Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @archisims - The way to reserve a residential lot for your own sims to purchase and move into is to retreat to Edit Town and change/make sure the lot type is Residential-Ownable (or Player Ownable). If another household has since purchased it though, do you not have a lot tag on it that tells you whose it is in either Map View or Edit Mode?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    archisimsarchisims Posts: 8 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > @archisims - The way to reserve a residential lot for your own sims to purchase and move into is to retreat to Edit Town and change/make sure the lot type is Residential-Ownable (or Player Ownable). If another household has since purchased it though, do you not have a lot tag on it that tells you whose it is in either Map View or Edit Mode?

The lot is Residential / Private. I never changed it to anything else so I don't understand why I suddenly can't keep building it. I hadn't finished! From Edit Town mode there's nothing I can do to get back into that house and keep building, and it doesn't say there's another household living there. In fact the icon is an open house (not solid) which means it's empty, I think?

I don't see any option for "Ownable". Where is that? In the bar across the bottom, when I click on the list of empty houses it's not there, even though it has an empty house icon over it. (But that icon wasn't there when I tried to move my household in.)
  • Options
    I just tried again and managed to get my family to move into the house without even buying it first or selecting who was going to move or anything (all of which I had to do when I moved them into a pre-existing house) - so I guess the problem is solved although I don't know how - I just had someone call the agent and this time that house was available.
  • Options
    archisims wrote: »
    I don't see any option for "Ownable". Where is that? In the bar across the bottom, when I click on the list of empty houses it's not there, even though it has an empty house icon over it. (But that icon wasn't there when I tried to move my household in.)
    In Edit Town, on the lot in question what option buttons do you see? This is what a typical uninhabited residential lot looks like in one of my worlds. The button on the left is for Change Lot Type. If someone lived there, the sequence of buttons would be entirely different and pertain to the household (like Evict, Split, Move). If you hover your mouse over the buttons, you should get a pop up tool-tip saying what each one is for.

pcpswssp2oaxwu44g.jpg

Lot Types can be Community or Residential. Under Community there are lots of choices, under Residential there should be two or three like this.

95cfc9xg1en99om4g.jpg

Residential/Apartment came with the University EP, so that one won't show unless you have that EP. Private I think came with Island Paradise and is not meant for typical residential lots (there could be another use for it that I am missing). But do you see anything there? If not, I would have to ask what patch level your game is on. The ability to change lot types came with Patch 1.12, the one that was released alongside of Ambitions, back in 2010. Is this an Origin, Steam, or retail disc install?

The lots showing in the horizontal list across the bottom are the ones in your lot "bin," these are copies of lots and not the ones that are actually on the map.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I just tried again and managed to get my family to move into the house without even buying it first or selecting who was going to move or anything (all of which I had to do when I moved them into a pre-existing house) - so I guess the problem is solved although I don't know how - I just had someone call the agent and this time that house was available.

Oh, geez why didn't I think to ask this. If I am understanding this correctly, that means your household probably already owned it as a second home lot, one way or another and whether or not you intended that to happen. You could have finished working on it in Live Mode by using the cheats console, testingcheatsenabled true, and shift-clicking on the ground to get into Build/Buy Mode. But now that they have moved in, it sounds like you can proceed normally again.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Oh, geez why didn't I think to ask this. If I am understanding this correctly, that means your household probably already owned it as a second home lot, one way or another and whether or not you intended that to happen. You could have finished working on it in Live Mode by using the cheats console, testingcheatsenabled true, and shift-clicking on the ground to get into Build/Buy Mode. But now that they have moved in, it sounds like you can proceed normally again.

Yes, it seems to be working. I don't know how my family ended up owning that second house... But they've moved in and I can edit the house too. Thanks.
  • Options
    A completely different issue: When I use Launcher to install custom content, and then close it using the X, and then exit the game later, and then try to re-launch the game, it tells me the launcher is still running. The only way to launch Sims again is to restart my computer (during which it warns me Launcher is still running). It's not even listed when I CTRL+ALT+DEL so there's simply no way to actually close it properly. Is this a known issue?
  • Options
    A completely different issue: When I use Launcher to install custom content, and then close it using the X, and then exit the game later, and then try to re-launch the game, it tells me the launcher is still running. The only way to launch Sims again is to restart my computer (during which it warns me Launcher is still running). It's not even listed when I CTRL+ALT+DEL so there's simply no way to actually close it properly. Is this a known issue?
    This is a known issue with Patch 1.67 (and lower, probably), and the problem is on EA's end. The server that should be letting go of the Launcher is expecting Patch 1.69 and there isn't going to be a fix forthcoming for this. Those of us on Steam installs, the Mac version of the game, and on disc installs who do not wish to have Origin involvement cannot patch any higher than 1.67.

One solution is to never use the Launcher to start the game, but of course many of us require it for sessions where we need to install or manage content.

Another is to change the security rights to the file called Sims3Logs.xml in your TS3 user game folder in Documents so as to disallow Read access at the user and System levels -- right-click on the file then Properties > Security. This is the file that gets stuck in use and causes the Launcher to be unable to quit itself.

