Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Exactly is the Purpose of the Museum Lot?

I have been creating a template save now, and I am debating what could I do to Museum Lots? I just realied that I demolished the one in Del Sol Valle with no second thought, as it feels like there is no meaningful gameplay aside from viewing art. Libraries have books, Bars have foods to eat and drink, but museums? Any idea what should I do to make them interesting? Do you also use museums in the game?

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited July 2020
    You should keep one at least because it's required as a step in completing the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration.
    I use to use them as a place to take dates before we got more venues. Now mostly my wanderers land there I usually put out more easels so you can paint without buying an easel (can help if your sim is poor).
    I think it's nice too in general because we do have museums in real life so ... it doesn't have to be there but some people will want and use it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Museums are boring. I never have my sims go there unless it's for an aspiration requirement.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Depending on what kind of save you're making, you can always change the type of museum it is. So maybe instead of art, it's a natural history museum/science museum (using the collectibles - fish, geodes, crystals), or a children's museum. I personally think there aren't enough dynamic reactions and expressions by Sim when they do the "View" interaction which is the staple of the art museum, so I don't visit the museum often. Also, an art museum in my city has an art school and a cinematheque attached to it; maybe you can do something like that.
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I never ever use them. My sims havent set foot there in a long time, but to be honest i dont take them to the gym or library either. I prefer parks and resturants and places like that for a hangout. Maybe you can turn it into something else like a resturant while still keeping some art there?
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    Can you make a museum act as double duty? Something else to do there to make it worthwhile?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Can you make a museum act as double duty? Something else to do there to make it worthwhile?

A museum coffee shop would be cool. I'm so rubbish at building. :D
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    You should keep one at least because it's required as a step in completing the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration.
    I use to use them as a place to take dates before we got more venues. Now mostly my wanderers land there I usually put out more easels so you can paint without buying an easel (can help if your sim is poor).
    I think it's nice too in general because we do have museums in real life so ... it doesn't have to be there but some people will want and use it.

Thanks for the Tip, I am starting to play with Aspirations that I never done before so I will keep one.
    Depending on what kind of save you're making, you can always change the type of museum it is. So maybe instead of art, it's a natural history museum/science museum (using the collectibles - fish, geodes, crystals), or a children's museum. I personally think there aren't enough dynamic reactions and expressions by Sim when they do the "View" interaction which is the staple of the art museum, so I don't visit the museum often. Also, an art museum in my city has an art school and a cinematheque attached to it; maybe you can do something like that.

Mm I think I will just convert the Museum in Willow Creek for Community Space. A Cinema is a nice idea I might Try it Thanks!
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

is it possible? Or do we need to pay or the services to come?
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »

is it possible? Or do we need to pay or the services to come?

I don’t think it’s possible from my experience of downloading a library community center filled with easels/computers/telescope and a coffee shop.No one was tending the coffee bar, and no one was making it themselves either. I had to hire a guy to come. Wish someone would come tend it autonomously though
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I use mine as a wedding venue, I find you can decorate a nice space and still meet the requirements. I usually add an easel in a nice outdoor garden space, I put a bar, dance floor, stereo, and buffet table in one area for a reception. Once the wedding area is set up, I just add various art pieces that go with the decor.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I use mine as a wedding venue, I find you can decorate a nice space and still meet the requirements. I usually add an easel in a nice outdoor garden space, I put a bar, dance floor, stereo, and buffet table in one area for a reception. Once the wedding area is set up, I just add various art pieces that go with the decor.
    That's what I do. I have a few different 'churches' dotted around the worlds that are all museums for weddings.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited July 2020
    I use them for churches too. I've been thinking of making a museum or church featuring Selvadorada artifacts for a change. My explorer sims have a lot of artifacts and no extra space in their house, and they don't really need the money at the moment.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Museums are home to my painting club. I only allow art-loving sims into it as they automatically become inspired by viewing art. The only annoyance is having to constantly enter build mode to free up the easels.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    To be honest I've just bulldozed mine and replaced them with spas. I've never used them at all they're completely and utterly pointless
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I usually only use them when I am playing a thief!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    I always thought museums were there to store and display your collections. When I used to play painter sims, if they ever pained some Masterpiece, it would go in a museum for display.

