Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University set in England

I'll have to buy it then! It's home to me. Britechester is based on England and the weather will reflect that. It is a typically rainy, cloudy world.

What I particularly liked: The Repo man is back if you get into debt and the robots. I wonder if I could get an army of them to take over the world? One rainy day though, oops, they are all busted!

https://simscommunity.info/2019/11/09/discover-university-everything-we-learned-from-the-deep-dive-livestream/

Comments

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Set in England but has elective classes, cheerleaders, mascots and no kitchens in dorms.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Set in England but has elective classes, cheerleaders, mascots and no kitchens in dorms.

I am glad they are trying to have other influences besides America. This is an international game after all. There never were kitchens in dorm buildings where I went so it's realistic to me.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm from England too! Hooray, rainy weather!!!

And what's a soccer ball? I know what a football is! Ha, ha!
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

Exactly!
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited November 2019

I don't think there are cheer leaders according to Simscommunity but something like "pep rallies" from his info. Some UK universities have a mascot eg. Kent has a rabbit, one has a carrot! Some Universities have "Rag Weeks" where things like mascots get held up for Ransom for charities.

Imperial College London probably started all this judging from their history!

"Imperial has an age-old tradition of mascotry, symbolising its spirit and character. Mascots are either ‘inviolate’ (they can’t be stolen) or ‘violate’ (they can be swiped and then held for ransom). The kidnapping of mascots is a game of skill, cunning and opportunity played by the various students’ unions to raise money for well-deserving, student-run charities (RAG). Imperial College Union President 2011–12, Scott Heath, described it as “an adults’ game of hide and seek”. Those caught attempting to steal have faced retaliation, such as being covered in motor oil, wood chips and a can of lasagne, before being set free. Don’t say you weren’t warned."
    https://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/mascots/

PS: My brother called football, soccer but then he went to a school where they played Rugby. :smiley:

Another two UK mascots with a fascinating history
    https://kingscollections.org/exhibitions/archives/mayhem/origins/mascots
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited November 2019
    It does look like England!! From the buildings the very green outdoors. Which reminds me I miss London.

The houses in the Town area do remind me of Amsterdam too. (But I also saw houses like that In the UK).
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Another English simmer here! I agree, it is nice to have a world that feels a little more like home.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I can't believe what good timing this is. I'm playing an English BACC game - Britechester being set in England couldn't be better! a030.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    On one hand, I hope the weather lives up to my current expectations.
    On the other hand, all those robots not being waterproof or water-resistant in that weather? ;)

But it's awesome either way :D
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    As another British player, I agree that it's great to have a university that looks like it fits right in with our historic university towns :)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm definitely thinking Britechester for my Sims, despite the weather. (I'm an Anglophile who hates rain. I'd still move back to London without a second thought.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • CAF84CAF84 Posts: 113 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

I am glad they are trying to have other influences besides America. This is an international game after all. There never were kitchens in dorm buildings where I went so it's realistic to me.

It is great to have a different feel to the place (like Windenberg and Sulani), but they never should have put that restriction in. If they want to make the game international, then they should make it as broad as possible. Restrictions are the opposite.

I’m a Brit too and from my experience, most unis have halls of residence which are flats of up to 6 single rooms with a communal kitchen area. All of my friends from school who went to different unis had the same setup. There are of course older halls that had a dining hall and no flats (I imagine, though I never visited, Oxbridge colleges to be like that. It just seems to strange to set the game in England/UK and then put a restriction in there that makes recreating British halls of residence (and I’m sure a huge number of other countries too) impossible to recreate.

They didn’t even explain why they’re restricted (if I recall, I may have been fuming at that point). How is restricting sand box play and the ability of players to play the game they want or tell stories they want, a new feature that we should want?

