Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Weird names for babies?

I’m currently in Sunlit Tides. I happened to see that the Grantham family had five kids, four girls and one boy, the boy being the middle child. Their youngest daughters are called Janell and Janel. What on Earth?? Why the complete lack of imagination :D:D Janell with two Ls is a child and Janel with one L is a baby. Originally Henry was called Julio, which is a nice name but didn’t fit with Sophie and Katherine, so I renamed him to Henry.

I have a number of NRAAS mods including Story Progression.

Anyone else had odd names like that?

Comments

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    Not necessarily odd, but I have about 5 different variants of Jamie and nearly 10 variants of Daren/Darrell/Darryl etc. in my game.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,960 Member
    I can just imagine those Sims being in class or at work and hearing their name called and being so confused as to who’s who!

I did rename the girls. Child Janell is now Jane, and baby Janel is now Abigail.
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Yup! I just do what you did, and rename the town residents’ kids to something that fits better and is unique to that save. Too many similar given names are confusing.

One of my current saves is in Midnight Hollow. I rarely play premade Sims, but I do progress them with MC commands. One of the resident households consists of husband and wife John and Jane Doe, and their children Joseph, Jennifer and James. Jane is also pregnant at the start with baby number four.

Jane gave birth to another boy, and out of all the names possible, the game named him Joe. Bad enough his older brother is named Joseph, but... Joe Doe?? :lol: At least it kept to the J theme! But I renamed him Joshua.

The family next door to the Doe’s is the Salas household, starting off with husband Jay, wife Tatiana, daughters Sandra and Frieda, and an unborn baby. The baby was a boy called Trevor, which I didn’t change. However, their fourth child ended up being a boy that the game named... Joseph! :joy: He’s called Andrew now.
  • CatWendCatWend Posts: 7 New Member
    I named one of my children Elvira to be unique...now there are like two other children in town with the same name... remembering everyone in towns first and last name is confusing lol
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    There are some names that I cringe and I also rename the children. In Appaloosa Plains, I even have girl/boy names for the premade newborns (Dakota Fox's sibling is always renamed to Montana, Ethan Parrott's sibling is Grahan or Tamika and Patricia Bedlington always has a Wayne or Winona). Yup, I have the names on a paper to remember whenever I replay the neighborhood. ^^0

But weird names... off the top of my head, I can't remember any case.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2020
    On unusual player-chosen names getting reused, I used to have a handle on this but then a player at MTS reported seeing sims born in his game with names like Slavatore, Ferd, and Brain. Those were misspellings he used by accident (rather than Salvatore. Fred, and Brian) and they couldn't possibly be in the game's first name database spelled so badly. On the other hand, many of my actively played sims have odd names that I've chosen, I've used all of the letters of the Greek alphabet by now and I have yet to see those, WhatHisName, or Shmoopie (etc.) show up on other sims on their own. One theory is that the sims need to be saved into the household bin for their first names to get picked up for further use but that doesn't seem to hold true in my case or I would occasionally have sims born or spawned in-game with the name "igazor" among some of the above. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @thuggishsplicer actually your comment about Patricia Bedlington reminded me... I have an Appaloosa Plains save, her son ended up being called Jamel! So a Janel, Janell and Jamel.

I tend to use fairly traditional/non-weird names for my Sims, so I don't know where the odd ones come from.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I normally take names as they come, although some of them are really odd.

So far I had names like "Rudio", "Wigbald", "Onko" and "Isolde". My favourite has to be "Uhlbert".

Also, the game named one of Teodor Medina´s (from Isla Paradiso) daughters ""Marina", which I found funny. Marina Medina. Also, the son of Oberon and Titania Summerdream (from Moonlight Falls) got named "Reginald", which means "king" or "ruler"", which doesn´t really bode well for his parents.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
    So far I had names like "Rudio", "Wigbald", "Onko" and "Isolde". My favourite has to be "Uhlbert".
    Except Rudio, which I don't know, those are at least real names. Isolde is probably the best known of those.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    Except Rudio, which I don't know, those are at least real names. Isolde is probably the best known of those.

Yeah, just not very common (or old) ones, most of them germanic in origin.
    "Onko" seems to be a variant of "Onno" (a name from Eastern Friesland, a northern region of Germany). And a coffee brand.
    And "Isolde" always remembers me of the opera.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • DahliaWDahliaW Posts: 20 Member
    I give my sim sons very weird and Harry Potter - type names :D Like Dracofulencio. God, that kid will be so bullied at school...
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited February 2020
    @Lucy_Henley - Well at least it’s better than Newhart (those of you who are older will remember that joke)
    5f7c0e7d7332681ae8362016690807b0.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Lucy_Henley - Well at least it’s better than Newhart (those of you who are older will remember that joke)
    And how many will remember the one and only scene where the two Darryls actually spoke? :)

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Yeah, that was a great episode.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    On unusual player-chosen names getting reused, I used to have a handle on this but then a player at MTS reported seeing sims born in his game with names like Slavatore, Ferd, and Brain. Those were misspellings he used by accident (rather than Salvatore. Fred, and Brian) and they couldn't possibly be in the game's first name database spelled so badly. On the other hand, many of my actively played sims have odd names that I've chosen, I've used all of the letters of the Greek alphabet by now and I have yet to see those, WhatHisName, or Shmoopie (etc.) show up on other sims on their own. One theory is that the sims need to be saved into the household bin for their first names to get picked up for further use but that doesn't seem to hold true in my case or I would occasionally have sims born or spawned in-game with the name "igazor" among some of the above. :)

@igazor I have seen many Brains over the years and I doubt it would be because I misspelled it at some point because Brian would not be a name that comes to mind when I do name my sims. I know I have never seen a Mikezumi born in my game and I have several instances of my simself in the household bin.

• BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    I always thought that the name Sha Sha was different. I have had at least a couple Sims with that name. Never my Sims, but townies.
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    After returning to this thread and reading some later responses, it seems I misunderstood the OP. :grimace: I thought it was siblings in the same household being given essentially the same name that was the weird part, so my response was based on that. I didn’t consider the names Janell and Janel themselves as being odd; I simply viewed them as creative/alternative spellings of Janelle.

I guess I don’t recall seeing any truly weird game-generated names then, or at least not names I’d necessarily consider weird. But weirdness is in the eye of the beholder; subjective and partially based on exposure. I use Nordic and Welsh names sometimes, and imagine they look rather odd to most!

There are names that may be considered odd in my saves, but that’s because I’ve intentionally chosen them, lol, so they don’t count. I prefer distinctive names for many of my own Sims—the occult types especially—including words not normally used as names and names I’ve created. When I get few or no results in a web search, I figure I have something relatively unique. :)
    I normally take names as they come, although some of them are really odd.

Also, the game named one of Teodor Medina´s (from Isla Paradiso) daughters ""Marina", which I found funny. Marina Medina. Also, the son of Oberon and Titania Summerdream (from Moonlight Falls) got named "Reginald", which means "king" or "ruler"", which doesn´t really bode well for his parents.
    I like the name Reginald for Titania and Oberon’s son! He is the heir and would rule after his parent’s deaths after all, as even Fairies don’t live forever (well, unless aging is turned off). Of course, if little Reggie’s given name had been Regicide instead... :scream::tongue:

Also, now I kind of want a Wigbald and an Uhlbert! xD I do have an Isolde, but can't remember if I intentionally chose that name or if it had been generated.
    Well at least it’s better than Newhart (those of you who are older will remember that joke)
    <image snipped>
    The first thing that popped into my mind when I read the OP was Larry, Darryl and Darryl! :lol: I only saw Newhart in passing though, and remember little of it.
  • ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
    I use a name replacement mod from Modthesims that I'm very happy about. Guess it was called "unique names" or something. It also works for naming game generated townies. If I ever get bored of it, I'm planning on replacing it with another name replacement mod.
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @igazor I have seen many Brains over the years and I doubt it would be because I misspelled it at some point because Brian would not be a name that comes to mind when I do name my sims.
    If you meet a Pinky, you know who's at fault :smiley: .
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I played the game for seven years and never saw a baby or generated sim named Bimble but in the last few months I've gotten four of them! One baby and three NPCs. And the name is so bad that it's kind of iconic and awesome but only ironically too.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    I haven’t really encountered anything too “out there”. I did see a female Sim named Michael once (in Sims 4), but that’s not Bimble-level bizarre!
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Okay, I had to come back.
    I was playing in Appaloosa Plains and a couple had twins. The boy was Lavar and the girl, Tamsen. Tamsen sounds exotic and cool, but Lavar... well, in Portuguese "Lavar" is the verb "To Wash". So it sounds really weird for me. ^^
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Giggles.

@thuggishsplicer: I actually went to school with a Tamsen.

Weird names: My new family is alien themed.

Dad: Ovins Zoltir

Mom: Limi Zoltir

First set of twins

Boy: Zelor Zoltir

Girl: Ixeas Zoltir

Second set of twins

Boy: Olzell Zoltir

Boy: Tral Zoltir

Last baby

Girl: Razu Zoltir

:) Smile!

• CIariteaCIaritea Posts: 48 Member
    How about "Oops" ?
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    I have used a few unique names in the past for my Sims. But I stick to a theme for my Sims (Names from Greek Mythology, Constellation names, names ending with "A" or "us" for another family, names from various novels, unusual names for Supernaturals, Traditional names for Fairies, Gothic names for Vampires etc.) A few standouts:

Patroclus (A child on the Molyneux Save; fits with the Greek Mythology name theme of the Molyneux Family)
    Cosima (A girl that was born in an older Save and subsquently saved to the Bin)
    Marius (A boy born in an older Save and subsquently saved to the Bin; Triplet brother of Cosima and a Genie)
    Canute (A boy born in an older Save and subsquently saved to the Bin; Triplet brother to Cosima and a Genie like Marius)
    Perseus (A Sim from another Household; his name, like that of his family, are Constellation-themed)
    Clove (A Sim from another Household, named after the character from The Hunger Games Trilogy. In the first novel Clove is a Career Tribute whose arrogance led to her death)
    Cato (A Sim from another Household, named after the character from The Hunger Games Trilogy; in the first book Cato is the leader of the Careers, Clove's District Partner and the enemy of the main character. He is the last character to die in the novel)
    Matisha (A Sim from another Household; she is based on an Original Character from a novel I've been writing)
    Undyne (A Sim from another Household, she is based on another Original Character from a novel I've been writing)

So that's some of my Sim names and the stories behind them
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)