Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened in your sims 3 game today?

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I just got myself a new gaming laptop.I hope it runs the game okay, It seems different then the one I was looking at online.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited February 2020
    @emorrill Looks as if Harvey got lucky when it comes to aging to elder. He doesn't really change that drastically and looks like a friendly elder man. When I looked at Marcus as an elder, the result was less encouraging. I guess that's one of the reasons for the Age Freeze potion :wink: .

@Karritz Oh sorry, I meant your chase for badges, not that Philosopher's Stone opportunity. I think my main family has about 6 of those in their family inventory. I just wasn't sure whether it counts for your badges when you throw elixirs at the same people. I know it counts for the LTW. Getting those 50 thrown bottles is very easy if you use family members. I let the kids in the family use their dad for target practice :lol: .
    Looks as if you have your house on the beach set up. It's a pity that the lighting at lot edges ends so abruptly. That's one of the things I'm not that enthusiastic about with this game.

I can't even tell whom the game used for those genetics (it may be close to pudding). There are pretty much no residents and certainly no kids in town at this time, which means it was just random that he showed up at all.
    For the consignment store and the food register, I got these two ladies (no zoom because that particular building decided to get finicky):
    Uf9BogJ.jpg
    MxaAlUx.jpg
    No puddings, either. For the nerd store, the random pick seemed to be based on Malcolm Landgraab.
    xw22jcY.jpg
    Not sure what that derpy look is supposed to mean, but I had to laugh :smile: .
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,961 Member
    I decided to do a thread in stories about Leonardo Mancini, and then I'll be playing him in a bit!

https://forums.thesims.com/EN_US/discussion/972861/leonardo-mancini/p1?new=1
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,921 Member
    edited February 2020
    @Turjan thanks. Nice sims.

I am not after a badge with the elixirs. I already have the badge where the sim has to throw lots of elixirs. I forget how many now. It happened a couple of years ago. All I'm after with his elixir thing is the Philosopher's Stone. He is destined to die early in this game and I want my household to be able to revive him. But since I now have more than 8 sims in the household that will probably not be possible.

This is one of the new sims I just added to the household. I made him in CAS then used Master Controller to add the Plant Sim occult state to him. I need him for a few badges. I've never had a plant sim older than a teen in any of my games before so I'll be experimenting with what I can do with him. The teen plant sim I have is in my Big Game and I don't think I've played with him since he aged up to teen.

Anyway this one is named Sylvan Forrest and he's going to be trying to get me a few Plant Sim related badges as I learn about Plant Sims.
    Screenshot-182.jpg

Edit to add...

This is the house in daylight - with the gardener service truck parked out front of it.

Screenshot-184.jpg

I was trying to pull the lights in away from the edge of the lot to avoid some of that sharp cut off from the edge of the lot. I might try pulling them in a bit farther later on.
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    @bekkasan My game is fine. I've just been very busy getting ready to move that I haven't had too much time to play or work on updates for pictures that have been sitting in my folders for awhile now.

@GraceyManor I figured that it was just a missing piece of CC and meant to be something else, but you're right that it, at least, does fit in with the medieval times. Yes, he does...

@Shadow_Assassin Nice pictures! Your sims always have interesting backstories! That's strange that you can't post that one picture with your sim in their nightie without having to censor it. All of their important bits are covered up and I don't remember cleavage ever having to be censored.

@bekkasan Jennifer's job attire is really pretty! Marshall and Wisteria talking about their transformations is really cute. :)
    It's always nice when there are a bunch of sims in one place so that you can get your job easily.
    The only thing I don't like about the gem cutter is that they tend to wake up sims on the lot if they're sleeping, even if the gem cutter is placed outside. I remember the other day when I was playing my game and one of my sims, who wasn't as tired, decided to use it. Everyone else in the house woke up and it just created this huge, annoying traffic jam of everyone stomping and waving. And the gem cutter isn't even that loud. So, they definitely shouldn't have heard it.
    That's right. Don't ever wake babies when they're sleeping. It's almost impossible to get them to fall asleep again.
    I love that picture of the boys playing basketball. ;)
    Very nice chapter update!

@Lucy_Henley Very nice update and pictures!

@Turjan Even robots deserve love too. <3

@emorrill I'm guessing that it's the UHD bodies that show all of those wrinkles because it's more detailed than the other skins. I don't have that skin in my game anymore because it was too much and it would always take an annoyingly long time for my sims to render because of it. Personally, I think the HD+ skin is good enough if you want high quality looking sims.

