Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does what SimGuruDrake Said a Few Years Ago about Paywalls Patreon Still Stand?

So I'm not going to to get into my thoughts on this, I'm just very curious. I still see people make Patreon's only content, and this was said a couple years ago so I'm curious if something had changed. Also, if that's the case, what made things change? Please know that I just want an answer to this and don't want people acting like their political veiw or religion was offended. While looking around, I've noticed that this type of discussion seems to make people act like that.
What said and the link to where it was said:

"Good morning folks! So I've been alerted to this thread by the mods and wanted to provide some insight here on two points of discussion: CC/Mods locked behind a paywall and Patreon.
CC/Mods Locked Behind Paywalls - Creators cannot lock content they make using our game behind a paywall. While we do not police this content (there is no way we would create a team simply to monitor this) we do take reports sent to us seriously and action accordingly.
Patreon - We understand that folks who make CC / Mods for others to enjoy are doing it in their free time and may desire to offset costs to create the content by using this service. As long as the content is still made available FOR FREE we do not mind these types of pages. Folks who have a Patreon page are welcome to provide folks with "early access" incentives for their content but it should be made available to the general public within 2-3 weeks of it being given to folks early.

I hope that this provides you with some clarity and please reach out should you have any questions."

Found on this page:
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930045/ea-its-time-you-start-doing-something-about-the-entitled-cc-creators-in-the-sims-community/p3

My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/

Comments

• shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 252 Member
    Has there been any change in that posting at all, saying otherwise?
    IF not, why would you even ask the question?
  • peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    Because it's possible I've not been able to find it and it's sill pretty common for people to do this.

• puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    edited June 2020
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Because many creators still ignore it.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2020
    I would say yes, when you buy the sims4 you agree that EA/Maxis owns everything in it. Which means that if you make mods and cc for it, then you cannot sell that to other people because you are selling something that EA/Maxis owns.

Modding is a grey area of what is allowed and not allowed... and it is often best to not ask too much from the developers. If they would have to enforce what is legal then they would have to not allow modding at all because otherwise people would modify and sell their game.

Putting mods behind a paywall is very close to redistributing and selling something that they own so I understand why they don't want people to do that.

So basically, they don't want people to earn too much money because then they risk EA picking it up and doing something about it.
  • HyalophoraHyalophora Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2020
    It just seems like a situation where we can live and let live, or be pedantic. If it isn't worth it for them to police the content, but they'll go out of their way to address reports when people feel it necessary to make them, it doesn't seem worth feeling strongly about. It's artists and creators being compensated for their time, effort, and creativity, in a way that doesn't detract from anyone's experience or game or anything that EA is selling. It's purely additional, and a lot of labor goes into the work.

It just seems very "property over people" for it to be worth the labor to report artists for supporting themselves just because a corporation put in a lax term that they don't independently enforce and simply reserve as a right to invoke. We get mad at EA when they don't give us what we want, but we seem to target individual creators trying to make a living as the source of where that free content that we feel deprived of should come from. If the difference is someone not making content at all, or being paid for it, I'd much prefer they continue to make content, even if I'm not one of their patrons.

Edit: Changed general "you" to "we" so it reads as less personal.
    Post edited by Hyalophora on
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    edited June 2020
    My only concern about hanging around on Patreon is I'll never find those mods :P I just check mod hubs.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2020
    Nothing has changed but paetron has never bothered me. I voluntarily support cc creators I enjoy. Mainly the ones I love their personality and creativity. And I know how much time and effort goes into it. Many long nights of stress for some people.

But what I love about it is that you don't HAVE to participate in any of it.
    Cc and mods are completely optional and I have never felt I needed anything so badly that I needed to pay for it, or get totally bent out of shape because someone doesn't want to release a virtual dress to me for free.

I totally don't agree with hiding stuff that's originally made by another company behind a paywall but I don't condemn it either. Nothing in this sims community is forced. When I see something permanently locked behind a paywall I keep it moving and go find something similar for free if I want to.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    @Hyalophora @Babykittyjade and @logion Thank you for your polite and insightful responses. I know people sometimes get upset about this topic for some reason, but statements can be hard and I genuinely curious.
    @Wintermist_SWE What are mod hubs?

• Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    peach1red wrote: »
    @Wintermist_SWE What are mod hubs?

Sites with mods basically, like:
    https://www.nexusmods.com/thesims4
    https://modthesims.info/browse/ts4/

And so on...
    You're Breathtaking!
    @Wintermist_SWE O_O I love ModtheSims but had never hear of Nexusmods before. I'll definitely look into it, thank you for the link.

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2020
    Don't think anything has changed, but I think it's the enforcing part that comes into play. I know they've definitely shut people down when they rip cas and build mode meshes from packs for people to download making it base game compatible.

Personally there are websites that still leak early patreon stuff or patreon stuff people aren't releasing and having it categorize, so one doesn't have to be subscribed to it. Honestly the patreons that don't release their stuff at all are usually of pretty low quality, yet there are people that will still pay out money for broken meshes and bad textures for hair and clothing because it's something unique, afro texture or otherwise. But hey you know what they say about a fool and his money. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only thing that irks me is people that steal meshes from second life and such get people to pay for them. That's pretty much stealing and some fairly well known to popular content creators have done it and still do it. Probably worse when the people paying for them are the biggest instigators when they keep giving them money.

Worse pet peeve is the choice between supporitng them on patreon or clicking the link for ad-fly to support them because the latter is very obviously freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee with no kind of consequences.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah it is any paywall. It can be found in EA terms of service here:
    https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section5

https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section3

So with playing any EA game, you agree to these terms of service when making an account.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    @LadyKyn There have been multiple times I've had to back out and click the link again because Norton didn't like the ad. I'm actually a kind of scared of it... And yet, if I really want something I'll still click it -_-'. I had aways been 100% sure about about uploading a mesh from another pack. Pretty sure even if it's not asking for money that is 100% a nope!

• DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Because it's possible I've not been able to find it and it's sill pretty common for people to do this.
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Because many creators still ignore it.

Report them.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I guess it's just as they said - they don't police it, and I feel like a lot of modders don't even know about this rule.
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Simply put, report their Patreon pages if they do not adhere to this part.

"As long as the content is still made available FOR FREE we do not mind these types of pages. Folks who have a Patreon page are welcome to provide folks with "early access" incentives for their content but it should be made available to the general public within 2-3 weeks of it being given to folks early."

It does work, Patreon is quite strict with it, too.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    @LadyKyn There have been multiple times I've had to back out and click the link again because Norton didn't like the ad. I'm actually a kind of scared of it... And yet, if I really want something I'll still click it -_-'. I had aways been 100% sure about about uploading a mesh from another pack. Pretty sure even if it's not asking for money that is 100% a nope!

Me personally I just dont risk it. I like the sims, but I like my computer even more. And clicking some shady link is not worth the risk. Its why I always hover over a CC link before I download it. If the link makes no sense to me, Im noping the heck out. Dont care how good the CC is, dont care that its exactly what Im looking for, Im going elsewhere and forgetting I ever saw it. And I dont have any shame in saying that people who put their CC behind adfly sites are just trash. Im not downloading jack from some weird site and get malware just so the creator can make a couple cents from it. There's other ways to get people to support your content. Ad-fly shouldnt be one of them.
    edited June 2020

Personally, it's not worth the effort because I feel any creators that have done this or still doing it is a pretty scummy thing to do all for the sake of getting that half a cent if not less click and tries to maximize this with more re-directs through short.se links. It's honestly not even worth it for them to have adfly, yet they do it anyway. Best to check some forums and websites as there is some that have a big category of CC from patreon to stuff that was behind adfly links put into a megaupload. Or if you're really wanting said item best to honestly just protect yourself. I've had various items like ad-block, universal bypass and tapermonkey to immediately skip all that nonsense and they don't count towards a click, but nowadays I'm just 'meh don't want it'.

Why I find TSR the worse with all their intrusive ads everywhere and punish you if you have ad-block. (Of course you can use tapermonkey to pretend to you have a freemium account to download without ads in site with one click).

