Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    @emorrill I used to go into windowed mode to get screenshots. I think I used the key combination of Alt Enter to switch between modes. I'd only stay in Windowed mode for long enough to get the screen shot and flick back to non windowed mode.
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    Karritz wrote: »
    @emorrill I used to go into windowed mode to get screenshots. I think I used the key combination of Alt Enter to switch between modes. I'd only stay in Windowed mode for long enough to get the screen shot and flick back to non windowed mode.

^ @Karritz Dang lady that's a good idea! :open_mouth:

Why in the hey did I not think of that!? :p Maybe because I didn't know I could switch between modes. ;) Thanks!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    I can’t get through to plum MS. I keep getting put on terminal hold. 😡
  • Options
    ^I'm sorry @ZeeGee :( Have you tried calling a different number?

I was wondering if any of you are on the latest Windows 10 patch and if so, have you noticed more pixelation issues or less???

I still have mine at 1903. I don't dare allow 1909 on here! Putting it off as much as possible.
  • Options
    @emorrill I haven't. I should. I gave up.

I'm on 1903 and have taken my desktop off the internet so it will not update until I know for sure there is a fix for these problems. At least it won't get any worse if there never is a fix.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    I'm still on 1903.I keep pausing my updates for 7 days.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    Hey, my laptop just updated my graphics card(nvidia) and it seems to have made it a little better on my end.
  • Options
    @GraceyManor Thanks for the info. I’ll update my laptop nvidia card and see if it helps.
  • Options
    Hey, my laptop just updated my graphics card(nvidia) and it seems to have made it a little better on my end.

@GraceyManor Glad to hear.👍

Doesn't matter what I've done with my Graphics Driver, rolled it back, then updated it, then rolled it back, and my game still looks nasty pixelated in many areas because of this cursed 1903 update which I can't get rid of. Only Microsoft can fix the issue now for me and I don't hold out much hope that they will. :pensive:

I've pushed the Windows update back as far as I've been able and now it's scheduled to Update to 1909 tomorrow. :( I'm thinking of disconnecting the internet cable tomorrow. :p But then again whenever I plug it back in, because I do use this computer for my main internet use, it'll probably just force the update on me again asap. When the update happens, if my game looks worse I'm rolling it back to 1903. (Which is only possible to do during a 7 day period after a major Windows update just FYI). Now my question is how often can you roll it back each time an update is forced? 🤷‍♀️

I royally HATE Windows 10! :rage:
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    edited April 2020
    I have a Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB and play on max settings.

There has always been some colour banding and compression artefacts, and it's easy to see on plain single-colour surface. Look at the walls on this screenshot from 2014:

QPkOZos.jpg

And the dog bed here:

sCqsJtL.jpg

Edit: This is how it looks today:

5lIZb1R.jpg

But it seems to have gotten worse now. I don't remember the counters and fridges having this much colour banding:

9i7fDAA.jpg

Faces look ok in my game, though:

JHgGpt2.jpg

cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited April 2020
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    Sad Microsoft still hasn’t put out a fix for their graphics gaffe. @ZeeGee
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    emorrill wrote: »
    I would totally go with Reshade if it didn't require me to play in Windowed mode to take pics that aren't dark. Forgive me for being picky, but I HATE windowed mode! The game looks even worse in that mode...at least with my monitor. :confused:
    I hate that I can't fix this...and that there is no fix to it. :cry:

Guess I just have to deal. I pray that with the more and more updates coming it doesn't make things worse and hopefully there'll be a fix in one of them. 🤞

I'll mess with my settings today and see what I can figure out and SAME. Still hoping for a fix.

@cororon Your child is beautiful! I'm surprised by your color banding pictures from 2014 but it definitely looks worse now as seen on your appliances. I never had that problem until that stinkin update.
    Sad Microsoft still hasn’t put out a fix for their graphics gaffe. @ZeeGee

@Nikkei_Simmer I KNOW :confounded:
  • Options
    So a new Windows 10 update has just come out this month...
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/05/27/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-may-2020-update/
    ...and I was wondering if any of you have updated your computer to it and if you've seen any changes for the better regarding the pixelation issues, shadow issues, and jagged edges in your Sims 3 game?

I got a little excited when I read this part in the article about what's new in the update:
    See gaming in a whole new light. New DirectX 12 Ultimate features provide smoother graphics with increased detail—all without sacrificing framerate*.

