Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Firefighters 🔥🔥

124...Next

Comments

• tweedletweedle Posts: 89 Member
    edited May 2020
    @kwanzaabot But no one was thanking the "money men". I assume the person you were responding to was expressing gratitude towards the people who actually work on the game rather than the higher-ups that make the greedy decisions.

I have seen a lot of people have an immediate negative reaction whenever someone expresses any type of positive feedback for the people developing The Sims games and it makes me think that too many people in the community believe that the developers have absolute control on what goes on with their game. You may not have meant to come off that way, sorry for the misunderstanding
    Post edited by tweedle on
    Ding-dong! Your baby is gone!

-Social Worker, probably
    edited May 2020
    @DesertSimmer1971 No, it's being patched into the base game. The base games is getting a LOT of good updates, such as an overhaul to the inventory system. I'm more excited for the patch than the EP!

-Social Worker, probably
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Yes for cops and burglars as well. Please include the vehicles for cops and firefighters..
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I just saw some footage of the firefighters in a game changer video and I have to say they seem a bit useless. It took them two attempts to put out a small fire and they just looked kinda confused like they didn't know whether to fight the fire or panic about it. Also they just teleport outside your house which is another thing I don't like. No fire truck, seems lame.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I just saw some footage of the firefighters in a game changer video and I have to say they seem a bit useless. It took them two attempts to put out a small fire and they just looked kinda confused like they didn't know whether to fight the fire or panic about it. Also they just teleport outside your house which is another thing I don't like. No fire truck, seems lame.

There are no cars in TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I was thinking about this. Even if there are no cars atm, couldn't they have created a firetruck that fades in off the lot with lights flashing and sirens blaring? It'd be great to have the effect. Then the firefighters can pull out their hoses and do their thing. Personally, I would have preferred this to just seeing firefighters fade in and walk/run to the fire and pull out the same fire extinguisher our own sims would use to put out the fire.

That said, I'm happy they are coming back and suspect, since they are coming with the free patch, they were implemented more as an aside and in response to us simmers who wanted them. In that way, I am thankful to have them back. It does, however, leave me hoping that TS5 is built with a solid base game at release so much of the game ships as "finished," leaving all the future DLCs/packs to truly go where no sim has gone before.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2020

Well yeah I know that. But you would think for an NPC as important as this they could of at least added the appearance of a fire truck outside the sims homes when a fireman is present on the lot. It doesn't have to be interactable. It's more of an immersion thing really. The fireman appearing out of nowhere honestly just looks terrible and it's quite immersion breaking in my opinion.

I am still happy to see that NPC's such as this are returning though.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Well yeah I know that. But you would think for an NPC as important as this they could of at least added the appearance of a fire truck outside the sims homes when a fireman is present on the lot. It doesn't have to be interactable. It's more of an immersion thing really. The fireman appearing out of nowhere honestly just looks terrible and it's quite immersion breaking in my opinion.

I am still happy to see that NPC's such as this are returning though.
    Yeah NPC vehicles need to return too and carpools and school buses and taxis/ubers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    tweedle wrote: »
    @DesertSimmer1971 No, it's being patched into the base game. The base games is getting a LOT of good updates, such as an overhaul to the inventory system. I'm more excited for the patch than the EP!
    The Firefighters are being patched in.
    The RepoMan was a feature of Discovery University to "Collect Student Loan Debt".

Question: How do you patch in for free a "Feature", that was part of a paid DLC? All they did was "Add" the function that now the Repo man from University will now collect bills because they made a change to the billing system that only works with the new pack. Or Maybe they are just now giving the RepoMan free to everyone?
    edited May 2020
    @DesertSimmer1971 In your original comment, you said the Repoman from DU was being shipped with the new pack meaning that simmers would be paying for a feature, twice. This isn't correct because the Repoman is NOT getting added to the game via Eco Living; it's going to be patched into the base game in a future update. The new billing system is also not exclusive to the upcoming DLC so, yes, it can work without the pack.

And to answer your question: The Sims Team have taken small features and items from DLCs and made them available for free in the base game before. Whether this is good or bad varies among simmers. In this case, I would say it's good because Repomen have always been in the base game in previous iterations of The Sims; it doesn't make sense to make them exclusive to one pack and one scenario (not being able to pay off student loans).

-Social Worker, probably
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    I was thinking about this. Even if there are no cars atm, couldn't they have created a firetruck that fades in off the lot with lights flashing and sirens blaring? It'd be great to have the effect. Then the firefighters can pull out their hoses and do their thing. Personally, I would have preferred this to just seeing firefighters fade in and walk/run to the fire and pull out the same fire extinguisher our own sims would use to put out the fire.

Since not all neighborhoods have roads I think a fire helicopter would make more sense. It could appear hovering just outside your lot, the firemen would grapple down and attempt to put out the fire.
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    SAEldarin wrote: »

Since not all neighborhoods have roads I think a fire helicopter would make more sense. It could appear hovering just outside your lot, the firemen would grapple down and attempt to put out the fire.

Indeed! How about both? :D

Omg I was going to make post tomorrow suggesting this! I think they should implement this along with cops if they ever add them in.

-Social Worker, probably
  • MeliroseMelirose Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm glad we're getting firefighters but I hope they're not automatic and annoying like the ceiling sprinklers that are impossible to get rid of. Maybe it could be in the settings? Sometimes I want to cause a fire for storytelling and it's really frustrating when it gets put out in seconds. This game needs the drama and danger of the previous games.
    Melirose wrote: »
    I'm glad we're getting firefighters but I hope they're not automatic and annoying like the ceiling sprinklers that are impossible to get rid of. Maybe it could be in the settings? Sometimes I want to cause a fire for storytelling and it's really frustrating when it gets put out in seconds. This game needs the drama and danger of the previous games.

