Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we talk about the sims 4 rebrand vidio ?

Comments

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    My avatar shows you just what kind of player I am ;) I didn't get this picture by not letting a pregnant sim starve to death only to make her a playable ghost, deliver a ghost baby and then return to the netherworld to let her older daughter raise the ghost baby... (obviously TS3, I was surprised I can't have ghost babies here, not even just a ghost whoo-hoo :( )

Guess we shouldn't talk about most of my houses having secret basements and what is in those either... >:)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

TS4 is the first game where i get judged for letting bad things happen to Sims. I never was judged for that before. I'm a deviant player in many ways, but softened up over the years. I think seeing a Sim starve in The Sims would shock and horrify many new players today. It's not pretty with them begging for food, and looking right into camera begging the player. However, this is the first forum where I have seen players have to defend why they would allow some Sim to suffer. It used to be a common joke we slapped a Sim around because they were so darn annoying. Now, it's like omg, you are such a horrible person. Lyndsay said at the release of TS4 they didn't want players to feel bad for not taking care of their Sims etc., however, they have done the very opposite and removed anything that could help a player tell that story or type gameplay. It's' so childish, I never admit I have played it.
    Ugh yes the beating positivity down my throat annoys me. I hate being judged for being a deviant player too. It is like that dark humor that made the Sims feel like the Sims got taken away to make it E rated like MySims games. I hate playing it safe with the Sims. People don't understand being deviant helps me cope with my chronic health issues.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited November 2019
    Scobre wrote: »
    I completely agree with this. Even though I use video games as an escape from my illness there is a fine line between using it for fun and burying your head so you can’t see the world. Weirdly enough when I’m really low mentally I can’t play the sims. It’s depressing to me to see my sims do normal things I can’t or struggle with. I can some times play other video games but The Sims franchise is a big no no. I read this article and the writer also acknowledges using the game as a crutch was not good for state of mind:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8x8a53/i-couldnt-get-pregnant-so-i-played-the-sims-4

You hit the nail on what has bothered me about the Sims 4 too and why I find it the most depressing iteration of the series. It is like they tried to make the Sims 4 like MySims which was made for kids and free from anything that is deemed dangerous. I mean I know that a lot that worked on MySims also work on the Sims 4, but I don't want the main game to be like MySims. It's why Simmers are so angry at each other. They have all this anger that normally they can vent in the game, vent it on social media instead and it just isn't healthy for anyone. It is like the idea of the purge instead of it happening in the game, it is happening in the Sims community and if EA wants to kill another Maxis community by making it too "safe" and depressing their customers to do dangerous acts like what happened with EA Sports that's on them to encourage that competitive and aggressive behavior within the community rather than providing a way to purge in their games by making them entertaining instead. No one likes to be bored out of their mind with preschool games.

TS4 is the first game where i get judged for letting bad things happen to Sims. I never was judged for that before. I'm a deviant player in many ways, but softened up over the years. I think seeing a Sim starve in The Sims would shock and horrify many new players today. It's not pretty with them begging for food, and looking right into camera begging the player. However, this is the first forum where I have seen players have to defend why they would allow some Sim to suffer. It used to be a common joke we slapped a Sim around because they were so darn annoying. Now, it's like omg, you are such a horrible person. Lyndsay said at the release of TS4 they didn't want players to feel bad for not taking care of their Sims etc., however, they have done the very opposite and removed anything that could help a player tell that story or type gameplay. It's' so childish, I never admit I have played it.

There's an interview with Will where he talks about failure states in the original game back in 2000, and he says that as soon as they made it possible for things like fires, fights and the like to occur they knew a large amount of players would actively pursue them, so they worked to make the negative side of things as engaging as possible for those players.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I saw the new ad - thanks for providing the video! I didn't hate it, but it made me feel awkward and a little embarrassed for the people featured. The fact that people play The Sims as a way to relieve whatever stress they have caused by their situation was too "in your face". People are already playing that game as a stress reliever without needing to watch any commercial, so I'm not sure if it would cause a great boost to profits for EA. I do think they got the idea for that ad from what a lot of people here have posted about playing the game to calm them while going through illness or emotionally upsetting times, etc.

I think it would be a great idea to promote and sell the game to hospitals for patients to play during their hospital stays. I'm an RN and I had found that the patients that recovered quickest are the ones distracted from their illness in some good way. Having family and other loved ones visit the patient is pretty effective but sometimes that's not always the case for every patient. So lots of hospitals provide flatscreens that have cable TV and some computer games - why not TS4?

Also, the rebranding is already being aimed at younger kids, so why not use some of it's features to teach them something? When the devs introduced the environmental conservationist career in the IP GP for example, I thought to myself that it would be a great and fun way for children to simulate hands on participation to learn to care for their environment and see for themselves how good stewardship makes a positive environmental impact. I also think there are other things in this game that can used be as an interactive learning tool and won't take too much effort and time to customize it for teaching specific things. In that respect, EAxis can work with teachers about how TS4 can be used for whatever specific topics they want to teach.

