Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Were You Upset by the Lack of a Witch Hat in Realm of Magic?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I'm upset, but not as upset as the above.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Why duplicate what is already in the game from other packs? Besides, while witches are spell casters, spell casters are not necessarily witches.

Yeah forgot about the Spooky SP but as Witches wore hats so did most of the Spellcasters such as Wizards, Sorcerers, etc however over time the lore was forgotten and most adapted what is current now.

The lore starting from when? The Alewife theory of Witches' hats is the oldest I can find, and it dates from roughly the 12th century... but wise women/Wicce and women accused of witchcraft predates that (there's even one in the Bible, provided the translators understood the word correctly.)

Many depictions of Circe, Morgan leFay, Medea, etc - and even Merlin - don't have pointy hats - or any hats. And this includes art made *after* associating witches with pointy hats became a thing.

So for the modern Spellcaster, the hat is a fashion choice - Just as it always was.

For me there is no specific date but lore goes way back maybe before the 12th century as many have an different ideas and it can be influenced by books, TV, radio and also game development. You may think Merlin does not have an pointy hat and someone else may think so because all said Merlin is not real. I get what you saying as I seen an lot of deviating like Vampires Sparkling(forgot the movie as I was never drawn to it) and I dislike it but that may because I read seen an lot of movies depicting vampirism before that movie was made. Some are tend to be sentimental about the exact description because that is what one was used to seeing. Lore can be found in fiction and non fiction and technically one is not wrong or right. Of course it is the choice of each player if they wish the hat or not to have the hat and again lore goes way back in time.

The lore does go back a long time, well before the 12th century, you're right about that.

The Pointed Hat specifically being a "witch" thing does not. It's 1) a specifically European thing (many cultures have people we would classify as "witches" who don't have pointed hats - at least no more than anyone else in their culture does.) and 2) does not exist in artwork or other cultural depictions of witches until around the Renaissance. Again - at least not as a specifically "witch" thing.

I'm sure no one thought the Witch of Endor (from 1 Samuel, ch 28 of the Bible) had a pointy hat until sometime after the King James Bible was translated. (Heck, on the wikipedia page about her, none of the artwork - dates ranging from late 1500's to 1857 - has her with a pointy hat. She's always wearing what contemporaries of the artist thought people wore in biblical times.)

Most of our modern images of Witches are solidly because of the Wizard of Oz movie, which is 1939. Pointed hats have been part of the lore for a long time, to be sure, but it hasn't "always" been there "from the beginning." The earliest theory I can find where pointed hats were specifically associated with witches is the 12th century.

Witches are far, far older than that. Pointed hats have not been part of the lore "from the beginning."

I believe I can agree with you on that as I agree with the you on the Wizard of Oz as most may be what some may an witch hat may be associated with. When supposed witches was burned in Salem many years ago none of the hats worn was not pointed as it was more was an flexible head cover almost similar to what an nun wore without the long hairdress or they wore none at all. As far as the pointed hat goes as said most associate with that as it gives off an most sinister look. But like you said there was an time when the pointed hat was worn and by certain groups. Sad witches get an bum rap as not all were evil and I sort of forgot what they called and they were more into the earth and if I am not mistaken using the earth essences to heal or aid them, not making bad potions and I find them interesting. I do not disagree with you on what you are saying as there is not an whole lot I may not know and I am still learning.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Only a little.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    YES I AM UPSET WHERE IS MY WITCH HAT!?
    While I enjoy the different style of herb witch / punk witch / etc. choices we were given, I would have also liked to see a traditional witch hat, especially since we got that mini pilgrim dress. I would have also liked to have seen Gandalf/Merlin-style wizard hats and clothes too. There were a lot of missed opportunities with this pack in general, imo.
  • Options
    Binx522Binx522 Posts: 3 New Member
    (I've had the sims for awhile now but never made a discussion account so i am unsure how to show which one I voted for but it was the "YES I'M UPSET WHERE IS MY WITCH HAT")

