Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Pack is Best?

I'm thinking of buying either Island Living, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Dine Out, or City Living.

Prior to buying, what are the cons and pros?
Can you ignore the bugs/glitches and still enjoy the content?
Have those problems been fixed?

Comments

• JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    If you go on YouTube and look up LGR he has great reviews on all those packs. He tells you pretty much what you are asking for tho which you get is highly dependent on what experience you are looking to have in game.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Island Living is my Fav and most used of those. I play families and realistic and it has the most for them to do.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I don't think I have a favorite, but I have Dine Out and I only use one thing regularly. The little light that works on one tile dining tables. I don't even have restaurants in any of my saves because they are buggy.

I played through strangerville twice and I use the cas items and the windows/doors a lot. I moved Bella Goth there with her younger kids after her husband disappeared in one save. It was part of my storyline not culling.

Really, I use stuff from island living alot. It' was actually the first world I completely redid and filled up since Newcrest. I really enjoy it!

I made one spellcaster and played for a bit but still prefer realism when playing. Last week I had my single Sim hook up with Darell Charm (I forgot he was a spellcaster) and they had an ancient bloodline daughter but I lost interest. I can't get into the magic thing but you may enjoy it.

I played City Living a bit but I have vertigo and I can't handle the bouncy thing the camera does when I play apartments. I use cas and buy build items all the time. The wood floor is awesome!

Just a note: The bouncy camera thing also occurs in Windenburg on certain lots. I usually build on the island and avoid downtown.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Of the above packs, City Living is my favorite. It has great CAS & build/buy, and I really enjoy living in the city. Karaoke is also pretty cool.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    My favorites out of those are Island Living and Realm of Magic
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'm thinking of buying either Island Living, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Dine Out, or City Living.

Dine out is great and would be my favourite but the bugs are impossible to ignore. If you fancy paying for a 6 hour meal that your sims don't even finish then by all means... That said though, I use the BB and CAS a lot. I've had no problems owning a restaurant either. Just eating at one.

Island living is beautiful and it adds a bit of fun game play but not near enough to be labeled and priced as an Expansion. I'd suggest buying this on sale.

I love the BB and CAS in RoM, but I also love them in Strangerville. They both come with worlds that I use a lot. The Strangerville story can be ignored, but if played, it's fun the first time but doesn't really have a reply value once you've seen how it ends. Some of RoM's potions are still glitchy and the potion of immortality will still indeed not give your sim immortality even though they have the trait making it completely useless.

City Living I think has to be my favourite out of your choices. It adds so much with the festivals and apartments. The world is well done (if you are into cities and concrete) but I do feel like it's "alive" when my sims go out. I like all the CAS and BB (although not as much as Strangerville or RoM but it's still right up there with my favourites). I also feel like, for me, it has the least amount of bugs/glitches. I know there is a sale on right now but out of everything you've listed, and knowing what I know now after playing all of these packs, City Living is the only one I could actually recommend still purchasing at a full price.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Strangerville is great, but you need a mod if you don't want to play the mystery in every save. The town itself is pretty awesome, but it's hard to ignore the storyline until after you've played it through or modded it out.

City Living is alright. I enjoy the festivals, apartments & karaoke bars. I think this is the pack that started all those horrible NPC outfits, though.

Realm of Magic is amazing, lots of gameplay involved, a cool world & easy to shove onto the back burner if you don't feel like playing it at the moment.

Island Living is also fantastic, I've only had my sims living there a little bit, I use it mostly for a day trip spot.

Dine Out is meh to me. You'll like it if you enjoy the business owning aspects of the game, but I'm not a fan of that. I do enjoy taking my sims out to dinner from time to time, especially to the experimental food place, but one household member always seems to inevitably get food poisoning. Don't worry, it's not fatal, just makes them sick for a couple of hours & they can get compensated if they complain.

