Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dumpster dive items

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before...

I'm wondering how you all sell your (larger) dumpster dive items that won't fit on the table without just dragging it into the buy/build sell? I'm hoping that my sims can sell the larger items without 'cheating' but not sure how. Originally I thought maybe they could sell them at the flea market but I don't see an option to rent a tarp...
So now I'm thinking maybe they'll have to buy a retail store to sell them?

What has everyone else done/tried? Thanks

Comments

• AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    I was hoping the same as you, and also went to the flea market to try there....my solution was exactly what you’ve said, to build a kind of open air market retail plot (used one in the middle of the dock area) and then when she’d raised enough cash to buy it I took her there to have a few days ‘at market’.

It worked pretty well for my story line - did get a weird effect where it looked like the surrounding whole area had been flooded while the market was open though! Also hadn’t thought it through properly about selling electronics outside without cover.....the storm didn’t go well :D
  • InvisibleLyndzInvisibleLyndz Posts: 3,861 Member
    AliSim19 wrote: »
    I was hoping the same as you, and also went to the flea market to try there....my solution was exactly what you’ve said, to build a kind of open air market retail plot (used one in the middle of the dock area) and then when she’d raised enough cash to buy it I took her there to have a few days ‘at market’.

It worked pretty well for my story line - did get a weird effect where it looked like the surrounding whole area had been flooded while the market was open though! Also hadn’t thought it through properly about selling electronics outside without cover.....the storm didn’t go well :D

Oooh yes, that sounds like a plan! I didn't really want to purchase a building as such so the open air market sounds good. What do you do just buy a till?
    I haven't actually played with the retail aspect of the game yet so unsure what we can/can't do..
    I bought a till and a kitchen counter piece for it to go on, and put up one wall to display the art work I’d found plus one table for my crafted lamps (then realised I could have just used one of my cleaned up ones!)

For the second day I added a toilet block (used the granite falls one) and a dumpster....made it a lot less stressful!
    I bought a till and a kitchen counter piece for it to go on, and put up one wall to display the art work I’d found plus one table for my crafted lamps (then realised I could have just used one of my cleaned up ones!)

For the second day I added a toilet block (used the granite falls one) and a dumpster....made it a lot less stressful!

Sounds good! I'm going to try this out.
    With all harvested plants/honey/soy blocks etc are we able to sell them too? I'm guessing on the table and individually?
    You can put those out to sell no problem and yep, it’s table and individually tagging for sale. I chose not to on this run because I wanted my hard won sales to be my big ticket pieces not the low value ones. Next time, when I haven’t amassed quite so many big pieces, I might do both - be fun to see which they choose!

I did try a yard sale from my lot for the small stuff and failed so sell a single thing on 3 attempts, does anyone have any good suggestions for a selling location that works? (I didn’t do very well at the community lot either)
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    It's funny to me that they didn't come up with a way to sell bigger items like using the tarp object for those street sales or you know using the flea market lol.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    You can put those out to sell no problem and yep, it’s table and individually tagging for sale. I chose not to on this run because I wanted my hard won sales to be my big ticket pieces not the low value ones. Next time, when I haven’t amassed quite so many big pieces, I might do both - be fun to see which they choose!

I did try a yard sale from my lot for the small stuff and failed so sell a single thing on 3 attempts, does anyone have any good suggestions for a selling location that works? (I didn’t do very well at the community lot either)

I had very good luck on the Community Spaces Lots when they were changed. That is, I put sale tables on all my community space lots -- not the first, garbage dump version, but the Maker Space, and the Community Garden (and the Market place, obviously, already had some). These lots are always very crowded and I found my sim was able to sell all her items (fizzy juices, candles and soy wax) even with a huge markup. Her table was very popular at both the Community Garden and the Maker Space.
    That sounds like a great idea, I’ll try that thank you 😊

I’m moving more and more to the idea of just one community lot that combines all 3 spaces, my maker lots seem so much busier than the others
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    edited June 2020
    That sounds like a great idea, I’ll try that thank you 😊

I’m moving more and more to the idea of just one community lot that combines all 3 spaces, my maker lots seem so much busier than the others

yea do it. I saw a game changer on YouTube make a space that had all three and downloaded her 3 in 1 and love it. It's lilsimsie if you want to look at it.

I have to wonder if it will only be busy in Evergreen Harbor or if we would get the same amount of busyness in placing it in other worlds. hmmm.
    I've already placed down 3 in 1 lots on all my maker lots, it's so much easier! I'd definitely recommend it.

Also AliSim19 I went with your idea of selling the dumpster dive items at the 'dock' area, had the same weird effect as you with the surrounding area looking all... deleted? But it worked!
    ...until, unbeknown to me, that specific neighbourhood had the caring is sharing NAP and a sim kept stealing my till. Took me 3 tills until I just had enough and decided to lock it in a room :'(:D
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    I only created a few community space lots yet, and I do combine the 3 features, but on the sub versions each feature gets a bit more attention, just in order to have some visual changes according to votes. I wish the market place sub could have been combined with retail though, but guess it's too complex as no sim actually owns the community space. Hm, I did not check if it can be owned... maybe it can.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    @InvisibleLyndz Oh no, I never thought about the dangers of Sharing is Stealing....I might add a notice board to my market lot just so that I can check every time. I’ve started just insta-repealing it every time it shows up it upsets me that much! If you got the same weird drowned docks effect it must be a bug, but I kind of like it so I might not report it 😂

And I’d love to be able to make that idea work @Simmerville I’m going to give some thought on ways I could try and mix all of them!