Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The UI Is Not User Friendly

123457...Next

Comments

• Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    the ui was designed by bros. you have to wear a baseball cap backwards to use it correctly.

Don't you mean, brogrammers? :D

On topic, I am just not feeling the new UI. :( Never did. I miss the floating head, I miss the blue interface, I miss it all being located in one easy-to-navigate and predictable spot instead of here, there and everywhere. I do understand how some are really liking it though, it just doesn't feel 'simmy' to me anymore.

• ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    I really do hate the UI in Sims 4, it was horribly thought out, created and implemented, that is my personal opinion and it hasn't changed since launch. The one that bugs me the most is the stupid window at the top in the center of the screen, way to big and I constantly feel like I have to duck my head to see around it. I also can't stand not having buy and build mode separate and I really do not like the way the things are sorted in buy mode (besides it was so much better with the pictures like we had in 2 and 3) at the very least they could have put things in alphabetical order if they weren't going to do pictures. And while we are on the UI, I am really missing the tile/square counting while building that we had, right now I have to do so much extra work to count out each square to find the center of the lot or to make a square room, that in both Sims 2 and 3 I didn't have to do.
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    In terms of color I find that the Sims 4's UI when playing may get a bit tireing to look at, but over all I like the organization.

The only thing that bothers me, really, is the cluncky sound that the mouse does when clicking on the pie menu...it's so annoying...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    I would much rather have either 2 or 3's UI... this gray/white mess in 4 with potential for huge windows open everywhere (screen blocking) and print that's too tiny to read is HORRIBLE.

They should shave off some window size and jack up the text size with what's "saved" there, huh? LOL

Just had to toss out my ME TOO on this, I've seriously disliked the UI from day one, and it isn't getting any better with time. Not the parts I don't care for, anyway.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I really do hate the UI in Sims 4, it was horribly thought out, created and implemented, that is my personal opinion and it hasn't changed since launch. The one that bugs me the most is the stupid window at the top in the center of the screen, way to big and I constantly feel like I have to duck my head to see around it. I also can't stand not having buy and build mode separate and I really do not like the way the things are sorted in buy mode (besides it was so much better with the pictures like we had in 2 and 3) at the very least they could have put things in alphabetical order if they weren't going to do pictures. And while we are on the UI, I am really missing the tile/square counting while building that we had, right now I have to do so much extra work to count out each square to find the center of the lot or to make a square room, that in both Sims 2 and 3 I didn't have to do.

Wow, you just added what I think while I am playing this game. You mentioned everything that bugs me that I didn't mention! I agree and while building I know what you mean, it is so annoying.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    I just thought of something else...the search window. I really do like having the search window, but EA said they changed the UI to make it more streamlined, then if that is the case then we should be able to put the cheat codes in the search bar instead of us having to use ctrl+shift+c and having to open that huge console line that is annoying. Just would have made more common sense.
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    I know this is old but I ran across it and just want to say that this is how I feel over 5 years later! All the complaints I've made.

I just started playing 2 weeks ago so I've nothing memorized. Having to look all over the screen is frustrating and the most ignorant piece of development they could have ever done. It's not intuitive, nor is it grouped, so the purpose was.......? And yeah, still having to move between mouse and keyboard. And still can't fully see a Sim in CAS.

It took me several days to figure out that Buy is under Build. Not only should it not be there, if that's where they're going to put it, why not call it Buy/Build instead of just Build? The menu for Buy items makes no sense. It's not alphabetical, which it should be. I'm not in the game so I can't remember what it is but I know that some categories have additional writing to the left so the writing doesn't even line up, making it even more difficult to browse.

The controls in the upper middle seem to have been thrown together after the other programming - totally random.

I hate that we have to manually close the cheat bar. Instead of simplifying, it seems we have to keep doing more and more steps.

I'm also not a fan of the panel on the right. Doesn't have enough information for starters. And while I actually do like the way TS4 does the babies, I don't get not having a needs screen for them. If the idea is that the Sims don't need to prepare because that's real life, why even give adult sims a heads up on potty breaks. After all, all they have to do is that extremely sophomoric 🐸🐸🐸🐸 walk and everyone knows they have to go.

I pretty much agree with everything the OP wrote. For people new to The Sims, maybe it isn't so bad - although it still lacks reason and simplicity - but for those of us who've been playing for 2 decades, it's absurd. I'm already on the fence about this game - why did they resurrect TS2 gameplay? - and the UI really kills it for me.
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top