Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic Is Great

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I love the visuals and the concept but I find the gameplay lacking, you just practice magic and talk to sages and bam! spell learned. Not really any challenge or goals or story
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Is there any difference between which magic you practice? Because it's not like there are separate "skills" for the different magic types.

Plus each one looks the same when you practice it. It would have been cool if untamed magic was more dramatic looking than practical magic.

It just feels kind of unfinished you know?
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I love the visuals and the concept but I find the gameplay lacking, you just practice magic and talk to sages and bam! spell learned. Not really any challenge or goals or story

Yeah, too easy for my liking but luckily there are mods.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    I quite like Realm of Magic too. Sure, the HQ was a bit undercooked, but that's fixed easily enough with cheats to let you enter BB there. I think they did a really great job with all the familiars, wands, different tomes, and even spell diversity. There were a few spells I miss, like Banish, and it also slightly disappoints me that I can't actually kill other Sims with spells, but overall, I have fun with it. Alchemy is a lot of fun, and the potions are easy enough to make, and there's a shop to fill in gaps if you don't have the stuff, and I love the animations of the Sims brewing in the cauldron. I think this was a much more fleshed out pack than even Vampires - Vampires is still glitchy because I don't ever see vampires coming in to drink from my Sims outside of the initial visit from Vlad when you start a save.
  • Kriztle_PyreKriztle_Pyre Posts: 7 New Member
    Finally got the pack despite my Irl friend saying it wasn't really worth it. (Thats what he thinks bet he didn't know how my file would actually play out after getting it.) The pack itself is awesome but I do agree on the realm and the greenhouse, there should've been more to do.
  • l0keyrosel0keyrose Posts: 71 Member
    I like it doe, only I get annoyed of my sim keeps falling of the broom
  • EmptyGoldEmptyGold Posts: 8 New Member
    > @jimbbq said:
    > Glad you are enjoying it. I played it once but don’t feel like playing it again. I play vampires multiple times and am even thinking to replaying Strangerville. Somehow I was expecting more different magic. I mean all the magics are nothing new things we already have in the game in one form Or another. What about something really novel Sims team. Like I dunno summon a dragon or something. Surprise me.

I don't have it yet but already from what I am hearing I want spells that are more powerful, and something that you can't play through in two hours. It sounds cool, but like it could use a lot more from it. More spells, harder to learn, magical schools, etc.
    > @kwanzaabot said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yes! Exactly! The world design is really a step down from Maxis' usual standard.
    > It LOOKS nice, but it's so lacking in content it really feels like it's unfinished (and the bugs at launch make me wonder if maybe it was)

I don't yet have the pack, but so far from what I have heard it is really lacking. I'd really love for the realm of magic to be more like a whole organized magic society, and less of a few shops and placeholder sages. I'd really like for it to be a whole world with parks and magic schools and potion shops, etc.
    > @Wallsisms4ever said:
    > I love this pack so much. It should have been an EP though, there was SO much more they could do with this theme, and so little they can do with Eco Lifestyle. Oh well.

I agree-- they could have done magical schools and whole worlds. It also is annoying that NPCs turn into spellcasters, it should be harder to enter and find the portal. Even as it is I feel as though it is overpriced-- I don't want to pay twenty dollars for a game pack that everyone is saying is quite lackluster. I wish they had really added a lot more to this.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    This pack is amazing. Not as good as Vampires in terms of gameplay and how fleshed out it is, but it's still absolutely wonderful. Occults are one of the things The Sims 4 does right.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    I had a problem with vampires just walking in my sims new apartment trying to get to my sim (this was like 7 months ago) so I got mad and frustrated and though: “ok fine, just you wait, i will be back and you will burn!”

Went to the magical realm and became a spellcaster, focused on learning the fire spell and then went back and set all the vampires on fire who tried to disturb me.

Now i have mccc and whenever a sim is annoying me or just keeps walking in to my home or is bugged out, I mark them for death, preferably death by embarrassment 😂
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • MagicalSimmer110MagicalSimmer110 Posts: 20 Member
    I have this pack but have never really tried it. I don't quite understand how it works. Can someone tell me how to become a spellcaster without doing it in CAS?
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Really enjoying this thread! I love witches in tv shows and movies and in previous games. But with RoM, i don't know exactly why, im resisting so much to buy it... It's one of the only 2 packs that i don't own yet.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited June 2020
    Eh. The aesthetics of the world are great, but that's the only good thing about the world. The premades are not what they were advertised, instead we got much uglier, inferior versions of them. The school/castle/hall building is sub-par in appearance, other Simmers have made far superior schools without CC.

