Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We were totally trolled by the devs, lol

LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
***(For those who don't "get it", the trolling comment is a joke. Relax, please.)

I think they released minimalist trailers on purpose. :D (Again, just me being silly. Thank you for your concern, though.)

Nice. Even though the theme is still not exciting to me, I'll freely admit that there looks to be a lot more to the pack than I thought. It looks like it's done well for what it is.

More NPCs are making a comeback... extraordinary! More controls and toggles...magnificent! More cross-pack gameplay...superb!

Many great steps forward.

My main gripe, however, remains, and it's more of a base game issue than a pack issue:

Traits and Aspirations are basically extended Whims. It's no wonder the Whims got turned off. I can't stand pack object-specific traits, or any pack specialty traits to begin with. They just aren't traits to me. Sim personalities still remain all the same. I feel like we need a lot more in depth traits that actually affect Sim autonomy and behavior, or else a new kind of personality system. I didn't see anything about individualist reactions and behaviors and I just can't feel that excited for new things when the actual Sim gameplay doesn't improve because I can already predict how it will play out.

The build/buy is okay, there's some good trashy clutter and gross furniture.

The CAS clothes are meh, I would have liked some actual torn and dirty clothing that looks like someone's been living out of a dumpster and hasn't showered in a month. But I saw a lot of great female hairs. Still, would like more uneven or messy or frizzy hairs that look like they were cut at home or not well cared for.

Also...a bazillion new ways to go get water? I might actually forego getting the pack just because of that alone. If there's one behavior that I absolutely can't stand, it's the excessive Sim need for water. I can say without hesitation that the very last thing I want in my game right now is to be wrestling with my Sims even more because they want to run down to the river, or go to a puddle, or salvage the tears of their enemies (well, okay, that would be kind of fun) just to have yet another glass of water. No.

Anyway, I think people will have fun with Eco Lifestyle. I'm going to wait it out longer to see how things actually turn out in people's games. :)

***TLDR: My personal opinion: To sum up, the pack looks more solid than the trailers depicted. It seems that a lot of thought and depth went into it. That's great for those who want it. I still need more information on the gameplay. Eco stuff was highly requested as a SP or GP theme. The coming of new NPCs is long overdue and welcome. The patch should be great.

I, however, still feel that the theme is redundant and should have been just a Game Pack. Most of the new traits are redundant as well. The Maker and Perfectionist traits seem the same to me and the Eco and Recycle ones should be under the same trait. Freegan is the only one that seems truly new and interesting. Traits and Aspirations just seem like Whims. Sims need personality more than anything for any pack to truly make a difference in gameplay.

(Edited for an attempt at clarity.)
#Team Occult
Post edited by LiELF on

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I agree with @Briana2425 . The trailers never show everything in the pack.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited May 2020
    Totally agree! The trailers were total trolls. Awful, 1/10. Livestream is officially for your consideration. All the awards!

Sims livestreams are sometimes hard to watch. Wasn’t sure what to expect. This one was a huge win. Sorry I didn’t grab the host’s name. Edit: @SimGuruGeorge, total hero. Ya did a fantastic job. All the kudos and claps to you, host everything.

Side note to celebrate other favorites: My man @SimGuruNinja always 10/10 on the livestreams. A+. @SimGuruAzure is royalty, total queen.
    Post edited by popstarsley on
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    How were we trolled by the devs through the trailer? People were bashing it before they knew what was in it that the old saying don't judge a book by its cover so a trailer suppose to show everything that goes on in the game? Just my opinion though.

The purpose of a trailer is to create hype. The EL trailers did the opposite. Chefs don’t make their delicious food look disgusting on purpose, musicians don‘t send their worst song as a demo to a music label on purpose… so why would EA release two lackluster trailers on purpose? It just doesn‘t make sense. They could have done so much better with the available content.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    How were we trolled by the devs through the trailer? People were bashing it before they knew what was in it that the old saying don't judge a book by its cover so a trailer suppose to show everything that goes on in the game? Just my opinion though.

