Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Since kids can now knit up to level 10, what else should they do?

simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
After watching the livestream, I think it is excellent that kids can fully participate in the knitting skill, even becoming masters themselves. However, it made me stop and think about all the other things I wish that they could do in the game. I really miss the bake oven and bake table, just to name two activities that kids used to be able to do in Sims 2 and 3. What are some activities, skills, hobbies or crafts that you wish kids could undertake in the Sims 4?

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I also thought about how i'ld love that kids could do more stuff. I want them to ride bikes so much... and mostly i'ld love them to be able to craft all stuff that a teen can craft...
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Kids should be able to garden, and I realllllly wish child occults had some kind of abilities to play around with.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2020
    • Garden
    • Play with magic
    • Have tea parties
    • Painting at an easel
    • Playing more instruments
    • More after-school activities
    • Taking dogs for walks
    • Riding bikes and tricycles
    • Being able to raise baby dragons
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited July 2020
    Kids should be able to learn:
    • How to ride their first bike.
    • How to trundle a hoop.
    • How to sleigh in the snow.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I'd like hopscotch and jumping rope.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    -Just making some magical glitter, practicing with a wand.

-Water. A. Plant!

- Ride a bike. That is my current pandemic-side-thing. Trying to teach my very unwilling spawn to bike.

- Please go out with the dog too.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    I'd like them to be able to clean more. I miss the old cleaning skill. I think they should be able to "babysit" even if it's under supervision. Also agree with more after school activities - dance class, student council, sports, swimming, music. It would be great to have more kid-specific skills than just the four general ones and also to have more than the four aspirations.

Also agree as above that there should be more things open to kids that are already in game, like occult specific actions, bikes, gardening, dog walking, etc. I'd like them to be able to play tag or cops & robbers like in past games, or toss a baseball (would really like to see the soccer net make a comeback). Tangential to that, I would love a larger variety of playground equipment like slides (not just for toddler!), play houses, see saws or even just some visually different versions of the structures we already have.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2020
    Thank you all -- these are such great ideas and they've given me even more of my own. I had somehow completely forgotten that kids used to be able ride bikes in TS3. So we definitely need to have that ability back, along with all the wonderful kid socials from TS2 (hide and seek, cops and robbers, Mary Mack etc), and activities like hopskotch from TS3. Kids being able to use a scooter or a skateboard would be nice to have too. Some more kid to toddler interactions (beyond just talking together) would also be wonderful to have (like play peekaboo, teach nursery rhyme, build blocks together, etc). More group activities would be fun too: I like the current activity table, but it is a solo activity. I really miss the kid's activity table from TS2, at which a couple of kids and toddlers could sit together and build blocks or draw pictures together while raising both their social needs and relationships. I even miss being able to do homework together with kids that you don't control.

I too would love to have kids be able to garden, even if they had to have their own special gardening plot and unique plants to do it. Additionally, if we ever get a farming pack I sincerely hope kids can participate fully and do lots of chores (like being able to help with jam-making or creating preserves, feeding and playing with chickens, collecting eggs, assisting with animal feeding, grooming horses etc). I agree that they should be able to do more cleaning around the house too. Seasonal activities would be nice as well, like making a gingerbread house (with an adult or teen, or just with each other), decorating Winterfest cookies, freezing icy lollies in the summer, making and selling Lemonade and Iced Tea, like in Open for Business, etc. If they ever bring back the butter churn (from TS1), kids should be able to help with at least the churning, if not the whole butter-making process.

It would also be really nice to have some unique or new kid-specific activities or hobbies, for which they could use collectibles already in the game. For instance, I wish kids could do an activity like scrapbooking, perhaps by collecting different (existing) flowers, herbs and leaves to press (especially as they can't really collect anything much now and there is nothing much for them to do, for instance, if they go to Granite Falls or Selvadorado with their families). Some new kid-related games or activities would be welcome too, like playing with marbles, or chinese checkers, battleship, building models or putting together and running electric train sets, making more puppets for the puppet theatre (which could unlock new plays for them to perform), making a doll and sewing doll clothes, doing chalk or sidewalk art.

Finally, if they introduce any more crafts for sims to do in the future, like jewellery-making or pottery/ ceramics or sculpting, I sincerely hope they will remember to allow kids to do them as well. even if it is only at a low level.

I would love to see a kid over-watering a plant, happens here at least.

Gingerbread-houses <3

gingerbread_house_ark_des_stockholm_01-696x522.jpg

pepparkakshus-i-pepparkakshust.jpg

That's a big thing over here. There use to be exhibits of really good Gingerbread Houses at the architecture and design center in Stockholm.

https://www.swedentips.se/gingerbread-houses-at-arkdes-museum-in-stockholm/

pepparkakshus-2016_hus-4.jpg
    Gingerbread-houses <3

Are those even edible??
    ...I’m getting hungry.

