Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too many ADS!

WelshyWelshy Posts: 43 Member
edited December 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
so i opened up the game after the recent patch on the 12th Dec 2019 and was pretty surprised that the game has now moved the play button to the side and opted for a big ad in the middle for buying extra content! doesnt this seem a bit like over kill?

first the entier half of the screen was changed to feature EVERY SINGLE RELEASE that you can buy there and then...
now the top half is mostly MORE ADS!

sims team, i've played since TS1, before you filled your game with adverts and DLS in game, (remeber the in game catalogue in buy mode for buying more stuff straight from the store)

can we just enjoy the game we've paid for? without being pushed to check out the next title to purchase? are you guys turning the sims series into that much of a cash cow? i shouldn't have to pay £30+ for games and then open it up to just see advertisment for the next game i should buy!

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    ?. When I opened each box containing a new pack CD for Sims 1 and 2 it usually had an flyer to buy the next pack. Times change. It's only one page after all so ignore it. I find it useful as it sometimes has nice lots to look for in the Gallery.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It is the common "up in your face" advertising that companies know more gullible lemmings can't resist. At least that is how I see it. They kind of tries to do that by showing all the pack icons on the screen that a person owns. People who are are bothered by not owning all will eventually buy, at least that is the idea behind it.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I HATE ads but sims is the one exception. It doesn't bother me at all and I'm always excited for more packs, so I actually like the advertising. Plus I only see that screen for all of 2 seconds then I actually play the game lol.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I don't even look at them unless it's about community voting or something interesting - and it has to grab me fast because I'm not interested in the main menu, I want to play! I would buy it all without any advertisement besides being told there's a new pack out - that's how I bought most of them.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    The main menu is just a small space in the corner now, the rest is advertising. Considering how much all of the content in this game costs, even if you've bought a fraction of it I'd still find the advertisement to be sickly.

I own 51 games on PS4 and The Sims 4 is the only one to contain ads.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I just find it even more disappointing that they changed the look and layout of the main menu, if I remember correctly, 3 times now, each time changing the location of the play button.

Between that and the whole "rebranding" of The Sims 4, I really wonder if EA is paying the wrong departments too much money, as it seems they have nothing else to do. How about giving those resources and funding to 3D modelers and animations so the next time we get a camping pack that is separate from a decent vacation pack, we can actually get real bears and animals with more than 3 polygons?
  • WelshyWelshy Posts: 43 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    ?. When I opened each box containing a new pack CD for Sims 1 and 2 it usually had an flyer to buy the next pack. Times change. It's only one page after all so ignore it. I find it useful as it sometimes has nice lots to look for in the Gallery.

A flyer I wouldn't mind, because you can throw that away, this is something I'm going to see constantly whenever i open the game and it's only purpose is to get me to buy more titles instead of letting me enjoy the ones I've already got. I can't ignore it when it covers the majority of the screen & that's why it's done that way, so it's in people's face
    I HATE ads but sims is the one exception. It doesn't bother me at all and I'm always excited for more packs, so I actually like the advertising. Plus I only see that screen for all of 2 seconds then I actually play the game lol.

Usually I do too but I noticed the change, I was all up for playing it but after seeing how saturated it was in marketing it just put me off, to me it just feels like they're more concerned with selling more games than the experience of playing what you have. I'd like to point out ts3 had to put in a feature at the end to turn off certain expansion packs because they didn't optimise the ones people already bought.

Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I just find it even more disappointing that they changed the look and layout of the main menu, if I remember correctly, 3 times now, each time changing the location of the play button.

Between that and the whole "rebranding" of The Sims 4, I really wonder if EA is paying the wrong departments too much money, as it seems they have nothing else to do. How about giving those resources and funding to 3D modelers and animations so the next time we get a camping pack that is separate from a decent vacation pack, we can actually get real bears and animals with more than 3 polygons?

THIS! & principleofentropy, that's exactly my point.. it's almost like the sims is the new cash cow, when I played ts1 the whole point was to be innovative and do new things, now it's just to see how much money they can get out of the player.

I know some people have said this is just in the title screen and I know that's my main issue, but don't forget there's advertisement for packs in the world select and also in the in game gallery, I know ts3 had buy/build mode that you could spend money to buy new content, I'm not sure if that's in ts4 but I wouldn't be surprised and I've just had it turned off all this time.

But just dial down on the advertising. I know people say it's their marketing to make more money but I think it equally turns people off, I was actually looking at buying a bundle of ts4 till I opened the new menu, after seeing that it's more in my face It put me off, it's basically turned into opening a store menu and not a game.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    When was the play button in the middle? I feel like it’s been over to the side for a while now.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Still not really seeing it as marketing - especially since I've only ever been shown stuff for packs I already own?! The videos I think might be for all packs, not really sure as I haven't paid any attention since that update brought them. Since I've been playing Sims 4, the play button has been on the left side, and now the right - never the middle.

Not sure, as I haven't opened it for a while, but I think showing the packs you own is classic sims. Pretty sure Sims 2 had it, and even Sims 1. Can't tell you about Sims 3 as I never played it. Might have been on the launcher though, but I remember seeing it.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I mean, they’ve gotta advertise new packs somehow. Before I started looking at the forums, I don’t think I ever heard about new packs other than the in-game screen. Typically I don’t even notice it, though. I just click play and get on started.

Also, most games don’t operate under the business model of dozens and dozens of packs. They sell you one game and that’s it. Most PC or console games with online options (where in which you’re encouraged to purchase upgrades) typically have some crafty way of advertising the online option even in the normal campaign gameplay: See GTA4’s 2 stock markets and other features.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's a nag and very annoying. It's like when you get something for free and then while in the middle of something there pops up this nag to nag you into buying a full version, or the premium service or whatever. I usually delete stuff that nags me...including games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Speaking of annoying, what are those jumping things in the bottom right corner? Other than a total waste of space and resources. As noted above, EA needs to get its people working on something productive and useful, not needless trash.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited December 2019
    Speaking of annoying, what are those jumping things in the bottom right corner? Other than a total waste of space and resources. As noted above, EA needs to get its people working on something productive and useful, not needless trash.

It is a llama and the freezer bunny. They appear if you have a certain amount of dlc.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah it is as annoying as a Facebook ad honestly. Pretty much 85% of the screen is full of advertising to some point both paid and unpaid. Main menu gives me a headache as it is with the design choice let alone the annoyance of the packs. At least with Steam games, you aren't annoyed with in your face DLC like with Origin games. It is just an annoying EA thing they do thinking it will make people buy their games when it tends to only work on gullible people who will click bait anything or believe in the telemarketing calls actually come from the IRS or social security. Funny thing people call me pushy with things, but I think EA has got me beat easily. XD
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    What I find funny is the fact that I own everything, yet I'm still getting an advert to buy the vampire pack. lol You'd think with their collection of data, they'd know who has what in the game.

hvfgzzL.png
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

I'm still waiting for them to remove that "Maxis has favorited __" nonsense from my notifications. Here I am thinking someone is commenting or liking MY upload, and it's just Maxis doing something.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member

It is a llama and the freezer bunny. They appear if you have a certain amount of dlc.

And are both useless and annoying. If that is their idea of a reward for buying stuff it's a lame one. A loyal customer coupon would make more sense.
    Those are "rewards"? I thought everyone had them!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

edited December 2019

I believe you see the bunny and llama either when you own everything or when you’re not missing enough packs to create a bundle.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

I believe you see the bunny and llama either when you own everything or when you’re not missing enough packs to create a bundle.

That's possible because I have the 'build a bundle' thing there.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
    AH, okay. I had thought we all had them, thought it was just decorations. lol
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!