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I like having my Sims go on outings to the museum as a social event.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I admit, I never used them either. Even back when I only had the base game. They just felt... Kind of pointless and nothing in these 6 long years has changed that. Are they bad to have as an option? No, but if they were never there in the first place it would not have made much difference. Even the archeology skill does not integrate well with them.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    Usually, I use museums also as fancy party and wedding places.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited July 2020
    The one in Willow Creek is a popular wedding venue in my game. I made some edits so that it is set up for repeat weddings. There's a piano and bar. There's a chocolate fountain. I have an area on the upper balcony with a wedding arch, benches and flower petals. Bring your own cake and keep the bride and groom on separate floors until the ceremony. I think I added a grill or it was already there with tables in the garden for food. It's not a restaurant, it's specifically for parties.

I use the one in San Myshuno as an actual art gallery with the bar attached. My city sims do go there to get out of the house especially if they are creative types.

I almost never use the one in Oasis Springs so I need to think about that. I've only played with Del Sol Valley a few times. I didn't think about sending my other sims there to tour the museum like tourists but it's a good idea.

I'm keeping the one in Selvadorada as-is. I've visited it a lot at this point but it seems like a realistic place to go on vacation. I often send sims there at least once when they arrive in Selvadorada. They do not go jungle-trekking without first going to the museum.

It's true that more could be done with these. They suggested the ability to have gallery parties and I would like these. Maybe we could get art auctions. We do have flea markets. It's true though that it would be good to have an event that ties into the use of the museums.

I'm adding that I do have several churches but they are downloads that I put on empty lots. I have one small historic chapel on the Windenburg Island for Catholics and old mainline protestants. There's this modern "free" protestant church in Oasis Springs that has a bar and party area. There's also a church in StrangerVille that is like a pioneer style church. I have several clubs that are associated with these churches so they actually seem like they have services and socializing. The "free" church in Oasis Springs is a happening place.

There are other religions in my game but not venues for them, I would add a few other different ones. As we get more worlds and lots, maybe. I do say that certain households are associated with certain churches.

The Villareals, some other households in my game, etc, are Catholic. StrangerVille people go to the church in StrangerVille. The Oasis Springs one has a following but mostly from Oasis Springs with a few others.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I keep the one in Willow Creek because it's set up the best. I've replaced most of the base game paintings with ones from packs, and added doors to go outside to the decks where I have a bunch of easels set up. (I agree it's a pain to go into B/B to clear the easels.) Since I usually have several Sims that go for the Painter aspiration (the reward not just lets your Sim paint emotional paintings regardless of mood, they can also write the emotional books so I have my intended writers complete it, usually when they're in their teens) a museum is a necessity for my game play.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I always delete the museums as I never use them. I keep the one in Brindleton Bay since it is off on it's own island and kind of out of the way. I usually convert the museum in Willow Creek to a wedding venue and the one in Oasis Springs usually becomes a public pool lot.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited July 2020
    I mostly use them for aesthetic purposes. Each world (minus Magnolia Promenade) has a museum in it that I like to pretend tells the history of that specific world or whatever. There doesn't seem to be an actual purpose, but they're still very nice to have! Honestly, museums are one of my favorite venue types to build! :heart:

Also, they can sometimes be great venues for weddings or even birthday parties (like for nerdy or very artsy kids)... if built well and correctly, of course.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I built a Norman style castle in windenburg which I’ve made a museum very much like uk and European castles where you visit and see the rooms and chambers as they were. I send my sims there for a day out to look around or paint from the top of the towers. It also has the ghost lot trait so for sims who visit at night get spooked.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I've been planning to modify the one in Oasis springs to be an Air and Space/Science museum, with an observatory, that oversized microscope and maybe a rocket - as well as digging some Sixam items out of Debug.

I like museums in real life but yeah, the ones in the Sims don't have a lot of use as is. (though I have used the one in Brindtleton Bay for a date or two because it seemed right.)