Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the real reason EA choosed eco lifestyle voor this EP?

Comments

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Alright here is the honest truth. They made it because people wanted it. The truth is many people have been asking for some type of eco pack.

Here is the thing, they are late with it. People were so on board way back in Laundry day time and maybe even a little when we got the off the grid trait. Some of these people probably gave up on this iteration and left since laundry day stuff pack.

This would have gone over so much better if the expansion was farming and the game pack was eco living. Throw in a supernatural somewhere and people would have been so happy. A whole expansion on eco living just is so bleh in my opinion.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,124 Member
    Maybe the EA Publishers want to be bankrupted & close the business altogether. I feel sorry for the game developers that have their hands tied.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Answer to your title question Why did EA make this..because it's the MFP all over again. It's the MFP to Laundry day, it's the MFP to IL, it's the MFP to Tiny houses pack, it's the MFP to knitting pack...it's the same theme over and over sold to you in a half of dozen packs.

I have been seeing this on the forums and I don't quite understand it. Why is this Expansion being compared to MFP? The worst thing about MFP was that you couldn't use half of the items without owning C&D. It was DLC for DLC. At least that's what I thought. But they already made clear that you don't need any other packs to play with EL. So I guess to many people on the forum the issue with MFP was overlapping themes?
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    Answer to your title question Why did EA make this..because it's the MFP all over again. It's the MFP to Laundry day, it's the MFP to IL, it's the MFP to Tiny houses pack, it's the MFP to knitting pack...it's the same theme over and over sold to you in a half of dozen packs.

I have been seeing this on the forums and I don't quite understand it. Why is this Expansion being compared to MFP? The worst thing about MFP was that you couldn't use half of the items without owning C&D. It was DLC for DLC. At least that's what I thought. But they already made clear that you don't need any other packs to play with EL. So I guess to many people on the forum the issue with MFP was overlapping themes?

It may not be setup that you would need one pack to use another (yet) but the theme was months ago, people have moved on and there are already several packs about this theme (eco friendly or whatever) so it's why I compare it to MFP not because you need another pack to get benefit from another but because the theme is overkill much like when they add something to the game and then the game spawns too much of that thing in a game. Redwood seems to like to repeat themes in several packs to sell more DLC for more money rather than one big fat EP that everyone might have wanted at the time. Lesson Learned: Don't ask for a theme in stuff pack if there is a stronger chance you can get it in an EP. Because Graham had stated more or less the stuff pack team does things the EP team was never going to do...but yet here we are...
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

It may not be setup that you would need one pack to use another (yet) but the theme was months ago, people have moved on and there are already several packs about this theme (eco friendly or whatever) so it's why I compare it to MFP not because you need another pack to get benefit from another but because the theme is overkill much like when they add something to the game and then the game spawns too much of that thing in a game. Redwood seems to like to repeat themes in several packs to sell more DLC for more money rather than one big fat EP that everyone might have wanted at the time. Lesson Learned: Don't ask for a theme in stuff pack if there is a stronger chance you can get it in an EP. Because Graham had stated more or less the stuff pack team does things the EP team was never going to do...but yet here we are...

I see what you mean, but I guess I just have less of an issue with this theme in general. To me it's more like people who want farming. We already have pets to take care of and plants you can harvest in the game, so would farming just be more animals to take care of and more plants to harvest? Not really. There is a certain lifestyle that goes with it that needs to be fleshed out in the pack to make your lot feel like an actual farm. (I don't care about farming, it was just an example.) For me this pack could mean something similar. Sure, Laundry Day has a washtub and a clothesline and IL has an island to clean up, but those are just touching certain aspects of how humans affect their environment. To have a pack that explores this subject deeper, could be of interest to me, depending on how it's done. So I am currently holding my judgement but thanks for clarifying the comparison to MFP.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    edited May 2020

I see what you mean, but I guess I just have less of an issue with this theme in general. To me it's more like people who want farming. We already have pets to take care of and plants you can harvest in the game, so would farming just be more animals to take care of and more plants to harvest? Not really. There is a certain lifestyle that goes with it that needs to be fleshed out in the pack to make your lot feel like an actual farm. (I don't care about farming, it was just an example.) For me this pack could mean something similar. Sure, Laundry Day has a washtub and a clothesline and IL has an island to clean up, but those are just touching certain aspects of how humans affect their environment. To have a pack that explores this subject deeper, could be of interest to me, depending on how it's done. So I am currently holding my judgement but thanks for clarifying the comparison to MFP.