Gallery ID: LDM2
  • MikkiMikkiMikkiMMikkiMikkiMikkiM Posts: 213 Member
    My favorites are Realm of Magic and Island Living, because I really like the added gameplay features and overall moods of those packs. The CAS and BB items that come with those packs also fit into my overal aesthetic very well, so I use them a lot. But I guess it depends on how you like to play the game.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Island Living: A beautiful world, and I love the water activities and sunbathing on the beach etc but I have found I haven't really used it that much yet.
    Realm of Magic: Two lovely worlds (though both small), and I have always loved witches in the past, but again I have found I haven't yet used it all that much.
    Strangerville: Totally gorgeous world, not huge though. One of my favourites, surprisingly, and I have actually played the mystery three times and am about to do it again. It can be a little repetitive going through the mystery if you are ploughing through it fairly quickly, but I tend to space it out at a slow pace amongst normal life and I also play rotationally anyway.
    Dine Out: Probably my most used pack out of the ones you have listed, I am always sending sims out to eat. It's nice that we can make our own restaurants and even customize the uniforms, we can have McSims, fancy restaurants, run-down restaurants, lots of different types in different worlds. Take families there, go on dates, just eat out for a change to being at home. The bad point is that sometimes it can take a long time to get your meal served.
    City Living: A fairly good pack, and I like that you have city areas to play in just outside the apartments (the one with the basketball court is my favourite). Neighbours can be annoying though, and it is also a shame that the elevators are just teleporting methods and we cannot build our own apartments.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

Ooh, lovely packs. <3

Island Living
    Ideal if you're looking for a tropical location. There's a nice underlying conservation theme on the islands where you're cleaning up the trash left around. The island actually does start to change and brighten up (more flowers and trees developing colour etc) and there's some lovely events that occur in the main town. Very beautiful and atmospheric. If you've got Seasons, it adds realistic weather patterns for a tropical location. I often use this for the beaches and I've enjoyed creating family beaches for me sims to take their children out. Right now, I've got a couple of Sims in the Conservation career and they've got a club set up for conservation activities. I really enjoy it and use aspects of it in my every day gameplay.

Thus far, I've not had any issues with it. A lot of people were upset because while there is snorkeling and scuba diving, they are limited to the buoys at sea. There is a mod out to change that, if it's something that's likely to bother you. So that was worth mentioning :)

Realm of Magic
    This is another very nicely done game pack. There are three types of spells for your spellcasters, so there's variety in the 'type' of spellcaster they are. The Magic Realm itself is beautifully done and very different - very otherwordly, you could say. Also very atmospheric with a completely different sky so it's definitely worth a look. Glimmerbrook is also very beautiful. It's also easy to ignore the spellcasting aspect, as others have said, if you're looking for 'normal' gameplay sometimes.

I don't really have any downsides to this one. It's great if you're wanting spellcasters in a particular save and easy to ignore them if you don't. Quite flexible, really. :)

Strangerville
    I actually only bought this one myself recently (I'm setting up a group of paranormal/supernatural investigators so this seemed perfect) so I can't pass much comment here. I haven't even got around to looking around the world itself yet. Hopefully though, the opinions above will help you out a bit :)

Dine Out
    I fell in love with this one when it was announced. I adored creating, playing and running restaurants in Sims 2 and was always frustrated when I couldn't as easily for Sims 3. So this gamepack is a must for me because you can do all of those things. I find it easy to get restaurants created and set up custom menus and uniforms for the staff.

Once again, I'm not having problems with the pack. A lot of people are apparently still having problems but I won't comment on those since I'm not experiencing them myself. If the restaurant is busy, it can sometimes take a while to get served; I often have at least two stoves and around 3 or 4 waiters/waitresses for optimum service in the restaurant but that's up to personal preference. My current restaurant, Eden, has 1 chef and 3 waiters and seems to run quite smoothly, although service can be a little slower during peak hours. This doesn't bother me because it feels realistic to me but if it's likely to irritate you, then it's worth consideration. There might be mods out to speed that up but don't hold me to that. :)

City Living
    Okay firstly, I'm not even a city person. I loathe them in real life. So I've surprised myself with how much I LOVE this pack. I use it all the time. The festivals are really good fun, very different. The backdrop is incredibly atmospheric and the cityscapes are amazing from a higher perspective, particularly in Uptown. The Flea Market is probably my favourite of the festivals <3

The main downside for a lot of people for this pack is that you can't build your own apartments. This hasn't bothered me because I don't feel like they'd fit anywhere else but I do understand it's an issue for a lot of people. So again, it's worth bearing that in mind if you'd be really into that. :)

Okay, enough rambling! :D I hope that helps a bit and good luck! I hope you enjoy whichever you do decide to buy! <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited February 2020
    Here is my thought...