@Turjan I always love when I get attractive service sims that I barely have to tweak.
    Those two lady sims are gorgeous! Do the shops do that thing where objects disappear if you try to zoom in? Because it happens to me in my game, sometimes with certain rooms.
    Might want to trim the beard on the comic store guy, though. :lol:
    Been trying all night to get my laptop to recognize my graphics card, but I can't figure it out, the tutorial boggles me.XD
    Been trying all night to get my laptop to recognize my graphics card, but I can't figure it out, the tutorial boggles me.XD

Does it need to recognise the graphics card. The new cards aren't in the database they made for Sims 3 and you need to put it into it. I haven't done it for years now. If you ask in the tech section someone might be able to help. If not let me know and I'll do some research and try to come up with something that explains what you're trying to do a bit more clearly.
  • PunkJadeePunkJadee Posts: 213 Member
    I was playing the sims 3 the other day from morning till early hours , my sim was trying to become a singer so i was working my way up i go to level 6 of the singer career and was getting gigs ect , i just about to have my own big stage gig and my games crashed and did not save , soo i lost everything in the end i thought to myself well i guess the gaming is telling me its bed time :lol:
    Pew-Pew-Kitty-clean_800x.jpg?v=1501003855
    edited February 2020
    Karritz wrote: »

Does it need to recognise the graphics card. The new cards aren't in the database they made for Sims 3 and you need to put it into it. I haven't done it for years now. If you ask in the tech section someone might be able to help. If not let me know and I'll do some research and try to come up with something that explains what you're trying to do a bit more clearly.
    It’s when I get to the graphics rules where you add like “and match 6???)) the first part is easy the second part confuses me so lol I attempted it and my device config says found 0 matched 1
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    @LunBeauty Thanks
    Maybe her tattoo on breast be mistaken for dirty thing even Valentin having to be censored
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
    edited February 2020
    @Karritz Great plant sim. You seem to have mixed him somewhat to make him look more "normal" than usual.
    Don't sweat it with the lights. Those borders are still visible with the faint light from the windows, it's just more visible with such a well-lit lot.

@LunBeauty Thanks, I was quite pleased. Regarding the comic book guy, I'd like a better beard, but I fail to locate one. I think there had been a link to some beards in this thread recently, but I forgot to bookmark that one and cannot find it anymore. Anyway, I may just edit the chin instead.
    Regarding the camera issues, there's another lot a bit too close by, and if I zoom in, the camera jumps on top of the building. The transparency issue is another thing. I may use a mod for that, as there is one. I haven't used that one yet, because then you get those freaky images when the camera goes through a sim's head :smiley: .

@GraceyManor Getting the syntax and especially the exact name of the card right, given there are hundreds of very similar names, is sometimes difficult. The last time, I just used one of the tools that simply extend your card list, because I must have made some consistent typo. It's a bit unsatisfying, but hey, at least it worked.

@Shadow_Assassin Yes, sometimes, those automatic filters get confused. I recently had a photo of a sim with some sleepwear in a color that was similar to her skin tone, and imgur blocked the image already on their side.
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • Silverofdreams30Silverofdreams30 Posts: 7,200 Member
    @emorrill

No worries hehe,
    I do not comment on everything here and give awesome as well only.
    Thank you.

@Karritz

That house looks great.

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I want to get some Sims back into modelling :smile:

Who can name all of these Sims?

86732099_10157001126696497_2109287760807329792_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=1-MEaWIwXN4AX-zoj1H&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-1.fna&oh=00cfdfaa8775d7602bfd759f6246ae13&oe=5EB9650D

87178784_10157001126721497_7987180393507848192_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=n0DFdw_LEPkAX9wl2AQ&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&oh=3d03b1a6d4036f3d525f7fd7d37491bc&oe=5EF4B4A5
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Karritz wrote: »

It’s when I get to the graphics rules where you add like “and match 6???)) the first part is easy the second part confuses me so lol I attempted it and my device config says found 0 matched 1

It is confusing. That's why I hoped you'd find some information that was understandable. I found it all too hard until I sat down with the database file and went through it one line at a time. That's the Graphics Cards.sgr file. You need to put your graphics card into it and it has to be in the correct spot. Which just happens to be the default spot, so unless your card is not particularly strong you probably don't need to make your computer to recognise the card.

I don't know if you understand computer programming, but, the database file is just a big if statement. And if none of the if = conditions are met then it drops into the final group which assumes the card is Uber and that is the strongest card. If not then you need to go searching through graphics card sites to compare your card with the strengths of the old cards that are already in the database and see which level it matches. I think there are 4 level. I'm pretty sure most cards now will qualify as Uber. Let me know if you're not sure.

