Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Tell Your Parents...

Comments

• Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Nope as no-one in my family understands why I still like playing computer games. Even people at work find it amusing at times so I don’t discuss it with them. I only have one friend who is a huge sims fan who I talk to about it but not that often as we are usually busy catching up on other stuff.
  • Options
    mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    My mom no. My siblings know im a sim fan and are supportive. My partner found it funny at first that I still play a game that Ive played since 12, (he cycles through his games in a flash) but ever since I started writing sim stories, he became my biggest simming cheerleader. He'll ask me when is the next sims story is up and gets flustered if I tease him with spoilers. Got mopey when i accidentally spoiled it once. 🤣
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    Simple answer, sometimes. Though my Mum and I have spent a little time in lockdown playing the same Sim side by side.
    She’s not quite as into the game as I can get.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited April 2020
    Being over 40 years old, my mother still tries to "parent-shame" me for enjoying playing computer games, specifically sims. Whenever I mention it to her (we live separately, nearly an hour apart), she likes to "tsk" me and shake her head shamefully. It has zero effect on me. She has past times and hobbies that have zero interest to me. The only difference is, I don't try to shame her for hers.

Having said that, I don't go in detail or anything with her as to what happens in my game and such. Most I'll say to her is, "I'm so excited. Sims has a new pack releasing in ____ days!" And, I might say a few details about the pack releasing.

But, considering I'm an grown adult, living in my own home with my husband and one child (still at home), my husband and child(ren) do hear about my game(s) often. I share every aspect of my games with my husband and daughter still at home. My two grown sons, that live in their own homes, hear more than my mother (being gamers themselves) but less than husband and daughter.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited April 2020
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Being over 40 years old, my mother still tries to "parent-shame" me for enjoying playing computer games, specifically sims.

My mom doesn't shame me exactly, but she definitely thinks its a waste of time. I just remind myself that it just seems that way to her because she didn't have it. Ours was the first generation to grow up with home video games (I'm 41). Now, my own kids, it's just a normal daily thing and has been since they were babies. They think I'm perfectly normal. And I'm sure they appreciate that I show interest in what they are doing to some degree, even when it's games I don't also play.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Yeah, I'll talk about Sims with anyone who will listen. My mom especially thinks it's a nice touch that Grim has a tablet to make sure he has the right Sim. She also found it fascinating that one of my sims was abducted by aliens 6 times and two resulted in him getting pregnant. She always chuckles when I tell her about the ridiculousness my sims get into.

My sister also enjoys seeing my newest builds and has even inspired a couple.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    edited April 2020
    No, both of my parents died some time ago. I do drag my husband into it sometimes. He listens patiently but looks at me like I'm nuts.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I don't have parents. I tell nobody about my game except you lucky people! :smiley:
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I do, but I have to wait for seances on either of the solstices, when the veil of aetherius is thin. It may be difficult to give them an update on my sims this year due to less reliable supply lines of eye-of-newt due to the Covid-19 outbreak. My fallback plan is carrier pigeon.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    No. I don't live with them. My dad lives abroad with his new wife so I get to see him like twice or three times a year. I actually haven't seen him since like Spetember. And my mom lives like 50km away, which is a long distance in my country, so I don't get to see her often as well. I used to tell my husband but our marriage is basically over so I don't share such things with him. Such a weird life I have :D
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited April 2020
    I tell my husband, and he often looks at me funny. :D I told him about my recent story of a sim couple breaking up because one of them flirted with Servo, and he laughed pretty hard.

He has a creative eye though. He helped me design the home for my spellcaster. I'm rubbish at building, so he looks at my builds and gives me ideas :smiley:

Back in the day when Sims 1 came out my parents didn't know what it was. I think I was about 15 when it came out and I played it a lot. They didn't really care to be honest.

It's great to get lost in the Sims. Its great escapism, especially at this time. :smile:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I used to not mention things like gaming much to my parents. Mom thought it was a waste of time, like just about anything that didn't come with a financial return. I did tell Dad though, now that I've found out that he's a lot more chill about things than I had assumed for years.

But, I'm 40, I only mention gaming in general infrequently. My daughter, on the other hand, has fallen down the Sims rabbit hole (she's a teen) and loves telling me what happens in her gameplay, what she's building, etc. It's one of the things we bond over since we both play.
  • Options
    LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    My parents know I play, and it amuses them but I don't talk to them about it as I usually talk about other things since we all live apart. My boyfriend knows I play and I don't think he really understands how I can get so invested into the game. I talk to him about it, albeit very briefly as he doesn't have much patience for video games... :|
  • Options
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    I have mentioned it to my Mom a few times. She at least thinks the house building/decorating is neat. But anything else and she looks at me like "Are you for real?" xD
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    not that much but I recently suggested dad to play sims cause he is bored and got his leg injured so he don't have much to do
    I was explaining him that he could build houses and whatever and he was like ''so I could build cool garage''
    to which i had to disappoint him and say there is no cars or garage items which resulted to dad saying the game is dumb :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I share what I do in my Sims 4 game with my daughter. She plays Sims 4 also. As for my Mom, she can't relate because she's not into computers & PC gaming.
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Nope, my mom and dad have never understood me for playing games 'cause according to them, they are for children and a waste of time. Though they constantly play Candy Crush, Gardenscapes, etc. on Facebook.

Thankfully my partner is into gaming, so I can talk to him what happened in Sims today :smiley:

Even though my parents have been unsupportive about me playing games I still love them both so much. I haven't seen them in weeks since the you-know-what :cry:
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    [quote="SeaDragonSong;c-17467479"]I usually share what happens in my game with anyone who will listen lol.[/quote]

Same!
    Apparently I had told the baristas at my coffee place about my family problems with aliens abductions and the husband being pregnant because a couple of days later they asked “how is the alien baby doing?” 😅
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited April 2020
    Im already 31 and my parents mocke me for playing Sims :/ , so no!

By the way, I always read "do you yell at your parents" in the title :D
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    HecqHecq Posts: 35 Member
    No, otherwise I will be immediately taken to a psychiatric hospital
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Hecq wrote: »
    No, otherwise I will be immediately taken to a psychiatric hospital
    ...Why? Gaming is a normal hobby nowadays. You realize millions of people play The Sims daily - young, old, rich and poor alike. Do they/we belong in the hospital as well? I would ask your parents that very question if I were you ;)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    When I first got the game, I did. But back then I was really young. Nowadays I keep what happens in my games to myself and I only talk about it with my friends sometimes.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Yes and sometimes she laughs other times I think she couldn’t care less.😆
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My elderly dad wouldn't get it, but I do routinely keep my older sister posted. She's an enthusiastic armchair observer. She's having me over for a tour of my game for her birthday in fact - we've both isolated for a month, and it's overdue.