Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Retail Store Question

It's been many years since I had a sim run a retail store. I got the idea from another use for my sim to sell items he found dumpster diving. So he set up the store and hired the employees. He said it with a 100% markup. On opening day they were opened for 8 hours and only sold one item.

Will it always be like this? Anything I need to do to get more sales?

Comments

• Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Haven’t played a retail since 2018, but from I remember you need perks to get more customers to walk in and buy something instead of just loiter. Though iirc if you quickly start at 100% markup customers won’t spend too quickly. Slowly build your way up and unlock perks that make customers more likely to buy something. Employees should also have their skills trained to make them more effective.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Haven’t played a retail since 2018, but from I remember you need perks to get more customers to walk in and buy something instead of just loiter. Though iirc if you quickly start at 100% markup customers won’t spend too quickly. Slowly build your way up and unlock perks that make customers more likely to buy something. Employees should also have their skills trained to make them more effective.

ok thanks. I'll knock it down to 50% and try from there
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    The most expensive your items are, the more difficult are the sales. Also as mentioned perks will help you later on.

But the retail system in the Sims 4 has a big flaw which is that you have to work really hard on selling stuff to sims. It's not really a realistic "sim goes in, browses and eventually buys something". Unless you install a mod, you will have to me talking to customers for hours to make them buy anything.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    it isn't easy to make a sale but you can increase the opportunity by offering lower prices as you begin ...gain perks and up your social skills, then increase sales gains periodically as you progress along with charisma and your sales perks....patience gets you where you set goals to be!
  • Options
    The most expensive your items are, the more difficult are the sales. Also as mentioned perks will help you later on.

But the retail system in the Sims 4 has a big flaw which is that you have to work really hard on selling stuff to sims. It's not really a realistic "sim goes in, browses and eventually buys something". Unless you install a mod, you will have to me talking to customers for hours to make them buy anything.

Yea I'm noticing that. It's kind of annoying. When I had a sim running a bakery years ago I don't recall it being this tedious. In fact, I recall not even getting to all the customers who wanted to buy because it was too many for my sims to ring up. I mean, it's still fun though.
  • Options
    wickichick wrote: »
    it isn't easy to make a sale but you can increase the opportunity by offering lower prices as you begin ...gain perks and up your social skills, then increase sales gains periodically as you progress along with charisma and your sales perks....patience gets you where you set goals to be!

Hopeful advice!! :) Thanks!
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Customers are attracted to cheaper stuff. Consider lowering the price and compensate with amount of merchandise you sell. Compensate for restocking price with bonuses purchased for retail points. Manage you're employees well and make sure yo single out customers that are actually there to purchase something. They have more options of retail interaction available. Run your store aggressively. Consider adding cheaper stuff to make sure that you're selling enough to pay your employees. Prioritize fastest checkout bonus.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.