Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycled Animations in Eco Lifestyle

Comments

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk85rBuosbU

This ^

Even game changers are starting to openly confirm that we get so much less content per pack than we used to and that it's a problem. Especially because they keep telling us that this is the best-selling iteration? And animation processes have actually become far more effective and more versatile? And most other AAA titles are out there pushing the boundaries of what's possible? Working their butts off to create the very best gaming experiences with depth, gorgeous visuals and hoooouuuuurs of gameplay?

I want the sims team to do this too. I want EA to let them do it. After all the money we've given them - and yes even if we like TS4 and enjoy it for what it is - they can do better. And they have to do better.

What bothers me is that she only just noticed this stuff now??!!! Like really? You haven't noticed this stuff for the last 6 years? We've been complaining for years, where have you, as a game changer, been? She says something like "you can be angry at me," and honestly I kind of am!

You had 6 years to notice and give feedback to the devs and you did nothing!

I guess it's fine that she finally noticed it, but I feel like this video was just like "oh, sorry, the games sucks, but it's too late, whoops!"
  • Options
    Honestly, stop giving the influencers any credit. LGR said the same thing about the game YEARS ago and they didn't listen. If they didn't notice this years ago, then they are at fault! And they play the game, and it's their job! Like she said in the video, they have feedback sessions! What were they doing, twiddling their thumbs??
  • Options
    Don't like being lumped as toxic when I am simply saying my opinion. And I'm just saying the gamechangers are finally starting to notice what me and A LOT of people have been saying for years when people told us we were out of our minds....Just saying...

Exactly! They should have been saying these things in 2014!!! I can't believe they feedback sessions and they said nothing to the devs about what the community was complaining about.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    You know the more animations they do, the less items they have time for. So re-using physical animations is not such a bad thing.

Besides, I kind of like the way they use the hoover animation.
    It‘s sad that they‘re penny-pinching when The Sims is one of the best selling video game franchises. The Sims is EA’s money maker. They can absolutely afford to give us both new animations and new items. They‘re just being greedy and getting too comfortable because they know they have no competition.
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I wish they would just give us a Sims 4 Missing Animations Expansion no clothing or hair no worlds just all animations. No longer would Sims lay in bed lifeless instead they could cuddle or read a book or watch tv, the dish washer would not open itself oh the posibilities. We could also get slow dancing and games kids could play without an object.
    An Animation EP would be a very bad idea and would make me uninstall TS4 instantly. What‘s next? Emotions EP? Traits EP? Aspirations EP? Bug Fixing EP?
    bixters wrote: »

This ^

Even game changers are starting to openly confirm that we get so much less content per pack than we used to and that it's a problem. Especially because they keep telling us that this is the best-selling iteration? And animation processes have actually become far more effective and more versatile? And most other AAA titles are out there pushing the boundaries of what's possible? Working their butts off to create the very best gaming experiences with depth, gorgeous visuals and hoooouuuuurs of gameplay?

I want the sims team to do this too. I want EA to let them do it. After all the money we've given them - and yes even if we like TS4 and enjoy it for what it is - they can do better. And they have to do better.

What bothers me is that she only just noticed this stuff now??!!! Like really? You haven't noticed this stuff for the last 6 years? We've been complaining for years, where have you, as a game changer, been? She says something like "you can be angry at me," and honestly I kind of am!

I guess it's fine that she finally noticed it, but I feel like this video was just like "oh, sorry, the games sucks, but it's too late, whoops!"
    At Sims Camp.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    I’ve been getting into posing recently and I am genuinely surprised at how many beautiful (honestly they’re so well done when you take them out of context - it must take them HOURS) and unique EA animations there actually are in the game. I have sat through 1000s upon 1000s of animations in the last few months or so and since then I can completely understand why the devs have ‘cut corners’ to make their lives easier! Before I installed PosePlayer I used to get annoyed at the recycling of animations but I honestly believe it is more efficient and cost effective to recycle. The more unique animations = the more money packs would be, probably. Also, the longer the gaps between packs! Devs are constantly saying how little time they have to push packs out and now I can see why. I genuinely believe they have done the best they can with the resources and time they have.

This whole world of modding and CC creation has truly opened my eyes and I have a lot more respect and patience for devs now.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2020
    bixters wrote: »

This ^

Tbf she did make a few videos already pointing certain things out - or mentioning them on the side in other videos. She's never outright said it like this (except when it comes to the lack of hobbies) but she's definitely criticized the game over the years. So have Plumbella, Iron Seagull, and a couple of others. I'm still happy they're finally saying something because they have a much louder voice than any of us here at the forums. So it matters. It's not about giving them credit.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited May 2020
    Re: GameChangers "only just noticing now": many of them have voiced things before but they don't do it in dedicated videos usually. They say what they like, of course, but most of them also say what they don't like, what they think could be improved. If you pay attention to their videos, you'll know that they're not "loving everything" as a part of the Simmer community likes to say.