I am not going to buy the game till it’s on sale and until this is modded out. There’s not enough actual university experience in there to justify the £40 and I have zero interest in robots. I really like the CAS assets (especially the leggings) and the roommate system is great (especially as you can ask anyone to be your roommate not just place ads), but I am not willing to pay £40 for some CAS items, a roommate system and a rabbit hole uni experience.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    I just hope it doesn't rain too much. It would be annoying (especially if you play with robots). ~_~
    He/Him
    On one hand, I hope the weather lives up to my current expectations.
    On the other hand, all those robots not being waterproof or water-resistant in that weather? ;)

But it's awesome either way :D

This was the first thing I thought of when they said it was England weather! I really wish they thought that aspect through because I might be forced to download a mod and I know we'll get lots of complaints if every bot event just has piles of broken robots because of rain!
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member

Same! I completed my postgraduate studies in England and let me tell you, it looks similar, but it's got many differences. I think the dorm rooms were neutral and could be thought of as belonging to many different parts of the world, I liked that. A bit disappointed with the features of the pack as a whole, but I really liked the bike animations, the robots, and the class system, though I would definitely want some active classes, not going to lie.
    CAF84 wrote: »

It is great to have a different feel to the place (like Windenberg and Sulani), but they never should have put that restriction in. If they want to make the game international, then they should make it as broad as possible. Restrictions are the opposite.

I’m a Brit too and from my experience, most unis have halls of residence which are flats of up to 6 single rooms with a communal kitchen area. All of my friends from school who went to different unis had the same setup. There are of course older halls that had a dining hall and no flats (I imagine, though I never visited, Oxbridge colleges to be like that. It just seems to strange to set the game in England/UK and then put a restriction in there that makes recreating British halls of residence (and I’m sure a huge number of other countries too) impossible to recreate.

They didn’t even explain why they’re restricted (if I recall, I may have been fuming at that point). How is restricting sand box play and the ability of players to play the game they want or tell stories they want, a new feature that we should want?

I am not going to buy the game till it’s on sale and until this is modded out. There’s not enough actual university experience in there to justify the £40 and I have zero interest in robots. I really like the CAS assets (especially the leggings) and the roommate system is great (especially as you can ask anyone to be your roommate not just place ads), but I am not willing to pay £40 for some CAS items, a roommate system and a rabbit hole uni experience.

Fair enough. From what I saw on the live stream, I actually thought the pack looked fun. Hopefully I won't be let down when I actually play it. I remember being so disappointed from what I saw from Get Famous that I held off on buying it. When I actually played the pack myself, it ended up being one of my favorite packs!

I agree it would have been better to not have the stove restriction. However, I think they were foreseeing the NPC roomies starting constant fires in the dorms when they did this. I am pretty sure Sims 2 had same restriction. I can't remember if Sims 3 dorms had same restriction.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    CAF84 wrote: »

Fair enough. From what I saw on the live stream, I actually thought the pack looked fun. Hopefully I won't be let down when I actually play it. I remember being so disappointed from what I saw from Get Famous that I held off on buying it. When I actually played the pack myself, it ended up being one of my favorite packs!

I agree it would have been better to not have the stove restriction. However, I think they were foreseeing the NPC roomies starting constant fires in the dorms when they did this. I am pretty sure Sims 2 had same restriction. I can't remember if Sims 3 dorms had same restriction.

I say let it happen! Let it burn, let it burn! >:)
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Tony89Tony89 Posts: 2,196 Member
    yay for the rainy and stormy weather, it's my favorite part of seasons, aside from heat waves. Also, did somebody say cheerleaders?? University will have cheerleaders??
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    No cheerleaders that I saw anywhere. But there are spirit events at each uni.

Watching the first gameplay videos & the rainy weather is real.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I don't think there are official cheerleaders but sims can perform cheers, like they could in Sims 2.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member

Exactly and the buildings look American too.

• secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    And it has GPA! And sports scholarships. For a 'not set in America' pack it seems remarkably American.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm British and I hate these European styled towns. I play the Sims to play out an idealised version of the American dream of yellow school buses and white picket fences. The dev said they added soccer instead of football and several other things to create a more "global experience." Well...
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    edited November 2019
    Simanite wrote: »
    I'm British and I hate these European styled towns. I play the Sims to play out an idealised version of the American dream of yellow school buses and white picket fences.
    This is exactly me too! To me it doesn't really feel like a Sims game when British things are included but it's nice to be represented, I guess.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    Simanite wrote: »
    I'm British and I hate these European styled towns. I play the Sims to play out an idealised version of the American dream of yellow school buses and white picket fences.
    This is exactly me too! To me it doesn't really feel like a Sims game when British things are included but it's nice to be represented, I guess.

You could say the same thing when you're an American living in America too; I'd want less Americentric content in my Sims games, not more; there's plenty of that already. I quite like the English vibe of the world just fine, although I could do with less 'American' terms in it. The Sims is an international franchise, and it shouldn't always be centered to American themes.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png