Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you organize your CC?

A while back i started to organize my CC by category (its easier that way to detect probem CC), but its soooo tedious

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I used to organize by the name of the modder but now I organize by item type.

I’m fairly satisfied with CAS in this game, so I don’t have much. It’s mostly items for men and hairs. I deleted a ton sometime last year and never added anymore.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Mods all have their own folders and are sorted alphabetically, which works since I don't have tons of mods. For CC, the creators I download a lot from have their own folders that I label like _CreatorName. For other CC I have folders with a general name like "Build/Buy" and then a subfolder for the category.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • BluehairedwonderBluehairedwonder Posts: 1 New Member
    I also organize the cc by type off content like one folder for skin details, clothes and shoes. Script mods I don’t do over organization because script mods should only be one sub folder deep. But I do name folders by modder name if I pay for them through patron
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I put CAS and Build Buy items into separate folders. Within the CAS folder, they are again separated into clothing, hair, accessories, child, toddler etc.

If I have a lot of items from a particular creator, they are put into a separate folder just for that creator.

I also separate mods into folders by type or creator so that they are easier to find.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I used to organize by type but switched to sorting by the creator and have found this works best for me. My files are named things like "CC-CreatorName" or "MOD-CreatorName." It makes it easier for me to find problem items or look for more from creators whose work I like. It's also really helpful with merged packs that might contain items from a variety of categories and prevents me from having duplicate files.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • l0keyrosel0keyrose Posts: 71 Member
    I don't actually know haha
  • l0keyrosel0keyrose Posts: 71 Member
    > @FurAndYarn said:
    > I used to organize by type but switched to sorting by the creator and have found this works best for me. My files are named things like "CC-CreatorName" or "MOD-CreatorName." It makes it easier for me to find problem items or look for more from creators whose work I like. It's also really helpful with merged packs that might contain items from a variety of categories and prevents me from having duplicate files.

oh ty!!
  • wanderinglizzywanderinglizzy Posts: 46 Member
    I organize by type. I've heard that you can only put cc files one file deep within the Mods folder, so I have separate folders for clothes, hair, build items, buy items etc.
  • bingjie11blbingjie11bl Posts: 3 New Member
    Hey guys I used to organise my mods by categorising them into CAS_Hair, CAS_Clothes, etc...but my game suddenly does not recognise any cc that's only one folder deep-->for example the path would be The Sims 4>Mods>Hair and when I start the game the mod list does not have any of the hair ccs..

Anyone else having this problem? I actually played a while after the latest patch on June 4 and it was fine...when I try to start the game today it just happened.
  • bingjie11blbingjie11bl Posts: 3 New Member
    > @bingjie11bl said:
    > Hey guys I used to organise my mods by categorising them into CAS_Hair, CAS_Clothes, etc...but my game suddenly does not recognise any cc that's only one folder deep-->for example the path would be The Sims 4>Mods>Hair and when I start the game the mod list does not have any of the hair ccs..
    >
    > Anyone else having this problem? I actually played a while after the latest patch on June 4 and it was fine...when I try to start the game today it just happened.

Ok guys problem solved I just generated a new mods folder with a fresh resource file and tested it with a "Hair" folder with 6 hair ccs...THEY ARE ALL RECOGNISED ONE FOLDER DEEP!!
  • DarshDarsh Posts: 7 New Member
    I have a question. when uploading sims to the gallery that have custom content, how do you give proper credit to the creator? With most of my content I cannot tell who created it in game. I don't want to upset anyone! Thanks
  • EmpressEllieEmpressEllie Posts: 38 Member
    I normally organize by making folders and labeling them per category (ex:Hair, Clutter, Tops, etc.) but I also do a lot of character recreations in the sims and I get cc for a specific character so then I label the folder as the name of the character. I don't know if that is helpful to anyone though.
  • EmpressEllieEmpressEllie Posts: 38 Member
    Also I would advise everyone to not merge cc, I know it can save room and keep things clean and simple but it makes things really hard to keep track of and if anythings broken it can possibly break the cc that was merged with it.
  • punkbeespunkbees Posts: 27 Member
    > @Darsh said:
    > I have a question. when uploading sims to the gallery that have custom content, how do you give proper credit to the creator? With most of my content I cannot tell who created it in game. I don't want to upset anyone! Thanks

If I'm ever trying to figure out what something is/who made a specific piece of cc, I just Google the name of the file. It usually pulls up a link to the creator's page. A lot of creators also include their names in the file names!
    gallery id: punkbees || black lives matter
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    I organise by item category if it's CC, and creator name if its mods.
  • renzillarenzilla Posts: 725 Member
    I have “BuildBuy”, “Mods”, “CAS”, and “Overrides” folders, along with MC Command Center having its own folder on that same level for easy updating. Within each of those folders I have categories (e. g. BuildBuy > Surfaces, Comfort, Display, etc.; CAS > Clothes > Male, Female & Unisex).
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    Like this:
    38790769ol.jpg
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    How you do it doesn't matter much as long as you follow the basic rules. .package files can go almost anywhere. .ts4script files can only go 1 folder deep.

The rest is up to you. Do it however works best for you. I would recommend at least some sort of organization to make finding things a lot easier.

Now, that being said, I have my own method. First, it's best to elucidate that while all "cc" are technically "mods", most people refer to "mods" and "cc" as two different things. CC is basically stuff like clothing, hair, furniture, etc. "Mods" are gameplay alterations that change how things work in the world, like new careers, traits, bug fixes, etc.

"Mods" tend to break with game updates. "CC" is very rare to break. So, it's best to keep "Mods" together in one place and keep CC separate as "Mods" are likely to break in updates and "CC" aren't.

Since most CC is very well designed, the majority of CC creators don't have a clue how to properly configure those CC for proper gameplay. It is SEVERELY rare for CC to be properly configured/tagged. I've seen lingerie tagged as "jeans" and Long hair tagged as "short". This is extremely common. And color swatches are NEVER tagged properly. They'll have 15 different colors of a hair and they're all listed as "blonde".

So, whenever I download a new CC item, I always load it into Sims4Studio and tag them properly as they are NEVER tagged properly.

Once all this is done, I copy the new item into a library, Hair, Clothing, Furniture, Decor. Etc. Then, I merge each library into a single package file. (I have a LOT of hairs so hairs now have two. Hair1.package, Hair2.package) And I put those single files into the game. This greatly reduces .package clutter. I have over a thousand CC .package files merged down into 6 files.

The majority of the files in my Mods folder are "mods" as all my CC are contained in 6 .package files.

As for the mods, the bigger ones have their own folders, like WW & MCCC. The important ones (which are the ones most likely to break, like 4 column cas, uicheats) go into a folder called "Core".

Since I have a lot of mods from individual creators like LittleMsSam, Zero, Beichen (sp?) they have their own folders.

I have separate folders for my own mods or mods of a specific type, like "Fallout CC", "Mass Effect CC", etc.

This works best for me. Figure out what works best for you.