Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If You're Experiencing a Broken Save

Comments

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    I've got a number of saves and I'm 50/50 on them either working fine or crashing. Fortunately I backed up the whole folder before trying to open any of them.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited June 2020
    Aine wrote: »
    You need to remember to backup your saves, people! This situation is exactly why you do it, so that if it gets corrupted you still have it.

While this is good idea and one people should do, people have reported that they made a back up, then when the save crashed replaced it with the back up - only for the back up to also crash.

I'm still waiting on certain mods, so I've only tried two saves - one crashed (the one I never open except while playing without mods) and one didn't (a rags to riches that felt aimless so I stopped playing.)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I was able to play after taking out mods but I left all of my cc no problem.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    Sadly my saves were broken. But I will just put them aside, I was honestly planning on starting a new game anyways.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Everyone saying "this is why you backup": yes! I backed up! The back up won't play either. Backing up or not would not have helped or saved you from this "bug".

I'm not sure what is causing some saves to crash the game and not others but you press play and the game closes, that's what I know. I know repairing the game doesn't work. I know putting in my backups don't work. I know taking out my sims 4 folder and replacing the saves doesn't work. It's happening on consoles, mac and pc. Can a console even back up? Not helpful. Seems like we are waiting on a hotfix.

I did start a new save to test it and it's fine. I can exit, quit, save and re-load and it's fine but anything before the patch closes the game and origin.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I really hope they can hotfix this before the pack comes out. People will be getting it in only a few hours! I’ve updated my game but haven’t checked to see if any of my saves work. I think I’ll probably just wait until a hotfix is out if I’m honest before I even attempt to get into my saves...
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    I really hope they can hotfix this before the pack comes out. People will be getting it in only a few hours! I’ve updated my game but haven’t checked to see if any of my saves work. I think I’ll probably just wait until a hotfix is out if I’m honest before I even attempt to get into my saves...

I hope so too! I, for one, WON'T be getting it in a few hours if they don't hotfix it before then. I got my saves ready to play EL, specifically. If I'd wanted to start a new game I wouldn't have spent the last 2 weeks preparing these saves with builds and families. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's done this either, has this issue and feels this way. :/
  • LauraRLauraR Posts: 60 Member
    HELP?!

How can I play without running the update until there is a patch for the stupid patch? It won't let me open the game without updating and I actually have time to play.

Open origin. Cancel the update that starts. Go into settings and disable automatic updating. Unplug your internet. Start the game.

You'll have to unplug the internet before starting the game every time otherwise it tries to update.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    I haven't touched any of my active saves, because the one I'd been playing is bound up with Basemental. I don't want my gang leader / master dealer's progress reset because the mod suddenly isn't there. :D
  • WykkydWykkyd Posts: 12 New Member
    My "testingcheats" command is not working. When I try to enable it, it tosses back "Unable to execute command" error. The "bb.moveobjects" works.

Anyone else have an issue with that after the patch?

Thanks in advance!
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Everyone saying "this is why you backup": yes! I backed up! The back up won't play either. Backing up or not would not have helped or saved you from this "bug".
    I definitely helps in that you won't lose your save forever - ofcourse the devs still have to release a patch for it.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Wykkyd wrote: »
    My "testingcheats" command is not working. When I try to enable it, it tosses back "Unable to execute command" error. The "bb.moveobjects" works.

Anyone else have an issue with that after the patch?

Thanks in advance!

The cheats console, including enabling testing cheats, is working in a new save I created yesterday. Haven't opened an old save to test it for fear of game crashing.
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    While this is good idea and one people should do, people have reported that they made a back up, then when the save crashed replaced it with the back up - only for the back up to also crash.
    That's not why it's recommended to make backups, though. It's in case your save file gets corrupted by a patch.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • WykkydWykkyd Posts: 12 New Member
    > @loubyloulou said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > The cheats console, including enabling testing cheats, is working in a new save I created yesterday. Haven't opened an old save to test it for fear of game crashing.

I dont know what was going on with my game, but I shut it down, rebooted computer and opened it back up and it was fine. I'm going to guess it was a gremlin. :smile:
    I definitely helps in that you won't lose your save forever - ofcourse the devs still have to release a patch for it.

Ah yes! Well you are right about that. I was just speaking specifically to this issue.

I'm not deleting ANYTHING at the minute, current saves or backups because with the amounts of people I'm seeing all over with this, there's no way they're not gonna fix this. I'm just hoping it doesn't take too long. It's only been 24 hours and I'm already missing a couple of particular simmies. :D
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Got multiple saves. Some work (including ones made ages ago), at least one crashes. Can't seem to work out any pattern, and I already excluded mods by trying to load them with mods and CC off. It's very odd!