Most players can reach the executable through the Task Manager and force quit it that way, but that does get to be a pain after a while. Perhaps you do not have Task Manager set to show all of your running applications?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Leviosa1443Leviosa1443 Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi i had a question about emptying a world. I know i can remove everyone with MC total annihilation but when i do that right after it world starts generating random npc's again i want to stop that and make it so town has 0 people in it (no randoms/homeless/paparazzi etc.)

-Both Ea and Nrass SP progressions are turned off -I had nrass register which i removed now but its still generating people
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @Leviosa1443 - The short answer is, we cannot do that entirely in any world.

I mean, yes a complete Town level Total Annihilation will wipe everyone out other than the actively played household, but that alone doesn't keep a town unpopulated. What we have to do next is consider each class of sims by category.

Residents - If you want no other resident households besides your actively played household, one way to do that is to engage NRaas StoryProgression and keep the Immigration Gauge set at 0 (which it is by default). NRaas > SP > General Options > Options: Lots > Options: Immigration/Emigration > Immigration Gauge. There is no way for SP to control or have any kind of say in resident immigration if it is not in control of progression, so SP > General Options > Allow Progression must be True. If both kinds of progression, NRaas and EA's, are off, then you have no controls over these things at all. Of course another way to arrange this is not have any houses available for sims to move into on their own and it should be noted that sims will never move into a house on their own if it is lacking a refrigerator.

There is a huge "undocumented" gotcha when playing a world with one and only one resident household. Namely, there must not be any chess tables or martial arts tournament objects (if WA is in play) present anywhere in the world because the game will keep trying to find next available opponents for tournaments and error out on you like crazy when it won't be able to find any. This happens even if your own sims really have no interest in playing chess or doing martial arts.

Role Sims/Objects - The game itself will spawn homeless Role Sims to staff role giving objects like cash registers, bars, bouncer ropes, tattoo chairs, etc. One way to stop that is to not have any such objects in town, anywhere. Another way is to use Register to disallow sim assignment on them on an object by object basis. This is another example where not having one of our mods that controls sim assignments leaves one with no control over them.

Role Sims/Global
    - There are a small number of Role Sims generated by the game that have no objects associated with them. Examples are the Paparazzi, the Uni Mascots (and I think the Science Nerd). These can be controlled or switched off by setting to 0 using NRaas Register.

Service Sims - These are sims who are always, without fail, homeless NPCs. They can never be residents. Generally they are called upon to perform services at our sims' houses. Examples include maids, babysitters, mail, newspaper, and pizza delivery, butlers, social workers, the repo sim, and those we can call up to entertain our sims at parties. Special case examples include the Grim Reaper and the ITF Time Traveler. Register can be used to reduce the service pools of sims standing by to perform these services, but there is no way to stop these sims from forming when they are called upon. Stray animals and those populating the adoption and horse breeding pools also fall into this category, but of course you won't see those if Pets is not in play; Register's Animal Control function can be used to limit or eliminate the stray animals.

As a commonly used but more extreme example, suppose your entire world is one and only one residential lot and it's on an otherwise deserted island. You will still have these Service Sims in your game to some extent, there will still be attempted mail and newspaper delivery, the social workers, repo sim, and Grim Reaper will still attempt to perform their defined services when required, etc. This cannot be stopped entirely.

Vehicle Drivers - There will always be sims standing by to be taxi, carpool, limo, and school bus drivers. These sims cannot be messed around with very much as they only have one purpose each for being in the game (although it's okay to socialize with them if you find them wandering around off-hours). If they are gotten rid of, more will spawn to take their place.

Showtime Street Performers and Bosses/Co-Workers - The street performers can be very annoying if they are not wanted. But if SP is set to disallow the three Showtime careers and the three associated skills (SP Skill add-on module required), then you will hardly see them. Of course if Showtime is not in play, then you won't have these at all. The game itself will generate homeless bosses and co-workers for sims in rabbithole careers who require some if there aren't enough (or any) other resident sims to be in those slots. If no one in town has such a career, or if there are no rabbitholes, then you shouldn't be seeing these.

Does any of this help explain where these sims are each coming from and what, in some limited ways, can be done to reduce their numbers?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    For some reason I got a "missing objects" message when I started the game, and now a chair is replaced by a big white cube. I can't delete the cube in order to replace it with another chair - it says "missing object resource instance..." (I think it was custom content). What do I do?
  • Options
    Leviosa1443Leviosa1443 Posts: 13 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > Does any of this help explain where these sims are each coming from and what, in some limited ways, can be done to reduce their numbers?

Certainly does thank you
  • Options
    bufalbef2bufalbef2 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have just spent 4 hours talking to origin who advised me to post here as we had tried everything they could think of. One of my sims is only able to do mean interactions or ask sim to pose. Other sims can't interact with her at all. I have repaired the game, reset the sim, cleared caches and everything else the origin experts could think of. Nothing worked. I have no mods, no custom content and after so long trying to fix it, I'm really frustrated. I've trawled through forums but nothing there seemed linked to when you have no mods etc.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @bufalbef2 Try moving the sim out of the house and back in via Edit Town. You can move out the entire household at once, or (as long as there's another adult present) split the household and just move the affected sim out and in. After you do this, use "save as" to rename the save, so you have a backup, then quit (always without saving, as a separate step), reload, and test.