I guess I’m easy prey for a Witch.

Gingerbread-houses <3

Are those even edible??
    ...I’m getting hungry.

I guess I’m easy prey for a Witch.

Ha ha, keep a buddy around as a look-out if you plan on munching on houses in mystical woods.

They are built of gingerbread, but.... I probably would not eat them.

The houses my family built are used as a decoration during winter. So after say two to three weeks they are less tasty. Not to mention that not all frosting is good to eat.

We make pretty gingerbread-decorations that are just for esthetics. Those are a bit thicker. Then we make super-thin ones for eating that are gone in two days.

Ehh... sorry to drop an essay on you. Just got inspired.
    Ehh... sorry to drop an essay on you. Just got inspired.

Not at all, it’s very interesting! I love these little cultural insiders.
    Over here gingerbread houses are only available around Christmas and they’ll be gone before they have a chance to shine at an exhibit (or even the kitchen). Bunch of Monsters we are. At least in Sweden there’s an appreciation for their design. Very cool! ;)
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I really want them to be able to bathe and walk pets. (I don't know about you, but that was a part of the deal when I got one as a kid.)

I also really miss the oven toy, lemonade and bakery stand, treehouse, and costume chest (just kind of a cute touch to let them dress up). Not to mention imaginary friends.

Also, the school choices for kids are meager. I'd love private and boarding schools back.

A little off topic, but I really wish kids could play with voidcritters with teens, too. It is such a shame that teens and up cannot play with voidcritters, too. It cuts off something they could do together.

But yeah, they should be able to water a plant. Maybe not spray for bugs or evolve plants, but basic care like watering and weeding.

I would love some occult child touches, too. Maybe special animations when playing or special toys they do it with. Like vampire kids biting toys or caster kids levitating them.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Gardening and they need an easy bake oven so they can bake things and they need a lemonade stand
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    This is a great thread. Everything listed would be a nice addition for kids. I would particularly like to see more child aspirations because it gets boring doing the same 4 over and over again. Perhaps we could have one especially for scouting.

Of the suggestions already made, I would particularly like kids to be able to do the following:

-Ride a bike
    -Gardening
    -Walk dogs
    -Play in a treehouse
    -Have a kid oven (and learn the cooking skill!)
    -Do magic (if a spellcaster)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited July 2020
    My parents taught me to make cakes and desserts, Baking/Cooking skill would be welcome.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    1. Tag
    2. Mary Mack
    3. Skip a Rope
    4. Show Off
    5. Cops and Robbers
    6. Play Forts
    7. Run and Play
    8. Kick Ball
    9. T Ball
    10. Play catch, any ball at this point
    11. Horse Shoes
    12. Ring Around The Rosies
    13. May Pole
    14. Super Hereos
    15. Play doctor either with other kids and or toys.
    16. Play dress up (As in TS3)
    17. Play exploring as explorers
    18. Build forts and tree houses and or cardboard camps
    19. Build go-carts, I guess no one here ever watched the original Little Rascals from the '30s where they built racers out of all sorts of weird things.
    20. Play theater, do plays and such.

You know kids' stuff instead of knitting and sitting around talking to adults. Snooze fest.
    Mini adults are not my view of kids, and that is obvious.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    This is a great thread. Everything listed would be a nice addition for kids. I would particularly like to see more child aspirations because it gets boring doing the same 4 over and over again. Perhaps we could have one especially for scouting.

Of the suggestions already made, I would particularly like kids to be able to do the following:

-Ride a bike
    -Gardening
    -Walk dogs
    -Play in a treehouse
    -Have a kid oven (and learn the cooking skill!)
    -Do magic (if a spellcaster)

Child spellcasters levitating toys is brilliant!!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I really want them to be able to bathe and walk pets. (I don't know about you, but that was a part of the deal when I got one as a kid.)

I also really miss the oven toy, lemonade and bakery stand, treehouse, and costume chest (just kind of a cute touch to let them dress up). Not to mention imaginary friends.

Also, the school choices for kids are meager. I'd love private and boarding schools back.

A little off topic, but I really wish kids could play with voidcritters with teens, too. It is such a shame that teens and up cannot play with voidcritters, too. It cuts off something they could do together.

But yeah, they should be able to water a plant. Maybe not spray for bugs or evolve plants, but basic care like watering and weeding.

I would love some occult child touches, too. Maybe special animations when playing or special toys they do it with. Like vampire kids biting toys or caster kids levitating them.

I want homeschooling or "study from home" options for both children and teens. I also think that teen+ should be able to play with Voidcritters, at least Sims with either the Childish or Geek traits. And I've long wanted kids to be able to garden: water plants, harvest the bush-type plants (probably not the trees), maybe even pull weeds. It could build the Motor skill then when that's maxed out start building Gardening.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Gardening, cooking, biking, playing more instruments, and playing sports with the adults in a group setting.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Knitting is nice and all for kids glad they got it but I'd prefer more child like activities kids still feel like mini adults that can just do less.

