Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What To Do When You Suspect Your Sims' File Is Corrupted?

Hi. I will start this off by admitting, in type, that I am the Queen of Restarts. But, after what I just went through I'm not quite sure I have the 'energy' to put into yet another restart. Since I just began a new game save, after my latest disaster. My problem is, I used a brand new mod, by a trusted modder, that turned out to be buggy. I had to do work-arounds to first, amend the situation one of my Sims was trapped in, via the mod, and then when I did, I got her back, but my UI was suddenly missing (among other problems that cropped up). I could no longer get into the lot to play these Sims. Suffice it to say, a restart had to take place. The other game save was completely unplayable. As for this new mod I was just experimenting with — I've removed it from my game. I will not be replacing it until I have assurances such bugginess has been resolved.

Whenever we start a new family in CAS, even if it's a copy from our library, another copy is made when you click that check-mark to start them in the game. I now have reason to believe that one of my Sims (my main Sim) has become corrupted. Two things that have me worried. A time before, just after IL was released, I made the mistake of thinking that since MCCC passed muster with the Patch, that Road to Fame would therefore be okay. Face/palm. It wasn't okay. Not only that, it turned out there was a newer version than the one I had. My Sim was unable to perform a live concert. :open_mouth: I went to the modder's Discord to ask for help. Two people over there gave me their complete attention. Doing the things they asked and reporting back to them, I discovered that none of the other Sims could perform a live concert (this after cheating them up to the level where it should be possible). Then I was asked to start a brand new game save with a brand new Sim and cheat that Sim to the point where they could perform live concerts. That worked. Even as a teen, he could perform live concerts, which is how the mod is supposed to work. The verdict came down that not only was my older save corrupted, but since taking the one Sim into a new game save didn't work, that my singer Sim was corrupted, too. Oh, the horror.

Based on this, I'm fearing that the copy of him is somehow corrupt. He can't perform a live concert, plus, for some really odd reason he has a trait that could only have come from that other mod. It makes me wonder, if somehow, I grabbed the wrong 'copy' of this family? I just had started anew again, too. With all of the crappola going on in my country these days, I really need this game as an escape. But, right now, it, too, is causing me stress.

Is there some way of actually learning if a Sim has become corrupted? Can I simply remove this family and replace them with a copy, even if I use that lone copy of Erik to create his family all over again? Or do you think the game save is also corrupted and I should just suck it up, take the time to set-up the neighborhoods in another brand new save and quit whining?

Please and thank you, in advance, for any words of wisdom, and advice you care to give.

Thank you,

~GalacticGal
You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Comments

• Options
    purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    I haven't got any answers but perhaps if someone was willing to test out Erik and they have the same problems then maybe it would confirm that he is broken :(
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Isnt the game supposed to make 5 backup copies of your current saves, cant you just restore it to a state prior using the buggy mod? Maybe starting today you should use save as instead of save, as well as making one before and after installing/updating your mod.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    edited December 2019
    izecson wrote: »
    Isnt the game supposed to make 5 backup copies of your current saves, cant you just restore it to a state prior using the buggy mod? Maybe starting today you should use save as instead of save, as well as making one before and after installing/updating your mod.

Thank you for responding, both of you. I do use Save As, but that doesn't remove the weird trait my singer Sim has from the mod I removed. (Which I suspect is the cause of any corruption.) Rolling back to a save where I used a mod that's no longer in my game may very well corrupt that file, too. I'm not entirely sure how that works, but I can assure you the Sim that was kidnapped will likely just be gone from the game, for good.

This is what I'm up against. When I started this family, ready to experiment with this new mod, it was whole. Two parents of five children, four teens and one child. The mod managed to take out both the mother and the only daughter, in round one. No matter, I picked myself up and dusted myself off and opened another new game save for round two. This time my singer Sim was taken out by a mad taxi that blew right through their house and struck him down dead on the side patio. I started yet another save, family intact. This time, an Arsonist set fires all over their front porch. (The house is a mansion, the Wright Way House from Sims2.) While the mother was yet inside, I had the father and the teens working to extinguish the fires out front.) In the end, the mother was found dead in the living room. My singer Sim fell ill with a fatal disease, but I couldn't get him to the hospital for the surgery required to (hahaha) save him until they got the last of the fires put out. And believe me, that Arsonist was fully committed to setting fires all over their yard! Erik did manage to get to the hospital and he also managed to survive the rather low 20% chance of successful surgery. I decided to continue on with this save. Yes, they were all torn apart over the loss of their mother, but for once I decided to face the adversity of it, (since I liked the mod for the random threat it presented). One at a time I aged the teens up to YA so I could send them to uni together.
    eFcpGqj.jpg

6CdQXAb.jpg

CkXUr5V.jpg

FEqmYiS.jpg

2GvRFAI.jpg

hJoDdFA.jpg

Brianna being carried off:
    FJL6v4w.jpg

The daughter, just as they were all entering their fifth term, was kidnapped. The game got caught in a tape-loop where there never was any hope of a resolution, despite my Sims paying her captors over §40000. No worries, Erik was able to make money while at the U. But, the scenario that was supposed to play out according to the YouTube 'walk-thru' of this new mod just wasn't happening. When I went back to Discord, I was told by one in the know that the mod was buggy. I was able to use Summon Sim via MCCC and bring her back, but after I used the game cheat reconnect as family, that's when my game save blew apart. I deleted the saves folder, removed the buggy mod, and started over.