You know I grew up with my mom washing clothes in a wringer washer (didn't even have a water hose to fill it) then hanging them to dry outside. I had to help with that chore. I never thought we would see the day people want to go back to that and or washing clothes in a tub by hand and wringing out their hands and getting sores from always being in water too much and or beating them against rocks. She was so happy the day we gave her a washing machine and dryer. I think my view of going backwards in time isn't as notalgic as others seem to think how fun it would be. Oh, and how stiff the clothes would be that were sundried having to iron them to soften them up. Yep, good times, not. (one piece at a time).
    And no running hot water in home, so having to boil water to carry to the self crank washer. I know I'm thankful for living in more modern times where hands are no longer cracked and bleeding from exposure too much hard work and too much water exposure.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Eco Living was one of the core themes voted on in the first community voted stuff pack a couple of years ago. In fact, it won.

Somehow it morphed into a full-on focus on laundry, but the core theme was in very high demand.
    Was it really in high demand? laundry won over it many people (obviously the majority) only voted eco because of laundry being lumped into the eco option of the vote which also had things like chickens as an option there was like 20 or more options in the eco catagory going against simple themes like weddings, arcade and "eco" won shocker.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    edited May 2020
    I'm wondering if newer features in an EP would have lost out to Eco Lifestyle. Such as for the first time ever download or snap a photo of an object you want in your game (remember the guy at Maxis who said he tried to get Lucy and Rachel to do that) and viola you could have it in your game. Mainly chairs or sofas or some decor or something. Would eco lifestyle won out over features like that? Or for the first time ever, design your own backdrops to all the existing worlds in game...instead of those WC fake homes you get to design the backdrop you want across the street...I feel eco friendly would have went out the window with most players. Even TS3 players don't get to acutally design the backdrops of worlds but have to use the existing ones and choose what they see in a CAW. Or if even preteens (shorter more in tune with actual teen behavior) was a choice if eco living would have won. See, it's always how you frame the questions and what is up for offer.
  • NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    The only other pack that it is kind of included in is the upcoming knitting pack, which wasn't decided on as the next pack until after this pack was in development.
    What does the knitting one have to do with ECO?

Well, people are saying that there's recycled gameplay - so if you're able to sell products that you create in Eco Lifestyle, then that's "recycling" from knitting - or knitting is recycling from it.

They came up with the store Plopsy selling it on the idea that it would be an online store to sell knitting items (and other items as well), when I feel like Plopsy was also designed with the Expansion pack in the back of their minds. There is an Expansion pack description for Eco Living that says you can also make clothes in this pack and if people knew that they were already getting that feature with an Expansion, if their minds would of changed about the Stuff pack revolving around the idea of making clothes being a new feature to the game with Nifty Knitting. But now the Expansion will come out before the stuff pack beating it to the finnish line.

So that's why people feel like the voting was rigged so they could have packs more in relation with each other; recycling animations and reusing old objects making them appear new with Eco Living; they even had a knitting animation already with DU for knitting the school statues.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Eco Living was one of the core themes voted on in the first community voted stuff pack a couple of years ago. In fact, it won.

Somehow it morphed into a full-on focus on laundry, but the core theme was in very high demand.
    Was it really in high demand? laundry won over it many people (obviously the majority) only voted eco because of laundry being lumped into the eco option of the vote which also had things like chickens as an option there was like 20 or more options in the eco catagory going against simple themes like weddings, arcade and "eco" won shocker.

People have been asking for some eco stuff like solar panels and windmills and such. I really think no one expected a whole expansion on it.

