Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play to change in The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Expansion Pack!

Comments

• PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    One more comment - if Island Living had been different, with no Conservationist career (but with more fleshed-out mermaids, more ocean gameplay) -- I think this pack would be seen in a much different light. Because it appears to be the pack that people DID want a few years ago.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Pegasys wrote: »
    One more comment - if Island Living had been different, with no Conservationist career (but with more fleshed-out mermaids, more ocean gameplay) -- I think this pack would be seen in a much different light. Because it appears to be the pack that people DID want a few years ago.

This is a no brainer. I mean they literally already did the whole "change the environment for the better" thing in IL, and tbh that EP suffered greatly from it, it had lacklustre island gameplay in favour of the green crap. I don't know if they plan out EP themes ahead of time or not, but I guess they don't because otherwise they'd never include that stuff in IL and then double down on another EP.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Thing is - even if you want to live in the world as is - all the sims will be tense and angry all the time because sims hate even a puddle of rain water! And perhaps that is better than so happy all the time, but I have never been a fan of the ridiculous angry walk and tense is not much better - good luck even making friends to fix the town when everyone is tense and angry!
  • gogojellygogojelly Posts: 24 Member
    At first I thought it was a joke. But who knows, maybe some people relate to this - I'll stay open minded. I don't think I'll be getting this for myself though.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited May 2020
    but honestly, complaining about it isn't going to fix anything. Every game expansion, game pack, and stuff pack adds at least a little bit of value to the game.
    If we can't complain, what can we do to get our voices heard? It's not like we can vote with our wallets - so many people buy out of brand loyalty, to be a completionist, because they don't know enough about the pack before buying, because people are desperate for ANYTHING that might change up this stagnant game, or because of EA's often sketchy (and arguably predatory) marketing tactics. They could literally make a My First Colonoscopy pack and make bank.
    I've kept my expectations low with most expansions and packs in general, and I've never been disappointed.
    I gotta say that this is a depressing way to view a franchise. We always have to keep our expectations in check and assume we'll get the bare minimum. (And even then, I'm still often disappointed.) Even when we get a pack that we want, tons of us are praying that it's half as good as older takes on the idea.

Anyway, here are some of my honest thoughts on the pack.
    • The concept itself isn't good for an EP, but it's novel enough to be a GP. Like Spa Day. I'd actually be somewhat excited if this was a GP, because those are meant to have a smaller scope, cost less and are generally done better than EPs.
    • If we could make other worlds dirty and grungy, my opinion would do a complete 180. That would add depth and consequences. That would make the worlds less static.
    • I don't think we'll get PlantSims here. But if we did, and they were done well, I'd consider buying this pack. My world is occult-based, and I can't make a diverse community of occults when I'm limited to 3 different kinds - and 1 of those (mermaids) doesn't work outside of Sulani & Britechester because no other worlds allow for swimming.
    • I like the dirt and grossness of the pre-fixed world. If I ever get this pack, I want to keep it that way, instead of turning it into another generic neighborhood. Dingy BB/CAS items would be fantastic for Rags to Riches challenges and stories.
    • Even if this pack ended up being good, I'd still be bitter about it. Time and resources were put into this over farming, and now we have to wait that much longer for farming. If we ever get it. Remember when that one Guru (Grant?) admitted that no one wanted StrangerVille, but he wanted to include it for his own sake? I don't want Maxis to prioritize what they want over what we want. Yes, we'll still get what we want eventually. But we should get what we want first, and then get the new stuff.
    • "But a lot of people wanted Eco stuff!" Yeah, I know. But it's still very niche and offers very narrow gameplay. And people have been asking for farms for far longer.
    • I'm interested in the candle-making stuff. Just imagine living in a run-down building with no power.
    • But I'm also burnt out on crafting, since nearly all the in-game hobbies are about crafting something + we're getting knitting.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Cherryl93 wrote: »
    The problem with the sims 4 is twofold.

First of all, it feels too “silicons valley”. Game content creators trying to prove their “creativity”, feeling like they need to give us new/modern/up to date content while all simmers are asking for are the basics. Perhaps just a tiny bit improved. Yes, robots are cool. (University) Yes, changing the world for the better is cool (ecoliving). Yes, different cultures are cool (city living/ get together). But you know what’s also cool? Being able to relate to your sims. How? Well by being able to play out our own ordinary lives for starters. Unfortunately, when it comes to ordinary life, the gameplay is just so limited, players have to resort to mods and custom content to try to create any kind of realistic storytelling.

