Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Tell Your Parents...

Comments

• beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    I don't discuss gaming in general with non-gamers. It's a subject they, obviously, have no interest in, and that's typically due to them thinking gaming is a selfish and wasteful pursuit. It's funny, these are the same people who believe we should spend billions on building a giant stadium that serves no purpose than to watch adults get paid millions to play games, and unless you keep up with these meaningless pursuits you have no community spirit. Oh, and we've no money to support the poor or sick, so they all should either leave town or die, because they just can't think of where they should pull that money from. Community spirit my 🐸🐸🐸🐸. And they think I'm selfish.

When it comes to The Sims...even with fellow gamers I don't discuss it unless they also are into The Sims. Even in the gaming community, it's generally looked down upon even though it's one of the most popular games out there. For example; if you were to post in a forum on a website that is for gaming overall (e.g.- a site that reviews/discusses all manner of games) that your favorite game is The Sims, you will be bombarded with insults. I have a group of gamers I talk with online almost every night and most nights we all are playing different games, and even this group of close friends make fun of me whenever they see I'm playing The Sims. In fact, they've even shown concern that they feel I've been playing it too much and should consider playing something else.

So, how is this possible? How could it be that one of the most popular games (that therefore should have one of the largest communities in the gaming community) is so openly disregarded by the rest of the gaming community?

Three main reasons;
    1. Most people that play The Sims do not participate in the gaming community, and therefore are not vocal.
    2. Most people that do not play The Sims do not enjoy it, because they are stupid.
    3. Stupid people tend to be incredibly vocal.

Now, what do I mean by "stupid". These are people that think The Sims is only fun when you're torturing or killing them, They play once where they create a swimming pool, lure other sims into it, watch them drown, and then get bored. These are people that hate most role-playing-games because "there's too much reading". They're not interested in plots or stories, and because of this they tend to skip all cut-scenes and then complain when they don't know what's going on. Give them a game where they are expected to use their imagination to explain it's meaning (e.g. Flower, Journey, etc.), and they will "not get it", get quickly bored, and delete the game as "lame".

Let's now consider how most people in these forums play The Sims. They are creating households where each sim has their own backstory. Combining these backstories they are creating a whole new story as events occur. They are creating, inventing, and maybe even discovering aspects of themselves in the process.

Stupid people don't create. They don't invent. They've no interest in discovering anything, because they want someone else to do that and have the discovery handed to them in as few words as possible. They most certainly don't bother trying to discover anything new about themselves, because they feel they already know everything. When dealing with these people I keep reminding myself of a quote I heard a long time ago...

"The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people."
    -Stephen Hawking

• KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    @beadierturtle your post is pure gold
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    To be honest, I wouldn't be interested in talking about the game in the extent of what my Sims are doing lol. While I love to play it, I can't say I'd want to recall the details of the game any more than I would if I had just played a game of backgammon or chutes and ladders lol. It just doesn't make for interesting conversation to me haha.
    And yet, I don't mind once in awhile on here, but even that I don't tend to talk much about my personal save files, more about game updates etc. And I kinda think of these forums as an expansion to the game lol.

But yeah, my parents wouldn't understand one bit so no I don't.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    As a 30 year old person.. Uhm No.
  • CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Being over 40 years old, my mother still tries to "parent-shame" me for enjoying playing computer games, specifically sims. Whenever I mention it to her (we live separately, nearly an hour apart), she likes to "tsk" me and shake her head shamefully. It has zero effect on me. She has past times and hobbies that have zero interest to me. The only difference is, I don't try to shame her for hers.

Having said that, I don't go in detail or anything with her as to what happens in my game and such. Most I'll say to her is, "I'm so excited. Sims has a new pack releasing in ____ days!" And, I might say a few details about the pack releasing.

But, considering I'm an grown adult, living in my own home with my husband and one child (still at home), my husband and child(ren) do hear about my game(s) often. I share every aspect of my games with my husband and daughter still at home. My two grown sons, that live in their own homes, hear more than my mother (being gamers themselves) but less than husband and daughter.
    This I relate to! My mom parent shamed me when I was a teenager and told me I was too old for a kids’ game! It’s rated Teen. Do you let young kids watch PG13 movies? It took her years and her second daughter playing the game to realize it’s not just for kids, so me being the oldest got the short end of the stick. She still says it’s like Barbies for teens and adults, which I agree to an extent.