The laundrygate was a mixed bag. Some people were very upset that laundry was picked for the eco theme instead of real eco stuff. As I said, they are late. If they were going to please the masses, it should have been a long time ago and surely not a whole expansion.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited May 2020
    that might be a little off topic but i remember my mom telling me when she was young her mom my grandmother on my mom side now in heaven was sleeping she would wake up jello would be in her bedroom since it was cold since there was no heat at night think about it eco living clod winter night or spring night waking up jello is in your sims bedroom
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

People have been asking for some eco stuff like solar panels and windmills and such. I really think no one expected a whole expansion on it.

The laundrygate was a mixed bag. Some people were very upset that laundry was picked for the eco theme instead of real eco stuff. As I said, they are late. If they were going to please the masses, it should have been a long time ago and surely not a whole expansion.
    Even if it was a game pack, people would have complained it should have been in a SP and if it was a SP people would have said it should have been in a patch. There is just no pleasing people sometimes. It is not like EPs are the Sims 4 strong point anyways. GPs tend to perform and sell better than all the packs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • sirsir Posts: 19 Member
    I guess it depends with what they have going on but that trailer makes it look like its going to be focused around picking stuff up (which is why I stopped playing Sims 3--sooo boring to me,) That scientist (or was she an inventor) was the only thing i found mildly interesting. Trailer gave scant information so its hard to say until they release more info on the new game play. There must be new game play if its supposed to be an EP.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited May 2020
    Considering that after laundry "won" the gameplay vote, people posts in the suggestions/ideas forums were all about how cool it would be to see the features that didn't make it in a game pack or expansion pack, I think that people would, in fact, have voted for it to be an expansion pack.

Agreed.

I am also wondering whether they will incorporate some of the "healthy living" options that were included in the most recent community stuff pack vote (I.e., Round One of the voting process that led to the knitting pack). I don't remember them all, but I have a vague recollection of options for additional harvestables/teas/plant-based milks. I would LOVE if this pack gave us, e.g., almond trees/almond milk.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Yes. High demand for a STUFF pack that is.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Yes. High demand for a STUFF pack that is.
    But those that voted for it wanting to be a stuff pack, may have wanted to include it in a bigger pack too. I know during a Sims livestream for Island Living last year, Gurus asked Simmers if they would like Eco Living expanded to larger pack and they did respond yes. So not going to deny that Simmers didn't want it, because they did ask for it during a livestream.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    sir wrote: »
    I guess it depends with what they have going on but that trailer makes it look like its going to be focused around picking stuff up (which is why I stopped playing Sims 3--sooo boring to me,) That scientist (or was she an inventor) was the only thing i found mildly interesting. Trailer gave scant information so its hard to say until they release more info on the new game play. There must be new game play if its supposed to be an EP.

I don't remember the trailer showing once a sim picking up trash so I don't agree when people say that's all the trailer showed. To me the trailer showed sims crafting stuff and working together as a community to turn the dump into a useable space.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    For all those throwing out "we voted for Eco Living to be a stuff pack only":

There are a lot of people who wanted Happy Haunts to win the more recent STUFF pack vote. But while the vote was going and ever since, many people also expressed how much they'd want it to become at least a game pack because as a stuff pack, it wouldn't include all the options.
    The same goes for eco living. There are many people who voted for all the other parts of what was originally presented as an eco pack, the community suggested features filled up a whole whiteboard. There are many builds on the gallery using the debug solar panels, many off the grid and eco homes, etc.

Yes, people voted for eco living as a stuff pack. Because that was the only option at the time. How many of those same people would've said yes had they been offered the option to make the pack bigger so more of the features (aka not just laundry) would be included? From the forums alone and how often "I wish laundry hadn't won over off the grid/eco" has been mentioned in the past year alone, I'm guessing plenty of players would have been happy. And plenty of people are happy with this pack.

