Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Long Life

So, a friend and I were debating. I'm thinking of starting a rotational game on the long life setting, which I've never used. She says this is "cheating" because Sims will be able to earn more skills, money, etc in a lifetime and will make the game dull and easy. So my question is: Do you consider playing on long life cheating or not?

Long Life 137 votes

Yes, it's cheating.
0%
Alexai 1 vote
No, it's not cheating.
94%
Akl500PCK213bshag4lvGoldmoldarKita5399JaseLaBlue0314alan650111IceyJMartinvrudolphaTWSimGamer82lisamwittCamkatPlayerSinger2010Isb917joelygirlsims2simm621Bloosmooasimbsim 129 votes
Other. Please comment below.
5%
friendlysimmersAssimuloSimtown15Chazzzysimms745MrSunshinenerdfashion 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    quækquæk Posts: 45 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    It’s just a style of playing — and considering there really is no end goal to the Sims, I don’t think there is any way to really ‘cheat’ in the traditional sense :)

I personally like the long life setting because I enjoy seeing my Sims max out certain skills but don’t want to just make them grind those skills all day every day. And I absolutely love transforming my founder Sims’ humble settlements into a grand manor with all the money we get ;)
  • Options
    TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    It's not cheating. You can control how fast your sims skill up and earn money. if you want a sim to die broke and homeless, it's definitely in your power to control that at any life span.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • Options
    LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Wow, 100% say it is not cheating. You may want to break the news, kindly. :)
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    You don't have to pull up the cheat menu to use it or use any work-arounds to earn it. No mods, nothing.

It's a feature in the game. A setting.

Not cheating.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    I often think this should be the "normal" setting.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    It is an option. Not a cheat.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Not at all. Play the way you want to play.
    I play with aging off... and don't consider it cheating, it's the way I played sims in the past and is another option now.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    No, when I create a sim I want him or her to last for a while. If I set the lifespan to normal it'll be all over before I'm halfway through his/her goals. xD I only use normal lifespan if my sim is a vampire or a spellcaster (after potion of rejuvenation is discovered).
  • Options
    LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Considering all I’ve done these days is plan on the long life-span I don’t think it could be considered cheating. My Sims have all the time they need to go on their own journeys, and drop hints what they want to develop and what they want to do. Most of the time a sim will only max out one, maybe two skills at most... so I don’t go all out with them!
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Well the game doesn’t count it as cheating..?

I guess that’s the difficulty setting, as obviously a shorter lifespan makes it more challenging to complete aspirations, careers and raise a family etc. The longer the lifespan, the easier and more forgiving the game gets. But like everyone has been saying it allows to create different play styles. We see from these kind of polls there are lots of people who play with aging off too, as they don’t like the idea of their sims getting old lol..

I see what your friend is saying though. It’s easy to end up with a mansion and fortune by the time your founder sim hits elder when playing a legacy challenge on long lifespan, which kinda eliminates the whole challenge..?
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    In addition, I'd like to say that in my opinion it's only cheating when codes or mods are used. ;)
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    I don't see this as cheating. Yes, your sim gets more time to do things, making it easier to complete multible aspirations, get to the top of their career and get some bonus levels, get toddlers that Top Notch Toddler trait, may out many skills and more. Long lifespan is simply normal times 4.
    Benefits for me are that as I'm a rotational player who only has the active household age, I get longer time to play with an household and get less dramatic effects from CAS aging glitch. Though one disadvantage is that it can be too long. Adults and younger sims can be aged up simply with a birthday cake/age up treat, but if I want an elder to die by old age, I'll have to get the AllCheats mod and use cheats to do it (more annoying with pets as I have to get their SimID first and that SimID can't be copied).

Usually when I think about cheating, it's filling the needs to the max and freezing them that was, maxing out skills instantly, getting from career level 1 to 10 in a one day (+ 50 bonus levels for higher salary), giving your sim many beneficial traits and university degrees so you'll have to scroll a lot to get to the bottom of the Simology panel, instantly maxing out your sim's fame level or reputation ect. At long life span, you do have more time, but you still have to work towards happier and richer sims. So I don't see it as cheating. Rather I see it as a less stressful patience training.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    While the game is tuned around normal lifespan, I feel like normal is too short. Either way, it's a choice present in the game so I can't see it as cheating.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    how could a deliberate in game life span option be cheating i-
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Its a casual game that each player gets to decide how they move forward and how long sims do anything. You have to enter a code or mess with it to "cheat" enjoy the game how you prefer without a concern.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    edited December 2019
    No, it's not cheating.
    No and you can try to find mods to re-balance that. I don't know what's available now for TS4, but I loved the mod to stop skills, I wished it were available for toddler. Some people, for example, could always stay terrible cooks. Awesome. :) I don't think TS4 has anything like what Relativity does for skills slowing to lifespan though. :/ MC Command Center????? Honestly that should be built into the game with the vanilla lifespan options, it only makes sense.

I find short life sad and annoyingly unrealistic. It's not for me at all! (ETA: by short life I actually mean EVERY vanilla lifespan option, tehe.)

The Sims doesn't really have cheating, it's a different game/toy.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Nope, it's not cheating. As someone else said, it's just changing a game setting. The game is meant to be played how you want to.

I've used motherlode to edit different households and to add concepts that hadn't been in the game. I'll use less of it now that I have an established save and we have a better way to give inheritances. I never felt sorry for that. Not all of my households were "rags to riches".

I've never really cheated needs. I have occasionally added a specific reward trait for "story-telling purposes" but not often. I've heavily edited sims in CAS whenever I want to during gameplay.

The features including the cheats are made to be used or not. Lengthening the lifespan just means that you want to spend more time with a sim. With my large rotation, it is as though sims are already around for a long while so I don't play on long. I'm also not specifically attached to one household. I play on normal but I pause aging a lot so mine is a customized approach.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    I guess that means playing with aging off is super cheating.

Also like everyone else said it's a casual game meant to played however you want, even if it was cheating there is no competition between players built into the game so it really doesn't matter.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Nope, not in my mind is it cheating...now giving my sims Potions of Youth out the wazoo would be cheating, but not long life span. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    No not cheating, but then again, I don't consider half the cheat "cheating" either lol.

It depends on the game play.

For example the "money" cheat where you can instantly give your Sim any amount of money. I use this a lot to create a diverse neighbourhood. Some Sims are rich and famous, most are not. I play a story line and the "getting famous" isn't part of it, this Sim is supposed to already be a rich celebrity at the start of the story I'm telling. So I don't consider it a cheat to use it to get there. However, if it was being used at the start of a rags to riches challenge or any similar storyline, than it would be. THat's the nice thing about Sims 4... most the tools are there to make the game anything you want and you aren't competing with someone, so feel free to use them.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    I like the long life, as normal seems to be a bit too short for me. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited December 2019
    It's not cheating, but I find the long lifespan so boring and tedious that it would probably be better to just only age one household at a time.

Edit: At normal or short lifespan. Sorry.
    Post edited by nerdfashion on
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I always play with aging off. But this thread has me curious. Maybe I will try a new save where I set aging to long and see how it goes.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Seriously, no. I must be the worst criminal in the world then, as I have a modified normal that doubles the length of their days in each stage but baby. Normal is just too short, but long is OMG too long for me lol. I don't particularly think most of the cheats are cheating either, depending on how and when they are used. Setting up a story? Not cheating. Motherloding a nonstory legacy founder? Cheating. It's very situational. But changing game settings? Never.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    No, it's not cheating.
    Well said WildIrishBanshee. I like setting up a story with some randomness, of course.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png