Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your longest sims loading screen

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    @Atreya33 wrote: »
    About 5 minutes for the sims 4. I play on a laptop that was pretty decent when I got it but that has been about 4 years ago. I think sims 3 took longer to load but never actually timed it.
    I was just wondering because right now my current loading screen has been going on for 9 minutes!

Long loading screens can depend on various things:
    • Your machine. Does it have a decent processor and GPU in order to run the game?
    • The save (does it have many playable households in it?) (Start a new save and see if the issue persists).
    • CC/Mods: Do you have many? 1 or 2 can even be corrupt.(move them to the desktop and see if the game loads faster).
    • Do you have many screenshots? (take them out and create a back up)
    • Do you have many videos? (take them out and create a back up)
    • Do you have a big tray with many lots, rooms, sims in it?
    • Do you have any Custom Music?
    • Are you using shaders?

The game may need to load all of these items, depending on what you have installed.

My sims folder has grown pretty large. I should clean it up but I always think 'maybe I want to use this lot/sim/save in the future' . I will try to see what I can delete from this list next time I play.

I suggest backing up all tray items first before you delete them, so you don’t lose sims or lots altogether. You’d have to copy the actual trayfolder from the documents folder and paste it to your desktop or wherever you prefer to keep a BU. Here’s were you can find it:

Documents/ Electronic Arts/ Sims 4/ Tray

Once copied to the BU location you can Organize these tray items into subfolders based on dates that you created them. Since they have a unique ID you could always move them back into the documents tray folder at a later time, in case you want them back in your game.
    edited July 2020
    I was just wondering because right now my current loading screen has been going on for 9 minutes!

• Your machine. Does it have a decent processor and GPU in order to run the game?
    • The save (does it have many playable households in it?) (Start a new save and see if the issue persists).
    • CC/Mods: Do you have many? 1 or 2 can even be corrupt.(move them to the desktop and see if the game loads faster).
    • Are you using shaders?

The game may need to load all of these items, depending on what you have installed.
    Mine are usually 30 seconds ( I play on ps4 so no CC or mods )

I see. Try a cold reboot of the console. As in, turn it off, unplug it and leave it unplugged for a couple of minutes (2 should do) so the system can reset. Then reconnect.
    Also ensure that you’re running the latest PS4 system software.
    See if it helps cut down loading screen times.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Mine are 30 seconds or less. I'm on a gaming laptop that's about 2 years old now too.

On TS3, the last time, was 15 minutes and still not loaded before I just turned it off and never bothered again. Same computer. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    About 5 minutes for the sims 4. I play on a laptop that was pretty decent when I got it but that has been about 4 years ago. I think sims 3 took longer to load but never actually timed it.

• Are you using shaders?

My sims folder has grown pretty large. I should clean it up but I always think 'maybe I want to use this lot/sim/save in the future' . I will try to see what I can delete from this list next time I play.

I suggest backing up all tray items first before you delete them, so you don’t lose sims or lots altogether. You’d have to copy the actual trayfolder from the documents folder and paste it to your desktop or wherever you prefer to keep a BU. Here’s were you can find it:

Once copied to the BU location you can Organize these tray items into subfolders based on dates that you created them. Since they have a unique ID you could always move them back into the documents tray folder at a later time, in case you want them back in your game.

I had no idea I could use subfolders in the tray folder. That's definitely interesting. Is there any way to see which file is what, apart from the date?
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited July 2020
    Sims 4 : Maybe a minute.
    Sims 3 : I’m not making that up : I’m pretty sure it could last as long as 40-45 mins to launch on my old white macbook, and that was with a bit of cc, no mods, and only two EPs and a SP at some point. And then when it finally loaded it was laggy as ......
    Then on my current laptop (MacBook Pro) it was shorter but still a bit laggy.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2020
    These comments are really making me realise how slow my PC is lol. Takes atleast 10-15 minutes for me to get from Origin to playing TS4, and the Sims 3 was just yikes - 35 minutes and that's on a good day. I usually just go off and do something else while it's loading.
    Then again I have a lot of CC and most the packs now, it's gotten slower the more I've added and to be fair my laptop is from like 2014 and isn't a gaming PC so it makes sense. I really need to replace it sometime
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited July 2020
    For Sims 4? Longest award goes to 1 hour and 4 minutes. My computer crashed a few minutes later. My average loading time is about 20 minutes.

I need a new comp.
    banner.png
    edited July 2020

• Are you using shaders?

I had no idea I could use subfolders in the tray folder. That's definitely interesting. Is there any way to see which file is what, apart from the date?

@Atreya33,

To keep it organized, create the subfolders in the back up folder, not the actual tray folder, as this may cause problems.
    The only other way to see which file is which, is by looking at the ID Code of the tray items. The numbers should match up for each item.
    If you’re planning on organizing and backing up some of your households/lots, the best thing is to open them in the gallery and save them and move them Into a subfolders in the BU folder with a name unique to that date.

Here’s a link to a pretty clear CS4 guide in which the author explains how the tray system works and how you can identify your files:

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26535.0
    @Onverser wrote: »
    These comments are really making me realise how slow my PC is lol. Takes atleast 10-15 minutes for me to get from Origin to playing TS4, and the Sims 3 was just yikes - 35 minutes and that's on a good day. I usually just go off and do something else while it's loading.
    Then again I have a lot of CC and most the packs now, it's gotten slower the more I've added and to be fair my laptop is from like 2014 and isn't a gaming PC so it makes sense. I really need to replace it sometime
    For Sims 4? Longest award goes to 1 hour and 4 minutes. My computer crashed a few minutes later. My average loading time is about 20 minutes.