Then I saw the asterisk and scrolled down...

* DirectX 12 Ultimate available with supported games and graphics chips, and requires the latest Windows 10 update.

^The keyword there being "supported" games...and well...I doubt Sims 3 is one of those. *Sigh* :pensive:

I'm still curious though if it will make a difference, but I'm still scared to move my computer past the 1903 build......
    I still see all that it's done to make my game look awful and it makes my heart ache every.single.time! :cry:
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited May 2020
    It doesn't matter for me at all I got an amd card and my graphics are disgusting no matter on high or low ends. xD Only the sims 3 got this issues,the sims 4 is alright and the sims 2 is perfect.
    Yes I made recognized my graphic card in my game , playing around amd settings nothing is changing...and we are use to play with blocky shadows with amd. :'(
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited May 2020
    @emorrill Don't get excited. I have the newest update and haven't seen a difference in The Sims 3 or any older games because that's not what this is about. DirectX 12 Ultimate is an API that basically unlocks the ability for games to actually make use of new ray tracing technology, provided you have a ray tracing capable graphics card. It's awesome, just not for old games.

You can read more here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-ready-for-directx-12-ultimate/
    Post edited by Emily4331 on
  • Options
    *Sigh* Thanks @Emily4331 and for the info on it. :kissing_heart:

I guess our games will never look as sharp as they used to... and those stupid, destroying updates happened just a few short months after I got a gaming computer. I has a sad. :cry:
  • Options
    @emorrill I’m so sorry. 🤗 At least I got a couple years out of my gaming computer. I’m still mad, and still off the internet.

I did find out that some of the issues I was reporting, like the color banding on the fridge, are old issues for some. So I don’t think a lot of simmers took this seriously. I think when I noticed the bad changes I started looking for flaws and found other things that might have already been there. But I know there was a distinct difference that happened in my game on that December weekend. Because I played all day one day, then booted up the next day and had to reset my options back to high. I immediately noticed a big difference.

I do like the color banding option in Reshade that archivist taught us about. That helps when I’m just playing.

The big changes for me were the sims faces and clothes being pixilated, jaggies and the wood textures looking shiny with green reflections. Microsoft did it but they refuse to admit it or fix it. And not enough people are complaining to make it worth their time I think. Maybe this new thing will fix the issues in newer games but it’s too bad it won’t help Sims 3. I will keep my laptop updated to see if any update ever fixes it, but my assumption is it will only get worse so I’m keeping my desktop off the internet. I would give anything to time travel back to that weekend in December and unplug from the internet BEFORE their stinkin stealth update. Maybe up I will borrow Cassandras time travel machine. 🙄🤨
  • Options
    I just updated my laptop to the latest Windows 1909.

What I noticed: That green shine on the wood is gone. But the clothes and the faces are still pixelated. Wood looks like wood again. But some of the other textures such as lamps, some leathers and some custom skins are still borked. Horses still look like they haven't quite rendered yet.

Reshade doesn't work as well. It makes textures in some places look blurry. So overall, the same except for the wood looks better and Reshade doesn't work quite as well.
  • Options
    I forgot that I had an older version of my Nvidia driver installed so I updated to the latest hoping for improvement, and got this:

TSJ78mY.jpg
  • Options
    @ZeeGee OMGOSH! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    @emorrill Right? :cry:
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I take it, pulling the windows and putting them back in didn't resolve the issue of the clipping wall-textures at all?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @ZeeGee I kinda think that is an EA/Dev/Maxis issue rather than a windows 10/graphic issue. There are a few window fixes on MTS that I've seen over the years. One of those might fix that issue. I usually slap curtains over the windows and ignore but hard to do if you don't have curtains that work. I have lots of cc curtains now. :wink:
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer Yes, I did try that. Didn't help.

@bekkasan Next time I have time I'm going to pull my folder and start a fresh one to see if that helps. If it doesn't I'll go with the curtain idea or starat searching MTS. Thanks. :love:
  • Options
    @ZeeGee, I'm seeing it in mine but to a lesser degree. I don't know if it's because of the lower settings I'm at. I'm not pushing my graphics chip and have it set at medium for terrain as well as houses and high on Sims.
    Screenshot-6.jpg
    Screenshot-7.jpg

GYZ6Ak9.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top