And that's only the public side, which in a way to me feels like they're appeasing a part of the community (and thus their viewers/income source) more than providing feedback (which they also likely have other, non-public, ways to do). Unfortunately nowadays, if they don't do something visibly, the assumption is that they do nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, part of their "job" as GCs is also to highlight what they're hearing in comments on their videos or replies to them on twitter etc. So yeah, in a way they are a voice for the community (which doesn't always have to reflect what they're thinking themselves). They can't win, really. If they're positive about something, the ones who don't like the thing will shout that the GCs do nothing. If they're critical of something, the ones who are happy with it will shout about the GCs being negative and hating the whole game. The extremes are unfortunately always loud and a middle ground is seen as everyone's enemy.

For my part, I wish we'd be able to get rid of all the "no one" and "everyone" stuff. Because there is no one thing in the entire game that is universally liked or disliked by every single player. And it's those generalizations that cause a big amount of friction in the community.
  • Options
    Re: GameChangers "only just noticing now": many of them have voiced things before but they don't do it in dedicated videos usually. They say what they like, of course, but most of them also say what they don't like, what they think could be improved. If you pay attention to their videos, you'll know that they're not "loving everything" as a part of the Simmer community likes to say.

And that's only the public side, which in a way to me feels like they're appeasing a part of the community (and thus their viewers/income source) more than providing feedback (which they also likely have other, non-public, ways to do). Unfortunately nowadays, if they don't do something visibly, the assumption is that they do nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, part of their "job" as GCs is also to highlight what they're hearing in comments on their videos or replies to them on twitter etc. So yeah, in a way they are a voice for the community (which doesn't always have to reflect what they're thinking themselves). They can't win, really. If they're positive about something, the ones who don't like the thing will shout that the GCs do nothing. If they're critical of something, the ones who are happy with it will shout about the GCs being negative and hating the whole game. The extremes are unfortunately always loud and a middle ground is seen as everyone's enemy.

For my part, I wish we'd be able to get rid of all the "no one" and "everyone" stuff. Because there is no one thing in the entire game that is universally liked or disliked by every single player. And it's those generalizations that cause a big amount of friction in the community.

The Game Changer program was a huge mistake imo and a lot of times they‘re pushing their own agenda instead of acting as a neutral mediator between simmers and simgurus. I don’t feel represented don‘t feel like having my voice heard. I unsubscribed from most of them a long time ago so maybe things have changed since then but in my experience they only voice criticism weeks after release. At Sims Camp, during early release and their reviews they will praise a pack to high heavens and a couple of weeks later they will say in a side remark that this pack has little replay value and feels empty. It’s not helpful, sorry. I feel like many Game Changers purposely withhold their real opinion and deceive their subscribers in order not to sabotage their chances to get invited to Sims Camp and have all kinds of freebies sent to them and when the damage is done they fake criticism so they don‘t look like human billboards.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    How eco friendly is that thing that is vacuuming up the weeds? Is it gas powered or electric or what? See, when you tell me something is echo friendly even if battery powered it's not. I think my brain goes deep within the roots of stuff and wonders how much they expect me to believe. Like what is powering that thing. A mini solar panel?

And speaking of foregoing my disbelief, if the skies turn dark and the sun is covered in smog how much power will my Sim house get that day? Or if the wind stops blowing (is there wind in TS4..no) will my Sim house still get power when the windmill stops? See I think about this stuff not just reused animations.

Enjoy your day, I'm off here now. I'm on day 60 something lock down so my mind starts to wonder to other things.

There is wind in Sims 4, if you have seasons. Some days are very windy and Sims can barely walk outside in it, which is kinda a pain when you want them to get to school on time haha!

But some don't. I don't so, there has to be wind or I'm too old to believe anymore that windmill is being powered by wind. I guess I expect too much.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited May 2020
    20200520_075354.jpg

This is my take:

Sidenote: I hate the fact SimGuruGeorge liked that tweet, he was basically indirectly mocking the one criticising the sheer amount of reuses in a $40 pack that, in the first place, is heavily reliant on changes to background drops and inaccessible locations and is an expansion to a pre-existing concept in Island Living.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I don’t mind recycle animations as long as the money saved to do new animations is used to make really good gameplay. But somehow I doubt this is the case.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I am more worried about recycled gameplay. Like pipe organ in vampire is clearly recycled piano.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    20200520_075354.jpg

This is my take:

Sidenote: I hate the fact SimGuruGeorge liked that tweet, he was basically indirectly mocking the one criticising the sheer amount of reuses in a $40 pack that, in the first place, is heavily reliant on changes to background drops and inaccessible locations and is an expansion to a pre-existing concept in Island Living.

