Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any recommendable descent virus vaccine?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
edited March 2020 in Off Topic Chat
Hi, I've been thinking of getting a new virus vaccine software. Recently, I feel something bad on my computer after getting a couple of ads from Ad fly while trying to download sims CC, just one CC shirt. The computer screen goes black and back on for a couple of secs randomly. I used Windows Defender for full scan but it keeps saying nothing has been detected. I'm even not sure this symptom comes from the old system or any bad spywares. So is there any good and descent virus vaccine? I'm ready to pay for the vaccine if it works better with Pro versions. All helps are appreciated. Thank you. :)

My computer spec is i7 7700 3.6 Ghz 16 GB ram

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Norton Internet Security is my fav.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2020
    Norton Internet Security, as DeKay recommended is a good Antivirus Software. I would recommend however that you should never download cc from adfly as the site is flagged as unsafe. Norton will protect you from it but also heavily recommend you not to visit it.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @DeKay @logion

Thank you for the recommendation. Is there a free version for that? or ..which one works better if there's the paid version? Is it light or heavy? Can it catch any ransom virus too? Yea I know I usually skip there but I was being crazy with only one nice shirt item this time.
  • Options
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    DeKay logion

Thank you for the recommendation. Is there a free version for that? or ..which one works better if there's the paid version? Is it light or heavy? Can it catch any ransom virus too? Yea I know I usually skip there but I was being crazy with only one nice shirt item this time.

I don't think there is a free version for Norton, nor do they have free trials for desktop anymore.

I suggest going for the Internet Security one cuz it's one if the cheapest and has good enough features. And probably the lightest one.

Like you can run scans obviously, and you can also enable some browser extensions where it will show a green tick if the site is good and a red X beside it if it's not. This indication also shows up on a Google search so you can know before you even click on the link.

And if the site is really bad, it will totally block you from viewing it unless you still choose to proceed.

I'm not so sure what you mean about random virus, but viruses almost always come from things you download so if something has malware, Norton can detect it and stop the download as well unless you choose to proceed. Sometimes it might even straightaway delete the file from your computer before you can even choose anything. 😂

But whatever software you use, just don't use McAfee. That's the worst anti virus software I've ever seen. My school computers back then always use those and whenever I use my thumb drive to save something on their computer or whatever, and then transfer it to my computer, Norton will detect a virus and I would have to throw the thumb drive away cuz I ain't risking nothing. 😂
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    @DeKay @logion

Norton Internet Security is not free because it is subscription based, standard version is fine, that gives you protection for one PC for one year, after one year you have to renew it. Some might argue that it's costly but it's the only way if you want a protection that is up to date.
    I assume with ransom viruses you mean things that locks your computer, yes it protects you from that, however you should of course never install unknown programs from e-mail etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @DeKay,

Thanks for detailed information. :D Yes at least, I want to get something better than Windows defender. I meant Ransom virus which encrypt your all files and lock them, and ask for the money, otherwise the hacker won't unlock the files. I know McAfee is like another type of malware LOL.. instead antivirus ... It's not trustworthy as it always try to offer for free with Adobe Flash Player update. I decided to get the norton one. Actually, I didn't trust Norton because I used it long long time ago, and it was not that good at that time. But I confirmed Norton internet security is on top of the best 10 antivirus list on google.

@logion

Thanks, yea I know. I was stupid. :'( I wouldn't accept that ad fly any more. I already had a nasty virus from it a few years ago and luckily, my avast premiere was able to cure it. I was lucky at that time. The payment is not bad for protecting 1 device, so I decided to get it. Thank you for good advice and info. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @DeKay @logion

Hi I have a question about scanning. Isn't there a full virus scan in Norton Internet Security?
    I tried Quick scan and it says No Threats found but a couple of mins ago, I experienced black screen and come back symptom again 2 times. Have no idea what to do. Maybe, it's not a virus issue but computer system?
  • Options
    @DeKay @logion

Hi I have a question about scanning. Isn't there a full virus scan in Norton Internet Security?
    I tried Quick scan and it says No Threats found but a couple of mins ago, I experienced black screen and come back symptom again 2 times. Have no idea what to do. Maybe, it's not a virus issue but computer system?

It could be a lot of things, I would suggest google for the problems you are experiencing. It could be that your computer screen is failing, or that your cables are loose or not working properly. Try another screen or other cables to see if the problem stays.

It could also be that your graphics card is failing, you could try updating the drivers.

You could also try and check the event viewer in windows to see if windows logged something when your black screen occurred, if your graphics card is failing windows often makes a log of it.

