.
    Lu4ERme.gif

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

They also don't have proper skin tones for Asians, but this doesn't ever seem to be an issue for anyone. I don't think you or anyone should turn this game into a platform for social justice. It would just be nice to play the game in peace without any of that.

Regardless, the skintones are ridiculous and they should fix it. This is not ''social justice'', is it too hard to create games where non caucasian people can be happy? But like I always say, society doesn't care about non caucasian people so I'm not surprised.

Asians just don't seem too upset about it though. They just make some skins and other mods that suit then more and just go on from there. Their stuff is actually better than anything Maxis could have done. Problem solved.

I also think that Asians realize that the mostly white devs aren't familiar (understandably) with the various Asian skin tones and Asian features, so they would just rather do it themselves. Making the skins etc. themselves took less time too.

There is nothing to stop other POCs from making better skin tones for themselves. I bet they would do a much better job than Maxis would since they would have a greater understanding of their own skin tones.

• NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

Asians just don't seem too upset about it though. They just make some skins and other mods that suit then more and just go on from there. Their stuff is actually better than anything Maxis could have done. Problem solved.

I also think that Asians realize that the mostly white devs aren't familiar (understandably) with the various Asian skin tones and Asian features, so they would just rather do it themselves. Making the skins etc. themselves took less time too.

There is nothing to stop other POCs from making better skin tones for themselves. I bet they would do a much better job than Maxis would since they would have a greater understanding of their own skin tones.

Being able to create diverse looking characters has nothing to do with social justice, it's part of the simulation game genre. I will admit though that given the stage of development this game is at, I would not hold the current limited number of skin tones against them. That is if a game is actually being developed. Currently is looks more like a virtual mood board of all the things they - and everyone else who cares to chip in - would want to see in a life sim.
    And the last passage I am sure I am just misunderstanding because it reads like Maxis only employs white people, which is not the case. We can expect them to do better in that regard and therefore I am looking forward to the update this fall.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    edited August 2020
    And the last passage I am sure I am just misunderstanding because it reads like Maxis only employs white people, which is not the case. We can expect them to do better in that regard and therefore I am looking forward to the update this fall.

Yes, you did misunderstand it pretty much. Nowhere does it say that Maxis only employs white people. But it does connect to the previous paragraphs. Maxis hires all kinds of people including Asians for example, but even so, they still didn't get the skintones and features right for them. Asians didn't make an issue of it though and just made their own skins and mods to make better, more accurate looking Asian sims. Now why couldn't other people do that? It's because those people are making that an issue to feel like they have some power over another group to make them do things. But that isn't real empowerment though. You want real empowerment? Then do well in everything you do to make yourself independent and not have to depend on others to do things for you. This is why Asians don't think the wrong skintone is such a big deal and why it's no problem to fix this themselves.

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

I'm sick of the skin discourse , and I'm African American.Of all the stuff the game needs.This is one of the lower ones in this areas .I rather see them focus on making sliders, and more skin tones for sims 5.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

Yes, you did misunderstand it pretty much. Nowhere does it say that Maxis only employs white people. But it does connect to the previous paragraphs. Maxis hires all kinds of people including Asians for example, but even so, they still didn't get the skintones and features right for them. Asians didn't make an issue of it though and just made their own skins and mods to make better, more accurate looking Asian sims. Now why couldn't other people do that? It's because those people are making that an issue to feel like they have some power over another group to make them do things. But that isn't real empowerment though. You want real empowerment? Then do well in everything you do to make yourself independent and not have to depend on others to do things for you. This is why Asians don't think the wrong skintone is such a big deal and why it's no problem to fix this themselves.

I don't care for your tone. And what you're saying doesn't even make sense. First of all, if you think that customers don't have the right to make their concerns and wishes heard then why are you even in touch with this new developer? Second of all, depending on others to do things for us? That you are seriously saying that as a response to POC is hilarious. I do things for myself. And I pay for things myself and when I want something as a customer I will make that request. That is independence.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

I'm sick of the skin discourse , and I'm African American.Of all the stuff the game needs.This is one of the lower ones in this areas .I rather see them focus on making sliders, and more skin tones for sims 5.

Amen!

• popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

It's because those people are making that an issue to feel like they have some power over another group to make them do things. But that isn't real empowerment though. You want real empowerment? Then do well in everything you do to make yourself independent and not have to depend on others to do things for you. This is why Asians don't think the wrong skintone is such a big deal and why it's no problem to fix this themselves.

“Those people”?
    🧐🧐🧐

Who are “those people” “depending on others to do things for them”?
    🧐🧐🧐
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

It's because those people are making that an issue to feel like they have some power over another group to make them do things. But that isn't real empowerment though. You want real empowerment? Then do well in everything you do to make yourself independent and not have to depend on others to do things for you. This is why Asians don't think the wrong skintone is such a big deal and why it's no problem to fix this themselves.

“Those people”?
    🧐🧐🧐

Who are “those people” “depending on others to do things for them”?
    🧐🧐🧐

😬 jesus...
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Oh dear...here we go again.... :(
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Well I can think of a lot of things I depend on other people for. My mechanic and my plumber for two. Maybe I should consider studying plumbing and auto repair. So I won't be like 'those people' who depend on others. 🤔
    Well I can think of a lot of things I depend on other people for. My mechanic and my plumber for two. Maybe I should consider studying plumbing and auto repair. So I won't be like 'those people' who depend on others. 🤔

You get it! :)
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited August 2020
    @ClarionOfJoy I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt throughout this entire thread, but your latest take is an awful take. I don't have an interest in unpacking all of it, but at the bare minimum, your comments suggest that POC only create and play with POC characters, and non-POC players only play with and create non-POC characters. As a player of a life sim game, wouldn't YOU want as much diversity as possible? Or are you okay with not being able to represent an entire group of people in your game? Because your comments suggest that you have no concern for a certain group's lack of representation.

And in fact, you're going so far as to pull the card of "they should help themselves." Which is, again, an awful take. "These people should spend their own money on the game, but they should also go the extra mile to fill in the gaps that this game clearly left out." I'm sure it's not hard to add in more skin tones. It's a choice and it's telling.

It literally makes no sense to be okay with a LIFE SIM game not being able to represent people who look a certain way unless you generally have a lack of regard for those people.
    Post edited by NationalPokedex on
    edited August 2020
    It literally makes no sense to be okay with a LIFE SIM game not being able to represent people who look a certain way unless you generally have a lack of regard for those people.

Just because I'm encouraging people to do better for themselves doesn't mean I have a lack of regard for "those" people. This goes beyond games. This demanding trivial things of other people like skintones in a game doesn't positively impact those people at all in what really matters. That is just surface cosmetics - and other people pander to it because it won't threaten their own empowerment and they know it.

People are too afraid to say anything for fear of being labeled racist (when they aren't), but it really should be addressed!

Do well, study hard, work hard even in the face of prejudice, save your money for what can increase it. That makes a people empowered and independent of other groups and even earn respect. There a lot of good examples of this. If you don't want Asians as an example, Jews are a good one too and even more so since other groups have been trying to wipe them out for centuries. And yet they're still here and doing fine anyway.

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

Just because I'm encouraging people to do better for themselves doesn't mean I have a lack of regard for "those" people. This goes beyond games. This demanding trivial things of other people like skintones in a game doesn't positively impact those people at all in what really matters. That is just surface cosmetics - and other people pander to it because it won't threaten their own empowerment and they know it.

People are too afraid to say anything for fear of being labeled racist (when they aren't), but it really should be addressed!

Do well, study hard, work hard even in the face of prejudice, save your money for what can increase it. That makes a people empowered and independent of other groups and even earn respect. There a lot of good examples of this. If you don't want Asians as an example, Jews are a good one too and even more so since other groups have been trying to wipe them out for centuries. And yet they're still here and doing fine anyway.

This is a very easy mentality to have if you are in a position to see yourself and others like you being constantly represented in the mass media. When you're constantly represented, you don't feel the need to make a case to see yourself and others like you. You are already there and always have been.

And the rest of your argument....leaning into the idea of the model minority is deeply problematic. People don't need to fit a certain model to be seen as equals to others.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2020
    Are we still in the newbery thread?👀
    Maybe I walked into the wrong one.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member

It sounds like you're saying that minorities should work harder to be respected, like it's somehow their fault they're being discriminated against. Prejudice is never the minority's fault. It's the one discriminating against them. And no should have to 'work harder' to be equal to a white person.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top