Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Is Roommate Rent Amount Determined?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
How do I get the most money out of these bums?

Better beds? Each roommate needs his own room? Total house value?

If you know, let me know.

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I've only done the roommate situation twice. Both times the amount the roommate paid in rent was half of what the bills were in the mail, but paid only once a week. All they required was their own bed, one of the roommates even shared a room with another sim.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I've only done the roommate situation twice. Both times the amount the roommate paid in rent was half of what the bills were in the mail, but paid only once a week. All they required was their own bed, one of the roommates even shared a room with another sim.

Interesting. Half the regular bills...

So you don’t think the type of beds or them sharing a room matters at all?

I’ve seen people say roommates pay rent twice/week: Wed & Sun but idk.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    In my game, they only paid once a week. As far as the bed I made sure the bed was one that I wouldn't mind my own sims would sleep in. I'd stay away from the uncomfortable setting.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    From what I got, my sim lived in an apartment, where rent was 1500, her roommate paid 108 a week. With basic/cheap items. I upgraded the fridge and added a microwave and roommates rent went up to 112 a week. I then added a washer and dryer, again, it went up a couple dollars. Over the course of a sim-generation, I added small upgrades and better furnishings and slowly the roommates rent went up.

Of course, had we not been in an apartment, and had our bills went up each week, the roommates "rent" would have been even more pathetic then it was. It never even got to 200 a week, which is just ridiculous. I doubt I'll be using the roommates much, unless a storyline calls for it, definitely not a way a offset bills.

But, as far as I figured out, it's determined by the value and quality of your furnishings/appliances.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    edited January 2020
    ... sigh. I just tried roommates for the first time. A $120k house with super nice furniture and nice beds and individual bedrooms and still only $250 out of each roommate. I made $750 and bills were $7k. I have a feeling $250 might be the max which is ridiculous because these NPCs can literally generate free simoleons. I literally checked their household funds from manage worlds. Still 20k. They eat everything from the fridge, leave dishes out, put books everywhere, and never flush the toilet, but they get to live with my played sims for nothing...
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    From what I got, my sim lived in an apartment, where rent was 1500, her roommate paid 108 a week. With basic/cheap items. I upgraded the fridge and added a microwave and roommates rent went up to 112 a week. I then added a washer and dryer, again, it went up a couple dollars. Over the course of a sim-generation, I added small upgrades and better furnishings and slowly the roommates rent went up.

Of course, had we not been in an apartment, and had our bills went up each week, the roommates "rent" would have been even more pathetic then it was. It never even got to 200 a week, which is just ridiculous. I doubt I'll be using the roommates much, unless a storyline calls for it, definitely not a way a offset bills.

But, as far as I figured out, it's determined by the value and quality of your furnishings/appliances.

So overall house value? Hmm...
    ... sigh. I just tried roommates for the first time. A $120k house with super nice furniture and nice beds and individual bedrooms and still only $250 out of each roommate. I made $750 and bills were $7k. I have a feeling $250 might be the max which is ridiculous because these NPCs can literally generate free simoleons. I literally checked their household funds from manage worlds. Still 20k. They eat everything from the fridge, leave dishes out, put books everywhere, and never flush the toilet, but they get to live with my played sims for nothing...

How many roommates did you have?

I got $400 before with 2 roommates but I can’t remember if that was the total or from each one.
  • tHe_silent_HtHe_silent_H Posts: 28 Member
    do they pay rent if you're off the grid?
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

Sounds like a few real life roommates I've had in the past. :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

do they pay rent if you're off the grid?

Good question, not sure.

Do you get bills off the grid?
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited January 2020
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Do you get bills off the grid?

Nope!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ShadyQuietShadyQuiet Posts: 1 New Member
    Atm I’m making a motel style situation and each roommate is paying 323 once a week on sundays. Conditions are fairly basic: 2 sims share a room, they get a fridge microwave sink toilet and shower, but there is a pool and some punching bags they can all use in the communal area which might be improving their rent?
    Still doesn’t feel like a lot of money, but I might try decorating/upgrading the rooms a bit and see if that improves things.
  • plauplau Posts: 183 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    How do I get the most money out of these bums?

Better beds? Each roommate needs his own room? Total house value?

If you know, let me know.

I wish the rent could be edited with MCCC like the we can edit the bill amount.. I don't see it there, so I hope it will be an option eventually. For now my solution is to add the right amount to the household funds by cheating, or else I wouldn't even bother getting a roommate, they're really annoying sometimes, my current roommate gets a new different boyfriend every week *eyeroll*.
  • theDuckndQuivertheDuckndQuiver Posts: 2 New Member
    > @lzbthnndgls said:
    > ... sigh. I just tried roommates for the first time. A $120k house with super nice furniture and nice beds and individual bedrooms and still only $250 out of each roommate. I made $750 and bills were $7k. I have a feeling $250 might be the max which is ridiculous because these NPCs can literally generate free simoleons. I literally checked their household funds from manage worlds. Still 20k. They eat everything from the fridge, leave dishes out, put books everywhere, and never flush the toilet, but they get to live with my played sims for nothing...

Hello! I built a townhouse and shared it on my sims gallery and it's valued at $187k, I played the roommates feature yesterday and after 1 sims week, I received my roommates rent payments amounting of $819 each :smile: I currently have 3 roomies, 1 young adult, and 1 young adult couple sharing a bed. Each room has a bed, table, computer, dresser and mini bookshelf. For the common area they have full bath, living and dining and the rooftop is the recreation area. I also have this observant trait added to my player sim, that way I can check their traits right away, and if they are slob then I won't be accepting them haha
  • theDuckndQuivertheDuckndQuiver Posts: 2 New Member
    > @plau said:
    > I wish the rent could be edited with MCCC like the we can edit the bill amount.. I don't see it there, so I hope it will be an option eventually. For now my solution is to add the right amount to the household funds by cheating, or else I wouldn't even bother getting a roommate, they're really annoying sometimes, my current roommate gets a new different boyfriend every week *eyeroll*.

I was watching youtube videos regarding roommate feature then I found this mod SNB(Sim Naitonal Bank) by simsrealist and it is a cool feature wherein you can adjust property taxes, bills and get some loans too :wink:
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited April 2021
    ChelleJo wrote: »

I wonder if the amount of space the roommates room has matters. I gave the Pleasants a roommate, and I was shocked at how low the rent was... lol, of course I gave her a very small room with only a cheap single bed, and there is a downstairs bathroom available to her, and most of the house is open. All the roommate does is bake cakes.... lol..... but she is skinny rofl....
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on