If you want to make more sense out of what I've just said in a few sentences, open the GraphicsCards.sgr file and have a look at it in Notepad or whatever graphics editor you use. You'll soon see it has cards grouped first by manufacturer and then by card number. The card numbers starting with 0x in the file are found in your DeviceConfig log.

This is what mine says:

Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1c03, Board: 11d710de,

The Device: 1c03 turns into 0x1c03 when you put it into the CraphicsCards.sgr

As you can see, I didn't edit my sgr files to force it to find or match anything. As far as I can tell, it just means it will set your graphics to minimums by default. It's up to you to change the settings to how you like them. I tend to have mine different for each of the games I use for my videos, that's one of the reasons I have a separate Sims 3 folder for each game.

It takes a lot of concentration and focus to get the GraphicsCards database right. And lots of research to be able to compare your card with the cards that are already in it to find out which group you need to put it into.

Does any of this make sense?

@Turjan thanks. I need the lights outside because this game is for my video about the University Life badges and when the sims run outside at night and do unusual or interesting things I want to video them. It's not very good if there is no light. I've been known to pause the game and go into BuyDebug to add ceiling and wall lights around them occasionally just to get the video. I'm still working out where to put the rest of the lights as the big bit in the middle of their back garden is still in the dark.

@Silverofdreams30 thank you. I'm afraid that house had a very poorly planned beginning. I started with a little square box which now has the front door. Then I built a basement with bedrooms and kitchen and whatever else they needed. Then I realised I needed a staircase to the surface if I wanted them to use their basement. By then the only place for the staircase was a long way from the little square box I'd previously built. So I added a longish hallway so they didn't emerge from, or enter their basement from the open air. It is another challenge - to get it to work. I'm slowly adding bits to it. It will eventually improve - I hope.
    @Turjan about the plant sim. I made a sim in CAS and then added the Plant Sim occult to him with Master Controller. I think he's going to be fun as his face is so expressive and his big eyes really show his delight or excitement.
    edited February 2020
    @Karritz
    I'm not sure if my card is strong or not.Its the nividia 1050?
    But on my old laptop it ran better with it being recognized.
    edited February 2020
    @Karritz Yes, I like your plantsim. He's quite unique looking :smile:

@GraceyManor I don't know how The Sims 3 handles this, but SimCity 4 would fall back on software rendering for all advanced features in case you didn't specify the card. Which, of course, would result in massive performance hits.
    As for the edits, I still follow mostly this guide on Steam (Steam or not Steam doesn't matter for the guide). It has a few outdated recommendations, but some of the edits made my game run better.
    @Karritz
    I'm not sure if my card is strong or not.Its the nividia 1050?
    But on my old laptop it ran better with it being recognized.

If you've updated the Cards file and it isn't finding it, then there could be a typo. The most common I came across, and the most difficult to fix, is brackets in the wrong places.

My card is Nividia 1060 with 6GB memory.

The thing you need to do is do some searching on the internet for where cards are rated and see how your card's ratings compares with cards that are already in the sgr file. It is time consuming. I did it a couple of times. Once you have a good idea of where your card fits then look for where those cards you identified as being similar to your card are in the database and that's where you should put the entry for your own card.

I think the newer cards with the same number (the 50 in your case) tend to be a bit stronger than the older cards with that number. The last 2 characters in the Nvidia card is the power of the card and the first 1 or 2 characters represents the year or model. And if cards are for laptops they won't be as powerful as the same card for a PC.

I haven't looked at any of this for a couple of years now and I've not really kept up with it, particularly since the general idea in the tech section now is to advise people to not bother as there are so many variables involved and it generally makes little or no difference to performance.
    Thanks! Decided not to bother with it but now it says game not not launch no graphics card recognizes 🤣
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@Lucy_Henley Cute pics of the family. It just keeps growing, but I love kids too so it is cute seeing all of them in your game.
    Good luck with your new story.

@Turjan Thanks for the compliment on Auden. :smiley:
    I don't want her to grant wishes so that is not an issue. Not sure how it will work having her drink the potion since I've never done that. But, I will work it in the story somehow. :sweat_smile: I always wished the Genie cleaning would clean the toddler pots too, but gross it doesn't. lol
    The pool is the one that comes with Dragon Valley. Most of the venues are quite interesting. I did change one of the pubs into more of a fun pub then a meeting house.
    I love the rusty effects on the simbots! I think they went swimming one too many times.
    The babysitter is quite cute and the ladies look lovely. Not so sure about the last dude. I like beards on men, but not that one! lol

