Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does my roof look so bland and boring?

2823fb5165b1c78bd41ac401af461547.jpg

Making an attached house and my God this roof is awful. Not sure if it is just me, but it looks hideous and nothing I do fixes it.

Comments

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    It looks fine, but if you want it to look more complex, try adding dormers or not doing all the top roof in one chunk.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    It looks good. Maybe you could add more details to one of the houses, like solar panels, window boxes, or a slightly different wall colour, to show more clearly that you have two different houses there.
  • OrangebarkOrangebark Posts: 2 New Member
    In real life though atrached houses and terraces dont have the same roof heights and patterns for all houses... so maybe split the roof in two and have one house with one height and another with a different pattern?
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Dormers, or gables running perpendicular, are easy fixes for this roofline. You might also try a hipped, rather than gabled, roof.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Orangebark wrote: »
    In real life though atrached houses and terraces dont have the same roof heights and patterns for all houses... so maybe split the roof in two and have one house with one height and another with a different pattern?

Where I live they do.
    I’d say add roof decor, OP. Or dormers like others suggest.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited August 2020
    Try to avoid building square and rectangle shaped houses. That's a common mistake made by many when building. Try adding some indents to the house. Even if it's just a minor detail. A small indent into the square/rectangle can actually make quite a difference.

This was my #1 mistake when I was younger and first started playing the game.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    I'd start by looking at building two roofs. Rooves? Roofs. With the gables facing forward, so that it looks less like this is one massive box and more like two houses that happen to be built with no space between them. Maybe the section of the sticky-out part in the back yard could be separated in the middle and some space between them to, again, make this look less like a giant box. Then you can tinker with what you want to do with the roof for that section.

I'm not sure how well it would work just by eyeballing it, but you might use multiple roof pieces, to see if the parts on the back can be like a saltbox house, where the front of the house is two stories and the back is only one story so the roof slopes down more sharply in the back.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    @NoTalent Making roofs that look interesting can be very complicated. It took me watching videos, asking others, and just fooling around with it to get good at it.

It looks fine to me in your picture. Quite well done actually. What were you intending?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Roofing is my weakness in this game. I'm terrible at roofing. It's helpful to read suggestions.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think my fave solution for this house would be adding gabled roofs other way around in the middle sort of like dormers and maybe even make attic

⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I agree with @Orangebark, that if you split up the house with a different higher roof it would not as boring. You could even put a fake 2nd floor on part of the houses to add more design elements even if you didn't actually use the 2nd floor.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I think it's just the shape, the house is rectangular so it looks boxy
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

For an example:
    This took a long time of playing to have it where it is now. Adding on here and there. This is my very first house. Looked about the same as the one next to it starting off, heh heh!
    aK40g2S.png
    LoMlpub.png

The one on the right I highly modified too when I needed to expand the household.
    XVeZpFr.png
    The two in-between "normal boring" ones I actually built an underground complex for for both of those instead.
    The thing is, none of these houses are ever actually finished. ;) Every time I play I'm always making at least small changes.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Maybe you are like me in that you dont find singular rectangular roofs not so appealing? i used to look at all the elaborate roofs people made and find them intersting while my roofs that looked like this felt lacking in character. I personally found yours alright but since you said it does not look right to you this might be why you feel this way.
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Not going to quote as it's too much effort. The house is essentially an attached house that has been built from a set of renovated flats. It could be that the scale is just off because the house I used is down the street and has the same roof with nothing else added. Perhaps, maybe, I'm just being fussy and looking too much into it. It's simple and the roofs that I do tend to be more oomph and less 'long box'.