Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Script mods - updates

Okay so I'm really new to script mods and such (I do have a ton of CC though) and I'm pretty much a technophobe so yeah...

I'm currently downloading MCCC for my game and I've heard that with each update script mods stop working or something like that, until the mod itself is updated?

So do I have to redownload the new version each time or what am I supposed to do?
I've read through the FAQ, but I'm not entirely sure what they mean?

English is not my first language, but from what I can gather, it updates automatically and I don't have to delete the mod or am I wrong?

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    Some mods will need an update each time the game itself is updated. Some mods won’t.

You will need to individually find each mod you download again and redownload it if you notice that it’s not functioning as it was before or if you’re aware that it has been updated.

MCCC is one of the mods that almost certainly requires an update with each game update.

From my experience, sometimes small mods can cause issues you may not expect if they are not updated. For example, maybe the UI is missing buttons in game or maybe you can’t do certain interactions. Some websites also have little charts made each time the game is updated to let you know which popular mods have gotten updates or need to be updated so it’ll be easier to keep track. It can feel overwhelming if you have a lot of mods.
  • rottmeisterrottmeister Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2020
    @Chazzzy
    I only have MCCC currently and don't plan on getting more.

So when an update hits, do I delete MCCC and replace it with the new versions or do I just add them on top of the old versions?

Edit: sorry if this sounds stupid.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2020
    Take the old one out and save the new one in the mods folder. In the documents/ea/sims4 folder you'll find a config file. Don't delete it if you want to keep all the settings you've changed in mccc before the update.

EtA i'm not an expert on this. I may be wrong. This is what i think i understood from the search i've made myself when i was starting with mccc.
  • rubytinkerrubytinker Posts: 48 Member
    I had no idea you needed to do this. I'm so clueless. I only have a few mods, but I thought one of them just glitched out somehow and gave up on it. Now I know better. Thanks :)
    telmarina wrote: »
    Take the old one out and save the new one in the mods folder. In the documents/ea/sims4 folder you'll find a config file. Don't delete it if you want to keep all the settings you've changed in mccc before the update.

EtA i'm not an expert on this. I may be wrong. This is what i think i understood from the search i've made myself when i was starting with mccc.

So only delete it in the mods file, download the new versions and I should be good?

Okay!
    Thanks guys!
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

So only delete it in the mods file, download the new versions and I should be good?

Okay!

Yes :)
    The mod is already paying off!

One of my legacy sims I'm not playing with, started a family on her own!

I'm so happy!!!!!!
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member

Okay!

Yes, but a reminder not to delete the config files (that's any file ending in the file extension .cfg) or you'll have to redo all of your settings, which is a pain in the neck in MCCC as there are so many of them!
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Do not forget to delete the localthumbcache.package file in the main TS4 folder. This needs to be done anytime you do anything to your mod folder to ensure all of the old mod is deleted. Not doing this can cause errors.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    @Chazzzy

So when an update hits, do I delete MCCC and replace it with the new versions or do I just add them on top of the old versions?

The latest version of MCCC is out. It's the hotfix 7.2.0 Good luck!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Thank you so much!

I have yet to delete the files bc I haven't played the game this week.

But I'll put it on my to do list.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited June 2020
    @Chazzzy

Sorry to be a pedant (occupational hazard - editor) but it's important folk have the very latest version of the mod - so the latest version of the MCCC hotfix is version 7.2.2 :)
    edited June 2020
    I made sure to not delete the config files, but had to redo everything anyway :/

Edit: deleted the localthumbcache bc I forgot and I got an error message

Edit 2: I understand my previous mistake.
    I've been getting a lot of last exception messages so I cleared the localthumbc1che and reinstalled the newest version of the mod.

Hopefully that fixed it
    Post edited by rottmeister on