I understand it is more about the idea of magic rather than witches, wizards, and warlocks but it's honestly just (in my opinion) the sims version of "Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them" and "Harry Potter" (I said it in chronological order in world rather than when they were released on purpose) but their are still witch hats even if they are not worn by every wizard. Some of fashion also reminds me of the grandmother from "Halloween town" and again though not every witch wears the hat some do. Also for creating character sims like Harry Potter, Dumbledore/Gandalf (same actor and similar attire) you want the hat! I am a college student so it's not like I have a lot of money to buy every pack (though I irresponsibly buy a lot when they are on sale or when I can bundle {can't buy tiny living pack till it goes on sale or another game pack is released}) and I am not gonna buy a pack with costumes when there is a lot in the Get Famous pack and I can create a "spooky holiday" so, I didn't see its point.
  • Options
    > @Magdaleena said:
    > YES!!!!!! WHERE IS IT!!!!!!
    >
    > I like hats too much to have a lukewarm opinion on this, okay. Where the heck is my witch hat???????
    >
    > The one we got in spooky stuff looks too fake and costumey. I was looking for something that actually matched the pack. Please. I shouldn't have to use CC to fill in the void for a classic magic item such as this.
    > I mean, I do have multiple CC hats, but I'm still mad.
    >
    > We're also missing wizard robes and capes and all that fun stuff, which makes me wish I knew how to rip stuff from Sims Medieval, since really, that's what I'm actually looking for here. This is a magic pack, so I expect witch/wizard stuff alongside all the other fun stuff they added.

Someone who gets it! EA could have done a lot more with this pack in regards to having witches, wizards, and warlocks, I saw a reply that said ROM is more about the magic but if so why is different magic stuff not a skill when other things that require more research in are skills(like vampire lore or salvadrian culture)? Why are fairies not included in this pack when they're magical? Why can't making a wand be a thing? Where is my flared out long sleeved dresses and shirts like the cute one in Cats and Dogs? And in regards to the robes and capes I really wish EA would make a over wear section in the accessories part to add on jackets to any top, dress, swimsuit, and pjs. Also occult pets would be cool to have magical cats like in sabrina the teenage witch or hocus pocus
  • Options
    > @Dannydanbo said:
    > Fake and costumey? Do you honestly think that any real witch at anytime, anywhere ever wore a wide brimmed pointy hat? Those ARE the costumes that someone made up a century ago. Most witches were depicted as old hags in rags. No broom. No pointy hat.
    >
    > P.S. They don't cast spells by wiggling their noses either.

but brooms are included in the pack, and they cast spells using wands... do you think those "old hags in rags" use those, because they're also included in the game fyi?

P.S. where were these "old hags in rags" shown in the trailer, or as townies?
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    No, it doesn't bother me. It doesn't fit the style of Realm of Magic.
    Wait, I do have witch hats in my game! They came in the spooky pack, at least there is a pumpkin icon on the hat in CAS, so they are in the game. So, I'm not real sure what difference it makes what pack they came in, as long as they are there.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited February 2020
    We should've gotten one that looked a little more Goth along with capes, cloaks, real working crystal ball, and moving people pictures. Was happy about what Realm offered, but really, those should've been there to round it out.
    Kathykins wrote: »
    My sims never use any type of headwear anyway, except the occasional beanie for winter wear

You sound like me. I don't use hats except for winter, but a witch should have a choice to have one.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Wait- there wasn't a witch hat? I wasn't paying attention.
    I was happy with the witch hats from... wait for it... Spooky Stuff. If I have my Sim cosplay as Zatanna, she's using the top hat from Vampire Stuff.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Hats & Cloaks should of been in ROM. Very disappointing. Oh well.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Yeah, it would have been nice to have one. I think what bugs me the most though, is the random nonsense hats & headgear the game gives my spell casters when I'm not playing them. I wish we had the ability to change it.
  • Options
    LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    Ig upset isn't the right word, I just think the pack is too "Harry Potter" inspired and not much else, I would've loved to have different styles for the different witch archetypes.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    No, it doesn't bother me. It doesn't fit the style of Realm of Magic.
    there are also no staves, gotta use a wand or nothing.
    Binx522 wrote: »
    Dumbledore/Gandalf (same actor and similar attire)
    Sorry I can't let this be uncommented: No, they are not the same actor, Dumbledore was played by Richard Harris and after his passing by Michael Gambon. Gandalf was played by Sir Ian McKellen.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top