Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Combination Community Lots

Comments

• Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    @Livin in Sim I've never used a community laundromat yet, so I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. I know in TS3 they used to profuce a bag of laundry from thin air to put in the machines, for a price. Perhaps TS4 does the same? Hampers do fill up without machines on the lot.
    Do you have access to the Black and White party? Could that work for your Charity Organiser? Alternatively, perhaps an unscored dinner party?

@CaprianaB Would you be sharing pictures of this food court lot? ;)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2019
    I never figured out how to make the NPCs do laundry. I don't think there is a Club Activity for that, is there?

I haven't seen NPCs do laundry nor investigated club activities, either.
    I've also heard washers/dryers don't work on retail lots. I never tried using them with my active Sim as I figured I would need to have dirty laundry with me, and I don't know if you can put that in your Inventory.

Washers and dryers work on community lots. I sometimes find dirty laundry in inventories of my sims, but only had one of them use a washer and a dryer on a community lot once. As washing and drying clothes take some time, the sims might need something to do while the washer and the dryer do their jobs.
    I don't think linen piles even spawn unless you have the machines, do they? And then there would be no point in going to the laundromat, haha. Or do the hampers fill up without machines on the lot? Has anyone actually used a laundromat in some fashion, or are yours just decorative?

I have not really used laundromats as the sims don't pay to use washers and dryers at community lots.
    You actually only need a laundry basket to have laundry spawn, and for some reason sims might put dirty laundry in their inventory even when they own a washer at home. <

---
    Edit on November 6: I just found a sim with some dirty laundry in his inventory.
    2019-120.png

As writing in an earlier posting, a washer and a dryer are found in a bowling bar. That's where he went to wash his clothes.
    06_11_10.png

06_11_11.png

06_11_12.png

While the washer did it's job, the sim was sitting in the bar having a curry sausage and a least one drink.
    06_11_13.png

A while later, the laudry was clean and was moved to the dryer.
    06_11_14.png

06_11_15.png

When the laudry was dry and taken from the dryer, it went into the inventory.
    2019-121.png

Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »

@CaprianaB Would you be sharing pictures of this food court lot? ;)

I've never shared pics on the forum before. If I figure out how to do it, I will share.
  • Options
    @CaprianaB I use Imgur to host the images, then share the link for forums. It's quick and easy to use, if that helps :)
  • Options
    Never used Imgur. Might have to check it out.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @CaprianaB You can also use a Tumblr account to put your pics on. It’s super easy to upload pictures to. Then just right click the pic and choose copy image address. It literally takes me 60 seconds or less to put a picture up.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    @CaprianaB You can also use a Tumblr account to put your pics on. It’s super easy to upload pictures to. Then just right click the pic and choose copy image address. It literally takes me 60 seconds or less to put a picture up.

Good to know! I have a Tumblr account, but it's themed (not Sims). Will think about creating a sub account of Imgur doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I have a lot and it is the only way to make The sims 4 and it's worlds/lot restrictions somewhat bearable!

- High end fashion shopping street with only very expensive stores! Above it is an office for sims in the fashion or stylist career. It looks like these people influence the sims that shop below them down the the street.
    - A office block with different offices on every floor for different active or freelance careers of sims. Below I just put a coffee place where they can go for a break. I also make a gym in that office block and perhaps a spa for some relaxation.
    - Made a school where are the classrooms functions for a certain activity, skill group or club interest. Kids and teens can come here after school and wok on their skills or interests for various reasons. There is also a music and theater corner.
    - A big movie theater in SDV where famous sims come to. It works as a cinema as well as a small theator for my acting club to practise.
    - A high school gym hall to play basket ball that I will also use for my teen sims to enjoy a prom night! It is decorated with proper prom decoration, a dj boot, foot corner and a photo shooting screen.
    - A toddler daycare that is basically a play paradise for toddlers and kids as well as a meeting place for mom sims. Too bad there is no option for that in the club system for now. Would love to invite only moms with their toddlers.
    - A hotel with a restaurant on the rooftop.
    - An opera building where sims can come to play their musical masterpieces and earn money as well as a fancy restaurant
    - An old historical church with a cute little coffee place side to it. The church is a bit like a historical museum.
    - Shopping square and an icecream shop for teens, couple and friends to hang out

I have a lot more, but cant think of them right now :p Need to open my game
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    I never figured out how to make the NPCs do laundry. I don't think there is a Club Activity for that, is there?