I suppose one can also use TS1 through TS3 for these ideas as well, but I think TS4 is best suited because it's pretty dumbed down and a lot more simple than the previous iterations. You want the young students and patients to be able to learn quickly and play it in a short amount of time. Also, it's very cartoon-colorful which would appeal to the young kids and might also cheer up the patients. I also think it's an added plus that it's much harder for sims to die in TS4 and that its easier to make the sims happy. Those two features that normal simmers don't like would actually be good and fitting for these two demographic groups.

I still don't like TS4, but I hate seeing anything go to waste. It's a crappy game because of its weak game engine and I honestly think the devs were demoralized by the fact that they couldn't implement greater features because of that. But it might not be so crappy if TS4 can be re-used or re-invented for use towards the aforementioned groups - its limited abilities might actually be just right in their cases. Not only that, but having TS4 used in those institutions is advertisement for EA, giving the students and patients a "taste" - if they enjoyed TS4, they might buy their own copy of it and/or the more advanced and better The Sims games.

I'm making these suggestions because I figure if EA gets more money, they will put more funding towards making TS5 greater (*please!*) - the superior final result of TS5 in turn WILL also return greater profits for EA and its stockholders, also us simmers will be happy and united again as one group, not only for the entire run of TS5 but many years to come.
    edited November 2019
    Yeah I think what bothers me most is how much bullying is promoted especially for fans. Like unless you are positive 100% of the time you are pretty much told to shut up and go away. So why there is so much irony with the video. Especially with the deep dive live stream with chat I really saw how toxic the fan base is for the Sims 4 watching fans attack other fans, Game Changers, and Sim Gurus. The whole moderation of the Sims community seems to be lacking during the Sims 4 with how long it takes for illegal actions to be addressed if addressed and met with consequences at all. It is because of that lack of moderation why the Sims community remains as toxic as it is and honestly thing it is something that all EA games suffer including EA Sports. I really think that Simmers need to be moderated equally and not just directed towards those providing constructive feedback. There is so much bias towards the fan base that it has created an ugly entitlement with them. I see it a lot with a lot of the more popular Game Changers how toxic the fan base can be towards them and so bossy and entitled.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Yeah I think what bothers me most is how much bullying is promoted especially for fans. Like unless you are positive 100% of the time you are pretty much told to shut up and go away. So why there is so much irony with the video. Especially with the deep dive live stream with chat I really saw how toxic the fan base is for the Sims 4 watching fans attack other fans, Game Changers, and Sim Gurus. The whole moderation of the Sims community seems to be lacking during the Sims 4 with how long it takes for illegal actions to be addressed if addressed and met with consequences at all. It is because of that lack of moderation why the Sims community remains as toxic as it is and honestly thing it is something that all EA games suffer including EA Sports.

I don't think this is a limited to EA problem or that it's just the simming community. I don't believe a lack of moderation has caused it and it remains toxic just because people can and there a lot more people online these days. For every one you remove it's likely 2-3 more pop up. All game companies have this problem with their "fans". You can hide behind the internet so easily, people aren't afraid to be toxic because there will be no consequences. (A ban is no big deal). I've seen it just as bad over on Blizzard's sites. Just last year (I think, it may have been longer or even shorter) COD producers had to put out a request to "remind" "fans" that devs are people too, because their community was being so toxic. It's everywhere unfortunately.

As far as legal actions taking a long time, could be just as much a fault of the law system and not enough resources there to clear the back log.
    edited November 2019
    Camkat wrote: »
    Yeah I think what bothers me most is how much bullying is promoted especially for fans. Like unless you are positive 100% of the time you are pretty much told to shut up and go away. So why there is so much irony with the video. Especially with the deep dive live stream with chat I really saw how toxic the fan base is for the Sims 4 watching fans attack other fans, Game Changers, and Sim Gurus. The whole moderation of the Sims community seems to be lacking during the Sims 4 with how long it takes for illegal actions to be addressed if addressed and met with consequences at all. It is because of that lack of moderation why the Sims community remains as toxic as it is and honestly thing it is something that all EA games suffer including EA Sports.

I don't think this is a limited to EA problem or that it's just the simming community. I don't believe a lack of moderation has caused it and it remains toxic just because people can and there a lot more people online these days. For every one you remove it's likely 2-3 more pop up. All game companies have this problem with their "fans". You can hide behind the internet so easily, people aren't afraid to be toxic because there will be no consequences. (A ban is no big deal). I've seen it just as bad over on Blizzard's sites. Just last year (I think, it may have been longer or even shorter) COD producers had to put out a request to "remind" "fans" that devs are people too, because their community was being so toxic. It's everywhere unfortunately.