I get that it might seem off-putting but he liked the post but to be honest his feelings are probably a little bit hurt I know it's his job to make the pack but its probably really special to him but because a lot of people think of Eco stuff is being political it didn't come across very well in some circles so he's probably feeling a little bit broken hearted but he probably should have known that something like that would happen as it always does with anything that could be considered even a little bit political even if you're not trying to be political that's just how it works these days
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    no I don't mind that some of the animations for reuse the more stuff they can get into pax the better I don't care if some animations have to be used for that to be possible please please reused animations if it means I get way more stuff
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I don't mind animations being reused at all. There are other reasons I'm not really into the pack at the moment.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited May 2020
    Depends on a case by case scenario. For some things it doesn't bother me if this means the resources can be used elsewhere.
    Recycling gameplay bothers me more than recycled animations. But I do hope there is enough new things next to the recycled animations.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I would not mind recycling animations on some things if it made sense if we actually got lots new animations to cover new activities or the many missing interactions clearly this is not the case.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    It‘s sad that a multi billion company would be so greedy and give their best selling franchise such a small budget that they have to recycle so many animations and objects.

I can understand SimGuruGeorge feeling hurt. Imagine working on something for a year, putting all your energy in it, trying to figure out how to give the customers the best experience with the little resources available… only to have people hate it. I‘d be sad and take it personally too. He‘s just a human after all. When we talk about the absurd high amount of recycling and the little amount of new content, we should always make it a point that we don‘t blame the developers. I bet they would love to do more but the time and money restrictions put in place by some higher ups in suits just don’t allow it.
  • Options
    It‘s sad that a multi billion company would be so greedy and give their best selling franchise such a small budget that they have to recycle so many animations and objects.

I can understand SimGuruGeorge feeling hurt. Imagine working on something for a year, putting all your energy in it, trying to figure out how to give the customers the best experience with the little resources available… only to have people hate it. I‘d be sad and take it personally too. He‘s just a human after all. When we talk about the absurd high amount of recycling and the little amount of new content, we should always make it a point that we don‘t blame the developers. I bet they would love to do more but the time and money restrictions put in place by some higher ups in suits just don’t allow it.

Agreed people should blame EA not the developers
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I honestly don't get the big deal about reusing animations where they fit. What bothers me is missing animations. I remember when Island Living came out, everybody got so mad about toddlers reusing their animation from toddler pools in shallow ocean water, yet no one complained about sims basically teleporting on and off boats, which to me seemed to be the bigger problem. Better a reused animation than none at all, I guess?

That being said, of course it's not always fitting. (Looking at you, "throwing the so-called vaccine in your face" animation from StrangerVille.) But as for that insect hotel, I'd say as long as sims don't suddenly start harvesting non-existent honey from it and end up with insects in their pockets, it's fine by me.
  • Options
    no I don't mind that some of the animations for reuse the more stuff they can get into pax the better I don't care if some animations have to be used for that to be possible please please reused animations if it means I get way more stuff

So you'd rather get the same content recycled as long as it is dressed up with a new name? Can't be me to be honest.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Depends on a case by case scenario. For some things it doesn't bother me if this means the resources can be used elsewhere.
    Recycling gameplay bothers me more than recycled animations. But I do hope there is enough new things next to the recycled animations.

But you're paying $40 :#

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    I honestly don't get the big deal about reusing animations where they fit. What bothers me is missing animations. I remember when Island Living came out, everybody got so mad about toddlers reusing their animation from toddler pools in shallow ocean water, yet no one complained about sims basically teleporting on and off boats, which to me seemed to be the bigger problem. Better a reused animation than none at all, I guess?

That being said, of course it's not always fitting. (Looking at you, "throwing the so-called vaccine in your face" animation from StrangerVille.) But as for that insect hotel, I'd say as long as sims don't suddenly start harvesting non-existent honey from it and end up with insects in their pockets, it's fine by me.

Strongly disagree. Just because it is better than another option, doesn't mean it is *good*. It isn't. I can't ever justify paying $40 for an expansion pack that a good portion of its selling points is recycled content. Fits the theme, I guess.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I never said it was good (in fact, I don't think TS4 as a whole is very good in its current state, more like an unhealthy drug that I'm unfortunately addicted to), and if the question was whether or not the expansions are worth 40€ each, I would have to say no, which is why I always get them on sale. But the question I answered was what I think of some animations being reused, and I'm just more worried about other things.