- Riding bikes I'm still annoyed they tossed bikes in University so the could exclude children. I also want ride together option for kids
    - Soccer
    - Baseball
    - Hopscotch
    - Marco polo seriously give kids something to do together in the pool
    - Play Tag
    - Jump rope single use or up to 4 kids
    - Ride horses
    - Dress up chest and be able to act in character and play with other children as it such as pirate dragon princess and so on
    - Lemon-aid stand Get to Work completely ignored the children
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    We need more playground equipment too: hopscotch, seesaw, slides for children, tree houses, these little ride thingies for toddlers we had in TS3 (don't know what they're called in English - I don't even know how to call them in German tbh haha), and I would like the little mary go round we had in TS2 to make a new appearance!
    Scobre wrote: »
    Gardening, cooking, biking, playing more instruments, and playing sports with the adults in a group setting.

I want Sims to be able to cook and bake together in general! Just imagine family and friends making some christmas cookies together!
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    There are so many things I would like to see them do. First I would like to be able to see them play together without toys. Tag, cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, London Bridge, ring around the Rosie, mother May I, Red light Green light. I lived in the upper desert of California growing up, someone had made little dirt mounds and we would throw dirt clods at each other sitting behind the mounds. There are so many things kids can play with other kids without toys. I realize some that I mentioned might not be time appropriate now..... but there are just so many non toy involved activities.

I thought looking for lizards and such in the desert was fun as a child. I thought it was so cute when they added looking for frogs at the beginning of the game, maybe they could add lizards ( and being able to feed and pet them ( only one block space animal/insect like the frogs). Or maybe they could catch a tarantulas, or hermit crabs. ( they could also be sold retail like in a pet store). Speaking of pet store, we should be able to buy birds too and interact with them (toddler through elder) and be able to buy cats and dogs at a pet store too.

Adults have bikes, but I wanted those more for children! Give them different types of bikes to ride! Give them skate boards to ride on. Give them razors. Give toddlers trikes and ride on toys.

I would love to see my child sim play catch with his father ( the pro Athlete ). Also, give us a baseball and/or mitt for the dresser/table/shelf.

Like someone else mentioned give them games for the pool. Marco pollo, diving for stones thrown in, above water ring toss. Pool SLIDES, and while you are at it make a park slide too..

Bring back hopscotch, dress up, tree houses, and the children’s stove. Bring back volleyball for 2-8 people..

Give the marbles and jacks and jump ropes to play with. Let them play with little green army men around a tree. How about playing with Barbie dolls....team up with Mattel on toys!

Also, let them do a little gardening, catch some bigger fish, offer their little siblings a treat.

Give us different games that can be purchased, put on a table or bookshelf, and taken out to play with up to 4 friends on a table or on the floor, adults included on some games.
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    There are so many things I would like to see them do. First I would like to be able to see them play together without toys. Tag, cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, London Bridge, ring around the Rosie, mother May I, Red light Green light. I lived in the upper desert of California growing up, someone had made little dirt mounds and we would throw dirt clods at each other sitting behind the mounds. There are so many things kids can play with other kids without toys. I realize some that I mentioned might not be time appropriate now..... but there are just so many non toy involved activities.

I thought looking for lizards and such in the desert was fun as a child. I thought it was so cute when they added looking for frogs at the beginning of the game, maybe they could add lizards ( and being able to feed and pet them ( only one block space animal/insect like the frogs). Or maybe they could catch a tarantulas, or hermit crabs. ( they could also be sold retail like in a pet store). Speaking of pet store, we should be able to buy birds too and interact with them (toddler through elder) and be able to buy cats and dogs at a pet store too.

Adults have bikes, but I wanted those more for children! Give them different types of bikes to ride! Give them skate boards to ride on. Give them razors. Give toddlers trikes and ride on toys.

I would love to see my child sim play catch with his father ( the pro Athlete ). Also, give us a baseball and/or mitt for the dresser/table/shelf.

Like someone else mentioned give them games for the pool. Marco pollo, diving for stones thrown in, above water ring toss. Pool SLIDES, and while you are at it make a park slide too..

Bring back hopscotch, dress up, tree houses, and the children’s stove. Bring back volleyball for 2-8 people..

Give the marbles and jacks and jump ropes to play with. Let them play with little green army men around a tree. How about playing with Barbie dolls....team up with Mattel on toys!

Also, let them do a little gardening, catch some bigger fish, offer their little siblings a treat.

Give us different games that can be purchased, put on a table or bookshelf, and taken out to play with up to 4 friends on a table or on the floor, adults included on some games.

I love all of your ideas! Combined with mine all of this would be a perfect addition to kids gameplay!

Also - we need more family (group) actitivites for more than 2 Sims!