The purpose of a trailer is to create hype. The EL trailers did the opposite. Chefs don’t make their delicious food look disgusting on purpose, musicians don‘t send their worst song as a demo to a music label on purpose… so why would EA release two lackluster trailers on purpose? It just doesn‘t make sense. They could have done so much better with the available content.

I disagree people were upset because they got hyped up over a lie about Country Living thinking that was going to be the expansion pack days before this trailer came out and when it wasn't people took it out on Eco Living not even giving it a chance. What's in the trailer is almost the exact same thing they showed in the live stream. Trash woohoo was in the trailer, candle making was in the trailer, fizzy juice was in the trailer and etc. People like it now because they saw the gameplay and how it actually work and what's in it. Like I said we're suppose to see everything in one trailer?

Or even in two trailer they gave us a second trailer and people still was bashing it.
  • Options

I disagree people were upset because they got hyped up over a lie about Country Living thinking that was going to be the expansion pack days before this trailer came out and when it wasn't people took it out on Eco Living not even giving it a chance. What's in the trailer is almost the exact same thing they showed in the live stream. Trash woohoo was in the trailer, candle making was in the trailer, fizzy juice was in the trailer and etc. People like it now because they saw the gameplay and how it actually work and what's in it. Like I said we're suppose to see everything in one trailer?

Two trailers and seeing that the public opinion changed so drastically after the livestream it‘s evident that the trailers were trash (no pun intended). If we were really just bitter about not getting Farming, wouldn’t we still be bitter? They should take this as a learning opportunity. A large part of the community doesn’t like trailers that only showcase one play style (here: being a goody good environmentalist that is trying to save the planet). A large part of the community does not like youth slang.
  • Options

Two trailers and seeing that the public opinion changed so drastically after the livestream it‘s evident that the trailers were trash (no pun intended). If we were really just bitter about not getting Farming, wouldn’t we still be bitter? They should take this as a learning opportunity. A large part of the community doesn’t like trailers that only showcase one play style (here: being a goody good environmentalist that is trying to save the planet). A large part of the community does not like youth slang.

No the lesson here is don't judge a book by its cover like I said. They put out not one but two trailers the second one showed more in the trailer then the first even to go as far as explaining what it was the voting to the fizzy drinks and etc. Again like I said above a trailer is not going to show all what's in a gameplay in like a minute or two. Heck the live stream was about two hours long showing people what the gameplay was about. Most of the gameplay was in the trailer minus the firefighters and other updates was in the live stream and the gurus explained more about and showed it can do.
  • Options

Also the reason why some people are not bitter is because they saw the live stream today and saw eco livings gameplay and what it brought to the table so yeah they won't be bitter anymore after they see what they are getting. I'm not a big fan of farming myself but I won't go bashing a trailer especially not knowing what's it's full potential is and what it might bring to my game.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I'm not the biggest sim fan in general and even I thought from the first trailer that the pack looked fun. That wasn't trolling imo, just sims players jumping to conclusions.

I haven't watched the livestream so I have no idea what made people change their minds but good I guess ?
  • Options
    happyopi wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest sim fan in general and even I thought from the first trailer that the pack looked fun. That wasn't trolling imo, just sims players jumping to conclusions.

I haven't watched the livestream so I have no idea what made people change their minds but good I guess ?

Yeah it's good and I'm excited for this pack and the content can't wait to play it also I can't wait to finally see firefighters in action in the Sims 4 it's been a long time coming but they are here and I'm ready to set fires lol.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited May 2020
    If they did, it's a pretty odd marketing tactic... The trailer is supposed to give a good first impression and according to a lot of comments and reactions, it didn't deliver for everyone.

People can say 'don't judge by the trailer' all they want but that is exactly what the trailer is for.
  • Options

No the lesson here is don't judge a book by its cover like I said. They put out not one but two trailers the second one showed more in the trailer then the first even to go as far as explaining what it was the voting to the fizzy drinks and etc. Again like I said above a trailer is not going to show all what's in a gameplay in like a minute or two. Heck the live stream was about two hours long showing people what the gameplay was about. Most of the gameplay was in the trailer minus the firefighters and other updates was in the live stream and the gurus explained more about and showed it can do.