I haven't seen NPCs do laundry nor investigated club activities, either.
    I've also heard washers/dryers don't work on retail lots. I never tried using them with my active Sim as I figured I would need to have dirty laundry with me, and I don't know if you can put that in your Inventory.

Washers and dryers work on community lots. I sometimes find dirty laundry in inventories of my sims, but only had one of them use a washer and a dryer on a community lot once. As washing and drying clothes take some time, the sims might need something to do while the washer and the dryer do their jobs.
    I don't think linen piles even spawn unless you have the machines, do they? And then there would be no point in going to the laundromat, haha. Or do the hampers fill up without machines on the lot? Has anyone actually used a laundromat in some fashion, or are yours just decorative?

I have not really used laundromats as the sims don't pay to use washers and dryers at community lots.
    You actually only need a laundry basket to have laundry spawn, and for some reason sims might put dirty laundry in their inventory even when they own a washer at home. <

---
    Edit on November 6: I just found a sim with some dirty laundry in his inventory.
    snip

As writing in an earlier posting, a washer and a dryer are found in a bowling bar. That's where he went to wash his clothes.
    snip
    While the washer did it's job, the sim was sitting in the bar having a curry sausage and a least one drink.
    snip
    A while later, the laudry was clean and was moved to the dryer.
    snip

When the laudry was dry and taken from the dryer, it went into the inventory.
    snip

Ah, thanks, @BoergeAarg61, that was very informative. And thanks to everyone else who answered about potential laundromats. I shall have to try to replicate this. How neat that it will work somewhat. I will put a hamper, but no machines in some of my apartments, and see if I can get a linen pile to spawn in a Sim's inventory. I know it will spawn on the floor if the Sim is a Slob, so it sounds like I could pick that up and put in the inventory, too. There will be a lot of other stuff for the Sim to do on my large lot where the laundromat is. It was really cute that your Sim could have a drink and eat while the linen washed, haha.
  • Options
    @FurSimsOfficial you've got some great ideas there! I've often thought about an opera-type building with fancy restaurant. Does that work well for you?
    @BoergeAarg61 Thanks for those screenshots. I've been thinking that this kind of lot will be handy for Uni students in the new pack. Lovely to see how it works! a013.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @FurSimsOfficial you've got some great ideas there! I've often thought about an opera-type building with fancy restaurant. Does that work well for you?
    @BoergeAarg61 Thanks for those screenshots. I've been thinking that this kind of lot will be handy for Uni students in the new pack. Lovely to see how it works! a013.gif

There is actually a very nice opera restaurant building here from an AMAZING creator. You can edit the stage a bit so sims can also come there to perform while other sims come to dine. It gives a lovely atmosphere.

All though I wish sims would actually sit and enjoy other sims playing music and get up to throw some money at them.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @FurSimsOfficial Thanks for the link. That lot is incredible! <3
    Have you ever tried this mod: Various Seating Fixes/Additions? It prompts the sims to actually sit down when they're performing, so it might help a bit? It's been updated for the new patch.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @FurSimsOfficial Thanks for the link. That lot is incredible! <3
    Have you ever tried this mod: Various Seating Fixes/Additions? It prompts the sims to actually sit down when they're performing, so it might help a bit? It's been updated for the new patch.

Thanks for that! I seriously need to some new mods in my game to fix these old problems. Do sims then also sit during a wedding ceremony with this mod? Would be perfect!

EDIT: oops already got my answer when I clicked the link ;)
  • Options
    I only discovered it myself today, when LittleMsSam mentioned she'd updated it for yesterday's patch. They'll also sit for the Starlight Accolades, which I'm very pleased about!
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited November 2019
    I made an "artist colony" on the big empty beach in Sulani. It's technically a retail lot. I downloaded a residential lot from the gallery with a fairly simple hut extending over the water on the left side of the lot. I refurbished that, and turned it into a shop to sell art. On the right side of the lot, I added a row of Tahitian/Bora Bora style huts (with beds) on stilts extending far into the water, with a spa hut at the end, all with big open windows looking over the water. In the middle of the lot, there are a couple of loungers and some yoga mats. There are also easels sprinkled around the lot in various spots. (And if we get pottery or other such items, I will add those!) My goal is ultimately for my Sulani local landscape artist to purchase the lot and sell her art there, but my non-Sulani sims, especially the artsy ones, use it as a vacation spot/quasi hotel.

Post edited by Amapola76 on
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I made an "artist colony" on the big empty beach in Sulani. It's technically a retail lot. I downloaded a residential lot from the gallery with a fairly simple hut extending over the water on the left side of the lot. I refurbished that, and turned it into a shop to sell art. On the right side of the lot, I added a row of Tahitian/Bora Bora style huts (with beds) on stilts extending far into the water, with a spa hut at the end, all with big open windows looking over the water. In the middle of the lot, there are a couple of loungers and some yoga mats. There are also easels sprinkled around the lot in various spots. (And if we get pottery or other such items, I will add those!) My goal is ultimately for my Sulani local landscape artist to purchase the lot and sell her art there, but my non-Sulani sims, especially the artsy ones, use it as a vacation spot/quasi hotel.

Wow! I love this idea. Do you have any pictures to share?
  • Options
    @Amapola76 I'll second the request for pictures. It sounds lovely! I've often toyed with that sort of idea myself. I've played Artist Colony quite a bit and the idea of a community of artists does have quite an appeal <3
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    I’ve made a super extra vet/spa hybrid for my celebs and their pooches in Del Sol Valley?

Nearly every shop I build, I build with apartments above for the shop owner too. I would experiment more with combined lot types but...

They need to overhaul combined community lots man as they don’t really function correctly, I’m sure we alllllll know lol.. I’d rather we could set the lot activities rather than lot type, and have more options like with restaurants.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited November 2019
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Wow! I love this idea. Do you have any pictures to share?

I thought I had some saved, but can't find them. But I would be happy to try to add them when I have some time to jump back in the game, probably this weekend.

I toyed with the idea of putting it on the gallery, but since the first building on the lot came from someone else on the gallery, I wasn't sure about the etiquette involved... like whether it would be ok to upload with credit to her for her part, or whether I shouldn't do it at all. And I couldn't figure out how to contact her directly.
  • Options
    @ddd994 I'm working around that by changing the lot type in game when I want it to be something else. That seems to work for me so far.
    @Amapola76 I have no idea how the etiquette for the gallery works, to be honest. I rarely share on it.

Bringing this out again because I've been having some fun with these ideas. Here's Creek Street:
    pGP22sS.png?1

Cinema on the left, restaurant in the middle and bowling alley on the right. I've set it as a bar for the cosmic bowling and townie bowling teams but I'll switch it to restaurant from time to time when I want to use it as such. It's going to be interesting to see how the gameplay goes!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2020
    I built a retail lot with a huge mall. Elevator can be downloaded from the Gallery so I put one in.

I also made a Broadway theatre for a Broadway Legacy challenge I co-created with 3 amazing Simmers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    @Scobre They both sound lovely! Do you have any pictures? <3

• Options
    ScalesssScalesss Posts: 10 New Member
    What kind of functionality do you guys have with generic lots? I had my community center set as one and no one seemed to use it. I also couldn’t set it as a hangout for a club. I had to set it as a park instead, which didn’t really fit what I was going for.

I also am interested in doing a combined retail and restaurant lot. Is this possible? I assume you’d just have to pick one lot type and ‘switch’ for times that you want to use it as the other.

I’m sure it would be more clear to me if I could download lots on the gallery, but I can’t. It’s blocked where I live 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Scalesss wrote: »
    What kind of functionality do you guys have with generic lots? I had my community center set as one and no one seemed to use it. I also couldn’t set it as a hangout for a club. I had to set it as a park instead, which didn’t really fit what I was going for.

I also am interested in doing a combined retail and restaurant lot. Is this possible? I assume you’d just have to pick one lot type and ‘switch’ for times that you want to use it as the other.

I’m sure it would be more clear to me if I could download lots on the gallery, but I can’t. It’s blocked where I live 🤷‍♀️

The generic lots don't tend to bring anybody to the lot. I tried it out with a science/robotics lab and nobody turned up. I switched it to a museum and it started bringing people in.

For combined retail/restaurant, you do need to switch it around. I do that for my current Bowling Alley/Restaurant/Cinema. I built the lot, set it as a 'bar' and put the appropriate items in. Then I switched to 'Restaurant' and put all those items in. Now I can change it during gameplay if I want to use the other facilities.
  • Options
    etoetoetoeto Posts: 4 New Member
    I made a teen hangout spot. The lot type is a restaurant, where I have a diner type of place. Separate building for arcade, with consoles and all the gaming items the game offers. There's also a basketball court in the back, a fountain sitting area. I also added a cafe, but the the coffee bar thing never spawned a barista. I have a club on top of the cafe, but no one ever goes there :'( It looks nice and it's a good way to take your sims out for different activities in one place. I wish I had some screenshots to share, I really like the place.