Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The familiar

Now I bought realm of magic (because I must have everything for the game) but I am a bit uncomfortable with the familiar just because of the name. I wish the name could be changed to something less dark. I mean there is such a thing as a familiar spirit in real life so if the name of that little pet like thing could just be changed I would feel more comfortable playing with it.

Comments

• ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I believe they're called familiars because like the folklore of familiar spirits they are designed to help spellcasters (witches) with their magic/spells. I don't think it was intended to be dark but more so a helper.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    They are called that in TS2 as well. It may be the customary term.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Traditionally, creatures that serve spellcasters are referred to as familiars. Every term in the game doesn't have to make absolutely every person who plays it 100% comfortable. If you lean more to a conservative religious world view and feel uncomfortable with overt references to witchcraft, maybe you shouldn't have bought the pack. That would be like me buying "Laundry Day" and then griping about the piles of dirty laundry that appear because I put a washer in my house. Most people who get a pack with a magic theme are cool with concepts like familiars and spellcasting and such. If you're not comfortable with that stuff, then maybe it's one of those packs you skip, just like I skipped "Laundry Day"...because doing chores sucks.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    What familiar spirit is there in real life?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    For ordinary folks, none. For those heavily involved in acutal occult practices things could well be different. To keep on topic, it's simply a common term used in simsdom for the cat or whatever a given magic user has.
  • aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    Thanks for your insight guys - I guess I could just not play that part of the game. I really like the new world though and I wish there were swimmable spots there too just like in Britechester. (I wish all the worlds had swimmable spots)

And by the way, there is magic that just involves skill and distraction - so not all magic is dark. And I really wanted to explore that and see what tricks my sim would learn. But since it's all dark I'll just leave it alone and enjoy the new world. I wish Sixam was as developed as the magic realm with things to do and places to go. Okay lemme stop rambling.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    aujineh wrote: »
    Now I bought realm of magic (because I must have everything for the game) but I am a bit uncomfortable with the familiar just because of the name. I wish the name could be changed to something less dark. I mean there is such a thing as a familiar spirit in real life so if the name of that little pet like thing could just be changed I would feel more comfortable playing with it.

Oh, grow up.

—T
    To7m wrote: »

Oh, grow up.

—T

Really? Then I would have to stop playing...

Heck no!
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Thanks for your insight guys - I guess I could just not play that part of the game. I really like the new world though and I wish there were swimmable spots there too just like in Britechester. (I wish all the worlds had swimmable spots)

And by the way, there is magic that just involves skill and distraction - so not all magic is dark. And I really wanted to explore that and see what tricks my sim would learn. But since it's all dark I'll just leave it alone and enjoy the new world. I wish Sixam was as developed as the magic realm with things to do and places to go. Okay lemme stop rambling.

While I have nothing against preferring stage magic and illusion to Fantasy Magic involving spells and potions... I am curious what in the Realm of Magic trailer or info led you to think that it would include the former rather than/as well as the later?

I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just curious. I'm always interested in how marketing (as a broad concept) communicates, especially across cultures, so I'm curious where you saw something in this that I did not.
    Actually, I did not even look at the trailer - I only bought this pack to have a complete game with nothing missing and also to have the additional world for my sims to expand their lives into. So assuming it would have all different types of magic was just speculation on my part and well it's no big deal really - thanks for asking. I actually also love to watch and read fantasy - not all of it goes deep into the dark realms.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    You don't have to play with familiars, simply make or adopt a pet and make it a companion. Half of the spells in RoM are skill spells. Just like in the base game you don't have to be evil or a mischief-maker/mean sim to play. There is nothing in-game that requires you to be dark.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
    joRN1414 wrote: »
    You don't have to play with familiars, simply make or adopt a pet and make it a companion. Half of the spells in RoM are skill spells. Just like in the base game you don't have to be evil or a mischief-maker/mean sim to play. There is nothing in-game that requires you to be dark.

This is really useful information joRN1414 - thanks very much - I might just investigate this part of the game after all.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    The Practical magic tree is great. You can do things like clean, repair, garden, make food in an instant, single or group meals. It can make household tasks much quicker and easier.
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    With a name like "realm of magic" you should have thought about that before purchase, for the game pack is dark and full of terrors.
    tumblr_pgcfdqG0pp1wb2e0fo3_500.gifv
  • damageincracingdamageincracing Posts: 275 Member
    I suppose now EA will need to add a "safe space" for the easily offended and those "uncomfortable" with playing their game...
    Duende wrote: »
    With a name like "realm of magic" you should have thought about that before purchase, for the game pack is dark and full of terrors.
    tumblr_pgcfdqG0pp1wb2e0fo3_500.gifv

Lmao really - the title "realm of magic" suggests darkness and terror? Sounded more like excitement and mystery to me. Well as I said before I bought it for the new world. Was curious about the magic option but did not want to play with something called "familiar" when I know about that kind of thing. And I am very happy with the new world - just wish the water behind the lot close to the portal was swimmable. I wish there were swimmable spots in all the worlds where there is a pond or bay or fishing hole.

And @damageincracing I am not offended by anything or uncomfortable with the game - just the name of the bat creature. EA will not change anything for just one person, and most people like it as it is. I will just leave that alone and be happy or explore it at my own risk.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020
    With the disclaimer that I do not believe in spirits and am not willing to argue that point, isn't a familiar just a spirit embodied in an animal meant to guard and protect? That wouldn't necessarily be dark. But there really isn't anything dark in the Sims 4 -- the closest you get to evil is goofy and silly (which to some may be the true evil of the Sims 4).