On the other hand it feels like EA is so desperately trying to prove it’s an ethical company with modern norms and values.
    - EA is a sustainable company = eco living
    - EA is anti racism = different cultures (names/looks/foods)
    - EA is LGBT friendly = Same sex households, transgender sims
    - EA cares about equal rights = let’s put a female sim as the main sim on every cover / in every trailer

Don’t get me wrong. These are all very positive introductions to the game. However, it seems EA cares more about its image lately than about its actual games, a feeling that wasn’t around in previous sims series. If only we could go back to the times where the created content was actually about adding value to the game.

Oh, yes, Definitely. I agree.
    #Team Occult
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    but honestly, complaining about it isn't going to fix anything. Every game expansion, game pack, and stuff pack adds at least a little bit of value to the game.
    If we can't complain, what can we do to get our voices heard? It's not like we can vote with our wallets - so many people buy out of brand loyalty, to be a completionist, because they don't know enough about the pack before buying, because people are desperate for ANYTHING that might change up this stagnant game, or because of EA's often sketchy (and arguably predatory) marketing tactics. They could literally make a My First Colonoscopy pack and make bank.
    I've kept my expectations low with most expansions and packs in general, and I've never been disappointed.
    I gotta say that this is a depressing way to view a franchise. We always have to keep our expectations in check and assume we'll get the bare minimum. (And even then, I'm still often disappointed.) Even when we get a pack that we want, tons of us are praying that it's half as good as older takes on the idea.
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Yeah this has got to be one of the worst things about it actually. Why not give us a dark seedy magic world? And uhm idk EP-sized WITCHES 🌺🌺🌺🌺. I understand that you can't please everyone but it isn't like this community isn't vocal enough for them to not have noticed the uber subtle hints to "we want a magic EP" and confused them with "eco living, anyone?"
    I doubt we'll ever get an occult EP, since they clearly prefer catering to the realism players. I feel that's the reason the Magic Realm was hidden away and underdeveloped, and why the CASsets were fairly tame and had no exclusively-witchy clothing - they wanted to make the pack as appealing as possible to appease them.

Anyway, here are some of my honest thoughts on the pack.
    • The concept itself isn't good for an EP, but it's novel enough to be a GP. Like Spa Day. I'd actually be somewhat excited if this was a GP, because those are meant to have a smaller scope, cost less and are generally done better than EPs.
    • If we could make other worlds dirty and grungy, my opinion would do a complete 180. That would add depth and consequences. That would make the worlds less static.
    • I don't think we'll get PlantSims here. But if we did, and they were done well, I'd consider buying this pack. My world is occult-based, and I can't make a diverse community of occults when I'm limited to 3 different kinds - and 1 of those (mermaids) doesn't work outside of Sulani & Britechester because no other worlds allow for swimming.
    • I like the dirt and grossness of the pre-fixed world. If I ever get this pack, I want to keep it that way, instead of turning it into another generic neighborhood. Dingy BB/CAS items would be fantastic for Rags to Riches challenges and stories.
    • Even if this pack ended up being good, I'd still be bitter about it. Time and resources were put into this over farming, and now we have to wait that much longer for farming. If we ever get it. Remember when that one Guru (Grant?) admitted that no one wanted StrangerVille, but he wanted to include it for his own sake? I don't want Maxis to prioritize what they want over what we want. Yes, we'll still get what we want eventually. But we should get what we want first, and then get the new stuff.
    • "But a lot of people wanted Eco stuff!" Yeah, I know. But it's still very niche and offers very narrow gameplay. And people have been asking for farms for far longer.

Not really!! Where's cars and garages? Non object babies? Actual personalities? Turn ons and offs? Where are the normal everyday juicers instead of giant alchemy stations? Who has a trash recycling machine on their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 house?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2020
    I’m digging it! Sure you can say they recycled but haven’t they done that in almost every pack. I don’t think it’s a bad thing. I’ve said this before, they do listen to the community they give us tiny bread crumbs of what we want because it’s hard to appease everyone and remember they want to try “new” ish things which this story is newish. I feel certain people are reading into it to much. I think those people are afraid they might enjoy something about the pack even if it is a new window. You guys are killing me about the farming. I would of like that as well but come on... snap out of it. The message is a good message unlike shooter games (which I enjoy too) it’s something that’s going on now so if your feeling a certain way about a “message” your obviously ignorantly righteous. A Shame really!
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Not really!! Where's cars and garages? Non object babies? Actual personalities? Turn ons and offs? Where are the normal everyday juicers instead of giant alchemy stations? Who has a trash recycling machine on their 🌺🌺🌺🌺 house?
    They cater to realism that's trendy and allows for recycled animations.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Ironically love this expansion announcement, yes cus of ladders but it also looks actually promising.
    Big realism player so eco sims trying to save the world, welcomed.