As far as legal actions taking a long time, could be just as much a fault of the law system and not enough resources there to clear the back log.
    That is true. Yeah Overwatch I have to play on mute because of the trolls there too. Just because it is normal doesn't make it right still. I mean I know Simmers really don't like being called sheep following others, so a change wouldn't hurt. Like rise above the crowd type of thing. I know there are a lot of Simmers that are younger now, but it is sad when younger gamers than teenagers are starting to act more mature than the Sims community these days. It just felt like I was in a room full of preschoolers the same age as my nephew.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    edited November 2019
    Camkat wrote: »

That is true. Yeah Overwatch I have to play on mute because of the trolls there too. Just because it is normal doesn't make it right still. I mean I know Simmers really don't like being called sheep following others, so a change wouldn't hurt. Like rise above the crowd type of thing. I know there are a lot of Simmers that are younger now, but it is sad when younger gamers than teenagers are starting to act more mature than the Sims community these days. It just felt like I was in a room full of preschoolers the same age as my nephew.

Absolutely agree. It's disturbing how the general population has gotten. Which does circle back to your point on the questionable "safe space" that this video is trying to push. Maybe it is in game, but certainly not when you go out of game and try to interact with the community.

The internet has always had it's share of jerks, but it has seemed like it's gotten worse lately. I don't remember it being as prevalent in TS2 days (here or anywhere). Maybe I was too young to pay attention, but.. I think I was pretty aware of my surroundings.

Oh and your right, nothing makes it right or justifies it. It's just a really sad fact. I guess all we can do is try to filter it out for ourselves the best we can. The people directly hit (like Dev's and such) I hope grow thick skins.
  • VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    LOL The girl in the beginning at :10 "Things can happen that you would not expect." WRONG. Nothing unexpected happens, one of my biggest complaints about TS4.

This video is stupid. I don't even get what they are trying to do with this advertisement, as if before now only certain people could or did play the sims? I'm kind of sick of all this social engineering crap that's going on with big companies these days. We get it, everyone is different, it's not a new concept, it's been known since the beginning of time. Give me an advertisement telling me how the devs are going to do things different and how they are going to change and make improvements and start listening to the community more and I'll give you some money.
    Vagenius wrote: »
    LOL The girl in the beginning at :10 "Things can happen that you would not expect." WRONG. Nothing unexpected happens, one of my biggest complaints about TS4.

This video is stupid. I don't even get what they are trying to do with this advertisement, as if before now only certain people could or did play the sims? I'm kind of sick of all this social engineering plum that's going on with big companies these days. We get it, everyone is different, it's not a new concept, it's been known since the beginning of time. Give me an advertisement telling me how the devs are going to do things different and how they are going to change and make improvements and start listening to the community more and I'll give you some money.
    Everyone is different which Maxis doesn't get with their life simulation game making all the Sims Stepford robot clones. It's sad when the supernaturals in the game have more humanity to them than the Sims that are supposed to simulate humans.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Then some of you really are not going to like this -

https://www.herl.pitt.edu/symposia/virtual-reality/presentations/LoPresti.pdf

http://www.gamestudies.org/0601/articles/griebel

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/402387/sims-psychology/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/200311/the-sims-suburban-rhapsody

How Sims are used in Psychology today...... so not just the devs think its a good idea. I also know several schools in Massachusetts that have a class or two for 4-6th graders where they use the Sims 2 to teach social skills, running a household, positive behaviors etc in special education classes. They have had nothing but positive results and their parents seem quite happy about it from what my sister -in-law tells me. She was one of the teachers who first brought the game before the school board 12 - 14 years ago.

Here's what the UK did:

https://www.nfer.ac.uk/publications/FUTL49/FUTL49.pdf

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Getting only young people in the video and turning away anyone older than 25 was a massive mistake and advertising disaster. If someone was old enough to play sims when it first came out in 2000, they are in their late 20s at youngest, nearing 30. Many players are in their 30s, 40s, 50s and above.

This video is looking in the faces of all the players who made the franchise profitable and saying "We don't care about you anymore."

This~
    I am from 1992, so I was 8 when playing The Sims 1. I think this is a big slap in the face for people who started the whole popularity of The Sims Franchise in the first place.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

How Sims are used in Psychology today...... so not just the devs think its a good idea. I also know several schools in Massachusetts that have a class or two for 4-6th graders where they use the Sims 2 to teach social skills, running a household, positive behaviors etc in special education classes. They have had nothing but positive results and their parents seem quite happy about it from what my sister -in-law tells me. She was one of the teachers who first brought the game before the school board 12 - 14 years ago.

Here's what the UK did:

Are you really trying defend a add.That was meant to advertised the game ?

Here's what the UK did:

I see a big difference between doctors and teachers using it as a tool to help people, with them, watching and guiding versus EA flat out targeting a demographic that may or may not be getting the mental help they might need and using it as application instead of getting that help.
    edited November 2019

Here's what the UK did:

Not going to deny Sims 1 and Sims 2 did help teach psychology better than the Sims 3 and 4. Whole moodlet system is such a flawed system to show real human emotions. Turned the Sims into a MMO game rather than a simulation game.

Sims 4 is actually closer to the narcissistic personality disorder:
    https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder.htm

It is actually a quite common thing with the psychology of dictators throughout history:
    https://www.anxiety.org/psychology-of-dictators-power-fear-anxiety

The constant need for everything to be perfect. What it is "These individuals are "preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success" and "power." They believe they are unique and can only be associated with others of equally high status. Furthermore, they require excessive admiration to remain happy, possess an extreme sense of entitlement, exploit others, and are often envious of others." I mean that has been the main focus of the Sims 4. So yes that is my biggest fear of this iteration is developing this in the younger generation of Simmers. They are like sponges absorbing this information and honestly doesn't hold a bright hope of the future with encouraging this behavior in the Sims community both with social media and within the game. The game itself is promoting bullying through this type of psychology and some might be ok with an aggressive future for the Sims community, but I'm not. I am going to be one of the Simmers that is going to have to live with it with the Sims 5. Thankfully some of those have already threatened that Sims 4 is going to be their last game, so I just need to hold on a bit longer for that to happen.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Here's what the UK did:

Here's what the UK did:

That’s all from the Sims 2 and 3 era. I really don’t see how Sims 4 could help. “Oh, look, your sim took a shower and now she’s perfectly ok again, see that?!”
    5JZ57S6.png
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Looking at the posts in the links, the games concerned are TS2 & 3 - which are much better and more in depth games, the setting is school use, and the participants are those with disabilities. This is a completely different situation than the blatent propaganda that started this rukus.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Here's what the UK did:

Here's what the UK did:

That’s all from the Sims 2 and 3 era. I really don’t see how Sims 4 could help. “Oh, look, your sim took a shower and now she’s perfectly ok again, see that?!”

If anything, using The Sims 4’s Sims for anything pertaining to psychology is a GREAT way to get kicked right out of the field. :lol:

It seems they were going for a cartoony behavior approach with The Sims 4, but as realistic as TS2 and TS3’s Sims were, they were far more entertaining to watch, interact with, and develop throughout their lives.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I guess I can forget about this franchise ever being described as Diabolically Delightful, ever again. :'(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Here's what the UK did:

Here's what the UK did:

If anything, using The Sims 4’s Sims for anything pertaining to psychology is a GREAT way to get kicked right out of the field. :lol:

It seems they were going for a cartoony behavior approach with The Sims 4, but as realistic as TS2 and TS3’s Sims were, they were far more entertaining to watch, interact with, and develop throughout their lives.
    Yeah Rachel and Lucy said the game's direction was going the sitcom outlet rather than the simulation outlet. Why I am happier with new leadership now with someone who has a better understanding what made us get into the first two games and honestly worked on my favorite gameplay features in the Sims 2. It was almost as if Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs for cut off at esteem at what the game focused on was the smaller two areas of the pyramid self-actualization and esteem for the Sims 4. Everything else got forgotten and hidden under the rug.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Here's what the UK did:

Here's what the UK did:

Yeah Rachel and Lucy said the game's direction was going the sitcom outlet rather than the simulation outlet. Why I am happier with new leadership now with someone who has a better understanding what made us get into the first two games and honestly worked on my favorite gameplay features in the Sims 2. It was almost as if Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs for cut off at esteem at what the game focused on was the smaller two areas of the pyramid self-actualization and esteem for the Sims 4. Everything else got forgotten and hidden under the rug.
    My problem with the first edition was that I never got passed stage 1 :sweat_smile:

5a54826fc4b16a00015d3789_5a2e8a0189ff870001e03b91_Maslow_nv.png

5JZ57S6.png
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

Here's what the UK did:

Here's what the UK did:

Can you link that ?

Here's what the UK did:

Here's what the UK did:

Can you link that ?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYMtwINXI

They didn't consult psychologists while making the Sims 4 and were not going for making a life simulation game pretty much but focusing more on CAS, drama, and individuality. Why it has been so hard to ask the Gurus to turn the game into a life simulation game because without that the Sims 4 no longer reflects the simulation part of its name. It is like how do you ask them to deviate from the initial vision for the game?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I guess I can forget about this franchise ever being described as Diabolically Delightful, ever again. :'(

I'd settle for delightful. Best can hope for is playable.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

Here's what the UK did:

Are you really trying defend a add.That was meant to advertised the game ?

It was not an ad it was a government study.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....