Be sure to clear your cache files before and afterwards—while you're troubleshooting, they should be cleared every time you quit the game.
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    bufalbef2 wrote: »
    I have just spent 4 hours talking to origin who advised me to post here as we had tried everything they could think of. One of my sims is only able to do mean interactions or ask sim to pose. Other sims can't interact with her at all. I have repaired the game, reset the sim, cleared caches and everything else the origin experts could think of. Nothing worked. I have no mods, no custom content and after so long trying to fix it, I'm really frustrated. I've trawled through forums but nothing there seemed linked to when you have no mods etc.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

4 hours?!? :o Geez, I think you have just earned a golden medal for outstanding patience and stamina!

Yes, the method of moving sim/family out, copy house to bin, bulldoze house, place copy of said house back in town, and then move sim/family back in house is probably one of the the best ways of fixing all sorts of problems for non mod users.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I just upgraded from a gtx 1026 to an rtx 2070 super. And this is what happens at sunrise in game. Once the sun is fully risen the pink/purple coloring goes away. Is there a way to fix this?
    2N3cxxp.jpg
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    I just upgraded from a gtx 1026 to an rtx 2070 super. And this is what happens at sunrise in game. Once the sun is fully risen the pink/purple coloring goes away. Is there a way to fix this?
    2N3cxxp.jpg
    There are probably some things you can do with the built-in Nvidia Control Panel settings to prevent that from happening unless it's a function of the world you are playing or any lighting mods that you have in place -- in other words, unless it's actually an intended red sky type of sunrise effect. Does this happen no matter which world you play and do you have any such lighting mods, reshaders, HQ mods, etc. going?

It might be better though if you could repost the question on a new thread on this same forum board so it perhaps gets more visibility. This one is intended for those with New Member status who cannot yet begin their own threads.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Cute_MunchkinCute_Munchkin Posts: 1 New Member
    I saw a thread to the issue I am having except there's no helpful responses. Upon opening the game everything works fine, and the game runs smoothly it's just a bug I'm currently expriencing. I recieved a notification in red with no text added in the notification box, the next day the repossession man comes in and claims one of my belongings without warning or a notice. I got like a red notification box with a lightbulb next to it. Can someone please help? or is there away to fix this bug?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I saw a thread to the issue I am having except there's no helpful responses. Upon opening the game everything works fine, and the game runs smoothly it's just a bug I'm currently expriencing. I recieved a notification in red with no text added in the notification box, the next day the repossession man comes in and claims one of my belongings without warning or a notice. I got like a red notification box with a lightbulb next to it. Can someone please help? or is there away to fix this bug?
    The blank notification in red with the lightbulb is supposed to be telling you that you have unpaid bills that are overdue and that you should find them and pay the the overdue amount as soon as possible or some unpleasant form of collection action will be taken. The repo sim showing up later or the next day to take some of your sims' possessions with no further warning is the collection action.

The warning notification showing up blank is the bug, the rest of the scenario is supposed to happen. If your game is running in a language other than English, or your are running mods that interfere/adjust this activity and they aren't accounting for your game's language, then what you are seeing is a bad or missing translation string. Those are annoying but not really harmful. Regardless, usually the solution is to pay your sims' bills so there won't be any threats or repo action if everything else is working correctly. Are there any by now stale bills in your sims' mailbox, perhaps? Or are there items that appear to be stuck in the mailbox so you can't get anything out of it?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SummerpoisonSummerpoison Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello everyone, glad I found this forum!
    I have a game issue myself and hope that someone can help me resolve it.
    Some time ago I bought the "Hidden Springs" world and registered it on the sims3 website. When I check my profile there the world icon is in color, just like all my other expansions and packs.
    The issue is that it doesn't show up as "bought" in Origin and it isn't in my game either (I could buy it there for 2.000 points however).
    I don't know if there were any server issues or whatever back when I bought and registered the world since that was a long time ago (2016) and I sort of forgot about it until today.

Thank you all in advance and best regards,
    Summer
  • Options
    @Summerpoison - Store worlds are not provided through Origin like the game itself and the Expansion/Stuff Packs are. While Origin can be used as a purchasing agent, the world downloads themselves once purchased must happen through the TS3 store site and they must then be installed by way of the Launcher like other forms of store content. Can you go to the world item page and "Download" the purchased world from there?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it doesn't work from the store page either. It only gives me the option to buy it with 2.000 SimPoints :neutral:
  • Options
    @Summerpoison - Is it possible that you have more than one store account and the one where you would have redeemed the code purchased is not the same one that you are now checking? Regardless. this sounds like something only EA customer support can help sort out.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Summerpoison Check in your purchase history on the Sims 3 site (My Store Account/Purchase History). I have Store worlds that don't show up as owned when I go to the Store download page, but they're available for download through purchase history.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @igazor It's definitely my only store account but it's solved!

@suzses Thank you so much! It worked :) Unneccessarily complicated imo but regardless, I was able to download it from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top