Livestreams are a new addition to the Sims. In the past trailers were enough to capture the players‘ interest. This time it wasn‘t. The trailers were bad and have done more harm than good. They need to re-evaluate their marketing tactics. The Sims has millions of fans. It‘s delusional to expect everyone to sit down and watch a 2h livestream. People have school, work, families.
  • Options

A trailer doesn't have to show everything in a pack to be interesting. But it should at least highlight several new and exciting features.

Those two trailers were lame. The first made an already boring theme look boring. The second was like an ad for a "go green" campaign. And they were filled with repetitious animations and cringeworthy "trend slang".

Maybe they just need some new marketers.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    I've never seen so many people judge content based on one 1 min trailer. If you can see all the content by watching one trailer its not a good buy.

That a hundred times.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    I've never seen so many people judge content based on one 1 min trailer. If you can see all the content by watching one trailer its not a good buy.

Yet people do it all the time with movies and TV. If you have only one minute to generate hype, you need to make every second matter. Choose wisely.

In the end, it's not that big of a deal. I'm sure the devs knew the whole time that a lot of people would turn around once they saw how much was actually put into the pack. That's why I said they trolled us. It wasn't meant in a serious way, just a little humorous jab.
    #Team Occult
  • Options

Livestreams are a new addition to the Sims. In the past trailers were enough to capture the players‘ interest. This time it wasn‘t. The trailers were bad and have done more harm than good. They need to re-evaluate their marketing tactics. The Sims has millions of fans. It‘s delusional to expect everyone to sit down and watch a 2h livestream. People have school, work, families.

The Live Stream have been going on for awhile especially introducing new packs and those videos they do have you can watch later if you missed it. Also some people may be at work/school but A lot are not due to this Pandemic still happening this is the first time I caught a Livestream without interruptions and it was was great because usually the livestream don't last two hours.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited May 2020
    I didn't have an issue with the trailer. EA follows the same formula: trailer, game play, developers walk through, insiders release their videos & praise fest. Same formula for years.

I find it funny the things people pick up in the trailers. I had to rewatch it several times to finally see the ladder.

Some folks are annoyed that they announced the interoperability with other packs and the fact that eco is touched on in several packs. Well the occult is in several packs, folks are ok with that. I like & prefer the interoperability.

Folks need to just see TS4 as TS4, stop comparing it to the past, what they think Paralives will be, some other game they play and see it for what it is. At the end of the day you don't have to buy the packs. Complaining ad nauseam isn't healthy.

I finally just said you know what, agnostic, overly sexualized, fire loving people code this game.
    What I want may not be realized in this game, so I buy the packs I like and enjoy and avoid the parts I don't like. For instance, I hope modders create a way to toggle off that free love crap
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    troshalom wrote: »
    I didn't have an issue with the trailer. EA follows the same formula: trailer, game play, developers walk through, insiders release their videos & praise fest. Same formula for years.

I find it funny the things people pick up in the trailers. I had to rewatch it several times to finally see the ladder.

Some folks are annoyed that they announced the interoperability with other packs and the fact that eco is touched on in several packs. Well the occult is in several packs, folks are ok with that. I like & prefer the interoperability.

Folks need to just see TS4 as TS4, stop comparing it to the past, what they think Paralives will be, some other game they play and see it for what it is. At the end of the day you don't have to buy the packs. Complaining ad nauseam isn't healthy.

I finally just said you know what, agnostic, overly sexualized, fire loving people code this game.
    What I want may not be realized in this game, so I buy the packs I like and enjoy and avoid the parts I don't like. For instance, I hope modders create a way to toggle off that free love 🌺🌺🌺🌺

Okay, but comparing it to the past games is completely valid because it's actually the fourth game in a series. If Sims 4 was a stand alone game and had been marketed as such, I don't think we'd have had as many disappointed players and some expectations would have been more neutralized from the beginning.

