Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BRING BACK SIMS 2.... BUT AS SIMS 5......

1235...Next

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    YES (AGREE)
    As long as it is possible to play rotationally. That's why I sometimes like The Sims 4 more than The Sims 3. The Sims 3 requires mods to play rotationally without any problems (like retired or unemployed sims getting jobs and game deleting sims because there's too many etc).
    The main reason I also like The Sims 2 is rotational play. That game is like meant to be played rotationally. However, the problems I find in The Sims 2 usually involve things like it's easy to corrupt neighborhoods, hard to fill community lots with objects, families must share the last name unless they're college students etc.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited March 2020
    YES (AGREE)
    Yes. Sims 2 was a great game and I miss it. They can update it, make some changes and add new packs but bring back the gameplay mechanics with Sims 4 CAS and world hopping (travel and move to any world at anytime). I don't see Sims 5 bringing something completely new as everything had been done and not everything worked; but they can improve and expand on old ones. Even Final Fantasy VII is getting a remake, why not Sims 2? It's a beloved classic.

We don't need another Sims 3, it is barely playable for many. Nobody wants to buy a game that crashes, freezes, lags, etc....and takes forever to load with files boating like crazy which makes it hard to play longer than one or two generations at best. Couldn't travel to a vacation world or university without the file getting too big.

It barely works on Windows 10. It lags so much and glitches a lot. It needs to be updated.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    NO (DISAGREE)
    I'm not too fond of this idea. Open world might be nice sometimes, but it means we probably can't travel between worlds as easily as in TS4. Also, as much as I like the game, open world was the main cause of issues for many sims 3 players. They'd have to tune it much better to get it working properly, something I just can't trust eaxis with. And oh god please, no story progression. I deactivated it in TS3 because it's just a nightmare to play rotationally in. And even with story progression off, there's still unwanted things happening to other households which is just tedious to fix every time I change households.

They should either make working toggles a thing again in TS5 or just not release it. If there are no options, it will only attract certain types of players, those who like open world and story progression, just as TS4 did with its closed worlds. Or rather, they should fix their already existing game instead of moving to the next when they think it's done. They left TS3 a buggy mess after stopping development on it, with some bugs not being fixed even to this day. I'd hate it if they'd do the same to TS4.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    NO (DISAGREE)
    I want Sims 5 to take inspiration from Sims 1-4; Sims 5 needs to be its own unique game,not Sims 2 all over again. Besides,it would not make ANY sense for Sims 2 to be called Sims 5. It would need to be called "Sims 2: Re-release". This would be like Ninteno re-releasing "Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" and calling it "All-new adventures of Link.";it would just be the exact same "Majora's Mask" game that would have people scratching their heads and wondering why "Majora's Mask" was re-released with "All new adventures of Link".

Let Sims 5 be its own unique game,and let Sims 2 just remain as Sims 2. I liked the Sims 2 as well,but I will NOT buy Sims 5 if it's a re-hash of Sims 2. I want Sims 5 to be new and different from all the other Sims games.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    NO (DISAGREE)
    EgonVM wrote: »
    As long as it is possible to play rotationally. That's why I sometimes like The Sims 4 more than The Sims 3. The Sims 3 requires mods to play rotationally without any problems (like retired or unemployed sims getting jobs and game deleting sims because there's too many etc).

Actually, if you turn off EA's story progression and don't put mods into the game, it will play exactly like a TS2 game that rotational players want. With no story progression from EA or mods, there is no dating for single sims, no cheating between married sims, jobless sims remain jobless, those with jobs stay in their jobs and no skilling up, no babies too, no immigration and no culling. What most TS3 simmers do when playing rotationally is turn off aging and age up sims individually as determined by what stories or task the simmer has for the person in that stage of life. You control the population of the town so that the population is always the amount of sims you can handle. It will also leave it up to you to keep the generations going through births or immigrating in new sims.

That's why it is such a great game for colony challenges/stories (especially after an apocalypse challenge has wiped out most everyone in the town except your actives, making them the founders of the new town) where you get to develop and grow an entire town from scratch and control each generation, what careers they have, who they marry, how many kids, etc.

I wish people would stop repeating false information about TS3. It just makes other people miss out on the fun things it can actually do!
    edited April 2020
    NO (DISAGREE)

Actually, if you turn off EA's story progression and don't put mods into the game, it will play exactly like a TS2 game that rotational players want. With no story progression from EA or mods, there is no dating for single sims, no cheating between married sims, jobless sims remain jobless, those with jobs stay in their jobs and no skilling up, no babies too, no immigration and no culling. What most TS3 simmers do when playing rotationally is turn off aging and age up sims individually as determined by what stories or task the simmer has for the person in that stage of life. You control the population of the town so that the population is always the amount of sims you can handle. It will also leave it up to you to keep the generations going through births or immigrating in new sims.

That's why it is such a great game for colony challenges/stories (especially after an apocalypse challenge has wiped out most everyone in the town except your actives, making them the founders of the new town) where you get to develop and grow an entire town from scratch and control each generation, what careers they have, who they marry, how many kids, etc.

I wish people would stop repeating false information about TS3. It just makes other people miss out on the fun things it can actually do!

Which mods exactly would cause story progression to still happen despite having it deactivated in the settings (except Nraas story progression, which I don't have) @ClarionOfJoy ? Because I have the exact problem that jobless sims still get jobs while I am not playing them despite having EA story progression deactivated in the settings.

I like to build stuff
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited April 2020
    NO (DISAGREE)
    And yet, the person you quoted is right. If the number of sims in a certain job isn't enough compared to the game's standards, they will pick sims to fill the role fo colleagues. June Shallow is vanilla unemployed, Yet I often find her as a business colleague. I hadn't case of deleted sims, but that's not because it didn't happen to me that it doesn't exist.

See what 'false information' do via the post above.

Huiiie, it's a vanilla feature. One way I know to prevent that is to use the 'Awesomemod' and use the 'Bless' feature on a household. Those sims won't be picked to fill random colleague roles.
    Post edited by Dijktafone on
    NO (DISAGREE)
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

Which mods exactly would cause story progression to still happen despite having it deactivated in the settings (except Nraas story progression, which I don't have) @ClarionOfJoy ? Because I have the exact problem that jobless sims still get jobs while I am not playing them despite having EA story progression deactivated in the settings.

The game will give some sims jobs if the worlds needs those jobs filled even without story progression, like policemen, bartenders, etc. especially when there's no immigration in order for that town to simulate town life.

NO (DISAGREE)
    Thanks @Dijktafone, I am gonna check out Awesomemod next time. I think it's pretty weird for the game to fill job positions with sims that directly live in the neighborhood, especially since every premade neighborhood comes with homeless townies who would be perfect to fill these roles, but oh well.

I like to build stuff
    NO (DISAGREE)
    I know right? To prevent that, I have to select an unemployed sim as the first household (generally they don't need colleagues!), then 'bless'
    all those I don't want sims belonging to them to be draged by force into a job. Also, non controlled sims will by default gain work performance based upon what they'd earn if you controlled them, and even be promoted, without the story-progression on.
    NO (DISAGREE)
    Thanks @Dijktafone, I am gonna check out Awesomemod next time. I think it's pretty weird for the game to fill job positions with sims that directly live in the neighborhood, especially since every premade neighborhood comes with homeless townies who would be perfect to fill these roles, but oh well.

Homeless sims in each town fill the jobs such as maids, newspaper delivery, pizza delivery, etc. They don't fill the career jobs. It's just a matter of understanding how the game was developed. You can try asking the devs why they made it this way.

NO (DISAGREE)

@Huiiie_07 - You don't really need mods either if you don't want any of the sims in your town to work until you play them. I know you want to play rotationally, but what are your plans for this particular playthrough?
    NO (DISAGREE)

Homeless sims in each town fill the jobs such as maids, newspaper delivery, pizza delivery, etc. They don't fill the career jobs. It's just a matter of understanding how the game was developed. You can try asking the devs why they made it this way.

But homeless sims do fill some career jobs like firefighter, stylist or tattoo-artist. Especially firefighters (the profession, not the NPCs) get constantly drawn from homeless sims, but not exclusively. True, things like pizza delivery, maids etc get only filled by homeless NPCs, but those are already programmed to do these specific jobs, since every EA world has their own premade service NPCs. Homeless sims without these preprogrammed roles though start off unemployed and get often used for either things like bartenders or pianists, as an example. The problem is the professions like firefighters and stylist. Even though the game occasionally uses homeless sims to fill these roles, it's sims from inactive households that for some reason often get assigned these jobs as well, even when story progression is disabled in the options.

@Huiiie_07 - You don't really need mods either if you don't want any of the sims in your town to work until you play them. I know you want to play rotationally, but what are your plans for this particular playthrough?

Apparently I do, since my unemployed sims from inactive households get constantly assigned firefighter or stylist despite story progression being disabled. Sure, it makes sense from a technical perspective, since the game needs these roles to be filled, but is it really so hard to just limit it to homeless sims? It is, apparently, and that's why I need mods to fix this for me. As for my plans, I had a sim in a household I wanted to be unemployed until he was done with university, however, anytime I would switch to another household, the game would constantly assign him a firefighter and I always had him to quit his job every single time I switched back to his household. Now that he has the job I originally wanted for him, the problem is solved, but it will certainly come back should I ever decide to have an unemployed sim in my rotation again. Without mods, it seems to be completely impossible to have a permanently unemployed sim in a rotation because they constantly get assigned jobs by themselves despite story progression being disabled in the options.

I like to build stuff
    NO (DISAGREE)
    Aaaah 'Ambitions' firefighters. Does anybody works actively as one in your town? If not, you just taught me that without mods, they will fill this profession on its own. In my most recent game, nobody has been assigned a firefighter, probably thanks to mods. But yes the stylist role will be filled by a premade townie. The 'Nraas register' can even let you decide who will this be. With this set (awesomemod+Nraas register), I didn't have any selectable sim become one for a very very long time, so you'll be safe.
    edited April 2020
    NO (DISAGREE)

But homeless sims do fill some career jobs like firefighter, stylist or tattoo-artist. Especially firefighters (the profession, not the NPCs) get constantly drawn from homeless sims, but not exclusively. True, things like pizza delivery, maids etc get only filled by homeless NPCs, but those are already programmed to do these specific jobs, since every EA world has their own premade service NPCs. Homeless sims without these preprogrammed roles though start off unemployed and get often used for either things like bartenders or pianists, as an example. The problem is the professions like firefighters and stylist. Even though the game occasionally uses homeless sims to fill these roles, it's sims from inactive households that for some reason often get assigned these jobs as well, even when story progression is disabled in the options.

Apparently I do, since my unemployed sims from inactive households get constantly assigned firefighter or stylist despite story progression being disabled. Sure, it makes sense from a technical perspective, since the game needs these roles to be filled, but is it really so hard to just limit it to homeless sims? It is, apparently, and that's why I need mods to fix this for me. As for my plans, I had a sim in a household I wanted to be unemployed until he was done with university, however, anytime I would switch to another household, the game would constantly assign him a firefighter and I always had him to quit his job every single time I switched back to his household. Now that he has the job I originally wanted for him, the problem is solved, but it will certainly come back should I ever decide to have an unemployed sim in my rotation again. Without mods, it seems to be completely impossible to have a permanently unemployed sim in a rotation because they constantly get assigned jobs by themselves despite story progression being disabled in the options.

No you really don't need mods. It's very simple: you remove all the career rabbitholes and active career lots from the world. All careers are tied to a rabbithole or career objects. You add the specific rabbithole back in when you want a sim to fill a certain career. If you want the town to not have empty lots where the rabbitholes used to be, you can put temporary lots with commercial buildings in their place (or anything else, really).

To do this:
    1. Go into Edit Town
    2. Click on the rabbithole you want to remove
    3. Click on the folder icon - this will make a copy of the rabbithole into your library for backup!
    4. Close the popup window for that rabbithole
    5. Click on the Bulldoze icon
    6. Click on the rabbithole to remove it from the world

Then when you're read for a sim to have a certain career, you just go back into Edit Town mode, go to your library and place the specific rabbithole back.

For careers such as the firefighter, stylist and tattoo artist, you can remove their lots.

Here are a few things to note though:
    • You will still get firefighter NPCs in case there's a fire.
    • If your sims breaks the law somehow, an NPC policeman will try to arrest your sim. That happened to one of my sims one time, but I locked him behind his gate so the policeman couldn't get to him. So the policeman finally gave up and left!
    • When you add back a career rabbithole for your sims to fill that job, the game will hire other sims as well (if there are enough in the town's population) - it's because your sim needs a boss and co-workers! In this case, you may want to think about which other sims you want in this career so when you place the rabbithole and give your current active sim the job, you already know which sim households to switch to afterward and give the same career.

There are colony challenges in TS3 if you're interested, and this is a method for how to build a town up one career at a time.

This is why I love TS3 as much as I do. Since the towns/worlds are living and dynamic, it makes you realize how interconnected everything is in a TS3 world - that when one thing affects a sim, it affects others too in that world!

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
    edited April 2020
    NO (DISAGREE)

I made a new post because the first one was too long already and that is for building up a town from scratch rotationally and is a great and fun way to play in TS3.

Why do you want your sim unemployed until your sim finishes university?

If you don't want him to be a firefighter, you can just give him a part-time job which are quite menial. He won't get any full-time career then. That way you can still play rotationally without mods. Since it's already been resolved you can still do this for any other sims you don't want working a career just yet.

For mods though, I like NRAAS mods: How To Stop Sims From Getting Jobs. You can set it for the whole town or just individual sims.

NO (DISAGREE)

No you really don't need mods. It's very simple: you remove all the career rabbitholes and active career lots from the world. All careers are tied to a rabbithole or career objects. You add the specific rabbithole back in when you want a sim to fill a certain career. If you want the town to not have empty lots where the rabbitholes used to be, you can put temporary lots with commercial buildings in their place (or anything else, really).

To do this:
    1. Go into Edit Town
    2. Click on the rabbithole you want to remove
    3. Click on the folder icon - this will make a copy of the rabbithole into your library for backup!
    4. Close the popup window for that rabbithole
    5. Click on the Bulldoze icon
    6. Click on the rabbithole to remove it from the world

Then when you're read for a sim to have a certain career, you just go back into Edit Town mode, go to your library and place the specific rabbithole back.

For careers such as the firefighter, stylist and tattoo artist, you can remove their lots.

Here are a few things to note though:
    • You will still get firefighter NPCs in case there's a fire.
    • If your sims breaks the law somehow, an NPC policeman will try to arrest your sim. That happened to one of my sims one time, but I locked him behind his gate so the policeman couldn't get to him. So the policeman finally gave up and left!
    • When you add back a career rabbithole for your sims to fill that job, the game will hire other sims as well (if there are enough in the town's population) - it's because your sim needs a boss and co-workers! In this case, you may want to think about which other sims you want in this career so when you place the rabbithole and give your current active sim the job, you already know which sim households to switch to afterward and give the same career.

There are colony challenges in TS3 if you're interested, and this is a method for how to build a town up one career at a time.

This is why I love TS3 as much as I do. Since the towns/worlds are living and dynamic, it makes you realize how interconnected everything is in a TS3 world - that when one thing affects a sim, it affects others too in that world!

The problem is, what do I do when I have sims in other households having careers I don't want them to quit because disabling story progression doesn't work as it's supposed to? Deleting all career buildings shouldn't be a requirement to make the game work as it should.

I like to build stuff
    NO (DISAGREE)

I made a new post because the first one was too long already and that is for building up a town from scratch rotationally and is a great and fun way to play in TS3.

If you don't want him to be a firefighter, you can just give him a part-time job which are quite menial. He won't get any full-time career then. That way you can still play rotationally without mods. Since it's already been resolved you can still do this for any other sims you don't want working a career just yet.

For mods though, I like NRAAS mods: How To Stop Sims From Getting Jobs. You can set it for the whole town or just individual sims.

Because he lived with a few others who already had jobs and they would've had too much if he also had taken a job (I wanted to move him out after finishing university). I'd like some challenge, that's why I didn't want them to have so much money. Sure, I could have given him a part-time job, but what if I want to have a sim in a household who's supposed to stay unemployed? Wouldn't be possible to play in rotation without mods.

I like to build stuff
    edited April 2020
    NO (DISAGREE)
    I haven't played said careers for a fortnight, but if you become a freelancer, do you get a weekly wage (stipend is it?) still, even if you don't produce the required items? If they don't earn that indeed, that's the only 'vanilla' option I can give you to prevent your sims to work where you don't want them to, while gaining no money.
    edited April 2020
    NO (DISAGREE)
    The problem is, what do I do when I have sims in other households having careers I don't want them to quit because disabling story progression doesn't work as it's supposed to? Deleting all career buildings shouldn't be a requirement to make the game work as it should.

That's your problem though - you're expecting the game to do things the devs didn't program into the game. You're still thinking it's like TS2 or TS4 where the dynamics of the town or the world isn't a consideration The key thing is to work with what TS3 already has and can do.

Because he lived with a few others who already had jobs and they would've had too much if he also had taken a job (I wanted to move him out after finishing university). I'd like some challenge, that's why I didn't want them to have so much money. Sure, I could have given him a part-time job, but what if I want to have a sim in a household who's supposed to stay unemployed? Wouldn't be possible to play in rotation without mods.

Ah, okay! Instead of moving him out where he ends up getting all the funds, you can kick him out of the household where he gets nothing. That will put him in a random unoccupied residential lot. If you want to have more control over where he ends up, temporarily change the lot type of all the empty residential lots you don't want him going to, like the nicer ones for example, so that if he ever tries to sell and move again, he won't be able to get much from the sale of the lot. You can also split the household in Edit Town mode, in which case your sim will get 16,000 simoleons and the original household will retain their earnings.

You can also have the household move out instead of him and leave him in the original house - the rest of the household will get all the money so long as you made them the active party. In this case again, he gets nothing. So basically, it's the active party moving out that gets all the money. And in this situation, you have more control over where everyone lives.

If you want a sim in a household to stay unemployed, meaning not generating any income, you would have to get creative without mods. But it can be fun trying! You can make him self-employed and make it difficult for him to actually make any money. Like make him a self-employed fisher and then remove all the fishing spots, lol! Or make him a painter but remove all the easels! That kind of thing!

There's always a work around. That's why I really love TS3, because it makes you think outside of the box!

• gallerysims4gallerysims4 Posts: 267 Member
    YES (AGREE)
    I never played the Sims 2 (I have only ever played the Sims 4) but everyone seems to have loved the Sims 2! I think we could bring back the Sims 2 as the Sims 5 with the same sort of gameplay but better graphics... The Sims 5 would be awesome!!
    Feel free to check out my Instagram where I post pictures of my Sims 4 Legacy at https://instagram.com/gallery.sims4

Check out some Weekly CAS Challenges here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/976290/weekly-cas-challenges

My SimLit Stories: https://gallerysims4.wixsite.com/simlit
    NO (DISAGREE)

If you want a sim in a household to stay unemployed, meaning not generating any income, you would have to get creative without mods. But it can be fun trying! You can make him self-employed and make it difficult for him to actually make any money. Like make him a self-employed fisher and then remove all the fishing spots, lol! Or make him a painter but remove all the easels! That kind of thing!

There's always a work around. That's why I really love TS3, because it makes you think outside of the box!

When I play rotational, I never considered to make any of my sims unemployed - not generating any money for their household. I was curious about this though - what IF I didn't want a sim to make any money without mods?

So I set up a quick playthrough. I used Riverview (no special reason - I just like it a lot!). I installed absolutely no mods, but I have all the EPs loaded. I turned off EA's story progression. I disabled aging, but for the first week, I set it to High Autonomy for the whole town.

I picked Pearl Yang from Sunlit Tides to be the test subject (no special reason here either - she was just the first household with 1 sim from my library) and placed her in the world. I decided to make her a sculptor and I placed a sculpting station in her house. I set her to work on a sculpture right away:

Screenshot-28.jpg

As soon as she finished the sculpture and brought her sculpturing skill up to level 1, I sent her to city hall to register as a self-employed sculptor. I sent her home and let her watch TV. While she wasn't looking, I removed her sculpting station. Here are her stats just before I deactivated her to play another household. Sorry that the images are so dark. I normally use TS3's in-game camera to take screenshots, but it doesn't pick up any mouse-over messages. So I had to use my computer's screen capture function. I don't know why they came out so dark and I didn't feel like looking around for an image editor to fix them. Anyway....

Week 1, Day 1 - Job Panel
    Week-1-Day-1-Job-Panel.png
    Week 1, Day 1 - Skill Panel
    Week-1-Day-1-Skill-Panel.png

I played the other household for a week and then switched back to Pearl. Her job panel and skill panel showed that nothing changed. In the meantime, I checked other things - she made friends around town and a female horse and her two foals seem to really like her - they often go to her place to hang out and sleep outside her house! She also bought a car! I guess inactives can buy cars, but not sculpting stations.

For the next week, I turned off Autonomy before switching to another household to see what happens there and it's still pretty much the same - no change in either panel!

Week 3, Day 1 - Job Panel
    Week-3-Day-1-Job-Panel.png
    Week 3, Day 1 - Skill Panel
    Week-3-Day-1-Skill-Panel.png

So this works! You can use this method if you don't want any of your sims to generate income without mods.