Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did you heard "i vow to thee my country"

PawelK198604PawelK198604 Posts: 323 Member
I'm Polish but in my country, we learned English in our schools based on British, not American English, it is similar in other European countries, sorry Americans ;-)

In my country, November 11 is a great holiday for our independence day, because then, after the end of World War I, my country regained independence, for 123 years of partitions (enslavement).
But in other countries, in particular, Great Britain and Commonwealth countries (former British Empire;))
It is a day of remembrance of the fallen during World War I, my English teacher, she also taught Polish, but not my class, she taught us about the cultures of English-speaking countries, with particular emphasis on the countries of the British Commonwealth, so I know that song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvouc8Qs_MI
It's "I Vow To Thee My Country" By British Composer Gustav Holst and it's from his "The Planets" orchestral suite and I Vow To Thee My Country it's from the "Jupiter" suite actually :smile:

I heard it while I was CAS it was so funny :smile:
Post edited by PawelK198604 on

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2020
    No, I didn’t.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited August 2020
    The phrase at the beginning of the Sims melody sounds very similar, although the rest of the melody is quite different. My guess is that whoever wrote the Sims music unintentionally borrowed the phrase. The cadence and tone of the music is very different, the Holst/Vow to Thee melody is solemn and the sims song has a lighter feel with that funny syncopation.
    Post edited by CorkysPetals on
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    No, at least I havent heard it from male sims.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    This is the music PawelK198604 is referring to.
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    Interesting catch! Most likely coincidental but a cool find.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    The phrase at the beginning of the Sims melody sounds very similar, although the rest of the melody is quite different. My guess is that whoever wrote the Sims music unintentionally borrowed the phrase. The cadence and tone of the music is very different, the Holst/Vow to Thee melody is solemn and the sims song has a lighter feel with that funny syncopation.

I believe copywrite allows for up to three phrases to be "borrowed". I could be wrong, it may only be two.

To the OP, no offence taken. The Brits really hated how we immediately started to adulterate the King's English. We tend to use contractions a lot over here. In the 18th century when the Revolutionary War was fought, we 'Mericans used a contraction of it is, which was 'tis. Nowadays, it had changed to it's. I prefer 'tis, myself, but people would start looking at my funny. So, oh well.

I don't recognize that tune. But, I'll listen harder for it in the future. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I'm Polish but in my country, we learned English in our schools based on British, not American English, it is similar in other European countries, sorry Americans ;-)

In my country, November 11 is a great holiday for our independence day, because then, after the end of World War I, my country regained independence, for 123 years of partitions (enslavement).
    But in other countries, in particular, Great Britain and Commonwealth countries (former British Empire;))
    It is a day of remembrance of the fallen during World War I, my English teacher, she also taught Polish, but not my class, she taught us about the cultures of English-speaking countries, with particular emphasis on the countries of the British Commonwealth, so I know that song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvouc8Qs_MI
    It's "I Vow To Thee My Country" By British Composer Gustav Holst and it's from his "The Planets" orchestral suite and I Vow To Thee My Country it's from the "Jupiter" suite actually :smile:

I heard it while I was CAS it was so funny :smile:

Thank you very much for sharing that! A majestic tune with beautiful words, especially towards the end.
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 435 Member
    I heard it!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    There is a section in the TS4 piece that sounds similar, though certainly recast to fit the game theme. Would need to see the two scores to tell for certain.
    I was just in CAS and I finally heard it. Yes, PawelK198604, you were right. I heard the full version of I vow to thee my country/Jupiter. Pardon me for not believing you. I think each song comes in variations and I suppose I had only heard one of them before.

Anyway, it's a beautiful piece of music.
  • PawelK198604PawelK198604 Posts: 323 Member
    I was just in CAS and I finally heard it. Yes, PawelK198604, you were right. I heard the full version of I vow to thee my country/Jupiter. Pardon me for not believing you. I think each song comes in variations and I suppose I had only heard one of them before.

Anyway, it's a beautiful piece of music.

I told you I love music and I remember it from my English lesson at my Polish School ;-)