Everything is backed up, but it is strange.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited June 2020
    I have 8 saves, 6 have had cc/mods prior to the patch and all work fine. My SimsieSave which has never had mods/cc is fine. But my build save, which has never had mods/cc won’t open 🙁. It has builds in various stages of completion along with the Maxis default builds that shipped with each world.

I reset my Sims folder before the patch and only replaced my saves, tray, and options folders after the patch, and repaired my game. I just really hope they can fix it because I have several builds I was working on that I don’t want to lose.
  • sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member

I'm not sure what is causing some saves to crash the game and not others but you press play and the game closes, that's what I know. I know repairing the game doesn't work. I know putting in my backups don't work. I know taking out my sims 4 folder and replacing the saves doesn't work. It's happening on consoles, mac and pc. Can a console even back up? Not helpful. Seems like we are waiting on a hotfix.

I did start a new save to test it and it's fine. I can exit, quit, save and re-load and it's fine but anything before the patch closes the game and origin.
    You need to remember to backup your saves, people! This situation is exactly why you do it, so that if it gets corrupted you still have it.

I'm still waiting on certain mods, so I've only tried two saves - one crashed (the one I never open except while playing without mods) and one didn't (a rags to riches that felt aimless so I stopped playing.)

The point of backing up is not to have a save to play with right now. It's to have an untouched file just in case it gets corrupted when you try to load it. Backing up a file doesn't change it, so why would you expect it to be magically fixed?
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    This might sound weird, but have people tried restarting your computers?

Also, I had an issue that was slightly different. I updated the patch and couldn't load my game at all. I had recently updated Windows 10, and had to go into Defender to make an exception for Sims 4 and Origin so that Windows Defender wouldn't block them.

Also, I found that my Nvidia graphics card had a driver update waiting so I downloaded that.

Finally, I cleared the Origin cache files but then just reinstalled Origin just in case it was corrupted.

My game worked after doing all that. I'm suspecting the main culprit was possibly Windows Defender, but it could have been the strange combination of issues that all happened at once.

But, again, my issue was slightly different. I couldn't load my game at all, I would get a pop up starting error for Sims 4. But I thought I'd post my troubleshooting in case it helps anyone.
    #Team Occult
    sennawales wrote: »

The point of backing up is not to have a save to play with right now. It's to have an untouched file just in case it gets corrupted when you try to load it. Backing up a file doesn't change it, so why would you expect it to be magically fixed?

You don't know unless you try though. *shrugs* My saves could have been corrupted by the patch. (They weren't, it's obvious now). No harm in trying the backup. However, my gripe was to all the people responding to the people who were reporting crashes "should have backed it up". Well. Assuming the patch corrupted the saves was pretty logical, but I've been trying to get the point across that this isn't what happened. Not this time, therefor "should have backed it up" is a most unhelpful statement and in this particular case would have not made a lick of difference.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    You don't know unless you try though. *shrugs* My saves could have been corrupted by the patch. (They weren't, it's obvious now). No harm in trying the backup. However, my gripe was to all the people responding to the people who were reporting crashes "should have backed it up". Well. Assuming the patch corrupted the saves was pretty logical, but I've been trying to get the point across that this isn't what happened. Not this time, therefor "should have backed it up" is a most unhelpful statement and in this particular case would have not made a lick of difference.
    Yes, I backed up my saves, then loaded the save I wanted to play, I didn't make a new one. Fortunately I've had no issues so far.

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • KolikokolitkaKolikokolitka Posts: 178 Member
    Man... I wanted to buy Eco Lifestyle tomorrow but my main save does not work.
    EA ID: Simkiim (you can find all my Maxis-only builds on Gallery)
    My build previews on this site HERE.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    Sounds like the patch broke everyone's saves. I won't be updating for a while, sheesh. My save has a legacy and storyline going on.

No, not everybody's. I patched my game very late in the day, yesterday. I didn't wish to experience the let-down, if they had to postpone again. I didn't play it for long and I realized I opened a save (I tend to do the Save As option just in case) that put my family back on an empty lot! I was able to download their home from My Library just fine, and got them moved back into their home. No crashing. No detectable problems, in fact. But, that's my game. Obviously there are enough people experiencing this problem to gain the attention of EA.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Dang sorry to all simmers, hang in there an emergency patch will come!

After reading this thread, I’ll just wait, even with backups, I hear glitches are insane this time around 😟
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    sennawales wrote: »

As @Camkat said, the installation of the patch might have been what corrupted the save. It happens. I've seen it happen more than once (not with Sims but with other programs.)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top