Hopefully, this world is a little more open and better than Sulani was, SP would help give it a full vibe if as time passed, new relatives came and carried on their parent's legacy, families took over and raised animals in little gardens and the overall feel was ALIVE.

Like community gardens/lots people share IRL, that but in sims
  • NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    I just.. I reeeeeally wish those worms were something else... anything else.

Like, food?

Or caterpillars that turn into beautiful butterflies.

They might be! That would be amazing! Apparently it's an insect farm so we will see what it brings.

There is another picture and on the same box it looks like black crickets....
  • SimskristaSimskrista Posts: 175 Member
    This just does not look like enough for an EP...everything seems completely recycled from previous packs. Really disappointed.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    You make what you want, but I am not sure I want to pay $40 for it.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Ladders! That is all.

(It's not, there are more things that look great in this. but also, LADDERS!)

Ladders yet locked by a paywall when they could have patched them in for free :(!

• SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited May 2020
    Oh wow...I didn't realize this is going to be an Expansion, not a Game Pack...

I'm not sure it's really a broad enough concept for an entire expansion...Still buying it, but...

IceyJ wrote: »
    Ladders! That is all.

Ladders yet locked by a paywall when they could have patched them in for free :(!

Ladders! Come to me, my love!
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    So basically in this pack we play Captain Planet...the hell I look like cleaning a virtual enviroment. i didnt think it could get worse than Laundry Day but here it is.

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I wanted another take on the dynamically changing world - gameplay and I got it, so no reason to complain. My first pick would have been a crime-ridden world, but I can work with the Eco theme, too.

Now all that's left is seeing whether they thought of roleplayers when they coded the voting mechanics. With two-day rotations three played sims factions could try to win over the residents in the weekly voting in direct competition to each other: the eco-conscious Urban Farms, Cyberlife being interested in a dumping ground for failed experiments and space to build a new factory and the Villareal clan giving the people money for their projects to later have them in their debt. Of course if the whole thing is single household centric I'm out of luck with this.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    And again another pack I have no interest for...
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,756 Member
    edited May 2020
    I found some of the ideas in the trailer quite interesting: crafting, houses built out of junk, the inventing machine, swarms of killer flies...
    The only bit that put me off was the amount of cleaning I'd have to do first. (Sorry but I'm not entertained that much by watching Sims do chores).
    I like the general idea of the pack though.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Ladders! That is all.

Thank you for the info!

The pack, it does look nice. But having a free version of the ladder is even nicer!

• BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    Is this some kind of out-of-season April fool's joke?

(I know this quote is from some kind of game event in real life, not trying to claim this as my original quote, just thought it would fit well here haha)
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Here are some packs off the top of my head that I know people would love:

-A pack focused on love and chemistry. Bring back a new and improved chemistry system, blind dates, online dating, etc.

This is what I want the most. Romance is so empty in this game. To add to what you mentioned, I'd love to see them separate the romance (and friendship levels) for individual sims in a relationship. So, for example, a sim could have very high romance level with their spouse, but maybe their spouse's romance level towards them is low. There's more I'd like to see in a love/relationships themed pack, but I don't want to derail the thread too much.
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    ...chickens are the only part that MAY interest me..but >.< Please stop with the cringe songs in our sims ads...please...the music almost ruined it entirely for me.

EDIT : WAIT THOSE AREN'T CHICKS?! in that case NEVERMIND not getting it at all.

because I'm not digging through 12+ pages to find the answer...if those weren't baby chicks, what were they? Now I'm frightened.
    Pegasys wrote: »

Agreed. They could have left conservation out of IL and left that for this pack, giving IL more room to have... actual mermaid gameplay.
    Ladders! That is all.

Thanks for sharing this! Good to know, and a huge relief.