And yes, you can do a full scan with Norton Internet Security.
  • Options
    Hello, do try to use the Power Eraser tool: https://us.norton.com/support/tools/npe.html

If the problem still persists, UNINSTALL all Norton products.

Then download the free trial version of Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

and run a test scan and see if it detects anything.
    Malwarebytes is more finicky and will even pick up files that aren't even malware or a virus so just run thru the diagnostics and see which files you think could be the cause of the problem.

https://youtu.be/9Zes-SLN2Ow

After that's done, see if you get the black screen. If the problem is gone, then reinstall Norton again.

Hope this helps.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    @logion

Thanks, I will try the graphics card update. I can't do the test with other monitor as having no spare monitor left and my computer is I mac. I'm running Windows10 on Bootcamp. :) But I cannot find the option for the full scan in norton.

@DeKay,
    Thanks, I will try your tip first, then if there' s no threat found, then I will try the graphics card driver update. :)
  • Options
    On my Norton Internet Security, Full Scan is located in Security, Scans, Full System Scan.
  • Options
    Yeah, the full scan option is kinda hidden. XD
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    logion wrote: »
    On my Norton Internet Security, Full Scan is located in Security, Scans, Full System Scan.

Thanks. With your help, I was able to scan my computer fully but it said 'No Threats Found', so a minute ago, I updated my graphic card driver. I will see in a day or two the symptom is still going on or not. If it still goes on, then I will follow the Power Eraser tool which @DeKay suggested. :) Always thanks to you all.! :)

• Options
    @DeKay @logion

Thanks for all help. I've been feeling very safe with the vaccine so far. I haven't had the symptom until now, so graphics driver update was the best solution for me. I appreciate your all help. Thanks one more time. :)
  • Options
    That's great! :)
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    DeKay wrote: »
    Hello, do try to use the Power Eraser tool: https://us.norton.com/support/tools/npe.html

Then download the free trial version of Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Malwarebytes is more finicky and will even pick up files that aren't even malware or a virus so just run thru the diagnostics and see which files you think could be the cause of the problem.

After that's done, see if you get the black screen. If the problem is gone, then reinstall Norton again.

Hope this helps.

First of all, I want to say, Thank you. The symptom started to be shown a couple of days later again since I updated my graphic driver. Finally, I installed the Malarebytes last week you recommended, it detected about 10 things in 2 times. I ran this last week and so far, my computer is completely Fine. You saved my computer. :D I was planning to erase and re install the whole windows but I saved my time too!

I have another question though. Is this malwarebytes ok to keep on my computer with Norton or should I have to pick only one? Because I don't have any problem with Malwarebytes but I felt like I wasted money for Norton. So I want to keep both because Norton didn't detect anything when I ran the full scan. So I think Malwarebyte maybe detect different type of virus which Norton can't.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    DeKay wrote: »

Hope this helps.

First of all, I want to say, Thank you. The symptom started to be shown a couple of days later again since I updated my graphic driver. Finally, I installed the Malarebytes last week you recommended, it detected about 10 things in 2 times. I ran this last week and so far, my computer is completely Fine. You saved my computer. :D I was planning to erase and re install the whole windows but I saved my time too!

I have another question though. Is this malwarebytes ok to keep on my computer with Norton or should I have to pick only one? Because I don't have any problem with Malwarebytes but I felt like I wasted money for Norton. So I want to keep both because Norton didn't detect anything when I ran the full scan. So I think Malwarebyte maybe detect different type of virus which Norton can't.

You can only keep one. It's up to you which one you want to keep. But I took out Malwarebytes cuz it was warning me about every small little thing that it got annoying. But for Norton, it will prevent you from downloading any fishy stuff/malware from now onwards, so you should be safe with Norton as well. Just make sure you turn on the safe web extension from Norton on your web browser, so that if you accidentally clicked on a link that is not safe, it would give you a warning.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @DeKay,
    Thanks for the good tip. Yes I recognized the malware bytes auto scan everyday and show the results. Luckily, since all the threats were removed, it doesn't show additional ones but I think I can install the Norton back too. :smiley:
    Hope always stay safe around corona virus. I'm not allowed to go out anywhere without any reasonable urgent issue where I'm staying. We can enjoy Sims at home. :D
  • Options
    That's great. I'm glad all the threats are removed now. :) Norton usually scans everyday as well or when you have your computer on idle, tho it doesn't show results unless there's something to warn you about.
    x3vZicL.gif