Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

January 2020 Lunar New Year Steam sale!

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @ScottDemon Won't it be up to Steam as to whether or not to accept it?
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    edited December 2019
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @ScottDemon Won't it be up to Steam as to whether or not to accept it?

No, Steam is a distributer they don't own the rights to the games they have to do what the Copyright holder tells them.
    The only thing Steam can do is put the games up for sale anytime they choose. As well as remove the games from their store.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited December 2019
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    No, Steam is a distributer they don't own the rights to the games they have to do what the Copyright holder tells them.
    It's even more hands-off. On Steam, every game developer and/or publisher does any changes they want themselves, as they have direct control over all the files of their games stored there. Steam only handles complaints after the fact, and the point that originally led to the argument between the two companies is long gone (other companies have been requiring the use of several platforms at once for years).
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Turjan wrote: »
    It's even more hands-off. On Steam, every game developer and/or publisher does any changes they want themselves, as they have direct control over all the files of their games stored there. Steam only handles complaints after the fact, and the point that originally led to the argument between the two companies is long gone (other companies have been requiring the use of several platforms at once for years).

No, the original argument between the two companies was a breach of contract by EA over an attempt to cut Steam/Valve out of the DLC sales by making all DLC sold only by Origin requiring Steam customers to get the DLC through Origin.
  • Options
    No, the original argument between the two companies was a breach of contract by EA over an attempt to cut Steam/Valve out of the DLC sales by making all DLC sold only by Origin requiring Steam customers to get the DLC through Origin.

So Steam would be completely cut out or Steam customers would have to go through both the Steam client AND the Origin client?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ZeeGee wrote: »

So Steam would be completely cut out or Steam customers would have to go through both the Steam client AND the Origin client?

Not exactly. Steam would get no cut of the sales but would have to maintain the DLC's on their servers without monetary compensation. Steam customers would have to buy the DLC from Origin then redeem the code on Steam and download the DLC from Steam. It's not the same as buying from Steam and then redeeming on Origin as EA already got their money from the Steam sale.

Basically EA was trying to treat Valve as one of it's studios which wasn't going to happen.
  • Options
    @ScottDemon Thanks for explaining.
  • Options
    @ZeeGee your welcome. I worked for Valve during that time so I knew a lot of what happened. I was one of the desk jockeys that maintained the servers for Steam at one of their Data Centers. The one I was at was in Bellevue, WA just across the street from their corporate headquarters. You won't believe how many HDD's we would have to replace in week and during sales it was a nightmare keeping them up and running.
  • Options
    Hal2003Hal2003 Posts: 27 Member
    The Sale ended next will Winter sale, the sale will start on 19th December.
  • Options
    Winter sale started and again everything on Steam has 75 % discount.
  • Options
    @Hal2003 Thank you! Changed the thread title
  • Options
    SweetJealousySweetJealousy Posts: 362 Member
    edited December 2019
    Is it worth getting Sims 3 and its expansions on Steam if you have most of them on Origin already? I ask because aside from the Sims, all of my games are on Steam and I read that there's no way to transfer Origin games to Steam? Are there any benefits of having Sims 3 on Steam?

Is Sims 3 more stable on Steam? No weird failure to launch etc?
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited December 2019
    There are some changes coming to Steam regarding EA games, so I wouldn't really do this at this point before I knew more. As the Origin client will be startable via Steam soon, I guess integration will be possible that way.

Failures to launch can have many reasons. For example, if you have Win10, sometimes, clearing the cache files in your Sims3 folder will lead to a mismatch with files Win10 "helpfully" pulls from somewhere out of its own caches, which can only be cleared by restarting Windows.
  • Options
    SweetJealousySweetJealousy Posts: 362 Member
    @Turjan Thanks. I think I'll take your advice and hold off on repurchasing the entire series on Steam. I mean, I have it on Origin as it is and was disappointed (at the time) that we couldn't port our Origin games over to our Steam library. And then I was reading that there's less lag when you play through Steam, so that's what I was looking for. But thanks again!

• Options
    Sale ended,next sale i think will be in Ferbruary Lunar sale.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    There's another Steam sale going on now, in honor of the Lunar New Year. As usual, the Sims 3 base game and packs are $5 each.

This sale is short, ending at 10 am PST (1800 GMT) on January 27th.
  • Options
  • Options
    As i am looking all expansions packs and base game got on 5th February price cut to 19,99 euro from 34,99/39,99 prices.
  • Options
    CIariteaCIaritea Posts: 48 Member
    oh bummer this is only offered for windows.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @CIaritea While you can only play the Steam version of Sims 3 in Windows, you can still buy the packs and use them in macOS. The CD keys that come with the base game and packs can be registered in Origin just like disc codes, and then you can download the content as you would normally.

The only real catch is that you have to be in Windows to see the CD keys. But if you have even temporary access to a Windows PC, you can grab the codes and register them to your Origin account, where they'll be available in macOS as well.
  • Options
    EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Reopening here as I see you have been using this thread over time and it's updated (ops, we missed that) - sorry for the interruption!
  • Options
    Thank you!