Island Living (I can't give out my view because I don't own this pack)

Realm of Magic
    Pros - New world (it's a beautiful world), new life state, interesting BB/CAS, new death, new aspirations, new gameplay for spell caster, new plants if you enjoy gardening, new households
    Cons - If you're not a fan of supernatural, you're not going to enjoy this because you'll see some Sims travelling to your house or community lots with their brooms. When I first got it, and I get one of my Sims visited the realm. Lack of empty lots. At first, it's kinda annoyed me that any random NPC/other unplayed household can become a spell caster (i think, they have fixed this, I can't remember)

Strangerville
    Pros - New world, adventure/rpg gameplay (if only you want to play it), new careers, new aspirations, interesting BB, CAS is so so, new death, you can plant bug on someone (if you want to), new households
    Cons - Maybe it's just me, I wish that it's snowing, but it's not. Lack of empty lots.

Dine Out
    Pros - A new type of business, interesting BB, CAS is okay, you can now, dine out! lol So far, I don't have any problem with the order. They come perfectly on time.
    Cons - Perhaps, not only dine out, but I wish that we could hire more employees. The experimental food pictures used to have a bug. It seems like the recent patch just fixed it.

City Living
    Pros - New world, apartment style building, festivals, new BB/CAS, new death, new recipes, new stalls, new households
    Cons - Loud neighbours! :p Can't build your own apartment but you do have penthouses to play with

In general, it gives you a lot of different type of gameplays & worlds. On top of that, if you enjoy building & decorating, the bb.liveeditobjects will give you more than what the packs are offering.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

Island Living:
    Pros: The setting is beautiful. The furniture with this pack is my favourite in the game. I love the mermaids. I love watching them swim in the ocean and they crack me up with their singing and mermaid dolphin calls. The hair and beach shoes are great. The island conservation career is a lot of fun and has a work from home option. I love that you can make sandcastles on the beach and collect seashells.
    Cons: Ok, I have just one complaint, the decoration for sunblock is not real!! and I spent a ridiculous amount of time putting it in and out of my inventory, trying to click on it, placing it on my dresser, deleting it and repurchasing it, so I could complete an "apply sunblock while tanning" task before I figured out it happens during tanning and you have to click on yourself and you don't need the sunblock item. :| The sunblock should have been real lol.
    3c2a8647-00346df3-000346df.jpg

Realm of Magic:
    Pros: Really fun to learn magic. I really like the secret lot with the Harry Potter Diagon Alley set-up. I've enjoyed dueling the Sims with magic wands.
    Cons: I don't really use the spells after I learn them. The potions require ingredients that are not readily available usually.

Strangerville
    Pros: I love this game pack! I love that it has a little in-game quest that you follow along. The new world is very nice. I had so much fun completing this one. I love the clothes and furniture in this one too.
    Cons: The infected people look pretty creepy at night. Not too much of a fan of their twisted heads and running with their limbs all disjointed.

Dine Out

Pros: Really enjoy going out to a restaurant. I love that you can customize the restaurants and choose the menu yourself.
    Cons: Can sometimes be hard to complete a meal if they take too long to order or eat.

City Living:

Pros: I love this game pack too. The Festivals are a lot of fun to go to. The new recipes to learn at all the food stalls are amazing. Living in apartments is great.
    Cons: Why does it rain so much during Geek Con? Some of the local townies have terrible fashion sense.