I tell my fiancé about the game and he watches me play sometimes. We have a good laugh talking about the Sims’ antics, but he’s more interested in adventure games than simulation.
    My mum would try to parent shame me for it, but she doesn't know about it since I haven't lived at home in ten years. My toddler told on me lol so she kinda knows but she thinks it's a 'barely ever" type thing when I'm passing time waiting for something or whatever. I'm good with that.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    It's weird that people are so anti-gaming, and especially anti-sims, yet will spend hours and hours watching TV. I'd much rather do something active on a screen than just sit and watch all night long.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Nah. My mom doesn't really care about my hobbies or my career goals. Even trying to talk to her about anything I enjoy is like talking to a brick wall...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    It's weird that people are so anti-gaming, and especially anti-sims, yet will spend hours and hours watching TV. I'd much rather do something active on a screen than just sit and watch all night long.

I agree so very much with this. I rarely watch tv. Oh, sure, there are shows I like and I'll dvr them and eventually get to watching them (never mind I'm behind this entire season of Supernatural, and still haven't found time to start watching it), but I'd rather spend my free time playing a game. Which is why my shows have several that I need to catch up on, but probably will only get about one episode every few days watched.
    p8L4V6v.png
    ChelleJo wrote: »

I agree so very much with this. I rarely watch tv. Oh, sure, there are shows I like and I'll dvr them and eventually get to watching them (never mind I'm behind this entire season of Supernatural, and still haven't found time to start watching it), but I'd rather spend my free time playing a game. Which is why my shows have several that I need to catch up on, but probably will only get about one episode every few days watched.

I rarely watch tv too, the same people I've heard say games are a waste watch tv daily... makes no sense to me! I watch tv/movies probably once every 3 months max and that's the very max, I've easily gone a year or two without turning the tv on at times.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member

I've tried so many times to explain my gaming to people who are not into games. And this the argument I'm making. I ask them: "how many hours of TV do you watch every night? Every week?" They never have a good reply for me, but claim that the two are not the same.

Its the same people who claim people you meet online are not real friends. I ask them to tell that to my bestie that I've known for 20 years, since we met online and kept it online for 3 years before we met. People are narrow minded and can't see beyond their own limited sphere.
  • kayen_keagenkayen_keagen Posts: 53 Member
    I am a 29 year old. Been a sims fan since I was 11-12 years old. At that time my parents didn’t care, I’d ask them to buy sims games for me and they didn’t question. Up to this day they know that I still play the game but they aren’t interested. It doesn’t bother me. Growing up I never talked about it with anyone cause I don’t want them to think I’m weird or something. That is until I got with my husband. He likes to play sims too.. the console version. So we’d talk about all the things that had happened in our games and I shared what mods I have and the crazy things that happen. My kids sometimes get into it. They make fun of the language or the way townies dress. But overall I’m glad this forum is made so it makes me feel like I am not alone in the sim world.
    Kathykins wrote: »

I've tried so many times to explain my gaming to people who are not into games. And this the argument I'm making. I ask them: "how many hours of TV do you watch every night? Every week?" They never have a good reply for me, but claim that the two are not the same.

Its the same people who claim people you meet online are not real friends. I ask them to tell that to my bestie that I've known for 20 years, since we met online and kept it online for 3 years before we met. People are narrow minded and can't see beyond their own limited sphere.

Agreed on both counts. I've met some of my online friends in real life, some of whom live in other countries, and my family just cannot comprehend that they count as real friendships.

I've never really been that into TV anyway. These days I hardly ever binge shows, and even then I'll inevitably get bored and be looking at internet stuff, or writing, or playing Sims at the same time. I can only usually concentrate for a couple of hours on most shows before I need to do something else. The internet basically destroyed my ability to focus! Even as a child, though, before the internet took control of our lives I was not that fussed about watching TV all the time. Whereas with some games, I can keep going for hours and hours. Sure, I might take a break to look at stuff online, and if it's a Sims game you can usually let the sims keep living their lives while you do that, but I think the interactivity of games means I am more engaged because I have to actually make stuff happen whereas with TV my mind wanders more often.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    No, I don't tell anyone I play The Sims. My parents don't really care about what happens in my real life, I think they'd care even less if I talked to them about a computer game! It means I can keep playing and getting lost in it without it being ruined by their shaming comments though :)
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

Not really all that weird. I mean my mother does sewing project. I play video games or listen to an audio book. It is just how people relax. My grandmother can sit and just watch the tv for hours, but she is also almost 85 years old. She sees me or my kids gaming and knows it to be a hobby.

Not really all that weird. I mean my mother does sewing project. I play video games or listen to an audio book. It is just how people relax. My grandmother can sit and just watch the tv for hours, but she is also almost 85 years old. She sees me or my kids gaming and knows it to be a hobby.

They aren't saying it's weird they have different hobbies, they are saying it's weird that people shame gamers and say how terrible gaming is but think it's okay to watch tv for hours.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @beadierturtle I'm glad that I'm able to enjoy a viariety of games, yet admittedly, I too am a bit judgemental when it comes to certain genres. Just not The Sims and RPGs in general, but that's probably because they lend to and spark my creativity and imagination. Blasting other players in a shooter, doesn't really and leave me cold. Those are more social games and I for sure ain't social (...much). Also, I share your observations - especially regarding your third point.

I don't talk about my gaming life much among my family (husband's, my own is non-existing). The ones my age are busy raising kids and with other worldly concerns. My parent-in-laws are way too old school to understand what gaming really is. Again, they're highly grounded in the real world and all its concerns (work, social life, various home projects, etc.). My hubby and I are more introverted; he's a software engineer as well as a gamer himself. We don't share a whole lot, however, when it comes to what type of games we prefer :-/

Like someone else said, I couldn't spend my day watching television. I almost never watch TV unless it's some educational program or something specific of interest that I cast from Netflix or HBO. I require something interactive. Otherwise my intellect would decline.

Great quote by Mr Hawking! I have a good one from Albert Einstein - 'Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.'

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

They aren't saying it's weird they have different hobbies, they are saying it's weird that people shame gamers and say how terrible gaming is but think it's okay to watch tv for hours.

Yes, exactly! I don't find it weird that people have different hobbies, but I do find it weird that gaming is so often seen as less worthwhile than watching TV. Not only that, but a lot of people who are actually gamers think that Sims games are somehow "lesser" than RPGs, action games and others.
    Well, maybe people don't consider the different aspects of The Sims and only think of them as "dress up and get pregnant" games mostly played by teenage girls.

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

Yes, exactly! I don't find it weird that people have different hobbies, but I do find it weird that gaming is so often seen as less worthwhile than watching TV. Not only that, but a lot of people who are actually gamers think that Sims games are somehow "lesser" than RPGs, action games and others.

My kids consider it a virtual dollhouse, as do I. I do play other video games that are more engaging and require more thought.

My kids consider it a virtual dollhouse, as do I. I do play other video games that are more engaging and require more thought.

I would consider it a virtual dollhouse but I can't imagine a game that requires more thought on my part... I write novels and short stories and use my Sims to recreate the stories haha. I def. put more thought into the game then others, mostly because I love it the most. The funny thing is, I had 0 interest in playing dolls as a kid haha! I was always a reader/writer and enjoyed creating stories but dolls themselves I couldn't be bothered with
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    @beadierturtle
    When I explain what sims is to non-gamers or non-players, one response stuck out: "so its dolls catered to adults?" (Rofl) But I can see where they're coming from. They need to make connections to what they know, and that's pretty much spot on for them given what they know, or dont know.

I agree, games that use intense/adrenalin pumping hooks make the most noise and are regarded as 'staple' or 'cool'. Sims attract the thoughtful kind of gamers that are not going to scream at their pc. So im not surprised the gaming community don't understand sim players at all.

@Nindigo
    I'm on the opposite end. If I'm not playing sims I'm blasting other players in a shooter. FPS is my outlet for escapism and stress relieving. (I have a stressful job) I enjoy the simplicity, precision, and strategising to take down the opposing team. I don't enjoy the social aspects of it either though. Partly because its 2020 and some still act stupid when they hear a female voice in an fps game.

Sims is my outlet for creativity. I love storytelling. Bt I'm the kind of simmer who cannot let bad stuff happen to my gameplay sims.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I tell my husband all the time what is going on especially when there is drama. My mom not so much. I tried to explain raids in WoW and that was a process. I don’t even bother with the sims but she knows I play the sims.
  • Gothoholic18Gothoholic18 Posts: 71 Member
    I do sometimes, but they just drown me out.
    @mercuryfoam Well, my hubby uses shooters the same way as you do, so that aspect at least is not alien to me. He tends to play with friends though. Personally, I would rather hop into my hunting game and enjoy some quiet and beautiful nature and perhaps get a perfect shot at something before it turns around and attacks me :D I'm female too.

I think it's sad that we can't always share our interests with "loved" ones for fear that we will be judged. That's got nothing to do with love. At least my husband's family respects our gaming interests and accept them even if they don't understand them - I mean, they've had to, because their nerdy son has done very well for himself in life doing what he does. So, maybe gaming and computers are of a strange world to them - but, might I add, they do know who to call if they need IT support. 'Cause calling their son saves them money.