I have only played this particular game save since last Friday. I was checking Erik's Traits for some reason and that's when I noticed the curious Reaper's Scythe trait. He had that one in the game save that is no more. I believe it was after he survived that Fatal Disease. I'm uncertain how this copy of him has it. Something is amiss. I am thinking I may as well start the entire family from scratch going back to the lone copy of Erik I created when I decided to bring him forward from Sims3, as my Founder in Pinstar's Legacy Challenge.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    You can't remove the trait with a cheat?
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    The game has always wigged out for me at about the 3rd generation. I expect it and just start another save when wacky stuff happens. My Sims and houses are on the gallery so they are safe. I find it disappointing that I can't get settled in with one save.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    The game has always wigged out for me at about the 3rd generation. I expect it and just start another save when wacky stuff happens. My Sims and houses are on the gallery so they are safe. I find it disappointing that I can't get settled in with one save.

Seriously, I haven't experienced that problem. I do find that "Save As" is one way to help avoid such corruption of files. (Learned this way back in Sims3.) I have played Pinstar's Legacy Challenge, which requires you get all the way to the tenth generation. Your heir is not allowed to move out of the legacy house, either, so it isn't a matter of moving Sims around to other lots. I think I may have had to re-download the Legacy lot a couple of time, however, if memory serves. The family I'm playing at the moment is ground Zero, if you will. First generation. I am hoping to expand this to more generations, though. I keep running into snags. Yesterday, I totally started over. I decided to select a skilled copy of my family from My Library (which helps dramatically in cutting the set-up time). I even checked Erik's traits. No Reaper's Scythe as a Trait, phew! I began play in the Spring, with the notion I would have them all, their baby brother included, quit school for the length of Summer. This would give my potential celebrity the time he needs to work on earning those all-important stars of fame. And to write songs, etc. . I don't know what made me check his traits again. Maybe my Guardian Angel, who knows? But I did and to my horror suddenly he had that Scythe Trait. Since the language, beyond the word trait, didn't show up, I'm confounded as to what it actually means.

So, yesterday, I drew in a deep breath and decided I would take the entire family into cas.fulleditmode (I had written down Erik's Skills and level for each of them prior) and I substituted Erik for himself, using his full name of Erik James Cantrell. Then I aged the YA (created to be my Founder for the Legacy Challenge back in 2014), to teen, changed his hair and his wardrobe and made sure he had the appropriate family ties. I put them back into the game, purchased a text book for him and sat him down to do his homework. I checked his traits, just to be certain, so far, so good. No Scythe Trait. Time ran out for my gaming session, as it was growing late and I had to get dinner started. I will check on him again today to make certain that eerie trait hasn't attached itself to him again.

Thing is, I no longer have that mod in my game. And, yes, I always delete the localthumbcache.package before I play. Every. Single. Time. It's totally weird, but if it persists I will uninstall and re-install my game all over again just to be certain I've rid it of any legacy bits from that mod. Then I will take a copy of the lone Erik, remake his parents from him, and generate his siblings from them using the DNA icon. This has got to stop.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    :D:D:D wow. I wish I could help but I've never heard of a problem like this. You scare me because I use mods. I had a corrupted save from bad cc or mods once but nothing strange like this. I was able to download my family from the gallery in a new save and everything was normal again. That's why I try hard to keep my mods to the absolute minimum and just deal with a lot of annoyances sims have. And I believe I know what mod you are referring to but I guess we cant talk about it lol :D I'm staying away from it. :#
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Have you tried resetting your entire Sims4 folder before downloading a new copy of your sims?

Also, before adding your saves folder back to your fresh Sims4 folder check to be sure this mod doesn’t create its own folder within your saves folder, some mods do. If there is one you need to delete it, because those are settings particular to the mod that are attached to your saves.
  • Options
    Yeah, I do have to say I keep my mods and cc to a bare minimum. I use MCCC and Road to Fame, Khitsule's Pointy Ears and that's pretty much it. I do have roBurky's Meaningful Stories in place at the moment, but it worked just fine with the others. At least, it knows how to place nice. LOL The only thing that wasn't quite working well was that other mod. This after I removed the latest installed mods, one at a time, to see which one was the culprit. I had a total of five mods, maximum. (Compared to the 20+ NRaas, Industries mods I needed just to stabilize Sims3).

