Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seriously, who programs this thing?

ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
Haven't played for a few months, and decided to get back into it. Purchased Eco Living, fired up the game, and within an hour I was trying to figure out why half the furniture in the bar was missing. Spent an hour trying to fix it with autonomy disabling, and finally checked the web and found it's a bug. Complete lack of surprise on my part. Found a mod to fix it, but decided to go in and check the coding to compare and see what was causing the glitch. So basically when the Sharing is Caring is implemented, everything is supposed to be communal. Fine, although I don't see how anyone thought you could make that work. Which is why instead there is just a list of objects that sims can put in their inventory, including things like bar stools, tables, counters, couches, sinks...what no toilets? So sims just steal half the objects in a lot. Who in their right mind would think this was a good idea gameplay wise? Or real life wise, for that matter. If sims would come up from time to time and give you some money, food, a book, etc, THAT might have worked. But this is just monumentally colossally inane. Again.
Post edited by ravynwolvf on

Comments

• Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    It's just as true in the Sims' world as in ours that voting has consequences. If you can't be bothered to vote or research exactly what it is you're supporting...
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited July 2020
    And Yay, just got to stop my game AGAIN, and hunt down why everyone in my neighborhood is wearing bags and picking fights with me for no reason. So policies are bleeding from one neighborhood into the other. And in goes another mod to fix it. This one is a bug, so just inept this time instead of inane. Pack has only been out for six weeks, so way to keep your standards up, Maxis. That's three hours of play, two hours of fixing.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I agree. Most of the NAPS are a dumpster fire of terrible spammy programming. Fix it please!
  • OrangeSodaSINOrangeSodaSIN Posts: 58 Member
    it begs to question, but do they playtest? i know if i were in game development i wouldn't ship it out in this state....i would dely and fix it.
    edited July 2020
    I'm also not a big fan of the fact that once again I have to fight to keep my sim attracted to women, since free love keeps causing EVERYONE (especially his three male campus house roommates) to keep hitting on him. I've got nothing against any orientation and am fine with the all inclusion, but ALL gender preferences should be respected. Choices for your sim's orientation should be able to be made, and all sims should autonomously turn down advances from genders they aren't interested in. Sorry, but I'm not interested in watching my male sim me get back rubs from men or swoon when they flirt with him. Other sims in my neighborhood are welcome to whoever they want.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    lmao your title sums up pretty much what i think of ts4.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's really bad. Eco living has kinda ruined my sims social lives as I'm avoiding taking them to other worlds now. Just tonight while playing I thought it would be fun to have my sims go to the humor and hyjinks festival but nope it was just a big mess of sims fighting each other because the rough housing nap was active in San Myshuno. I wish we could just disable the entire nap thing. It's all pointless anyway.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Just wait. It gets worse the longer you play around with everything. Since installing the update and the pack I've had to add ten new mods to my game. And I have the NAPs and NPC voting turned off because I couldn't handle all the silliness that was going on with that feature. Mods for the gardening issues, mods for autonomous behaviors that are so repetitive they interfere with everything you want your Sims to do. Pets randomly disappear off my lots, just 'poof' and they're gone with no explanation why. The good news is all but one of the new gameplay objects work as advertised, but the rest of this pack is a jumbled mess. As usual, the new gameplay features in EL are stomping all over the main features from a lot of previous packs. Seasons, Get to Work, Cats and Dogs, Get Famous, City Living.....the list goes on and on. The pre-ep update is responsible for some of the new bugs, but the pack itself has more problems than Island Living did, and I thought that was a nightmare to deal with. EL's problems are worse because it touches/alters way too many of the main features of the game. And apparently, no one tested this pack with all the packs to see where the game needed some fine tuning before EA shoved it out the door and went on to other things.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It's really bad. Eco living has kinda ruined my sims social lives as I'm avoiding taking them to other worlds now. Just tonight while playing I thought it would be fun to have my sims go to the humor and hyjinks festival but nope it was just a big mess of sims fighting each other because the rough housing nap was active in San Myshuno. I wish we could just disable the entire nap thing. It's all pointless anyway.
    For the bolded part, is it really ONLY in my game, but when I do disable the NAP NPC votings from settings I do not have any active NAPs??? Yes I get the popups that this and this NAP is active, but it never is, cosmetic bug. Naturally if you did not disable NPC voting from the start you will have active NAPS, but if you do, disable the NPC voting, then with testingcheats enabled shift+click mailbox and delete the NAP.