I'm not sure which bugs came with which pack, so I'm sorry I can't comment there, but I haven't really had any problems playing any of the ones you mentioned.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    Island Living

have lots of fun with this personally and use it loads
    it lacks some things to be expected of island pack
    (namely hammock that was left hidden in game files, hula, underwater, open water in other worlds)

but if you'd like some summer funs for your sims and you are also into beach vibes
    it's pretty versatile and fun pack to play with tbh

City Living

also have lots of funs with this

biggest mistake is really that we can't edit or build apartments
    and the festivals get very repetitive since there is no toggles for those

but if you like living in city its a fun pack

works pretty cool with university and get together as well
    and objects are pretty versatile and useful in many ways

Realm of Magic

Cool concept but bad execution tbh
    I have yet to find a way to use this pack in my game in satisfactory way even if I love all things occult
    the b/b and cas are cute as heck though so I find myself using them a lot

all in all needs a big gameplay improvements
    it just feels like big waste of potential

Strangerville & Dine Out I don't have so idk about those
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    City Living: Apartments, Festivals, Clothing, Hairstyles & Objects VS Random weird tourists.

Island Living: Island Events, Mermaids, Clothing, Cool Highlight Hairstyles, New Residential Traits, Awesome Objects & Boats VS dirty Island.

Strangerville: (this town belongs with Get to Work),Big Town, Hairstyles, Walls, Flooring & Objects VS Happy Zombie-like people & Motherplant.

Realm of Magic: Spellcasters, Hairstyles, Clothing, Glimmerbrook, Make-up, Accessories, Objects, Flying Brooms VS Curses & Magic World.

Dine Out: Objects, New Meals VS Boring Restaurant.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    All of them. o:)

No pack has any flaws and they are amazing and worth it to purchase. :#
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    Update: I ended up getting Realm of Magic with Vintage Stuff, however, when I was trying to buy them, the world was really working against me into getting them on sale. I ended up having to buy the full price (no worries) :).
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    All of them. o:)

No pack has any flaws and they are amazing and worth it to purchase. :#

giphy.gif
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Just know if you get City Living your townies fashion will forever be doomed.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

Island Living in my opinion is the best with City Living and Dine Out at number 2 and 3.
    edited February 2020
    @catloverplayer
    Do the glitches in Dine Out only apply when at the restaurant not the pack itself? What do people use it for if it's bugged?
    catloverplayer
    Do the glitches in Dine Out only apply when at the restaurant not the pack itself? What do people use it for if it's bugged?

What glitches are you talking about here exactly?
    832XG3D.gif
    Just know if you get City Living your townies fashion will forever be doomed.
    @ChadSims2
    So, just spamming? I'm used to that, plus, I thought S4S app fixed issues like such.
    @DeKay
    The most common one involving guests not being served properly, long waiting hours and such. I'm not sure if it's this pack's or a GTW's problem.
    edited February 2020
    DeKay
    The most common one involving guests not being served properly, long waiting hours and such. I'm not sure if it's this pack's or a GTW's problem.

Not being served properly at a restaurant is a Dine Out issue. There are long waiting hours bugs for GTW too but that is because of GTW. I don't think GTW retail bugs will affect things outside of retail. If there are people who complain about long waiting hours in restaurants, that would be tied to Dine Out itself and not GTW's fault. :)
    832XG3D.gif
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited February 2020

In all the 20th anniversary, this thread got overlooked. Sorry about that. anyway.

IL i have now, it isn't that interesting from my own point of view, never really saw the appeal in sandy beaches, i've only ever been to one and that was an ice age ago. one of my sims is a mermaid now, she felt compelled to go to the island and become one, leaving everything behind except that she needs.
    RoM i don't know of yet.
    SV i've got, i find the mystery an interesting one, i've even got a few of my own sims deliberately getting infected and possessed just for good measure.
    DO, surprisingly i still haven't gotten around to DO even though i've used some of the DO stuff in the past.
    CL i've played quite a bit of. the apartment setting is fairly appealing, you can get a decent enough sized space depending on apartment for reasonable rates. you got more collectables and food to discover. Alex Moyer frequents San Myshuno regularly and she's gotten very large over time from the various treats from the stalls (and i don't play her at all). it isn't just her, but other sims have gotten fat as well. CL has such an impact on game play, i'm always going there for one reason or another.