Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please: Remove the "Idle Chat"!

The "Idle chat" is when a NPC starts a chat with any sims (your played sims or another NPC). I know many simmers know what I'm talking about. Many of them use this definition: Idle Chat. I do not like this feature, it was added at some point. I was waiting for EA-Maxis team to fix it or remove it! But nothing. I'm tired of it and with DU I really had enough. Here are some of the issues with this Idle Chat:

1. The idle chat is useless, your sims do not make acquataince of the sims who start this empty chat, it will not fill your social needs.

2. Worst: the idle chat breaks your action queu. If you are at a huge map (Sulani, Windenburg, Uni maps) and your sim is target for a idle chat, well, go and make you a cup of coffee because even if you cancel the action it will take some sims minutes to be actually canceled. Usually the chating sim is at the most distant point from your sim.

3. At huge maps the idle chat is the culprit of some lag issues and weird glitches (Sulani, wink, wink!)

4. At University idle chat is a culprit for your sims going late to their classes. Worst: if your sims try to do their work a roommate is ready to start the idle chat! (OMG even the librarians are doing this).

5. At Foxbury (DU) idle chat is a culprit for the glitchy stairs!

6. Are your sims on a date! Forget about it, the idle chat will ruin the event.

7. Idle chat is an infamous net at bars and nightclubs: I saw up to 10 sims trapped in this idle chat in front of the DJ or the barman. This sims do not do anything but bla bla bla chat, they do not dance, listen to music, drink their beverages or use any other stuff that is at the lot. Worst: if the barman or any sim needs to go out, bam! all the trapped sims are reset (T shape), they throw their drinks or look like they are lost. As I'm playing Sims 4 since day one I know this lots were really fun before, and sims always, ALWAYS, used all the stuff before the idle chat feature.

All of these are some examples, they are many features that are interrupted because of the idle chat. I want to believe this feature was implemented to give "more life" to the game. It is not working! This feature is killing the gameplay.

Please, Ea-Maxis, anyone, fix it, lower it down, but if this is not possible just remove the Idle Chat from Sims 4.

Thanks.

Comments

• CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I hate it so much I use a mod to remove it. Makes gameplay so much more tolerable. Idle chat is absolutely useless, I agree.

Link?
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I use "Have Some Personality Please!" by Polarbearsims ( http://modthesims.info/d/594573/have-some-personality-please.html ) since it removes the idle chat but I also like the added features for better Sim autonomy. Zero also has a mod that just removes the idle chat without any extra features. https://www.patreon.com/posts/fix-for-mods-30431338

Thanks!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I worry that if Maxis removes idle chat, then that would break the immersion even more because most sims does not know each other. The mod "Have some personality please" does remove idle chat, so I would use that.

I completely agree on the issue where sims want to idle chat with you from a mile away though... if closing the conversation by clicking on it in the lower left does not work, then if you play with testingcheats on, you can try shift-clicking your sim and click reset, that will solve most issues where the game locks your sim from doing anything.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited December 2019
    One thing that infuriates me is when an NPC decides to chat your Sim up, but you cannot cancel it from the action queue. That gets me twitching. I don't want any forced actions on my Sim.

I don't mind regular idle chatter in a public space where it would be normal, as I find that pretty natural and immersive. I'm not a control freak. It's just a few specific situations that bother me.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    I've never had a bit problem with this idle chat thing. When did they add it in? I thought npcs coming to chat with my sims have always been there at community lots since the beginning. 😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    The idle chat drives me nuts too, particularly in restaurants and gyms. To manage it, I use MCCC (the cheat that forces a Sim to leave a lot) and Zero's mod. But here's hoping that Maxis tunes this down at some point.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I sadly have to agree. It's not that i want them totally anti social but all they want to do in community lots is chat chat chat. And I cancel cancel cancel. Which takes forever. The worst is when enemies idle chat after mean interactions and I desperately try to cancel but they start making friends again. 😭
    Other times I'm trying to set up poses for my storyline. Idle chat idle chat.
    I don't think they should take it away entirely but tone it down. That's why I feel like townies have no life. They just want to chat which dominates everything else. It just needs balance. I might download that mod but I try to keep mods and cc to a minimum to avoid problems and last exceptions. So that's annoying 😔
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I agree, it's so annoying! Trying to get two Sims to have arguments or get into a fight is a struggle because the idle chat keeps trying to make everyone friends and live happily ever after. I had a Sim from the opposing University come onto campus to deface the statue and I sent one of my mean Sims to pick a fight but between every interaction they were suddenly pleasantly chatting. It's ridiculous.

And I've had the group T-pose reset a few times in my dorm as well. The idle chatting just escalates until it's out of control.
    #Team Occult
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited December 2019
    Ok, I'll admit that I like this. It makes places feel lively and I like to have various sims interact with each other. I get the frustration at awkward moments like heading to a class but venues are supposed to be lively. I'd rather they are chatting than that they just sit around silently.

Sure, it might be good to add new random animations for them. That might make the game feel a bit fresher. I don't mind some chat though.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I use the "Have some personality please mod". I love the affect it has on my sims behavior.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I use the "Have some personality please mod". I love the affect it has on my sims behavior.

Same here, and I combine it with roBurky’s meaningful stories which has a major effect on making moodlets more realistic and my sims feel more real to me now.

Same here, and I combine it with roBurky’s meaningful stories which has a major effect on making moodlets more realistic and my sims feel more real to me now.

Same and I have Slice of Life as well. All these mods make the game feel more realistic and the sims much more interesting to watch.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I just downloaded some of the Slice of Life package files so I'm curious about how it will change my game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Same and I have Slice of Life as well. All these mods make the game feel more realistic and the sims much more interesting to watch.

I also use SOL, and I love it!
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    For some reason, I get the impression that some of you want Sims to do absolutely nothing unless you tell them to. Personally, I wouldn't want the game to be like that.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited December 2019
    Nindigo wrote: »
    For some reason, I get the impression that some of you want Sims to do absolutely nothing unless you tell them to. Personally, I wouldn't want the game to be like that.

Not me. I love the randomness of autonomy in the game. I can't imagine playing without it.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

Not entirely. What I want is for npcs and sims I'm not playing to have a life. I want to see them doing activites,playing together,just doing things in the background according to where you are. What I get is sims barely doing much of anything except walking around and trying to chat in my ear constantly. To the point of annoyance. It can't be just me right? :D
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yep, it’s useless and I mod it out of my game with Have Some Personality Please. Apparently it takes a modder to realize that the idle chat should be replaced by actual meaningful socials.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Never noticed the idle chat thing in my game. I kind of enjoy the friendly townies. I am at Uni with 3 students that are siblings. They are living in the house at Foxbury. Their roommate is invisible. It's weird! When he goes to class all that I see is the floating home work. He has a mean girlfriend and will probably use the cheat and delete a bed so they go away. No stair glitches yet.

Actually the More Personality mod stops the idle chatter which is replaced by more autonomous action, so sims actually do more stuff of their own accord and so you end up with more random quirkiness in your game. It’s great!
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I just play with testing cheats on. When someone is going to do that, I just reset them. Sometimes I can't locate them and just reset my sim. This is a real pain at times but still faster than waiting for the action to complete. Also, you can't do it in restaurants unless you are ready for your sim to leave.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I feel like idle chat is to simulate things happening with the Sims but without anything actually happening. But the way it's implemented is kind of odd. Like when some random Sim from across the lot just decides they want to chat with you. It's like why? Or the thing that gets me the most is Sims that decide they need to join an existing conversation. It's like go away we are having a moment here.

It's hard. I want that livelihood happening. But I want it to be different than it is.