Unfortunately, I didn't get too far into gameplay this morning, before that creepy trait showed up. I was attempting to set the Road to Fame mod, as it allows you to enable or disable certain aspects of it. I can turn off, for instance, Erik's reaction to other celebrities. I know that totally bugs some players. Sounds as if Sacrificial has given that some heed and made a way for us to turn it off. Some of the interactions are a bit obscure. I'm guessing English isn't his first language. I'm thinking I'm allowing something, only to discover when I check his traits, that I've inadvertently excluded Erik from what I wanted for him. Face/palm. It was in doing this check that I saw the dreaded Reaper's Scythe. Before I scrap this game save I will cheat him up just to see if he can hold a live concert, being a teen. If he can I will have to realize whatever the trait may mean, it's not necessarily a bad thing as I suspected. If he can't, I'll throw out the save entirely, start another brand new save using the lone Erik to create his parents, and from there create his siblings from their parents. I may just see what happens before I do all of that, if I adjust the RTF interactions on a sibling or two, just for fun. That might tell me a great deal.
  • Options
    Have you tried resetting your entire Sims4 folder before downloading a new copy of your sims?

Also, before adding your saves folder back to your fresh Sims4 folder check to be sure this mod doesn’t create its own folder within your saves folder, some mods do. If there is one you need to delete it, because those are settings particular to the mod that are attached to your saves.

I will likely go ahead and do the uninstall/re-install thing one. more.time. Before I put a new save in place. To the best of my knowledge, and I will doublecheck the brand new saves folder (I totally deleted the other one) to see if there is any craziness going on. But, as I noticed just today, that' Reaper Trait showed up once I set Road to Fame the way I wanted it. :open_mouth: Face/palm.
  • Options
    I’m really sorry this is happening to you. It sounds infuriating. I know from your posts how attached you are to Erik and his family and I hope you can find a resolution soon.
  • Options
    Yeah, I do have to say I keep my mods and cc to a bare minimum. I use MCCC and Road to Fame, Khitsule's Pointy Ears and that's pretty much it. I do have roBurky's Meaningful Stories in place at the moment, but it worked just fine with the others. At least, it knows how to place nice. LOL The only thing that wasn't quite working well was that other mod. This after I removed the latest installed mods, one at a time, to see which one was the culprit. I had a total of five mods, maximum. (Compared to the 20+ NRaas, Industries mods I needed just to stabilize Sims3).

Unfortunately, I didn't get too far into gameplay this morning, before that creepy trait showed up. I was attempting to set the Road to Fame mod, as it allows you to enable or disable certain aspects of it. I can turn off, for instance, Erik's reaction to other celebrities. I know that totally bugs some players. Sounds as if Sacrificial has given that some heed and made a way for us to turn it off. Some of the interactions are a bit obscure. I'm guessing English isn't his first language. I'm thinking I'm allowing something, only to discover when I check his traits, that I've inadvertently excluded Erik from what I wanted for him. Face/palm. It was in doing this check that I saw the dreaded Reaper's Scythe. Before I scrap this game save I will cheat him up just to see if he can hold a live concert, being a teen. If he can I will have to realize whatever the trait may mean, it's not necessarily a bad thing as I suspected. If he can't, I'll throw out the save entirely, start another brand new save using the lone Erik to create his parents, and from there create his siblings from their parents. I may just see what happens before I do all of that, if I adjust the RTF interactions on a sibling or two, just for fun. That might tell me a great deal.

There has to be some kind of a file somewhere that keeps writing that trait to your sim, even though you have removed the mod that generates it.
  • Options

There has to be some kind of a file somewhere that keeps writing that trait to your sim, even though you have removed the mod that generates it.

Problem is, as I was experimenting, again today, I noticed that the Road to Fame mod is the one giving that trait! There is a way to set that mod to how you wish it to perform: enable Get Famous Celebrity System; enable Road to Fame Celebrity System; allow to be noticed; allow to spawn Obsessed fans; enable paparazzi; et cettera. You can also select an option to keep your Sim from reacting to other celebrities. When I go to click on enable Road to Fame Celebrity System, the Sim that is active is given said Trait. :open_mouth: I was wrong to think it was the other mod. I have used RTF for quite some time and am very shocked and surprised to see this trait. I had never seen it prior to using the other mod, so you can perhaps understand how it's origin was misunderstood. It doesn't give an explanation, just says it's a Personality Trait. :'( What, does it mean he's going to make a killing in the entertainment field? I'm lost. But since I did that little experiment, I rolled back the game save and just picked up from there. Unless something goes terribly awry, I'm just not going to worry about this strange, creepy trait. LOL
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣a killing in the entertainment field lololol. I'm glad you figured it out. I would have never suspected that mod!! Thanks for letting us know.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    I'm glad I did, too. It really had me worried. My next move was going to be a repair game, and if that didn't 'fix' it I was going to go through the uninstall/re-install process. Oi!