I need a new comp.

That’s tough going alright.
    TS4 Is not finished releasing packs yet, so anything you will get and install in the future will be more taxing on your system. That’s not counting mods.
    Depending on your budget, and If you’re looking for a new machine to play your games on, make sure you invest in something durable and future proof with a decent graphics card so you can enjoy your game at its highest settings without it being too demanding of the system.

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

If you have windows at least, once Sims 4 is open, pin it to the task bar of your computer... then you don't need to really go through origin each time. Just click Sims 4 directly on the computer. (I mean yeah it's sorta origin but saves you the steps of opening origin and then opening the game from in origin)
  • DezzyFoxDezzyFox Posts: 13 New Member
    Longest is about 12 seconds. Loading the game up itself takes about 8 seconds after skipping the EA logo videos.
    The game is installed on an NVMe SSD.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm not sure. I've never timed it. It's not long though maybe a minute or less?

A few days ago my game crashed on a loading screen and that one was pretty long does that count?
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited July 2020
    Huh. The PS4 game would regularly take 5-10 minutes for me. I would start up the game as my kids brushed their teeth, tuck them into bed, and then sit down to play. (Part of the reason I switched to PC...that I really, really wanted Outdoor Retreat, which had no PS4 release date in sight at the time.)

Maybe I just had too many families or something.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    For sims 4 on my current laptop which is a low end one about 5 minutes to load per save and I use no mods or cc. When I had sims 3 on my old low end laptop on a new-newish save about 5-10 minutes but once those saves got beyond playing them for about 4-5 months it would take between 45 minutes-1 hour to load. Again with no mods or cc. I had never heard of mods or cc until last year from reading this forum.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Any slowness in my game is my own fault. I have tons of cc, a growing number of mods, full inventories, and over 200 households. Plus I play on laptop. I accept any slowness as my payment for all that, but I don’t have to like it!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    TS4 is maximum of 2 minutes, usually much less (like 30 seconds or so but sometimes it takes longer). TS3 about 15 minutes max (usually much quicker but I didn't get the last few expansions and used no cc).
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited July 2020
    Probably never more than a minute. It feels like there's only enough time to look at the loading screen before it moves on. I have all the packs, and a bunch of mods/CC but it still loads quickly. I have a serious gaming rig.

My worse loading time was with Sims 2. I remember it taking forever (at least 10 minutes at times I think).
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Huh. The PS4 game would regularly take 5-10 minutes for me. I would start up the game as my kids brushed their teeth, tuck them into bed, and then sit down to play. (Part of the reason I switched to PC...that I really, really wanted Outdoor Retreat, which had no PS4 release date in sight at the time.)

Maybe I just had too many families or something.

5-10 on ps4? Wow, it was on sale not too long ago and I was really considering getting it for ps4 by bed used against it. Glad I did. The first sims I played was TS3 for PS3 and the loading times for that was crazy! The most I waited was probably 20-30mins. And about 5 minutes to travel to another lot as well.
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    @Onverser wrote: »

I need a new comp.

That’s tough going alright.
    TS4 Is not finished releasing packs yet, so anything you will get and install in the future will be more taxing on your system. That’s not counting mods.
    Depending on your budget, and If you’re looking for a new machine to play your games on, make sure you invest in something durable and future proof with a decent graphics card so you can enjoy your game at its highest settings without it being too demanding of the system.

Fingers crossed! I'm getting a new laptop this summer, so I will definitely keep those parameters in mind.
    banner.png
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    I don't know. My game never loads on first attempt, it just goes on computing like I've asked it calculate the size of the universe. I have to close and load it again and then it loads in about 2-3 minutes.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    3 minutes in HDD, try invest on nvme ssd, it will cut your loading time, mine is only 5 secs
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    TS3, with no CC and only a small bunch of Nraas mods: around 10-15 minutes.
    TS4, 720MB mods folder, around 1 minute....? I never timed it, since I start the game, load the save and go get coffee, visit bathroom, let the cat in/out, grab a snack/whatever...and its fully loaded when I get back.
    Now, loading all the family images in household management, though....takes a lot longer
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • StarleyStarley Posts: 3 New Member
    The Sims 4: Probably less than a minute when my game was on an HDD. Since upgrading to an SSD I'm not sure...maybe 15-20 seconds max? Very probably less. I use a lot of mods, cc, and have every expansion pack, game pack, and all but three stuff packs. So even with all that it's loaded.

The Sims 3: On my old PC I honestly waited 10+ minutes on a loading screen. That PC ran on an HDD and lesser gpu/cpu. I haven't tried it on my new PC. Maybe I should soon?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Imho looking how the Sims series is programmed over time loading screens can become long over time and need trimming time to time even for Sims 4 and reading some of the posts Sims 4 is not really immune to long loading times as Sim versions has so many packs interlaced with each other and for me why EA/Maxis must regularly tweak their game. Also as packs keep being added it will use more computer resources over time and over time the low end systems might feel the load.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen