Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it Worth it( and do they even work) getting Mods from 2009, 2010 etc?

I noticed not many mods are made anymore. ( Not 2015 not 2016) for Sims 3. The majority are from 2014 and before. But do they even work in the latest Sims 3 update? I keep going to the modthesims.info site and many say "they will conflict with..." So I'm weary of what i can even install.
My Sims is the latest update which i belive is 1.69 but all these mods say they were made for previous versions of the Sims 3.

Comments

• MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    as long as they are same patch level as yours or near it i dont think they conflict much.people still have patch 1.67 that was release a long while ago
    Happy Simming!♥
  • vesvezDatvesvezDat Posts: 491 Member
    Yeah well some say lik 1.22 and i have 1.69 so i guess i shouldn't right?
  • MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    vesvezDat wrote: »
    Yeah well some say lik 1.22 and i have 1.69 so i guess i shouldn't right?

others may have more experience with it than i do and might give more insight.@igazor may know if he's lurking
    Happy Simming!♥
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited February 2016
    @vesvezDat From my limited understanding, a lot depends on whether the mod is a 'core mod' of which there are very few. A lot of older mods still work fine. Taking just one example, Buzzler's The Box of Seeds is one that I have used frequently even before he updated the description to say that the mod which worked for patch 1.31 is still working fine for 1.67 with no changes needed.

Core mods on the other hand do need to be made for the specific patch level that you are playing.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    edited February 2016
    Patch 1.69 did nothing to the game itself and any mods that worked with 1.67 will work with 1.69 EXCEPT for core mods.

The problem with core mods is they check your patch level and if it isn't exactly the same as the number they are checking for they put up a message and that message is annoying but won't break your game. That seems to be the main reason why core mods need updating for patch 1.69.

Core mods are rare. Error Trap is the only NRAAS core mod you are likely to have. @igazor can explain better than I can though.

If I come across a mod that works for a patch level that is below the patch I'm on and I really want it I will test it.

I'm mostly talking about CC but I do have quite a few mods that were made for lower patch levels and still work with patch 1.67. And if they work for patch 1.67 they'll work for 1.69.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited February 2016
    After a while you kind of get figured out what to use and what not to. There are a lot of mods out there that have never been updated and shouldn't be used with current games but for almost everyone of them there is another mod elsewhere that can be used.

As far as script mods go if it's compatible with 1.67 it's compatible with 1.69 because no game files were changed with the 1.69 update. I think most 1.63 version mods work with 1.69 as well.

And like Karritz said the core mods still work but throw up messages of version mismatch but otherwise are fine.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I don't know about that otherwise are fine. I updated to 1.69 and didn't update my nraas files and I was having a wonky time with them. I updated my error trap file... problem gone. I then just went ahead and updated the testing them... just because they made them.

As for everything else, I think I have several mods that are for older patches, but work. It really does depend on the mod and what it was meant to do.

Do you have any examples?
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Thank you for that info @Minx because everything I've read said that other than the version mismatch message they performed as they should.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Wow, it's been a while. Up to your old tricks again, eh @vesvezDat ? You really do need some new material.

Sorry folks, the OP is not really seeking the answers to all these mod questions. But no, there were no changes whatsoever to game play with Patch 1.69 over 1.67. And whether mods designed for older patch levels still work totally depends on the mod in question and what is was made to do.

Edit: For Reference
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12250623/#Comment_12250623
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Wow. Thank you for the 'heads up' @igazor.
  • stillcelinecara2stillcelinecara2 Posts: 15 Member
    As long as the mod has the same patch update. I don't think TS3 is updated anymore, so as long as it's not straight from 2009 not having been updated for 10 years, then they should work. I personally prefer TS3, open worlds are great, I hope it doesn't completely die out.
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top