The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question About Moving.

Is there a way you can move to a different lot and leave the house you had behind exactly as it was EXCEPT for what you've chosen to pack in your Sim's family inventory? Moving in TS4 seems to be a dice roll as to whether or not things stay, get deleted, or chucked into your family inventory.

Example: Say you're playing a Sim and their parent. Parent dies, and you want your Sim to move out of that house for whatever reason - maybe there's not enough money and you want a smaller and cheaper place, or you're imagining the Sim wants a fresh start, or whatever story angle you're going for. But you do not want to take everything in that house, nor do you want that house empty/deleted. Is this possible?
Sims YouTube
Twitter
Gallery ID: jacechu06

Comments

• jacechujacechu Posts: 87 Member
    My apologies, guys. I did some testing, and it seems like what I am asking for IS possible. Sorry to clog up the forums!
    Sims YouTube
    Twitter
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Ooh, is it? I didn't know that! I think I've only moved a sim into a new house once recently. Thanks for that, useful information a040.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • jacechujacechu Posts: 87 Member
    edited November 2019
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Ooh, is it? I didn't know that! I think I've only moved a sim into a new house once recently. Thanks for that, useful information a040.gif

Yes, it's also very simple. All you need to do is pack whatever you want in your family inventory, and select "sell furniture". You will take that stuff with you, but also leave everything ELSE behind. Kind of adds a touch of realism, to be quite honest. I've always enjoyed building houses that are empty outside stuff IRL that you wouldn't really move from home to home (at least here in America) and letting your Sim keep their furniture such as beds, tables, couches, ect, ect. Just like IRL. I think I will do a video tutorial on it this week. I know it's a simple feature of the game, but with Uni coming out, players may want to do a lot of "temporarily move out of THIS house and into another one, but move back again" scenarios, and I feel like it might be a good idea to show how moving works!
    Sims YouTube
    Twitter
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    That's brilliant, thank you for that! I'll bear that in mind, it's really helpful!
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • SouthernPuchuuSouthernPuchuu Posts: 4 New Member
    I will hang on this thread to make another question:
    I just moved a sim who lived alone to another household (in which some relatives already lived), and chose to sell all the furnishing, thinking I would get extra money for them. Unhappily for me, I got no cash at all! I had no idea of how it worked, and thought I would get paid for the sold furniture (which is the most logical thing! Don't you think so?). The point is that I want (and need) the money from those items, and it's not a deal to buy the house again, sell everything, and move again to the new one, since I have to pay the price of the furnished home, which is higher than my budget.

So, resuming, do I have any chance to get the money from that furniture?

Is it so unfair not to have the opportunity to have all of your investment back :(

Greetings
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
    edited January 2020
    Welcome to the forums @SouthernPuchuu
    You should/will definitely find that the “available funds” increases by the value of the furniture when you “sell furniture” upon moving house. The difference is the value of the furniture only, because you get the value of the house whether you keep the furniture or not. The corresponding funds are reflected in your household account minus the cost of the new accomodations. Hope that helps.

In the case of merging households (moving in with someone else) the accounts will be combined.
  • SouthernPuchuuSouthernPuchuu Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks @NRowe
    Then I think there's a bug, because I got no money at all by selling the furniture. I hope it will get fixed soon. But, I think that's over for me :( I already saved the game :(
    Maybe I could cheat for getting the same amount of money I lost due to this, but I tried to get away from the cheats in general.
    Anyway, I'd be glad if anyone could prove this is a bug.