At the end of the day, the devs saw how the community voted, saw the suggestions and responses and people lobbying for one or another feature for the theme and decided to give it to those who did.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited May 2020
    EP Trailers - Stats :

Thumb Up
    1. EP08 Discover University 131K
    2. EP07 Island Living 118K
    3. EP04 Cats & Dogs 112K
    4. EP05 Seasons 89K
    5. EP09 Eco Lifestyle 86K
    6. EP06 Get Famous 55K
    7. EP03 City Living 35K
    8. EP02 Get Together 32K
    9. EP01 Get To Work 25K

Thumb Down
    1. EP09 Eco Lifestyle 35K
    2. EP08 Discover University 2.7K
    3. EP05 Seasons 1.5K
    4. EP04 Cats & Dogs 1.4K
    5. EP07 Island Living 1.1K
    6. EP02 Get Together 1K
    7. EP06 Get Famous 802
    8. EP03 City Living 568
    9. EP01 Get To Work 413

Despite the negative reaction, Eco Lifestyle is already the 5th favorite trailer right after Seasons.

70% of the reactions are positive.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    For all those throwing out "we voted for Eco Living to be a stuff pack only":

There are a lot of people who wanted Happy Haunts to win the more recent STUFF pack vote. But while the vote was going and ever since, many people also expressed how much they'd want it to become at least a game pack because as a stuff pack, it wouldn't include all the options.
    The same goes for eco living. There are many people who voted for all the other parts of what was originally presented as an eco pack, the community suggested features filled up a whole whiteboard. There are many builds on the gallery using the debug solar panels, many off the grid and eco homes, etc.

Yes, people voted for eco living as a stuff pack. Because that was the only option at the time. How many of those same people would've said yes had they been offered the option to make the pack bigger so more of the features (aka not just laundry) would be included? From the forums alone and how often "I wish laundry hadn't won over off the grid/eco" has been mentioned in the past year alone, I'm guessing plenty of players would have been happy. And plenty of people are happy with this pack.

At the end of the day, the devs saw how the community voted, saw the suggestions and responses and people lobbying for one or another feature for the theme and decided to give it to those who did.

Packs take time to make though. That vote was 2 years ago around when they first started the pack. They wouldn't just start making it then say oh people wanted happy haunts and throw out what they've done with eco lifestyle if they did they wouldn't have had anything to give us now since things take time to make wed be missing out on content. The only reason sims community thinks we don't want this is because they see other more current idea's. If they didn't show us the surveys a lot more people who be thrilled with this pack. With a lot of product "new" is always behind in the times.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    That thumbs-down differential is seriously extreme. It leads me to distrust the down votes. Why all of a sudden would there 13,000 times more downvotes than ever before? It's not like Get Together, for example, was well received when the trailer came out. There's never been a comparable vote shift through all these packs. It reeks of fish.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    That thumbs-down differential is seriously extreme. It leads me to distrust the down votes. Why all of a sudden would there 13,000 times more downvotes than ever before? It's not like Get Together, for example, was well received when the trailer came out. There's never been a comparable vote shift through all these packs. It reeks of fish.
    Yeah seems fishy to me too. I don't even think I have seen that many Simmers active in any of the social sites or livestreams. But people did say they are using multiple accounts to downvote it, so could be why it is rigged.
    edited May 2020
    @luthienrising @Scobre

I'm not sure about that because the total is 124K which is less than Discover University thumb ups.
    Even if they cheated, they can't remove the positive votes.

Ecology is a political theme, many people react to it negatively.
    edited May 2020
    luthienrising Scobre

I'm not sure about that because the total is 124K which is less than Discover University thumb ups.
    Even if they cheated, they can't remove the positive votes.

Ecology is a political theme, many people react to it negatively.
    Not really. It is a science and actually has a longer history than most trends these days with writings that date back to over 5,000 years ago which is much longer than any human has been alive.
    https://www.britannica.com/science/ecology
    edited May 2020
    If you were a SimCity player, you would know the pollution management is a part of the game.

The sims are citizens of SimCity, it's not surprising to me they care about ecology at their level.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on