NO, I am not defending the pack, I think it has most bugs than any pack so far.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I've been using the shift-on-the-mailbox-cheat to implement the four least obnoxious NAPS so no others can be elected in. 3 product releases in a year is a mistake if they're not playing these things enough to realize how out of hand the changes can be. I realize there are people working on the game who genuinely care about the work they're doing, but....it's not always obvious from the finished product.
  • SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    While I was playing, I see my sim is off to go and talk to a townie. Usually I quit the action but I had nothing for her to do and I was putting her toddler to potty. Anyway, I go to check on my sim and she and the other woman are both playing with clay. Then they both put the clay down and the other female sim automatically starts kissing on my sims neck. I looked in disbelieve and stopped it. So I click on the other sim and the only options are for my sim to introduce herself. They didn’t even know each other lol I don’t know, it was weird watching a random elder sim just randomly kiss my sims neck. I’m sure this has to do with eco life. Just not sure if it was a bug or not.
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • hilariteehilaritee Posts: 9 New Member
    I have all of the packs. I have absolutely no cc or mods installed. I was so confused by the things disappering all the time. I finally searched out the forums to try to figure out if it was a bug or if I was missing something or needed to repair my game. Learned that it was a feature. I hate it. I'm a builder and I like having all of my builds functional. The Sharing is Caring leaves community spaces with warnings because they are missing required elements. I then have to try to figure out the items I used before. I tried throwing a birthday party at a bar and within the first half of the event all of the tables and chairs and TV were all gone. No seating, no TV, no radio. It was the worst party because all of the activities just disappeared. We need a way to disable the NAP altogether or a way to opt out of certain ones.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Thank you for this thread. I was asking around for a thread that compiles Eco's bugs and I think I have found my answers here. This concludes it for me. No knitting or Eco because then I'll have to patch my game and introduce all these nightmares. :'(
  • BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Yikes. I've been on the fence about Eco Living but after this thread I"m definitely putting off buying indefinitely.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Proper testing requires time and money there is no profit. They need to fix Eco Living before going live with knitting.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    This just happened in my latest play sessions, i have two cats and they both disappeared into air out of nowhere! My sim called them back but they would not return and somtimes she would not even preform the action no matter how many times i told her to. It made me pretty worried that i ruined my save or something. They at last appeared next to her after she returned home from a visit. It happened another time before this, they both vanished and then appeared inside the next door apartment. I could see them inside when i rotate the camera even though nothing else shows inside. I sent her to visit the apartment, and the next thing i know is her walking to the festivals grounds followed shortly by the cats. Both situations happened almost back to back. Maybe the second one mentioned is normal? not sure as i just got the packs very recently. I ran into other annoying bugs as well, i am so frustrated right now.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    It's annoying that when sharing is caring is active my Sim can only steal limited items and only one at the time (there's a cooling period), but other Sims can steal whatever they want and as many as they want.
    I witnessed a single Sim emptying half of the bar, but when I tried to make my Sim steal something that was still left in there I didn't even have the option.
    Not fair. :angry:
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Yeah, it's a pretty terrible expansion on many levels.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I had problems in an old save. Started a new save and so far everything is good apart from fertilizing plants.

I have great time playing my functional save but I will not patch my game until I have seen happy people on the forum.

Right now my stuff is working so no Gallery or Patches or Packs until it things are better.
    edited July 2020
    My sim is going to college right now (always a challenge gameplay wise as well). I was having him take his love life slowly, but instead now, his only romantic relationship is with another guy. And to make it even more stupid, I had previously had him be mean to him, to the point of fighting, in hopes that would get him left alone. But no, the guy who despises him had to hit on him yet again. So not only is there no gender preference involved, but also no relationship numbers factored into it, either. It makes the 70's free love period look like they were stuck up in comparison to these sim sex fiends.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2020
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    My sim is going to college right now (always a challenge gameplay wise as well). I was having him take his love life slowly, but instead now, his only romantic relationship is with another guy. And to make it even more stupid, I had previously had him be mean to him, to the point of fighting, in hopes that would get him left alone. But no, the guy who despises him had to hit on him yet again. So not only is there no gender preference involved, but also no relationship numbers factored into it, either. It makes the 70's free love period look like they were stuck up in comparison to these sim sex fiends.

I find it kind of...hypocritical that they did not include sexual preference with free love. I remember Gamechangers praising them for including gay families in this expansion.

Well they are not gay in my game, free love turns everyone bi, I got free love and Tina Tinker is going around and flirting with my sims all the time. It's bound to happen if you have her coming over and visit your sim while free love is active.
    edited July 2020
    I'm going to post these here; hopefully they won't get deleted. They are all mods that take care of these first three annoyances I've found, and to me are almost essential:
    No Free Love (and yes, this is a free download)
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/no-npc-free-love-38213275

Fixes Civic Policies being applied to all neighborhoods at once:
    https://simvasion.wordpress.com/portfolio/nap-autonomy-fixes/

Sharing is Caring kelptomania fix:
    https://modthesims.info/d/643289/sharing-is-caring-kleptomania-fix.html

All three of which should get coffees and a year's supply of pizza from Maxis for keeping their game playable.

logion wrote: »
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

I find it kind of...hypocritical that they did not include sexual preference with free love. I remember Gamechangers praising them for including gay families in this expansion.

Well they are not gay in my game, I got free love and Tina Tinker is going around and flirting with men left and right.

I know, right? I'm sorry, but supporting all non-straight gender preferences (which again, I'm fine with) by making it impossible to play straight sims is hardly all inclusive.