Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

They're never going to add full actual religion into the game, and that's okay. But what if they did

Comments

• ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited December 2019
    @leo3487 wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    They should allow ALL lifestyles, not just the chosen few. That's just prejudice & hypercritical.
    Fair is Fair.

hey chosen the less controversal ones
    LGBT is not so controversial as religions, in fact there are lot more consensus
    Also most religions are againsr LGBT, the sims is LGBT-friendly

I would say people use the religion to justify their bad actions.
    You know there are very religious LGBT persons too, it doesn't stop them to be LGBT-friendly.

It doesnt really matter if theres a handful of accepting groups within religion. This is the exception to the rule. Most of them teach their followers to hate and do terrible things to LGBT people and have for a long long time. Even if there are a handful of groups who are accepting it's extremely triggering to see groups who traditionally advocate for your death represented in your game as a good thing.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,229 Member
    edited December 2019
    The Sims is the best place to rewrite the rules.

Discover University provide another cult with the secret society.
    The human religions can't be in the game but the sims can still believe in something (Sprites, Sulani Elementals, ...).

It makes me think about the dark witches and the ancient occult cult, it could be nice.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    edited December 2019
    I never mentioned LGBT. All I ever said is fair is fair & that all lifestyles should be allowed, not just one sided. That's just dictatorship.
    I believe in freedom.
  • Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    Wouldn't it be funny if the sims worshipped us, the player? I mean we are literally God to them haha
  • Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 46 Member
    > @xHeliodora said:
    > I’d love to have the Peteran and Jacoban church branches that were in TSM!

I was just about to say this. I would love to see those make a return (maybe in TS5). I think all sims should start neutral/agnostic and you can choose for them to believe in those religions or not.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny if the sims worshipped us, the player? I mean we are literally God to them haha

I already created a holiday dedicated to worshipping me in my game! They go to a service, sing songs about how wonderful and gracious I am and since Im just so benevolent, I have them fight instead of requiring brutal sacrifices. I love it xD
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Why can’t the club feature be used to create religion in the game for those who want it? I’ve done it. The club activities included singing, reading, listening to speeches, and it some cases eating food to simulate church potlucks, or socials, I’ve even had the be mean to... as an activity to simulate the conflict between different religions. I mean that’s all organized churches are is clubs that meet in their clubhouses to do their club specific activities. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I just don’t see the need for devs to program a system into the game that basically already exists for those willing to take the time to set it up when so many are complaining already about them recycling elements and presenting them as new as it is. Not to mention that many of us may not want it as a permanent part of our game. The club system allows for anyone to have it if they choose to, and not have it at all if they don’t.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »

Also, I think they did have it in Sims midevil and I don't remember hearing anyone complain about it being in there, that I can remember.

The Sims Midieval has a Western European setting and mimicked that time period - religion was very big then and had political and economic clout. That's why it was included in the game.

We're talking about the main game series, The Sims. I like that it had been neutral all this time, but they had always made the games moddable so that you can add them in. I'd really like it if they kept it that way. Keep religion and politics out of it. Let the modders create whatever religion and politic mods people want.

• Big JoeBig Joe Posts: 47 Member
    Paralee wrote: »
    @leo3487 wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    They should allow ALL lifestyles, not just the chosen few. That's just prejudice & hypercritical.
    Fair is Fair.

hey chosen the less controversal ones
    LGBT is not so controversial as religions, in fact there are lot more consensus
    Also most religions are againsr LGBT, the sims is LGBT-friendly

I would say people use the religion to justify their bad actions.
    You know there are very religious LGBT persons too, it doesn't stop them to be LGBT-friendly.

It doesnt really matter if theres a handful of accepting groups within religion. This is the exception to the rule. Most of them teach their followers to hate and do terrible things to LGBT people and have for a long long time. Even if there are a handful of groups who are accepting it's extremely triggering to see groups who traditionally advocate for your death represented in your game as a good thing.

Well, technically, in Sims Medieval, both Jacoban and Peteran religions never really had those Anti-LGBT features. They're not even real religions, just parodies of religions.
    Jprp83 wrote: »

In Sims Medieval, they did worship us. We were just simply called, The Watcher.
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    Do not like this idea.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I would be ok if they added a made up religion. I know events and thing can be done with Seasons and Get Together. Gallery has a lot of neat content that people have built too. I would love to see DrGluon's Jerry expanded in the game more or the house of Timmy play out. The mother in Strangeville is a pretty cool nature god in the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • AmTk86AmTk86 Posts: 80 Member
    I had this thought of what if they added three made-up ideologies in-game; a monotheistic one where the sims worship the player, a polytheistic one where the sims worship the dev team, and an atheistic one where the sims know they are just a bunch of code in a simulation
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I don't think religion would bring much to the gameplay. We have a sort of religion in TS4 with the Do Good Challenge, and it's always possible to create holidays and group gatherings to mimic any kind of made-up religion if you like. And if you want to pray there's always the wishing well.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Yeah, it’s possible to simulate religion (if you squint) in a single household, assuming everyone in that house is meant to share a belief system. Not so easy if you want, for example, a Christian and Jewish set of roommates to each celebrate their own holidays but not each other’s. But it’s not really simulated in the world, and to me that’s different. Your sims can’t “go to church” and meet new people who you didn’t arrange to be there and have to pretend entirely in your head share a religion. Sims aren’t going to autonomously leave for a worship service once a week like they might for scouts.

