Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Might Have Solved It, Might Be Dangerous

Merry Christmas, to those who celebrate it. And a regular, run-of-the-mill hello to those who don't! ;)
I think I might have figured out how to always get my custom content in the game. Lately I've been repairing my game through Origin before each play, and then making sure the launcher says the items are installed before entering the game. It seems to be working; but I would like to know, is that dangerous? Because my brand new computer is extremely low on space. I deleted all my pictures, all my screenshots, and all my old games; but it hardly made a dent.
Be safe.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2019
    I doubt that repeatedly running Repair Game is really dangerous or anything, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

How low on space are we talking about? I mean, how large is the drive and how much free space is left on it? If you right-click on the drive under Computer, or "This PC," and select Properties, you should see Capacity, Used, and Free Space displayed.

Windows itself requires at least 35 GB of free space to maneuver itself properly, especially Win 10, and the game itself needs some too. If you are running all that tight on drive space, your game will not function correctly. After a certain point neither will the rest of your system if we are talking about the same drive where Windows is installed, web browsers won't be able to cache properly, etc. Many users also have more than one drive, but find they have let Windows, their game, and all manner of other things get all bunched up on a drive that is too small to host them all.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • RiverBlossomRiverBlossom Posts: 255 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    How low on space are we talking about? I mean, how large is the drive and how much free space is left on it?

The capacity is 223 GB, or 239,447,568,384 bytes. The used space is 220 GB, or 236,713,111,552 bytes. So when I click Properties, the coloring that depicts free space is just slightly wider than a fingernail. And I run Disk Cleanup all the time!
    Be safe.
    edited December 2019
    Is there another drive (like a D drive or whatever letter they may have assigned to it) on this computer? It's not unheard of to have only 256 GB (in your case 223 GB after some overhead and binary math roundoff) to work with although larger and thus more expensive drives give us more breathing room. One can certainly play TS3 on a drive of that size. But not with only 3 GB of free space, you need more like 35 GB. As said, Windows itself and other programs like web browsers cannot be expected to function well with no free space to work with, and the game will be expected to continuously malfunction as well.

Windows and just TS3 even with all EP/SPs do not take up as much space as that by themselves. So the challenge becomes finding out what else is. You've already looked at pictures, screenshots, and old games but that didn't account for much. Do you have other games besides TS3 installed on this drive? Any videos (movie files) maybe?

Possibly you have too many Restore Points. These are backup snapshots Windows takes of your system files when updates happen. To see how much drive space is being devoted to these, type Control Panel into the search bar box, then System > System Protection > Configure. Each individual Restore Point shouldn't be all that huge, but if there are too many then they can hog up all the space.needed for other things.

When you run Disk Cleanup, are you checking the box (button) that says Cleanup System Files? A lot space could be used up by former Windows build files, long since updated over, and could stand to be cleaned out by that utility.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Odd, after I get to the Control Panel, System Protection is not listed. But I will definitely delete my movies; right now, in fact. And yes, I click all the boxes.
    Be safe.
    edited December 2019
    It's Control Panel (to get the long complete list of control panels), then System, then System Protection should be one of four things that appear on the left side of the panel along with Device Manager, Remote Settings, and Advanced System Settings. This is the older fashioned looking classic Win 7 style of control panels, it hasn't supposed to have changed on Win 10.

If your control panels are showing up in bunches by category, first select View By Small Icons (or Large Icons if you prefer) or else one has to figure out where they are all hiding. Then System > System Protection > Configure.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Alright! That helped so much! Thank you. :)
    Be safe.
    @igazor I didn't see your last message; I guess you were editing it when I posted mine. But with your help, I do see the restore points. Thanks again.
    Be safe.