Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Murphy Bed Question

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
The whole point of a Murphy bed is to save space right? So my question is if the bed is flat against the wall, do you think we will be able to place objects in front of it? Or will it act like there is a 3x2 space (or whatever it is) being taken up as though the bed were on the ground like a regular bed?

I get the feeling Sims can walk under it no problem but you won’t be able to put objects in those squares which would sort of defeat the purpose in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited January 2020
    Wouldn't it be a bother if you had to move things from underneath it every time your Sims went to bed? My guess is that you won't be able to place anything underneath/in front of it. That's how interactive objects usually function, I think.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    This is why we needed bunk beds, and lifted beds with usable 1x3 space under it (for a desk, dresser, mirror, bookshelf, etc) Murphy beds in this context are kinda... not great lol
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @thecatsred Feel free not to buy the pack.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    thecatsred wrote: »
    This is why we needed bunk beds, and lifted beds with usable 1x3 space under it (for a desk, dresser, mirror, bookshelf, etc) Murphy beds in this context are kinda... not great lol

Yea you may as well just set down a regular bed if they will take up the same amount of space and you can’t use the space underneath, unless you just like the “look” of seeing the bed come out of the wall lol.

I hope I’m wrong though and we can place something underneath.
  • Options
    Nindigo wrote: »

Okay?

Just saying there's a missed opportunity here. A lot of requests are frequently falling on deaf dev ears. Been playing this series since first day of sims 1. I think I have every right to be a bit bummed that objects or things we have been requesting constantly get ignored.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Yea you may as well just set down a regular bed if they will take up the same amount of space and you can’t use the space underneath, unless you just like the “look” of seeing the bed come out of the wall lol.

I hope I’m wrong though and we can place something underneath.

I did see a shelf on the back of the bed - if it's like those rotating shelves on murphy beds and we can at least use the bed as storage, that's not too bad.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    There's also one with an attached couch in the trailer, so there will be a seating option available, even if it's not to everyone's tastes.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    There's also one with an attached couch in the trailer, so there will be a seating option available, even if it's not to everyone's tastes.

I saw that. Maybe we can swap the couch out for another 2 seater.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member

Honestly, just because someone doesn't find everything about this pack great doesn't mean they don't like it or won't buy it. They have every right to be disappointed that something they wanted didn't make it into the pack and feel like it was a missed opportunity. I think the sims team misses opportunities all the time to make the game better. They either reuse animations or just give us more of the same like chairs.

I like the furniture that I see in this pack! I don't usually build tiny homes but I may build a few when the pack comes out. As for the murphy bed taking up space, I don't think we will be able to put anything in front of it. I still have hope that bunk beds will come eventually.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member

Honestly, just because someone doesn't find everything about this pack great doesn't mean they don't like it or won't buy it. They have every right to be disappointed that something they wanted didn't make it into the pack and feel like it was a missed opportunity. I think the sims team misses opportunities all the time to make the game better. They either reuse animations or just give us more of the same like chairs.

I like the furniture that I see in this pack! I don't usually build tiny homes but I may build a few when the pack comes out. As for the murphy bed taking up space, I don't think we will be able to put anything in front of it. I still have hope that bunk beds will come eventually.

Bunk beds are a far more attractive option than murphy beds. a fold out bed that was stored in the wall and pulled out for sleeping purposes, of course there would be space reserved directly in front and around for the sim to use it and for the bed to come out and take up the appropriate space.

With bunk beds, i can double up my very basic house and have a second occupant without any additional footprint. it beats this idea though, i mean what exactly is special about the murphy bed? it still only supports one or two sims at most and still takes up the same amount of space as a regular bed, but it doesn't have anything valuable about it where a bunk bed could have two sims sleeping within the same 1x3 setup which is far more valuable.

i'm not overly thrilled about this pack honestly.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2020
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    The whole point of a Murphy bed is to save space right? So my question is if the bed is flat against the wall, do you think we will be able to place objects in front of it? Or will it act like there is a 3x2 space (or whatever it is) being taken up as though the bed were on the ground like a regular bed?

I get the feeling Sims can walk under it no problem but you won’t be able to put objects in those squares which would sort of defeat the purpose in my opinion.

The way murphy beds worked in previous games is that when it's closed the grid of the bed goes vertically. Which means you are able to place objects in that space.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    That was previous games though. This game isn't very tolerant of objects overlapping areas it requires for the object to work.

For example a dining chair and a fridge; the fridge requires the 1x1 space ahead of it for the door to open, for the rest of the time it is closed, however a dining chair tries to overlap it won't work because the chair needs the 1x1 behind it so the chair can pulled out for the sim to sit in and get out of, where the rest of the time it doesn't have any other function.

This murphy bed will the same in that respect, so again, what makes this fold out bed worth the effort in the end? If this had been requested i would of pointed this out at the time and said no, because it adds absolutely nothing other than an animation and storage option, but still occupies the same space it requires to unfold and settle on so a sim can sleep on it and then it is like any other bed.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

I think there is only one murphy bed and it's attached to the loveseat. I don't believe there is a 2nd murphy bed that isn't attached to the loveseat.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited January 2020

I think there is only one murphy bed and it's attached to the loveseat. I don't believe there is a 2nd murphy bed that isn't attached to the loveseat.

The first bed we see has the love seat. The one that bounces into the male sim later in the trailer doesn't have one. Neither does the one that pops up at the very end.

They're otherwise identical, so there maybe either animation shortcuts going on, or else as Chazzy hopes the loveseat is interchangeable/removable.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    IIRC, the Murphy beds in previous games were routable (can be walked through) when it's folded up, but you can't put furniture in that space because the game/sims won't know where to put those items when the bed is laid down.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Long live the Murphy bed!!! :D
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nt2551woo0Q
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I bet kids can’t even sleep in it 🤣
  • Options

OMG just imagine xD Did you notice how in the trailer there isn't a single kid? There doesn't even seem to be any clothes included for them or toddlers.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

OMG just imagine xD Did you notice how in the trailer there isn't a single kid? There doesn't even seem to be any clothes included for them or toddlers.

There was a toddler in the trailer, but all I could think of when I saw that was how little space that toddler would have to walk around until they have learned to climb stairs.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »

There was a toddler in the trailer, but all I could think of when I saw that was how little space that toddler would have to walk around until they have learned to climb stairs.

Yes but he didn't have any new stuff.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    logion wrote: »

Yes but he didn't have any new stuff.

Yeah...as usual the packs have mostly content for Young Adult sims.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    The toddler is walking by. Then the Murphy bed opens since an adult Sim has already triggered it.
    *SPLAT*
    Dead toddler.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited January 2020

Okay?

Just saying there's a missed opportunity here. A lot of requests are frequently falling on deaf dev ears. Been playing this series since first day of sims 1. I think I have every right to be a bit bummed that objects or things we have been requesting constantly get ignored.

Yup, there have been a lot more requests for double and raised beds & ladders & spiral staircases than murphy beds.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs