Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Decades Challenge

Comments

• LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Pebblycat wrote: »
    Such an interesting challenge so I’m giving it a go!
    A few questions...
    Can the wife/female Sim paint and sell the paintings? Just wondering if she can contribute to household funds at all?

With the new off the grid trait you can’t use the phone to get a job so does that mean the male sim can only do crafty/gardening things? Is it ok for him to collect items and sell them? Original rules say no jobs but @CuteCoffeeGal rules allow it?

There seem to be a lot of tricky things with Off the Grid, so I may change that in the 1890s rules. You can play by whichever set of rules you want to play - the reason I started updating the rules a couple years ago is because the original rules had not been updated for any new packs, and I also wanted to be a bit more nuanced about what was allowed in each decade. I did do some research to make sure the jobs in each decade were realistic, so if you play by my rules you'll be much truer to what would have historically been allowed, but you don't have to have jobs if you don't want to!

I've just started a british version of the decades challenge and tried to go with the off the grid lot trait, but a lot of the stuff that you should be able to use isn't usable and it drove me mad (why can you only cook certain things with gas?!)

There's a bit of it at the beginning of my Let's Play which I've just uploaded if you fancy seeing my frustration..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwdz21D8VTA&list=PLDqCJDGYIHN0m3mRv95wzeCeQs8T2Pfnb&index=4&t=0s

I was so looking forward to using the off-the-grid trait for the decades challenge but things just don't make sense in context.
  • Hoppel785Hoppel785 Posts: 122 Member
    I have a question, what about the odd jobs? One can assume that now and then? There are jobs where you can collect shells or lawn mowing.
  • CallmecrazeCallmecraze Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm trying it, and I am still on 1890's. My eldest child is teen, my youngest just born.
    The to the blog is liitlellasplace.blogspot.com (just copy and paste)
    Oh, yeah. Also, to simulate arranged marraige in the 1890s, I was thinking about female sims have to cheat with relationships with their spouse (to cheat their romantic to full then cheat it to bottom). Is that ok? It just happened in the 1890s, so I was thinking it would be okay.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Oh, yeah. Also, to simulate arranged marraige in the 1890s, I was thinking about female sims have to cheat with relationships with their spouse (to cheat their romantic to full then cheat it to bottom). Is that ok? It just happened in the 1890s, so I was thinking it would be okay.

I think part of the MC ("extra") has a option of "no strings attached"
    6adMCGP.gif
    > @MadameLee said:
    > Callmecraze wrote: »
    >
    > Oh, yeah. Also, to simulate arranged marraige in the 1890s, I was thinking about female sims have to cheat with relationships with their spouse (to cheat their romantic to full then cheat it to bottom). Is that ok? It just happened in the 1890s, so I was thinking it would be okay.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think part of the MC ("extra") has a option of "no strings attached"

Thanks!
  • theaethanrealmtheaethanrealm Posts: 62 Member
    I'm doing this challenge, and it's been really fun. My 1890s sims were called William and Anna Brown, and they had six kids named Mary, Elizabeth, James, Rose, Helen, and Edward. All the kids are adults now and I'm currently playing in the 1900s with the heir, Edward. His second child is just about to be born, and I'm really excited for that. This is a great chllange
    origin id - theaethanrealm
  • CuteCoffeeGalCuteCoffeeGal Posts: 256 Member
    Hoppel785 wrote: »
    I have a question, what about the odd jobs? One can assume that now and then? There are jobs where you can collect shells or lawn mowing.

Hey @Hoppel785! Here's what is in the rules for odd jobs:

"Odd Jobs: Various odd jobs are available for you to earn a little extra money. Given the significant variety of these jobs, it’s difficult to place them within the Decades Challenge structure. Use your best judgement when determining if a certain odd job would be available based on your Sim’s age, gender, race, and any other historical restrictions."

So if you get one for judging a sandcastle competition, you can probably do that pretty early on in the Decades Challenge. If you get one for beating a high score on Blicblock, then you probably shouldn't do that odd job until the 90s or later. Make sense?
    #EAGameChanger on YouTube: Let's Plays, CAS, Speed Builds - I'm currently playing the Decades Challenge! https://www.youtube.com/c/CuteCoffeeGal
    Gallery ID: CuteCoffeeGal
    Twitter: @CuriousLindsey
    The Decades Challenge rules have been updated for The Sims 4: Moschino! Find the updated rules at: http://bit.ly/DecadesChallengeRules #EAGameChanger

xffpLQ8.png

Let me know if I've missed something. Can't wait to see what everyone does with this pack!
    #EAGameChanger on YouTube: Let's Plays, CAS, Speed Builds - I'm currently playing the Decades Challenge! https://www.youtube.com/c/CuteCoffeeGal
  • MoonbeammagicMoonbeammagic Posts: 1 New Member
    I know this is quite old, but I've just started this challenge, hope it'll be one that keeps my attention for ages (I'm one of those people who get board on one sims game easily). I'll post some pictures here!
    Who else is watching ZombieCleo's new decades challenge she started? I became interested in the challenge as soon as she started. Coincedence or what?
    Who else is watching ZombieCleo's new decades challenge she started? I became interested in the challenge as soon as she started. Coincedence or what?

OMG, I had no idea @ZombieCleo had started a new Decades Challenge! Thanks for sharing. This is so awesome, will definitely have to give it a watch!
  • Hoppel785Hoppel785 Posts: 122 Member
    @CuteCoffeeGal, Thank you for your answer and yes, that's what I thought. At the time, there were many day laborers who needed a casual job.
  • Enigmagirl13Enigmagirl13 Posts: 1 New Member
    Currently working on a 100 baby challenge but this sounds like something fun to do while taking a break. Two good questions (not sure if its been answered yet or not), do you keep on the same lot for the majority of the game play? And when does a new era actually start? For clarification, that means does the new era start when the first born is a child, teen, or young adult?
    Currently working on a 100 baby challenge but this sounds like something fun to do while taking a break. Two good questions (not sure if its been answered yet or not), do you keep on the same lot for the majority of the game play? And when does a new era actually start? For clarification, that means does the new era start when the first born is a child, teen, or young adult?

I don't think you need to keep the same lot, though there are rules about when apartments would be normal for families. For the changing decades piece, here's what's in the rules:
    Some people play this challenge so that as each new heir becomes a young adult the decade changes, and that is certainly the most simple way to play.

However, if you want to be a bit more exact, you can track each Sim day to know exactly when to switch decades. Using the Normal Sim Lifespan as a guide, we will assume that each Sim day is 6 months, so every 2 days the year changes, and every 20 days the decade changes.
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I tried this before and did not complete, however with the new GP Realm of Magic I am going to start with new founders with one of them being a spell caster. I really wish someone would revamp the medical career to have house visits and you have a small office out of your home. Back to the spell caster maybe do something along the lines of Salem Witch Hunts with a little of Hand Maidens Tale mixed with the story.
    The Decades Challenge rules have been updated for The Sims 4: Discover University! The way time works had to change pretty significantly to account for University terms - let me know if something needs clarifying! Find the updated rules at: http://bit.ly/DecadesChallengeRules #EAGameChanger
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited November 2019
    @CuteCoffeeGal Why is the Journalism career forbidden in the 2010s?
    edited November 2019
    Edit: Accidental double post.

Because real journalism is dead :D

There's not a historical reason for that one, so feel free to ignore it!

Because real journalism is dead :D

There's not a historical reason for that one, so feel free to ignore it!

Oh. There are still news websites, but I suppose that's pretty much true.
  • HenliocHenlioc Posts: 8 New Member
    I didn't see this question yet, what about using the thermostat in for central heating? Central heating has been around for a while but when do people start using it in this challenge?
    Henlioc wrote: »
    I didn't see this question yet, what about using the thermostat in for central heating? Central heating has been around for a while but when do people start using it in this challenge?

I think air conditioning started gaining popularity in the 1950s.
  • HenliocHenlioc Posts: 8 New Member
    [quote="SimQueenie9;c-17341153"][quote="Henlioc;c-17341136"]I didn't see this question yet, what about using the thermostat in for central heating? Central heating has been around for a while but when do people start using it in this challenge?[/quote]

I think air conditioning started gaining popularity in the 1950s.[/quote]

But what about central heating? That's been popular since the 1700s apparently, obviously not the exact same as we have today but the concept still.

I think air conditioning started gaining popularity in the 1950s.

But what about central heating? That's been popular since the 1700s apparently, obviously not the exact same as we have today but the concept still.

I would assume electric heating didn’t become a thing that a significant number of people had until at least the 1930s?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top