Anyhoot, seems like the majority of creators like that are careless and just don't care if any harm comes to your computer as they just care for the all mighty $$$. I do support creators on patreon I feel have good quality stuff and actually put care into their CC everyone else can go suck a lemon getting by on others. Wouldn't believe the amount of broken meshes and items behind ad-fly links and even patreon links, my favorite when the correct morphs aren't the meshes.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    @LadyKyn Looked into the TSR Freemium thing because I looked for it before and couldn't find it, but it apparently stopped working.

I mostly skip over Patreon downloads myself. Don't care all that much.
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @LadyKyn Looked into the TSR Freemium thing because I looked for it before and couldn't find it, but it apparently stopped working.

I mostly skip over Patreon downloads myself. Don't care all that much.

Ha--again? Think I used it like two months or so ago didn't realize it had stopped working. Unless it's like certain featured artist on that website anyone outside of that is usually pumping out low quality textured CC unfortunately.
    5vJrxmT.png
    @InuMiroLover Funny enough, I actually noticed and have been doing just this week. It's very useful.

@LadyKyn I've always wondered if TSR has them on a technicality or something. Don't ads kind of count as a paywall to in extent? Hmm... That one actually has me confused.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2020
    LadyKyn wrote: »

Personally, it's not worth the effort because I feel any creators that have done this or still doing it is a pretty scummy thing to do all for the sake of getting that half a cent if not less click and tries to maximize this with more re-directs through short.se links. It's honestly not even worth it for them to have adfly, yet they do it anyway. Best to check some forums and websites as there is some that have a big category of CC from patreon to stuff that was behind adfly links put into a megaupload. Or if you're really wanting said item best to honestly just protect yourself. I've had various items like ad-block, universal bypass and tapermonkey to immediately skip all that nonsense and they don't count towards a click, but nowadays I'm just 'meh don't want it'.

Why I find TSR the worse with all their intrusive ads everywhere and punish you if you have ad-block. (Of course you can use tapermonkey to pretend to you have a freemium account to download without ads in site with one click).

Anyhoot, seems like the majority of creators like that are careless and just don't care if any harm comes to your computer as they just care for the all mighty $$$. I do support creators on patreon I feel have good quality stuff and actually put care into their CC everyone else can go suck a lemon getting by on others. Wouldn't believe the amount of broken meshes and items behind ad-fly links and even patreon links, my favorite when the correct morphs aren't the meshes.
    Why I don't like SimVIP too. They break the TOS with their intrusive ads while advertising modders and CC artists. It is scummy overriding adblockers with their ad videos. But yes if modders or CC artist requires adfly don't use it and report it. Any site that adds malware and viruses by forcing ads to use isn't worth harming your computer. I had to stop using TSR too because of how they handle ads behind a paywall.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »
    Why I don't like SimVIP too. They break the TOS with their intrusive ads while advertising modders and CC artists. It is scummy overriding adblockers with their ad videos. But yes if modders or CC artist requires adfly don't use it and report it. Any site that adds malware and viruses by forcing ads to use isn't worth harming your computer. I had to stop using TSR too because of how they handle ads behind a paywall.

SimsVIP is rubbish. The website and the people in the comments that are just bullies as well as 🐸🐸🐸🐸 being started. Haven't been on that website in a few years because of all of that bleh.

Yeah, literally your website with ads is just ugh..yeah I understand getting ad-revenue to pay for things like the website monthly, but when they're intrusive, playing sounds and covering most of the page? No thanks.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    @InuMiroLover Funny enough, I actually noticed and have been doing just this week. It's very useful.

@LadyKyn I've always wondered if TSR has them on a technicality or something. Don't ads kind of count as a paywall to in extent? Hmm... That one actually has me confused.

Ads aren't a paywall. They don't require you to pay money to access the content.
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    I have found that TSR really does not like Firefox. Even whitelisted it still thinks you are ad blocking. Microsoft Edge however works fine with TSR and that's about all I ever use Edge for.