I do enjoy the system of how magic works, but disappointed with its appearance. In TS3, it was flashy. Here, it's just sparkles. Meh. Magic also accomplishes what you could already do in the game, so it's just a new way to accomplish the same thing. Progressing magic for the first time literally devolves to "talk to sages, watch Sim wave arms around casting spells for a few in-game hours" and that's it, you're a master caster. Whoop-ee. It has as much content as Jungle Adventure does. A few hours of gameplay and then you're bored again. In my opinion, the pack to add in supernatural abilities, Vampires, is still top dog.

Still, it's a good base for modders. I am intrigued by this prospect:
    alan650111 wrote: »
    One of my favorites. I love having spellcasters. I also get more enjoyment by downloading the massive amounts of custom spell mods that are out there.

"Massive amounts of custom spell mods". This, to me, sounds like people have created their own spells, besides Triplis's mod and Neil's. If this is true, I will immediately look into it.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    In my opinion, it's O.K. I mean, I get magic, and the Art Nouveau-inspired aesthetic is really nice...but gameplay-wise it's extremely grindy, and not in a good way. Plus, the spells aren't as dangerous as I'd hoped they'd be and the curses are more of a minor annoyance than a real gameplay-impacting consequence. The worst thing that can happen is death from overcharge, but that's easy to avoid thanks to familiars and the Discharge ability, which you get very early on in your magical journey. Rocket brooms are cool...but I wish we could choose to travel off lot or to work/school using our brooms like we could in TS2 and TS3 and maybe just, you know, sit on the broom while it's floating in the air just to pose or while reading or chatting or whatever.

...Also, recycled vampire eyes and pointy ears. Nothing unique at all in terms of caster genetics. I am disappoint.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I need like 10,000 mods just to make it bearable to play and then it's quite fun. My only gripe with RoM is that there isn't more to do in the magic realm and the spells are kinda boring.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    For me, the biggest disappointment with Realm of Magic was that they chose not to do anything with toddlers and children in this pack. I would have loved it if toddlers had manifested magic accidentally or spontaneously by doing such things as teleporting themselves at will or fetching a toy or a snack, and also if kids could have done a few simple spells, perhaps child versions of the adult spells like in TS1, or even just summoning little pixies or sprites to play with them. (If they were going to give Sprites to secret society members in DU, there's no reason why something similar couldn't have been done for the smaller sims). Even a small amount of gameplay for the younger sims, along the lines of what we're getting with Nifty Knitting, would have made this pack feel more complete.

As for the magic realm, there are a lot of things I love about it. I love the shops area and the rotating wares on offer (great for collecting); I wish only that they would have added an eatery of some sort with a unique recipe (pumpkin juice? magic mushroom risotto?) or two so that sims could congregate and eat in front of a food stall (like the sort of street vendor that used to sell roast chestnuts etc in Victorian days). I love the main house, with random sims duelling and casting spells, and I don't mind the bare bones quality of it because the lot is editable. For instance, I easily made it into a training academy/ dormitory with a really creepy library full of dead things and I like it much better than I would have liked an uneditable lot. I do wish they had given us a quest or two for the other parts of the world, like making the new plants harder to find or otherwise giving us something to unlock, such as by going to the greenhouse and finding a magic way inside. I think some goal-oriented gameplay (besides simple gathering of spawned plants) would have improved that part of the world. In general, I wish there was an extra incentive to becoming a maxed out, powerful spellcaster, such as ascending to join the sages and helping in some arcane ritual to bind the world together more (complete with some unique and special animations of brief reintegrations before everything is constantly breaking apart again). But the appearance of the world (including the greenhouse and duelling grounds) is wonderful and really adds a lot to my enjoyment of the pack.

I like the spells and I don't find them as grindy as TS3 spells were. (I got so sick of conjuring that silly apple). For me they don't approach the beauty and completeness of the TS2 spells, though. The only thing they do better than TS2 is that they do not limit any of the spells or potions to a certain type of witch (good, evil, neutral) which was a definite downside there. Having to craft reagents in the cauldron to act as ingredients was also really grindy and could be annoying at times (although the secret lots helped a bit in that sims could level up their skill more quickly there). Luckily, LittleMsSam's mods have greatly improved the original spells and there are some creative ones available for download to add to the ones we were given with the pack. I would love it if, alongside some crosspack functionality with future packs, they updated the spellbook to add a new spell from time to time (although I don't really expect that to happen despite the fact that it would be really nice).
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Eh. The aesthetics of the world are great, but that's the only good thing about the world. The premades are not what they were advertised, instead we got much uglier, inferior versions of them. The school/castle/hall building is sub-par in appearance, other Simmers have made far superior schools without CC.

I do enjoy the system of how magic works, but disappointed with its appearance. In TS3, it was flashy. Here, it's just sparkles. Meh. Magic also accomplishes what you could already do in the game, so it's just a new way to accomplish the same thing. Progressing magic for the first time literally devolves to "talk to sages, watch Sim wave arms around casting spells for a few in-game hours" and that's it, you're a master caster. Whoop-ee. It has as much content as Jungle Adventure does. A few hours of gameplay and then you're bored again. In my opinion, the pack to add in supernatural abilities, Vampires, is still top dog.

One of my favorites. I love having spellcasters. I also get more enjoyment by downloading the massive amounts of custom spell mods that are out there.

"Massive amounts of custom spell mods". This, to me, sounds like people have created their own spells, besides Triplis's mod and Neil's. If this is true, I will immediately look into it.

You're in luck!

http://www.modthesims.info/d/633665/

https://modthesims.info/d/637203/more-spell-is-fun.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/633667/climatio-weather-controlling-spell.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/635990/forbidden-spells.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/643304/rom-curses-are-now-spells.html

I think there are more custom spells if you look around some more. Love them! They add to the enjoyment of the pack tenfold! Be sure to add the spellbook injector mod first so they can work! :)
  • hexoglyph11hexoglyph11 Posts: 21 Member
    Yes, I totally agree, it’s one of my favourites too! I love creating witches and warlocks, and the new clothes and furniture are so pretty! I would say that there is definitely more they can do with it in some areas, but overall I love experimenting and having fun with it.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member

You're in luck!

http://www.modthesims.info/d/633665/

https://modthesims.info/d/637203/more-spell-is-fun.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/633667/climatio-weather-controlling-spell.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/635990/forbidden-spells.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/643304/rom-curses-are-now-spells.html

I think there are more custom spells if you look around some more. Love them! They add to the enjoyment of the pack tenfold! Be sure to add the spellbook injector mod first so they can work! :)

Great list. I also like some of these spells. I would like to add two personal favourites to the list :
    upgradios : upgrade objects
    celebratio : conjure cakes
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    The Magic Realm is completely ruined for me by the stupid situational outfits. Why is every other person there wearing the stupid wintersday hat? I avoid the Realm as much as possible despite liking the aesthetics because I don't want to spend half my play time using MCCC to force change outfits or, when really annoyed, killing all the stupidly dressed sims. And don't get me started on my OWN SIMS turning up with that stupid hat....
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    Yeah, it's my second favourite game pack (after Vampires), and I love the mix of gothic, victorian and modern cas and bb styles. Also, the gameplay itself opens up loads of story possibilities. The magic realm looks awesome as well, though I do agree that the randomly generated outfits there are annoying (I took a sim their once to find two townies dressed as hotdogs having a magical duel).
    banner.png
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    I have this pack but have never really tried it. I don't quite understand how it works. Can someone tell me how to become a spellcaster without doing it in CAS?

@MagicalSimmer110 , go to Glimmerbrook and find the magical portal at the head of the river. That's how your sim gets to the Magic Realm. Once there talk to one of the three sages and get the relationship bar up a little bit and then you can ask them to make your sim a spellcaster. Eventually your sim can get the ability to make other sims spellcasters. After that the trait can also be genetically inherited.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited June 2020
    I just recently really focused on playing a sim through it and my only real problem is that as others have said it's just not that challenging. For one thing my sim is on track to have every possible perk; there's no balancing effect like the weaknesses vampires have to take and a lot of them do very similar things. And some of the potions are extremely powerful for very little cost - if I can use a single apple to make four potions that completely restore all needs, why do anything else? I've downloaded a couple of mods but I'll have to check out the list posted above for more.

Edited to add: More RoM mods and spells can be found at Zero's Sims 4 Mods here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/realm-of-magic-35030446
    Post edited by Simpatsyann on
  • EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    I think Realm of Magic has some good features... But I really had to make it my own to enjoy it. I customized basically everything in the pack with mods and rebuilds and created lots of shady looking spellcasters to spawn in the Magic Realm. Now I finally reached the point where the world and atmosphere is somewhat to my liking (tip: get rid of all the randomized townies in the Realm and the hideous situational outfits).

When you put some work into it, this pack can be really fun to play with. However, we as players shouldn't be the ones to have to do all this tweaking - the devs should do that work before release.

Oh and as many others have said: everything is way too easy in this pack.