And, again, clubs have a limit of 8 people in them, and player-led clubs will never autonomously start a meeting, which is really not a good simulation of a whole belief system. And club rules only apply when the club meetings are active. You can’t make a club simulate the constant practice of a belief in daily life AND the gathering of a community on special occasions for special reasons with the current model.

The idea of being able to manage the rules for different “traditions” from manage worlds and the let those traditions run on their own when you play is appealing to me. But I also would like story progression and more ability to set the rules for the world overall (propriety, economy, technology, etc), so my wished for style of gameplay is probably really different than a lot of folks, and that’s okay.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    edited May 2020
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s possible to simulate religion (if you squint) in a single household, assuming everyone in that house is meant to share a belief system. Not so easy if you want, for example, a Christian and Jewish set of roommates to each celebrate their own holidays but not each other’s. But it’s not really simulated in the world, and to me that’s different. Your sims can’t “go to church” and meet new people who you didn’t arrange to be there and have to pretend entirely in your head share a religion. Sims aren’t going to autonomously leave for a worship service once a week like they might for scouts.

And, again, clubs have a limit of 8 people in them, and player-led clubs will never autonomously start a meeting, which is really not a good simulation of a whole belief system. And club rules only apply when the club meetings are active. You can’t make a club simulate the constant practice of a belief in daily life AND the gathering of a community on special occasions for special reasons with the current model.

The idea of being able to manage the rules for different “traditions” from manage worlds and the let those traditions run on their own when you play is appealing to me. But I also would like story progression and more ability to set the rules for the world overall (propriety, economy, technology, etc), so my wished for style of gameplay is probably really different than a lot of folks, and that’s okay.
    I would love this. So like holidays in Seasons we can make our own rules with it. It would help with sandbox play a lot.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

I think half the fun in a mixed religion household is to celebrate all holidays together. Regarding clubs it's possible to create many similar clubs but for different age groups and have them hold their meeting at the same place and same time, so you'll have about 40 sims doing the same thing.
    crocobaura wrote: »

I think half the fun in a mixed religion household is to celebrate all holidays together. Regarding clubs it's possible to create many similar clubs but for different age groups and have them hold their meeting at the same place and same time, so you'll have about 40 sims doing the same thing.

I mean it’s great that that works for you and how you like to play, but it doesn’t really address any of the things I said I would personally hope for out of a religion/tradition/belief system, and isn’t really a good simulation of what I’m thinking about.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    EA could also incorporate religions from other EA games into the Sims. Unitology from Dead Space and The Force from Star Wars saga.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited May 2020
    They could make a GP with all the major ones, symbols and stuff for each one, and simmers can choose for themselves what they want to use or not.

Religions and put it in with adding likes( color, foods, music) attraction system, and maybe more interactions (I love you- always available) and emotions stuff. Maybe adding more to CAS. Belly rings, passies(round and square)- for toddlers and infants, ECT. Patch- body hair, fiancee in relationship panel, more relationships(step-, aunt, uncle, cousin, ECT.

Spiritual is on the inside and so are many things above. Maybe a plastic surgeon career A sim personality type of EP.
    davina1221 wrote: »
    They could make a GP with all the major ones, symbols and stuff for each one, and simmers can choose for themselves what they want to use or not.

Religions and put it in with adding likes( color, foods, music) attraction system, and maybe more interactions (I love you- always available) and emotions stuff. Maybe adding more to CAS. Belly rings, passies(round and square)- for toddlers and infants, ECT. Patch- body hair, fiancee in relationship panel, more relationships(step-, aunt, uncle, cousin, ECT.

Spiritual is on the inside and so are many things above. Maybe a plastic surgeon career A sim personality type of EP.
    That sounds really cool too. I shared your idea with the SimGurus too @Ivyeyed and they thought it was really good, so we'll see. I hope that you share your ideas with the Gurus too @davina1221. I would love an attraction system back. I think keeping it open ended would be the best solution since religious beliefs can vary even if they are the same depending on what part of the world someone lives and just how someone is raised too.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    a definitive answer why not want religion and why gurus never will add it:
    Religions ban LGBT relationship
    The Sims is LGBT friendly
    End of discussion
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    How many people will you offend by having their religion in a game with vampires and magic? Or when you inevitably get the details wrong? Or if you don't involve their religion? Or a religion they don't agree with?

Think of a number.

Then double it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    leo3487 wrote: »
    a definitive answer why not want religion and why gurus never will add it:
    Religions ban LGBT relationship
    The Sims is LGBT friendly
    End of discussion

Please don’t say “religions” when you mean “very specific sects of some Abrahamic religions”. There are plenty of beliefs and traditions that either accommodate or even reverence queer identities. Regardless, building a system for going to a weekly sermon or following a personal dress code or something doesn’t mean they have to do the extra ridiculous work of building an entire prejudice system that has never existed in-game. That’s wild and unnecessary and would be easier to not include than include.

Sometimes I stream.

Loanet wrote: »
    How many people will you offend by having their religion in a game with vampires and magic? Or when you inevitably get the details wrong? Or if you don't involve their religion? Or a religion they don't agree with?

Think of a number.

Then double it.

I mean, this community gets mad when they add or don’t add anything to the game (me included!). By this logic we’d never get another expansion at all. So 🤷🏻‍♀️
    Sometimes I stream.