@emorrill Now I'm curious as to which KB skin I have and what happens with elders. Of course, I seem to have no active elders in my game and they get a potion tossed at them if I do. Oh...the King is an elder. I can check him out next time I have my sims go to the Fairy Realm, or just find an elder townie and check them out. lol Oh...I just checked my list and Nickolas has the KB on him and he is an adult. I used EA age marks on him while in CAS as I wanted him to look older, but, not ancient so I don't know if that would be a fair test. I could play with him in CAS and not save though just to see how it behaves when he turns elder.
    Thanks for all the lovely comments on my story. You made me smile and laugh as I read them.
    It does look like it would hurt to transform from man to werewolf, but they do it so quick now compared to that first time that I'm imagining they get used to it.
    I'm glad you didn't think Alice was being too bossy. Those poor babies don't get any rest as it is if I let them always do what they want. Someone is always moving a baby from the cot to a crib back to the cot or swing. During a party one of Jennifer's coworkers put Fillion in a stroller and I think was abducting him. I hit debug reset on her so fast and had Wisteria pick him up and take him home, and then locked the door to all but her and Dedric. lol That won't become part of the story though. I was so freaked I didn't take pics. lol
    Marshall started writing werewolf novels when he and Adam went to uni and I started controlling him. :wink: They are apparently very popular and he's written over 20 of them. I should count them, but, not in game now. He just wrote his first masterpiece. I was so excited for him. I copied the notice and it will become part of the story eventually. He's had that particular wish to write a masterpiece since University so I was happy to see it finally disappear off his wishes.

@Karritz Glad things are better with the mic. I'm glad work is busier too. Except today, I don't seem to have anyone scheduled. Maybe they will call me in a bit. Got some housework to catch up on though if they don't.
    The house looks cute. I've gotten to where I use those invisible buydebug lights a lot more especially in my underground rooms as they are so dark even with the candles and other lights I use down there.
    Your plant sim looks cute. Good luck with his badges.

@GraceyManor Congrats on the new puter. Hope it works well for you.
    I always thought if it says matched 1, then it matched it. Don't know why it would say found 0 though.

@LunBeauty Ah, well moving is a busy time what with packing and unpacking that's for sure. I hope the move goes smoothly for you.
    Thanks so much for commenting :smiley:
    Jennifer is fun to dress.
    I don't use the gem cutter on the home lot. If the town doesn't have a consignment store, I add one and have the gem cutter and the smelter on the lot. This way they can bug the townies with the noise. :lol: You can adjust the settings in retuner so that it is not so annoying from what I understand but I just leave it as is. Life should have some annoyances. I also like making my sims leave the lot and not spend all the time at home.

@PunkJadee Glad you were enjoying the game so much. Total bummer about forgetting to save.

@king_of_simcity7 nope, can't name them all.
  • Silverofdreams30Silverofdreams30 Posts: 7,200 Member
    I am in the planning stage to create a new save story. This is very basic loosely
    on the 80s cheesy movie " Teen witch". It was one of my favorite movies as a teenager so decided to see if I
    can use that backstory from the film somehow. I won't use the same characters as in the movie, but borrow
    some bits and pieces from the film.

It will be set in modern time since it is a hassle finding 80s stuff.

This is my family

ZOQ78jN.jpg

The Freemans, Jodie is the main character ( Teenager), who finds out
    she's really a witch who can use magic in reality shes just this plain girl who wants something more in her life.
    Her parents and she has an annoying little brother too.

sFWoBwZ.jpg

Their unfurnished home, I will furnish and set up.

@bekkasan Some of those Sims are some of my recent ones while others are my long term favorites :smile:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    This is easily one of the best picture that I have ever taken of Jennifer :smile:

23000308_10155015016701497_7252890379938181062_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=IegN5bgqw7IAX_-kS-t&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-1.fna&oh=19f136c1a48321b24f574725b8493eed&oe=5EB9B544
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Wish me luck.Launching my save on my new laptop even with my graphics card not recognized.Its annoying cause my settings keep getting reset
    edited February 2020
    @bekkasan Thanks. I don't think I like any of the longer beards that came with the game. This specific one reminds me of the Bay Area in the 2000's. There were quite a few edgy teenagers and twenty-somethings running around with such a beard. I'm already on the look for something better though.
    I also like that rusty skin on simbots. The simbots from the LTW come with rusty skins, those built by inventors have smooth skins. I only had had the latter so far.
    Good luck with the genie potion. I had a few of conversion potions blow up my game, but I never tried the genie one, and my witches don't have the fireflies to make one at the moment.

@Silverofdreams30 That looks like a great start. That's a lovely family, and I really like modern houses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top