But I look at TS4 for TS4 and I still see Sims with no personality and an incomplete emotion system. I still see unbalanced gameplay that falls flat too often. I still see annoying behaviors. I still see nonsensical autonomous actions. I still see questionable DLC choices. Yet, (and this might blow your mind a little) I still like and play TS4. So I leave feedback. Because, you know, I have spent a lot of money supporting this game and its development, after all. Sometimes I even see good changes come as a result of that feedback.

And as it happens, I also leave my fair share of positive feedback as well. Does that make me a sycophant? Imagine if all feedback were brushed off as merely "complaining" and "sycophancy". What would be the point of being here, sharing our opinions?
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited May 2020
    These trailers seemed to play up everything that was meh to me, and underplay, or not mention all the stuff I found exciting.
    Eating bugs, :p Not mentioning that bugs can be made into bio-fuels to fuel my generators... wha...
    Now I am thinking, hey, I can have a sim own a junk yard as a business and he can farm bugs and sell bio-fuels too,
    so my other sims don't have to. I hope bio-fuel can be sold.

I decided to just wait for a sale with the first trailer The second had me deciding to just skip it.
    I have never skipped an expansion pack for The Sims. It just felt so underwhelming to me and put me off a bit.
    Usually there is something I can grab hold of in trailers.

And then I watched the live stream and began making lists of things I can do with this pack.
    I believe it was weak presentations by the trailers. And that "game play" trailer was a story based features trailer, not game play.
    Also, it was what they chose to show and how they used them that had me feeling meh.

Seeing the individual objects made a difference for me.
    The homes in the trailers looked like shanties, and they were supposed to be the improved homes.
    And I saw clothes in CAS that I liked much better than what the trailer was showing.

What made me flip-plop on my skip it decision?

1) First seeing the objects that could be made by the makers. They can only be created, not bought in build mode.
    I love that kind of stuff because I can have sims create items to sell in retail stores and my other sims can go shopping to buy them. I knew this, but the scope and detail didn't translate through the trailers.

2) More depth of game play with breakdown of your house bill. The different styles the neighborhood can evolve to.

3) You can customize the community lot. I was under the impression that they spawned like City Living festivals and you got whatever spawned.
    This is a huge deal for me because I love to build.

4) NPCs!
    I happy to see the Eco and Civil NPCs. But no, they went further with the Repoman and Fire fighters.

5) Apartments. Apartments with no noisy neighbors.
    I actually like the game play with neighbors, but 2-3 times a day, everyday, is too much.
    I am glad I have an alternative and another location than San Myshuno for apartments.

6) Build/buy mode.
    I really like the objects, now that I can see them individually and not horribly implemented in those
    shanty homes.

6) Depth.
    There is some depth to game play to this game and it is a true expansion.

I don't think I will even wait for a sale.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

My thoughts exactly. The trailers DID generate hype - I know a lot of people, both in the community and outside it, who were hyped after the first trailer. It depends on how you viewed the trailer and, perhaps, what pre-conceived ideas were already floating around (Country Livin' hoax, for example).

The fact that there is a lot more to the pack than shown in the trailers suggests a well rounded pack.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2020
    MissyHissy wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. The trailers DID generate hype - I know a lot of people, both in the community and outside it, who were hyped after the first trailer. It depends on how you viewed the trailer and, perhaps, what pre-conceived ideas were already floating around (Country Livin' hoax, for example).

The fact that there is a lot more to the pack than shown in the trailers suggests a well rounded pack.

I get that they generated hype for some people, but for the majority the trailers were off-putting. So even if some of you guys liked them, it appears objectively valid to say: they failed to do their job. As a content writer working in marketing, I'd feel really, really, really bad about myself if my content actually made people want our products less instead of more. Trust me, it's extremely rare that developers hype their products better than the people working in marketing.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

Trailers are supposed to be the book cover we judge tho. That’s the like, definition of one.