Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Heightmap problem

Hey guys! I tried to make the heightmap for my Urbz world but it shows up flat in my world.

Here's what the actual map looks like:

37233.png

And here is my heighmap for it:

A9k6Ajc.png

Can somebody please take a look at this for me? Thanks!

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hi :D

If you open the height maps from CAW you can get the gray values for the heights you want. Black would be the lowest water level. :)

Or, did you try the 300 height/level?
  • AmaterasuChanAmaterasuChan Posts: 310 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hello! :D

I did actually pick this one from all three heights, I tried the 100, 200 and 300 shades, and neither worked. And I indeed did try the 300 height level. :(

I love your worlds by the way!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks! :D

CAW isn't working on my laptop and I don't know why... Try lightening the gray, maybe? :(

Hopefully someone can look at it. Good luck! :D
    edited October 2013
    Hmm... I don't understand... I even made the land pitch white and it still does this:

wfBg7Qz.png
  • StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited October 2013
    You should add "width=600" just before the [/img] of your image.
    The complete image will then be visible in your post.
    You'll need to increase the contrast between lowest & highest level of hightmap.
    Black being lowest & white highest.
    If you make the bottom of the river very dark grey & land med/light grey.
    The 200 or 300 map will probably work.

Edit: I'd consider re scaling river. It might be a bit big on a 2048 x 2048 map.
    If you're planning on using a distant terrain with your world.
    You'll not want to build too close to edge of map
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
    edited October 2013
    But I have been remaking the Urbz map on a different scale, if I change the size it won't be the same.

And honestly that's what I did, I picked the greys from 100, 200 and 300s and neither worked, so I just tried white and black and it did this^
    edited October 2013
    Anyone? :/
    edited October 2013
    Okay, so I, instead of starting a new world with the heightmap, this time, started one with a default flat map, then imported the Urbz one. It raised the terrain really high and the river was still nowhere to be seen. I exported the heightmap and actually when I use my Urbz heightmap, it becomes like this:
    2LOJlu8.png
  • lburky70lburky70 Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    I have problems with height maps. I have tried to create my own height maps and every time I make ONE island in Photoshop I get TWO in CAW! I've tried everything overlaying previous images and even trying others and I will either get TWO distorted islands or ONE flat plain. I'm not sure what to do does anyone have a suggestion?
  • aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited November 2013
    Iburky, that sounds like some issue with your image size.

For both of you, I would pick out one of the pre-made heigh maps (the island, for example) and duplicate that image file, and open that file in whatever image editing program you are working with. Make a new layer (if you can) and make it entirely black. You can hide that new layer to go back to the island png and select shades of gray, and then go to the new layer and draw whatever you want. For the urbz map, I would just past it into this document and adjusted it to the right size, and then adjust the contrast/brightness/curves to bring the grayscale into something that looks reasonable. based on the island png. Before you do this, it might be helpful to open up the island in CAW to get a sense of what it looks like

When you are done editing your new height map and before you save, merge all your layers down (flatten the image) to a single layer. IYou can check and make sure the mode/scale of the image is what it should be, but you shouldn't have to change anything since you are just editing an image that you already know works. Save it, change the name if you want, and import this edited file back into CAW. That should work.
  • MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post this as a PSA for anyone else having a similar problem (which is how I came across this).

My issue was a bit different -- CAW was applying my custom height maps to only half of the map despite that I used one of the default templates as my base. I tinkered around and eventually got a version that applied the height map twice, side-by-side in the world. I realized that the former image had a bit depth of 32 and the latter had a bit depth of 8.

Like how the thumbnail required for your world is 16 bit depth, so is the height map. I use the free image software called GIMP, which has not had an automatic way of toggling this until recently, so I've always found this frustrating when trying to make my thumbnails (I've always had to tinker with settings until I stumble upon the right combination to end up with a 16 bit depth save file).

LUCKILY, the new GIMP 2.10 and newer (first released April 2018, latest version as of this post was released April 2019) now have a "Precision" option under the "Image" drop-down. You can pick 16-bit and it will automatically convert the file for you!

Hopefully this helps someone else having this issue and Googling for a solution :smile: If you don't already have it, you can download the latest version of GIMP for free from gimp.org. Happy Simming!
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
  • kemtri98kemtri98 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Morningstar said:
    > I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post this as a PSA for anyone else having a similar problem (which is how I came across this).
    >
    > My issue was a bit different -- CAW was applying my custom height maps to only half of the map despite that I used one of the default templates as my base.

I'm having the exact same issue, except I'm using the newest version of GiMP and set the precision to 16 and it's still happening. I'm so frustrated.