I think they only come automatically if you have a fire alarm. If they do come when you don't want them to, you can use testingcheats to delete them off your lot. That's what I used to do in TS3

-Social Worker, probably
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Don't. Don't thank them for something that is a core gameplay feature. A core gameplay feature that's been missing for 6 years.

It's nice to have, but this is something they should've included on day one, or at least in the first year, after they brought back pools and ghosts.

Thanking them tells EA that this is okay, and that if they do it again in TS5, the community will lap it up.

Not being grateful for these features would indicate to the devs that we don't care about these features, thus possibly causing them to not add in more of these features since it doesn't seem (to them) worth the hard work.

I am super excited about all these wonderful updates. It honestly feels like I just got a new DLC for free. It, paired with the survey about improving the sims themselves, gives me hope that we might actually have a full core by the end of the run. Of course it is bad that we haven't had a full core from the start, but I think the greatness of TS4 will hit us like a truck once the core is put to its full potential. Think about all the detail that has been put into other aspects of the game. What now seem like "unnecessary" features could blow us away down the line when all of them align.

The billing system is funny to me in how it makes me stress when I look at it, and that's exactly why I love it. Adding things that make the game more difficult/stress-inducing and that actually impacts the game is exactly what we need. I also wonder how the shutting off of utilities and the repo man will work together now. Maybe shut off for 2-3 days and then the repo man comes?
    Firefighters are awesome to me bc of the nostalgia. I hope they add in newspapers and/or magazines as a throwback as well. And, of course, burglars and cops. I hope that they will have added functionality with GTW and that sims can actually go to rabbit hole jail again with the BG, or at the police station with GTW.

I was actually suspicious that they didn't move the camera at all when the firefighters arrived and departed. Made me wonder whether they're hiding a vehicle. Since we already have bikes, it would be easy for them to create motorcycles since they function in a similar way. From there, cars. I think cars are in development, and that we might get them by the end of the year.

Finally, free window/door placement :weary::heart: I have been so frustrated so many times bc of off-center placements of doors and windows not being the perfect number of tiles for a wall. This will make building so much better.

the billing thing means that now I might actually set lights on and off per room, instead of having them work automatic as they do now for easiness' sake, since it actually makes a difference in the bills whether the lights are on or not.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    About time we got those firefighters. When I think of all that time I've watched a barbecue fire slowly going all around my lot perimeter fence with those townies taking no notice and being helplessly stuck in the moment!

Maxis at last, has come to the aid of us UK builders who like a secure fence built around our houses. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Day of Patch/Pack Release - Simmers deck their homes out in flammable materials and set their sims' homes on fire :naughty:

Yes! I was just talking to my cousin yesterday about how custom content makers can go crazy with flammability on walls and floors and make their custom stuff VERY flammable to see how fast a house can burn down!
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I am really excited about the return of firefighters and I think their costume (with its additional fire-resistant properties) looks good. In addition to firefighters and the Repo man, who are being brought back for everyone in the latest patch, I read that there will now also be an NPC garbageman who is coming with Eco Lifestyle exclusively, and who will appear on lots with the Reduce and Recycle Lot Trait (mentioned by one of the gurus on Twitter). Has anyone seen any footage of this NPC or learned any more details about how he works?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,288 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Dude those firefighters I almost cried like legit y'all don't understand how much I miss those little moments in the game. Or maybe y'all do understand y'all are simmers too after all.

I almost cried over the ability to move the doors and windows as was demonstrated in a video by a gal who does reviews. My bad, I didn't catch her name. But a return of Repoman and the Firefighters are also tears-worthy. I only caught the last few minutes of the livestream but almost fell off my desk chair when I saw them rush in to put out the fire. They have been sorely missed. I'm so glad we get these things in the patch. I'm not purchasing this EP.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    And with this I have lost all interest in firefigthers I dont want them to poof on and off the lot would rather not have them thats not the game play I want to see. I was hoping that they would actually put in some real effort and were zoomed up in the stream to possibly hide the fire truck why do I have any hope in them at all at this point.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    I am glad they are finally back. They were really missing. It would have been nice if they could arrive in firetrucks but in a game with no drivable cars, no carpools and no schoolbus I am not surprised. I am happy with the things we do get.

I would have liked it if the return of firemen in combination with fire alarms would finally allow us to place stoves in dorms. Now that we have npc's to put out fire, it should be possible.
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2020
    "I hope you‘ll enjoy a Sims 5 base game with no children, elders, multistory houses, parks, genetics, pre-made sims and are ok with waiting six years for mobile phones to be added."

No children sounds good to me. I generally don't age my sims. I don't like playing multistory properties as they feel cumbersome and it takes the sim too long to get anywhere. Parks are easy enough to create for myself. I don't use genetics and rarely use pre-made sims.

Sorry - I think your idea that I would be offended at your suggestions kind of backfired.

Here is a cookie....

(Just one additional note: I have purchased every pack for The Sims 2, Sims 3 and Sims 4. I have purchased all of the store content EA released through the Sims 2 and Sims 3 stores. I have spent a huge amount on these games and I can tell you with complete honesty that EA doesn't owe me one thing when it comes to the Sims 5 - if they ever release it. I will treat it as a stand alone title with no expectations going in and accept it for what it is.)

Post edited by RebeccaThurston on